Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

beanieson posted:

Dolph Lundgren has a masters degree in chemical engineering and was awarded a fullbright scholarship to MIT.

He quit to be he-man though, so maybe he’s not so smart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
I maintain that Adrian Veidt's physical appearance had to have been based on Dolph Lundgren.

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

He quit to be he-man though, so maybe he’s not so smart.

His decision is echoing memes through time. What have you done to judge this great he-man?

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
I'm not a comic book villain. Do you seriously think I would explain my master stroke to you if there were even the slightest possibility you could affect the outcome? I killed Apollo three rounds ago.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

just another posted:

I'm not a comic book villain. Do you seriously think I would explain my master stroke to you if there were even the slightest possibility you could affect the outcome? I killed Apollo three rounds ago.

:vince:

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

just another posted:

Is there an actor with a physique like that who could also convincingly pull off being hyper intelligent?

Christian Bale, maybe.
If they were making a 2019 adaptation of Watchmen, Chris Evans would be a killer choice for Veidt. I think he could make Veidt seem both likable and utterly terrifying during the reveal.

Taber
Nov 17, 2007

Malkin's worst nightmare
Like others, I am concerned that they will abandon the racial politics for sci-fi bullshit. However, I feel setting up an interesting political world just to resolve everything with a sci-fi curveball isn’t breaking precedent, so I’m not sure how disappointed I’ll be.

Hey Chief
Feb 21, 2013

I wonder if they'll even touch on the time loop again, or if it's simply meant to parallel the other out-of-left-field sci-fi concepts like genetic trauma, mind control and memory juice, that all relate to subliminal messages and shared experiences.

Also, I predict that the Gamewarden will become God through tomato infusion. A being of boundless love to answer all our prayers? Soon we will all be enjoying our loving cake.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

I hope they follow through on how there’s an Old Testament God who tried and failed to make an Eden, then returns to Earth to experience a mortal life as a Black Jesus before allowing himself to die at the hands of white nationalists.

It seems like there’s something they can do with that to connect to the wider themes of racial trauma and historical atrocity in America.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Finally caught up with this over the last week, and the thread has been mostly fascinating to follow along with.

With the conversation of swapping Dr Manhattan’s powers hanging in the air, I’m assuming Angela would possibly/probably get them.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
I hope lube man gets manhattans powers, and a depowered Jon Osterman can raise his family and have a normal life with Angela

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

Taber posted:

Like others, I am concerned that they will abandon the racial politics for sci-fi bullshit. However, I feel setting up an interesting political world just to resolve everything with a sci-fi curveball isn’t breaking precedent, so I’m not sure how disappointed I’ll be.

If it goes nowhere then I wonder if it's an intentional parallel of Captain Metropopis' bait and switch or if they unintentionally satirized themselves.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Topher is gettin the Dr M powers, or already has them.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
I'm watching the rerun marathon right now, and literally barely into the second episode they have a discussion about how Dr Manhattan can't appear like us.

She's having the discussion with Manhattan. Just wtf.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

I'm watching the rerun marathon right now, and literally barely into the second episode they have a discussion about how Dr Manhattan can't appear like us.

There's a scene in ep 4 where Laurie is talking about when she was with Dr Manhattan and says "He's no Cal". It's pretty great.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

The show telegraphed it so many times, it always as "that's not possible", so much so that if you understood the language of the show you knew they were definitely telling you something that wasn't what was being plainly stated by the characters.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
https://twitter.com/watchmen/status/1206303516689621000

Season 2 persmaps?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Oh almost certainly. HBO have to know they’ve got a critical darling on their hands.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I wouldn’t mind seeing some more stories with different characters in universe, but I’m really hoping that this story is completely wrapped up tonight.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I have a feeling they wrote this with an ending that's meant to clearly be a single season and now they are going to have to figure out how to change that for the next one. (Kind of like Californication being written as a 1 season show, then becoming too popular not to continue.)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Spacebump posted:

I have a feeling they wrote this with an ending that's meant to clearly be a single season and now they are going to have to figure out how to change that for the next one. (Kind of like Californication being written as a 1 season show, then becoming too popular not to continue.)

I mean I'm sure when you're doing a sequel adaptation to a property that has had a movie adaptation as well as its own prequel, there's at least the idea in the back of your head that the people financing it will want it to keep it running. So while I'm sure Lindelof planned it out to be a one and done, I'm sure there's at least room for them to do something for a sequel (which probably just means they don't kill off large swaths of the cast tbh, Watchmen is already weird enough that there is a lot of stuff you can explore in this weird alt timeline)

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

Oh almost certainly. HBO have to know they’ve got a critical darling on their hands.

Westworld parallels...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Maybe Lubeman is season 2 bait. :thunk:

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Collateral posted:

Westworld parallels...

I was thinking True Detective, but same difference.

If they’re doing more, I seriously hope it’s anthology and not connected to this plot. And I hope they give the writers some real time to think about what they’re doing. Because pounding out more material in a fraction of the time and hoping people like it is how everything from Westworld S2 to Matrix Reloaded happens.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I want to see the full American Hero Story

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I'm glad that we might be getting a season 2, but I just hope we jettison all of this grimdark poo poo and go for something more hopeful. I'm think the next season brings back Rorshach, only hes changed, he voted for Hilary Clinton and he now does loads of Whedon-esque quips.

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin
I would love to see a season dedicated to Will dealing with The Minutemen being a bunch of phonies.

Blue Nation
Nov 25, 2012

Season 2 could be Dan and Laurie shenanigans.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I’m down for an entire season of Daniel drinking himself to death in a cheap apartment somewhere.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Blue Nation posted:

Season 2 could be Dan and Laurie shenanigans.

I would watch a season of Laurie just traveling around the country, dunking on people constantly.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

So the cops having copies of Dan’s Nite Owl stuff for police stuff just kind of fizzled out, huh? Tiny fast airships have no use in dealing with Trieu’s slow construction ships that just grab cars and fly away?

Just a hook for the series and maybe a suggestion of how Dan could be part of another season?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

So the cops having copies of Dan’s Nite Owl stuff for police stuff just kind of fizzled out, huh? Tiny fast airships have no use in dealing with Trieu’s slow construction ships that just grab cars and fly away?

Just a hook for the series and maybe a suggestion of how Dan could be part of another season?

I figure Tulsa PD probably only had the one, which they wrecked in the first episode. Those things don’t look cheap and the one they had was pretty old and busted.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

Maybe Lubeman is season 2 bait. :thunk:

I will definitely be tuning in for a Lubeman centric season two.

Xealot posted:

I was thinking True Detective, but same difference.

If they’re doing more, I seriously hope it’s anthology and not connected to this plot. And I hope they give the writers some real time to think about what they’re doing. Because pounding out more material in a fraction of the time and hoping people like it is how everything from Westworld S2 to Matrix Reloaded happens.

Wasn’t west world season 2 like almost 2 years after the first season? It was obviously lovely but I didn’t think being rushed was the problem.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

beanieson posted:

I will definitely be tuning in for a Lubeman centric season two.

Wasn’t west world season 2 like almost 2 years after the first season? It was obviously lovely but I didn’t think being rushed was the problem.

it didnt start production until a bit after the last ep of season 1 aired. so, like they didnt even start writing the story until after the last ep was aired.

and then it was rushed. no time to gestate or breath

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

KoRMaK posted:

it didnt start production until a bit after the last ep of season 1 aired. so, like they didnt even start writing the story until after the last ep was aired.

and then it was rushed. no time to gestate or breath

Well then that explains it. I’m hopeful for season three, the trailer with Aaron Paul was pretty great.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
Honestly, so far Lindeloff has pulled off Dr. Manhattan secretly living in Tulsa the entire time as a black man and I didn't hate it, so I think I'm gonna be fine with whatever moving forward.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
yeah i think you will be too lol

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
I can't wait to see how Adrian escaped his medieval prison cell with a goddamn horseshoe

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

was trying to read the thread but then decided to skip past way too many pages arguing agency v free will, all I want to know is have we figured out who Lube Man is yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

If Lubeman isn’t Agent Petey I will be shocked.