Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Somehow I am not surprised. A good-sized chunk of society is scared of black people, especially angry black men. I don't think I want to watch this show any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

You’re a loving rear end in a top hat, Dead Show.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mierenneuker posted:

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Are they recasting Anansi or just writing him out of the show?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
This show has to be a curse or something. A show wished for on a monkey's paw. No human could gently caress up this much.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mierenneuker posted:

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Mierenneuker posted:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I think management knows they hosed up by tinkering too much with the show, so now they're going to try tinkering some more to get back the previous ratings.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Hooray! I don't have to finish season two!

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
can someone summarize that video

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Jerkface posted:

can someone summarize that video

White people scared of angry black man.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
While this is certainly a big loss, Ian McShane is the star of the show, and as long as he sticks around I will keep watching.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Cojawfee posted:

This show has to be a curse or something. A show wished for on a monkey's paw. No human could gently caress up this much.

Yes, it's called Neil Gaiman.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
What a goddamn poo poo show this has turned into. I’m gonna have to keep watching just to see how far down this goes.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

The studio balked about the cost of the show from the beginning and by many accounts Neil Gaiman is a petty manchild who will throw a huge shitfit if you don't adapt his work exactly as it was put down on the page. From what I recall that's partly what made the original showrunners abandon ship.

Shame things have gone this way. I loved the first season, but season two has sounded bad by all accounts and it looks like they're not righting things any time soon.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't think season 2 was nearly as bad as a lot of people around here said. I enjoyed it well enough but it is more directionless and meandering than season 1 and Gillian Anderson's absence is felt.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

PriorMarcus posted:

Yes, it's called Neil Gaiman.

A fair amount of the fuckups can also be attributed to Fuller, all asking for way, way more money per episode than any human being would think is reasonable.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Orlando Jones was good but his slave story wasn't integrated into the storyline so it was like episodes of a different show inserted into this show and made the series preachy, not better. Seems like they could have written him into the story better but the show kinda sucks anyway so I don't care.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

wormil posted:

Orlando Jones was good but his slave story wasn't integrated into the storyline so it was like episodes of a different show inserted into this show and made the series preachy, not better. Seems like they could have written him into the story better but the show kinda sucks anyway so I don't care.

...what the gently caress are you even talking about?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

mycomancy posted:

...what the gently caress are you even talking about?

The show American Gods. Do you watch it?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Looks like firing Jones isn't going over well:

https://twitter.com/staceyabrams/status/1205997057225437190?s=19

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Rando posted:

I didn't think season 2 was nearly as bad as a lot of people around here said. I enjoyed it well enough but it is more directionless and meandering than season 1 and Gillian Anderson's absence is felt.

Literally nothing happened. They spent all season looking for a spear, fixing a spear, and then it disappeared into magic land. The only interesting thing that happened was the leprechaun getting a backstory.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Ugly In The Morning posted:

A fair amount of the fuckups can also be attributed to Fuller, all asking for way, way more money per episode than any human being would think is reasonable.

If you are asking for a GoT level budget then you had better deliver GoT level viewers, but instead they got a show that nobody watched, expecting the network to actually increase the budget after that was crazy.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Orlando Jones was probably the best part of season 2, and that is a pretty huge loving accomplishment for a show that stars Ian McShane of all people. How a show survives loosing so many amazing actors will be interesting to see.

Oh well, I guess it's back to selling magazines door to door.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mierenneuker posted:

forever

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

Literally nothing happened. They spent all season looking for a spear, fixing a spear, and then it disappeared into magic land. The only interesting thing that happened was the leprechaun getting a backstory.

Since you said literally nothing happened while mentioning something that happened I feel justified ignoring anything else you say.

Rando fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Dec 15, 2019

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Rando posted:

Since you tried to say literally nothing happened after mentioning something that happened I feel justified ignoring anything else you say.

edit: mentioned two things really

I said literally nothing happened before I mentioned those two things. Did anything of consequence happen in season 2? The plot moved forward and then instantly moved back to where it was. Season 2 was a waste of time.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I mean, technically things happened in the sense that we didn’t watch 12 hours of a blank screen; but there was basically no plot progression or anything meaningful really happening. It was like fantasy Seinfeld.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
S2 would have made 2 great episodes or 3 good ones.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

I said literally nothing happened before I mentioned those two things. Did anything of consequence happen in season 2? The plot moved forward and then instantly moved back to where it was. Season 2 was a waste of time.

The Lord Bude posted:

I mean, technically things happened in the sense that we didn’t watch 12 hours of a blank screen; but there was basically no plot progression or anything meaningful really happening. It was like fantasy Seinfeld.

Fine, fair enough. I still think season 2 was solidly OK but I understand that "solidly OK" is a pretty lame bar to clear.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah yeah fiscal responsibility and all that, but Bryan Fuller makes incredible television and should be allowed to keep doing that, because he's really loving good at it.

Mierenneuker posted:

You're a loving rear end in a top hat, Dead Show.

:kiss:

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I wonder who will try to step up and fill his other role beyond the character outright from the existing cast? Or if they'll bring in some random other person outright?

Such a shame what is being squandered in this show---at some point they are going to have to realize that throwing down money and letting it fly is about the only chance a project like this has to go down as a true classic. It must be virtually impossible to strike lightning while treading trim and lightly.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Even before Season 2 started airing i remember reading a lot about troubles on the set caused by Jones. He had practically taken over the show half way through the season and started having actors improv their dialogue. It's why a bunch of them have writer credits.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
They’ll replace him with a young Asian girl and make it the internet culture meme version of Mr Nancy

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ExiledTinkerer posted:

I wonder who will try to step up and fill his other role beyond the character outright from the existing cast? Or if they'll bring in some random other person outright?

Such a shame what is being squandered in this show---at some point they are going to have to realize that throwing down money and letting it fly is about the only chance a project like this has to go down as a true classic. It must be virtually impossible to strike lightning while treading trim and lightly.

Woke Technical Boy

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Even before Season 2 started airing i remember reading a lot about troubles on the set caused by Jones. He had practically taken over the show half way through the season and started having actors improv their dialogue. It's why a bunch of them have writer credits.

I heard similar things but it seemed to be less that he (and McShane) were instigating dissent from the actors and more that with the constantly showrunner drama the scripts were either half-assed or nonexistent and the actors were left to pick up the slack so that the show could get finished on time and under budget. I think there are reports of McShane even saying as much somewhere.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
If you have Ian McShane and Orlando Jones on your show, and they want to help pick up the slack amid a bunch of confusion and frustration, then you should probably let them do it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Just read that the show's also fired the Djinn and the Taxi Driver, so the poo poo storm only continues to swirl.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Open Source Idiom posted:

Just read that the show's also fired the Djinn and the Taxi Driver, so the poo poo storm only continues to swirl.

Oh my loving God. I mean, I'd probably happily watch a show of Ian McShane sitting in an empty room talking to himself but that's not what this show was supposed to be!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Can Ian McShane play every character next season?

Tune in to find out.