Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

NoWake posted:

If it's got an EZ-pass, absolutely. I keep the electrostatic bag it came with in the glove box, just in case something like this happens.

There was an issue early on where people would start up an EZ-pass account & rack up a huge amount of tolls before they even had a chance to install the transponder. Turns out, the tolling agency was sending out activated transponders just plain in the box, shipping them ground, and it would ping at every toll gantry the delivery truck passed through.

Now realize, your account gets charged for the class of vehicle you're driving, not the class you've registered. If your transponder pings while riding in the back of a 5-axle semi truck, that's the rate you'll be charged. My Golf has been confused for a semi once, not sure how it happened, but the toll hit my account for like $35 instead of a $5.35 like usual. Took a few weeks to clear up, really annoying.

While I find this somewhat comical I find it hard to believe. Hell due to my windshield, mounting the drat thing is in like some small area for it to read. So a delivery truck full of these in a covered steel box and able to read them befuddles me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Colostomy Bag posted:

While I find this somewhat comical I find it hard to believe. Hell due to my windshield, mounting the drat thing is in like some small area for it to read. So a delivery truck full of these in a covered steel box and able to read them befuddles me.

Yeah it's honestly pretty snopes-able story, but also note a lot of semi trailers have fiberglass roofs

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-12-09/tesla-on-autopilot-rear-ends-parked-police-car-in-connecticut

quote:

A Tesla Model 3 sedan hit a parked police cruiser with its hazard lights flashing on a major highway near Norwalk, Connecticut, over the weekend. The collision occurred around 12:40 a.m. local time Saturday, when a highway-patrol vehicle stopped to assist a disabled SUV in the left-center lane of Interstate 95, according to a Connecticut State Police report.

On Saturday, the 2018 Model 3 was traveling in the same lane as the parked police cruiser, which it hit before continuing on and damaging the bumper of the disabled Jeep. The rear end of the police cruiser and front end of the Model 3 sustained “heavy” damage, but the state trooper was outside the police car at the time of the accident, according to the police report.

The driver of the Tesla told police his car’s Autopilot feature had been activated and he was not facing forward -- he was checking on his dog in the back seat, according to the state police’s Facebook post. Police issued him a ticket for first degree reckless driving and endangerment.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Teslas are comrades

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

xzzy posted:

I'm gonna go with drunk based on the banged up bumper and visibly low tread on that tire.. they're clearly complete idiots so drunk driving is definitely in the cards.

Yes, the parking job also looks suspiciously similar to the "waiting for a mate" guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6SMGrIaals

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I love when people get all pissy when you merge in front of them.

Just came home from the grocery store, merged onto a road well in front of another Escape. I needed in their lane so I gunned it and merged in front of them with plenty of room to spare.

They still saw the need to tailgate me aggressively and then flip me off as they drove past. I just filled my wiper fluid so they got a nice bath for their troubles.

At no point did I ever inconvenience them so the rage is just hilarious to me?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
But they wanted to be fiiiiiirrrssst!

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
Don't you know? They're driving an Escape*! The road is theirs! All other vehicles need to move out of the way!

*Also applies to any vehicle with the "Denali" tag or made by BMW

PremiumSupport fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 11, 2019

Dog on Fire
Oct 2, 2004

It does seem to me that because the stress levels on the road are so high people just take everything personally. Like when you accelerate and merge in front of someone it seems to them as if you'd just farted in their faces while hands with raised middle fingers were protruding from your car's every window. I've started merging behind cars for this exact reason if at all possible – seems a bit more 'respectful', even if the more sensible way would be to gun it a bit and merge in front. It's dumb, but I hope little gestures like this have at least some calming effect.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I generally pull in behind people as my first choice for the same reason, it's not worth sending someone into a blind rage. But on the other hand if they can't maintain a steady speed or hit the speed limit, my charity disappears real quick and I will gun it around them with no remorse.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
It's me. I'm the terrible driver.

I'm waiting at a yield on green left turn light, waiting to turn left.
Oncoming car put on their blinker and slowed to drat near a halt as they approached the intersection.
I assumed they were going to turn left and there was no other oncoming traffic, so I start turning left and as I do the oncoming car FLOORS the gas, and blows their horn and goes straight through the intersection.

I just gunned it through the intersection instead of waiting to be rammed by a homicidal maniac.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
https://i.imgur.com/bctkbNt.mp4

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Protocol7 posted:

Just came home from the grocery store, merged onto a road well in front of another Escape. I needed in their lane so I gunned it and merged in front of them with plenty of room to spare.

They still saw the need to tailgate me aggressively and then flip me off as they drove past. I just filled my wiper fluid so they got a nice bath for their troubles.

If you merge in front of me only to got 15mph, turn left immediately, or parallel park you're a dixk and deserve all the rage. People are also really bad at noticing that the car they pulled in front of actually had to panic brake to avoid a collision. I get a bunch of people pull out in front on my on 55mph roads and do a leisurely 25 with barely enough time for me to haul down to 25. Those people get the horn and maybe the finger. At minimum, if you're going to pull out in front of someone have the decency to not slow them down.
Oth, yes lots of people don't want you in front of them for any reason.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I get it, I do my best to not inconvenience people on the road the best I can. The guy was way behind me after I merged onto the road and had to be flooring it to catch up to me as I was already 10 over by the time he came up on my rear end. Not a major road, speed limit is 35mph.

Just some weirdo who wants a reason to be mad.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

The person filming is a huge rear end in a top hat letting her get as far as to put the leaking bag of gasoline in her trunk. I mean even they argue with you, at least you tried. This is an internet comedy forum and all, but people say "go die in a fire" because it's one of the worst ways to go.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Holy poo poo :stare:

How can you be a living, breathing adult human and think this is an even remotely reasonable plan?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

slidebite posted:

How can you be a living, breathing adult human and think this is an even remotely reasonable plan?

Some people really hate the idea of using reusable containers instead of disposable plastic bags.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Protocol7 posted:

I get it, I do my best to not inconvenience people on the road the best I can. The guy was way behind me after I merged onto the road and had to be flooring it to catch up to me as I was already 10 over by the time he came up on my rear end. Not a major road, speed limit is 35mph.

Just some weirdo who wants a reason to be mad.

I almost literally ran into an idiot behind the wheel of a box truck the other day. Getting on the interstate on my way to work, it's a bit slippery out (upper midwest, lots of snow already) but traffic on the highway is doing around 60mph. I'm accelerating down the ramp, which turns into a temporary 3rd lane and goes for a mile then becomes an exit only at the next ramp. Box truck signals and merges into the temporary lane in front of me, I figure he's getting off at the next exit and look back over my shoulder to try to find a gap in traffic. I pick a spot in front of the on coming semi and increase speed to get in front of him without being a problem. Whole process took maybe 3 seconds.

Look forward again, and the box truck has turned on his hazards, dropped anchor, and was now at a complete stop, still fully in the lane, and less than 100 feet from the bottom of the ramp! So I have a semi to my left, who can't move because of cars to his left, a box truck roadblock in front of me, nowhere to go, and not enough space remaining to slow down.

Fortunately for me the Semi driver on my left was awake and realized what was going on. He squished his semi as far as he could to the left which gave me just enough room to straddle the lane divider and squeeze past the box truck.

I hope a highway patrol found that box truck and unleashed holy hell upon the driver...

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/IxhmDEk.mp4

This is gonna take a whole lot of floorin!

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Dec 13, 2019

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

NoWake posted:

The person filming is a huge rear end in a top hat letting her get as far as to put the leaking bag of gasoline in her trunk. I mean even they argue with you, at least you tried. This is an internet comedy forum and all, but people say "go die in a fire" because it's one of the worst ways to go.

Yeah I agree, what is she going to call the cops on you for not letting her drive away with her Gasoline Bag?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Protocol7 posted:

Same happened to me a couple nights ago coming home from work, but it was a beat up, probably 10 year old Dodge Ram. Apparently merging ahead of someone with at least 2-3 car lengths of space is some kind of emasculating action so he blared his horn & threw his (one) bright headlight on like I was supposed to give a poo poo. Sorry not sorry, douche canoe.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Jackass in left lane of the freeway going 20 under the speed limit. I move to pass him on the right, he speeds up to where he's pacing me, pulls out his phone and mouths "you're going on YouTube".

Alrighty then.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
A lot of the dash cam channels are compilations of self-important assholes who easily could have avoided whatever traffic incident that occurred by not being a total rear end in a top hat. So, par for the course I guess.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

slidebite posted:

When I was a young man, I worked at a number of petrol stations and people would lose their poo poo at you if you caught them trying to fill anything which didn't meet the Australian Standard for a fuel container.

I saw plastic bags - one guy even came into the store to 'borrow' one so he could take it back out and fill it up, many kinds of glass bottles, the plastic buckets we kept the squeegees in, soft drink bottles (lots of those) and once even a waxed cardboard box.

When I refused to turn on the pumps and told them they'd need to get an approved container, they'd lose their minds and accuse me of just trying to force them to buy our horribly overpriced fuel tins.

I'd say, "No mate, I'm actually trying to save you from killing yourself. You can either listen or leave." And I wish I could say most would listen. Or even a few.

Also, I remember the guy who bought a newspaper because he was too cheap to buy a funnel.

Or the lady who removed the oil cap from her engine and tried to put her petrol in there.

When it comes to cars, people are idiots. Frightening idiots.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Dec 13, 2019

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I was driving the other night, around rush hour, so traffic was fairly busy. There was someone trying to turn left into my lane and obviously having a hell of a time with it because there was no traffic light there, and my lane was pretty much gridlocked. You may reasonably assume this person is the villain in the story, but it is not so; after waiting, they eventually found an opportunity to safely turn left and continue. No, the villain of the story is the second person who wanted to make this particular left turn, and was upset with how long the process was taking. They proceeded to pull into the oncoming lane beside the person who was originally attempting to turn left, and then they turned into the oncoming lane of the other road and "merge" into the lane I was in, apparently becoming quite aggrieved that people would not simply allow them in.

It was one of the most bizarre manoeuvres I've ever seen, made all the more impressive by its absolute shamelessness.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

Protocol7 posted:

A lot of the dash cam channels are compilations of self-important assholes who easily could have avoided whatever traffic incident that occurred by not being a total rear end in a top hat. So, par for the course I guess.

I love these, or more specifically the comments on these. I follow a few motorcycle accounts and they occasionally put up videos of a rider essentially getting merged in front of or somebody pulling out of a side street with tons and tons of room with no reason for anybody to be displeased. The rider then either speeds up to make it seem like they were getting cut off so they can pull up next to the "cager" and bust their side mirrors off or they swerve out of the way of the perceived danger they were in, hit a curb and crash.

I love the comments on these videos. They range from calling the rider a squid in some form or another to completely backing the rider while also saying that not only should the mirrors be busted off the car but also the driver of the car should be mortally wounded for the clear attempt on the rider's life.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

bigbillystyle posted:

I love these, or more specifically the comments on these. I follow a few motorcycle accounts and they occasionally put up videos of a rider essentially getting merged in front of or somebody pulling out of a side street with tons and tons of room with no reason for anybody to be displeased. The rider then either speeds up to make it seem like they were getting cut off so they can pull up next to the "cager" and bust their side mirrors off or they swerve out of the way of the perceived danger they were in, hit a curb and crash.

I love the comments on these videos. They range from calling the rider a squid in some form or another to completely backing the rider while also saying that not only should the mirrors be busted off the car but also the driver of the car should be mortally wounded for the clear attempt on the rider's life.

I saw one where a guy spun out after it had snowed wherever he was living. He said something about having bald all-seasons. Uh, yeah. No poo poo your car's gonna go careening off the side of an icy road if you have the worst possible tires for icy conditions?

There's one channel too that has some guy who makes frequent submissions and he's always rear-ending people. It's, uh, pretty easy to avoid that if you're not a tailgating rear end in a top hat.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Goober Peas posted:

Jackass in left lane of the freeway going 20 under the speed limit. I move to pass him on the right, he speeds up to where he's pacing me, pulls out his phone and mouths "you're going on YouTube".

Alrighty then.

That's when you point ahead of them all panicked like they're gonna hit someone & watch them hammer their brakes. Then glide on by & laugh like a maniac :v:

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Protocol7 posted:

I saw one where a guy spun out after it had snowed wherever he was living. He said something about having bald all-seasons. Uh, yeah. No poo poo your car's gonna go careening off the side of an icy road if you have the worst possible tires for icy conditions?

There's one channel too that has some guy who makes frequent submissions and he's always rear-ending people. It's, uh, pretty easy to avoid that if you're not a tailgating rear end in a top hat.

"We were 30 minutes from home and had to get a hotel room even though there was only 2" of snow on the ground"

"The wheel speed sensors went out & Tesla couldn't get replacements for 2 months, so the tires wore out super fast"

"LOVE the car"

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

redgubbinz posted:

This is gonna take a whole lot of floorin!

lmao what a fuckin' adventure

NoWake posted:

"We were 30 minutes from home and had to get a hotel room even though there was only 2" of snow on the ground"

"The wheel speed sensors went out & Tesla couldn't get replacements for 2 months, so the tires wore out super fast"

"LOVE the car"

teslaowners dot tee ex tee

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/donttrythis/status/1205621915877961729

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Or the lady who removed the oil cap from her engine and tried to put her petrol in there.

My ex had already put coolant in her washers and was about to put washer fluid in her oil when I wandered past on my way to the beer fridge and did an actual double take followed by the palms out arms extended nononononono thing.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

They sell coolant in bottles shaped like washer fluid now, angrymanyellsatcloud.jpg

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

My ex had already put coolant in her washers and was about to put washer fluid in her oil when I wandered past on my way to the beer fridge and did an actual double take followed by the palms out arms extended nononononono thing.

As an auto tech, I have seen many fluids put into the wrong places. Putting transmission fluid or engine oil into the brake master cylinder is a popular one.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Protocol7 posted:

Link? I think I would like to see this.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

I did something similar after replacing my daughter's radiator in her Jeep.

The coolant and washer tanks are next to each other. I pop both lids, go grab the washer fluid and then start pouring it in the coolant tank. I'm thinking, wth, it shouldn't take this much to top it off. And then I realized I was a dumbass.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
What the gently caress is this thing? I'm stumped.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

It's a Solara with....something grafted onto the rear. I want to say those are 4 Runner tails maybe?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Wheelchair mod?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

opengl128 posted:

It's a Solara with....something grafted onto the rear. I want to say those are 4 Runner tails maybe?

Explorer sport trac is the first thing I thought of, which is even weirder.