Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

I think Glasgow is the only city in the UK where you can say 'corbyn supported the IRA' and a sizable part of your audience will say 'good lol' and I miss it for real

*taps on Liverpool while John McDonnell looks at you with disapproving eyes*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

ThomasPaine posted:

I think Glasgow is the only city in the UK where you can say 'corbyn supported the IRA' and a sizable part of your audience will say 'good lol' and I miss it for real

Maybe we don’t celebrate the IRA in quite the same way itt?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

MikeCrotch posted:

On a related note I didn't realise Jessflaps has some Sarah Champion esque views about Asian people until I looked through her Wikipedia page today

Also her article in the Observer is a masterpiece of writing a ton of words to say nothing. Like I literally do not know her politics on anything other than "domestic violence and rape is bad" and "I should be prime minister".

I hear avoiding any kind of examination of what you stand for, believe or want has had a lot of success lately

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Octolady posted:

I dunno why it continues to be a thing but ughgh arguing with people about Corbyns involvement with the GFA/peace process/IRA is the worst. Such an emotionally charged thing to talk about. I have discovered a new one though. Apparently Seamus Mallon claimed Corbyn had nothing to do with the peace process and was just an IRA sympathiser. But I can’t find any evidence of him actually having said it except in quotes by Andrew Neil and the Spectator that I’m hesitant to trust.
No articles, no context, no date, but reported by several sources as truth. I don’t really know what to think, as
1. Mallon is still alive, publishes articles and presumably could call bullshit if he wanted to and
2. If Corbyn was the traitorous terrorist sympathiser they’re convinced he is, why did he continue to remain part of the Labour Party for 30 years? Surely they would’ve just got rid of him?

I don’t know enough about his involvement to argue effectively, which sucks. Not that it matters anymore I suppose, since he’s stepping down and no longer a threat.

Mallon did definitely say that back in like 2017, wanted to say it was through Eamonn Mallie but cant find the exact reference. I mean its not really surprising because the SDLP most definitely DID NOT like the Labour Left who by in large where very much not fans of them and largely rejected their position regarding the principle of consent (unification must only occur through the consent of the population of NI and NI alone) for the majority of the 80's and largely did not associate with them preferring the more conventional Republican position.

And Ireland policy was IMMENSELY controversial within Labour throughout the 70's and 80's with various factions all advancing different view points - some explicit pro-Unionists, the Time To Go lot (like Clare Short, Peter Hain) wanting to push Labour to actively support unification by seeking consent and the Troops Out Movement (which Corbyn and other left wingers where associated with) who wanted a simple commitment to withdrawal and unification. Ultimately Kev McNamara was put in charge of Irish policy in 87 and Unity by consent was accepted as the party position until the Blair years but this never exactly sat well with the left who saw it as a cop-out.

Supporting Republicanism in the 80's wouldnt get you kicked out of Labour because you'd porbably loose like 75% of the London irish votes tbh

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Total Meatlove posted:

Maybe we don’t celebrate the IRA in quite the same way itt?

I mean yeah also the IRA absolutely massacred civilians without one iota of a poo poo.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

I'm loving terrified of dying of diabetic ketoacidosis lol, great way to go I hear

If there's anything we can do here, you just ask. It'll be tough times ahead for all of us but I'd never forgive myself if you went out like that and I could have done something to stop it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Dabir posted:

If there's anything we can do here, you just ask. It'll be tough times ahead for all of us but I'd never forgive myself if you went out like that and I could have done something to stop it.

It's a trap Dabir he's just looking for tugjobs.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

I mean yes some of them will but I think that there's a bit of a disconnect in people's minds between terrorism and other kinds of conflict. The implication of course is that negotiating doesn't stop terrorism, that terrorism is just some unstoppable force we can only respond to by shooting them and more draconian laws.

But the IRA is demonstrably a case where negotiation stopped the conflict, or at least greatly decreased the intensity of it, which makes it far more like, say, occupying Afghanistan or Iraq, neither of which are particularly popular?

You don't have to like the IRA to want them to stop blowing people up, and if negotiation stops them blowing people up, make them justify not doing it, how many lives is their pride worth? At the very least you're reversing the initiative. Make them justify british deaths, justify sending our children to die for their pride.

You will never ever get an englishman with an IRA hateboner to back off. They want to nuke ireland and then blame ireland for it.

Tesseraction posted:

I mean yeah also the IRA absolutely massacred civilians without one iota of a poo poo.

gently caress off

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Tesseraction posted:

actually neither the provos nor the officials did this and the omagh bombing was dissident republicans who were against the GFA, up the ra

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I mean other things Mallon recently said: A Unity referendum should require a supermajority

He says things that a lot of people are going to uh disagree with

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Dabir posted:

it's very much appreciated but I have a decent stockpile for now and I will resort to criminality before I run out I assure you

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

everyone has needs

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

HorseLord posted:

gently caress off

Comrade you know as well as I do that not every bombing was justified, even if the greater cause was.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

Comrade you know as well as I do that not every bombing was justified, even if the greater cause was.

pretty much every bombing before omagh targeted legit military assets and where they were in civilian areas were called in ahead of time to allow for evacuations, the dissidents buggered this up big style

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

pretty much every bombing before omagh targeted legit military assets and where they were in civilian areas were called in ahead of time to allow for evacuations, the dissidents buggered this up big style

La Mon, Enniskillen, Claudy

All things the IRA actually loving apologised for because they realised they hosed up

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

kustomkarkommando posted:

La Mon, Enniskillen, Claudy

All things the IRA actually loving apologised for because they realised they hosed up

today I learned the provos were exactly as incompetent as expected lol

I don't actually give a gently caress about the provos really, bunch of catholic ethnonationalists who hosed my good official commie boys

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 16, 2019

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

OwlFancier posted:

If I was going to suggest a theme for the next labour platform then it should probably focus on the "left behind", places, people, who have been ignored by all governments. Because even if you yourself aren't doing badly, chances are you live somewhere that has been. Come up with some good plans to rebuild towns and cities, fix housing, schools, public spaces, the environment.

Because labour needs to win back those northern seats. It can't retake scotland and I don't think there's much more progress to be made in the cities.

It's also a good chance to really disown blair, or at least his politics, because you need to get out the idea that we aren't all the same.

With the impending loss of EU subsidies there's probably also an agricultural policy you could throw in there, local subsidy for local supply, with unneeded land being bought and reforested.

Yeah gotta agree with all of this. It's clear that so many of those northern places felt completely abandoned by Labour; making sure all the areas get proper attention and help is the right thing to do; and it's also a proper left-wing thing to do, suitable for Labour.

(Also have to mention again a better, simplified manifesto & better messaging on it. Make it super clear how things will be better under Labour. Don't dilute the policies (except maybe dumb ones like free broadband), just improve the messaging.)

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

ThomasPaine posted:

actually neither the provos nor the officials did this and the omagh bombing was dissident republicans who were against the GFA, up the ra

The IRA absolutely did murder a lot of people indiscriminately. You're whooping and cheering about this like you're supporting a football team.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Tesseraction posted:

Some outsiders might call this thread a circlejerk... little do they know...

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/HugoGye/status/1206349790080110594

quote:

One new law will state that all convicted terrorists must serve at least 14 years in prison, a response to the London Bridge attack which was carried out by an extremist who was released from jail early. Another bans "all out" strikes on public transport so that trade unions cannot shut down a rail company's entire operations.

In a bid to win over "generation rent", the Government will promise to outlaw no-fault "section 21" evictions, which allow landlords to instruct their tenants to leave a property without having to have a cause. A fourth new bill would stop local authorities from boycotting individual companies, apparently aimed at banning the anti-Israel Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions campaign.
unleash the social liberal within

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

crispix posted:

The IRA absolutely did murder a lot of people indiscriminately. You're whooping and cheering about this like you're supporting a football team.

you know I'm drunk and I'm angry about britain and you're probably right so I'm going to simmer down about it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A more compact manifesto probably would help and I can live without free broadband. That was a bit of a weird policy to be honest. I mean I liked it and it's a sensible one but... still a weird thing to headline with.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

you know I'm drunk and I'm angry about britain and you're probably right so I'm going to simmer down about it

I mean fair play on the first two bits so I won't hold it against ya

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

lol take a good look, this is going to be the next 10 years of parliament: "hmmm we need to make workers powerless... what can we do to balance it out? I know! forbid no-fault evictions! landlords can still evict a tenant by saying they want to go back to live in the property anyway"

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

I mean fair play on the first two bits so I won't hold it against ya

I mean when someone who I know is from NI and lived through that poo poo tells me my take on NI is kinda dumb and I've got it wrong I'm at least going to pause for a second

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/rey_z/status/1206276427072581632

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Is this how it's going to be now, poverty is a default state, any form of help is good optics.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Thank you for all the info, I couldn’t find it myself so was wondering where it came from and I don’t know enough of the history. I was suspicious of the quote as it seemed unsourced but couldn’t find another reason it wouldn’t be correct. Having some of the context behind it is helpful and I’ll need to read up.
Sorting out what Corbyn actually did or didn’t do during that time is a complete nightmare.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

HJB posted:

Is this how it's going to be now, poverty is a default state, any form of help is good optics.

Tory ideology is that poverty is inevitable because society needs hierarchy and winners need losers.

So... yes.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tesseraction posted:

Do you have any idea what DKA is like? I do, because I survived it ten years ago thanks to prompt treatment. If the Tories gently caress up the medical supply lines after Brexit while simultaneously wrecking the NHS, you should imagine 400,000 people dying on the floor vomiting blood. Any diabetic who is not horrified and scared right now is not thinking right.

Oh, and you voted for it.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Jedit posted:

Do you have any idea what DKA is like? I do, because I survived it ten years ago thanks to prompt treatment. If the Tories gently caress up the medical supply lines after Brexit while simultaneously wrecking the NHS, you should imagine 400,000 people dying on the floor vomiting blood. Any diabetic who is not horrified and scared right now is not thinking right.

Oh, and you voted for it.

Thank you but grow a sense of humour, jedit

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Look, I've known rich fucks in real life, I know the phrase "virtue signalling" has been used in unfortunate ways in this thread, but trust me when I say that if it ever applies to one case in particular, boy howdy is it theirs. I swear, look at the family of one of them ultrarich fucks, and you'll see a bunch of pet causes, charity dinners, etc etc, to which obviously they contribute piddly amounts compared to the amount of wealth they extract

It's something they do so they have something to talk about at dinner parties not even kidding

Suggest they should pay their taxes in full though instead of evading through elaborate schemes? Security, please take this commoner out of the room

gently caress the lot of them

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Pochoclo posted:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Pochoclo posted:

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
How's the labour leadership fight shaping up? Who's who?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nobody is anybody yet.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

so if the tories are softening up their economic approach a little bit while punching hard at minorities, what's even the point in running a social fascist like phillips or whoever, unless they're happy to be controlled opposition

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The point is that jess phillips gets to talk about jess phillips.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

OwlFancier posted:

The point is that jess phillips gets to talk about jess phillips.

https://twitter.com/BeardedGenius/status/1206277109980811264

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's weird because she looks like my driving instructor and I really liked my driving instructor cos she was lovely and very patient, so I get extremely conflicted feelings whenever I see her picture.