Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Open Source Idiom posted:

Just read that the show's also fired the Djinn and the Taxi Driver, so the poo poo storm only continues to swirl.

Wow. So the people who have been fired are all brown and/or queer.

gently caress this show, it's now under boycott in my home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
This is all clearly a ploy by Media to make us distrust the upcoming season

Oh wait no just racism

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Where'd all this "Neil Gaiman is a nightmare to work with" come from? All of his adaptations have had significant changes to them from their source material, so that has never seemed to be an issue with them. As I recall, he had a fairly hands-off approach with this show owing to the production of Good Omens.

Though honestly this is probably the worst book to adapt to a TV series, and then they went and tried to stretch less than half a book for two seasons? Season 3 is looking at the part of the book where literally nothing happens to Shadow. So, on top of Anansi getting axed, there's absolutely nothing going for this.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/neilhimself/status/1206336143731707905?s=19

Seems he wasn't even involved in the firing?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Did anyone actually think that he was? It's good PR to let him be involved in the production, especially since he has some passionate fans. But it would be pretty astonishing for any creators to have a real say in a tv/movie production of their work.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
After the shambles of last season and now all this poo poo I think it's time to write this show off. I've never been one to do that lightly, but this is the second show I've had to do it to this year.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

Just read that the show's also fired the Djinn and the Taxi Driver, so the poo poo storm only continues to swirl.

I don’t doubt it but do you have a link?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Malpais Legate posted:

Where'd all this "Neil Gaiman is a nightmare to work with" come from? All of his adaptations have had significant changes to them from their source material, so that has never seemed to be an issue with them. As I recall, he had a fairly hands-off approach with this show owing to the production of Good Omens.

IIRC one of the conflicts between him and Fuller was that the latter wanted to excise the Samantha Crow storyline completely (because it would make for boring TV) and Gaiman didn't.

Busket Posket posted:

I don’t doubt it but do you have a link?

https://twitter.com/MousaKraish/status/1206395874814726144?s=19

The backlash is getting pretty serious, I don't know how the show continues after alienating so many fans. It's not like it was hugely successful anyway. Reminds me of how Sleepy Hollow went down the drain.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Dec 16, 2019

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Oasx posted:

Did anyone actually think that he was? It's good PR to let him be involved in the production, especially since he has some passionate fans. But it would be pretty astonishing for any creators to have a real say in a tv/movie production of their work.

He has a very heavy hand in the production of Good Omens. I think I quoted the Variety article earlier in the thread but the production company that's making both shows had a first first look contract with Gaimen that was set to expire last June. The studio was desperate to extend and so have a lot of concessions to Gain an both before and after the contracts original end.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I wonder if Anubis was also disappeared at the going rate...would explain his pretty well total absence outside a throwaway line at the funeral parlor last season despite that absolutely making no sense in terms of his role.

They are getting close to a season 3 cold open that is just a title card stating all the black gods perished on the way back to their home planet in a tragic spaceship accident.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

mycomancy posted:

Wow. So the people who have been fired are all brown and/or queer.

gently caress this show, it's now under boycott in my home.

Neither the Djinn nor the cab driver were actually gay. Edit: The actors, I mean.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
:hmbol:

https://twitter.com/AdriOfTheDead/status/1206306923588521984

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/GaryJKings/status/1206405063209562112?s=20
https://twitter.com/acgodliman/status/1205937822349299713?s=20

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Fox news article comment Facebook picture.jpg

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

precision posted:

Neither the Djinn nor the cab driver were actually gay. Edit: The actors, I mean.

I think they were referring to Fuller. His firing had nothing to do with him being queer, though.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Whatever's actually going on, I can't muster up any fucks to give. The second season was a dud that barely moved the story--and isn't there still around half of the book's content to pare down to 10 episodes?

Originally I was conflicted over the show version of Anansi, but it ended up working fine as the show changed so much other material. Shame to see another scene-stealer walk... but at this point I'm over it. Maybe I'll re-read Anasi Boys, which I read before American Gods by at least a decade.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Holy poo poo that guy is like a real life Sacha Baron Cohen character lmao

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I think they were referring to Fuller. His firing had nothing to do with him being queer, though.

I believe the official, on-record reason for why he was fired was to specifically make me, Jerusalem, personally upset.

They succeeded :smith:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

ExiledTinkerer posted:

They are getting close to a season 3 cold open that is just a title card stating all the black gods perished on the way back to their home planet in a tragic spaceship accident.

Look, I mean, they did hire a black trans actress to play Ms World. But, like, I don't think that's going to make the show better all of a sudden.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Ugly In The Morning posted:

No, I swore that the Cab Driver was played by a gay man, but I appear to be wrong.

The brown part still holds up though.

baalaagaa
Apr 9, 2004
What a clusterfuck this show has turned into.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Has any show ever had such a good first season and just go completely haywire immediately after? It's as if the first season came down from space and nobody wants to talk about the rest anymore.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Has any show ever had such a good first season and just go completely haywire immediately after? It's as if the first season came down from space and nobody wants to talk about the rest anymore.

Heroes?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Prison Break had a massive quality gap between the first season and the rest. Not that it was much of masterpiece but those later seasons.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Sleepy Hollow is a pretty good example although it made it most of the way through the second season before it happened.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The second season of American Gods may not have had much plot movement but it was way loving better than poo poo like Heroes season 2 and doesn't really deserve to be part of that category. It doesn't come together as well as season 1 did, but the production and performances were still top notch. The Sweeney episode alone has more artistic merit than the entirety of Heroes.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Prison Break had a massive quality gap between the first season and the rest. Not that it was much of masterpiece but those later seasons.

I never found the non-prison stuff interesting, so for me Prison Break is a perfect example of a show you only need to watch the first season of.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If Orlando Jones is making your show better by being a bit of a jerk, let him be a jerk

I can't even imagine he was actually doing anything worth getting fired anyway

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Heroes at least had a writer's strike as an excuse

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

I'll keep up with the thread because I kinda want to see how this plays out, but there's no point watching it anymore.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I'll definitely still watch but I ain't paying dollars for this.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

What a goddamn clusterfuck this is. RIP to the good characters who were murdered by a 55 year old hot topic manager

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Now that they got rid of Counterpart this was literally the only thing to watch in Starz. I think I’m going to cancel it and pick up Disney+ for my kid.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

beanieson posted:

Now that they got rid of Counterpart this was literally the only thing to watch in Starz. I think I’m going to cancel it and pick up Disney+ for my kid.

no but what about the new season of weeds

new season of weeds

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

no but what about the new season of weeds

new season of weeds

What the gently caress? That show jumped the shark two seasons before it ended.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

How is that show still ongoing

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

beanieson posted:

I heard Power was good 🤷🏾‍♀️

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

https://twitter.com/The_GWW/status/1207053372202913797

Whoever asked for an hour of McShane reading dialogue, looks like you're gonna get your wish.

I know they're bringing in other (cheaper) actors to play various incarnations of Mr. World but it really feels like the principal cast is just abandoning ship at this point.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Mat Cauthon posted:

https://twitter.com/The_GWW/status/1207053372202913797

Whoever asked for an hour of McShane reading dialogue, looks like you're gonna get your wish.

I know they're bringing in other (cheaper) actors to play various incarnations of Mr. World but it really feels like the principal cast is just abandoning ship at this point.

Lol yup this thing is dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

beanieson posted:

Now that they got rid of Counterpart

I'd rather live on plague world