Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainN
Jul 28, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

So Abrams asked Lucasfilm if there is any way for them to re-release the theatrical cuts of the OT in a newer format (their last release was a 1995 VHS), and he was told they can't, but was not given a reason.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/1...-hope-lucasfilm

OT got a 2006 DVD release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Disney release the ‘77 workprint with WWII fighter footage still spliced in you cowards.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

On the fence about reserving a Friday ticket for RotS. I kinda want to see this in theaters.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Got tickets for Wednesday, because Sweden always gets these movies on the Wednesdays.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah I grabbed one. gently caress it, might as well.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I'm all about that Senate laugh, and I'm not even sorry.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

All the theaters have assigned seating and are full of enforcement cops, so my dreams of paying to see cats and walking into ros fizzled. Now I'm resigned to paying JJ 15 dollars to laugh at him

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I really don't get the shock about this online. They're reusing old unused footage, like they said they would, and they touched it up a bit to make it fit the story/setting of the new film. What a surprise. Gladiator did something similar in 2000 with Oliver Reed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCkZr5k6ZjA

cargohills fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Dec 15, 2019

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

CaptainN posted:

OT got a 2006 DVD release.
That wasn’t the original cut though

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

That wasn’t the original cut though

Yes they were

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

cargohills posted:

I really don't get the shock about this online. They're reusing old unused footage, like they said they would, and they touched it up a bit to make it fit the story/setting of the new film. What a surprise. Gladiator did something similar in 2000 with Oliver Reed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCkZr5k6ZjA

Yes, but Gladiator was not made by Disney and it was not Star Wars, so anything that came beforehand simply does not exist.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

LionArcher posted:

Yes they were
They were the laserdisc releases. Episode 4 was edited to include the theatrical crawl without the episode 4 or "A New Hope" title.

If I remember correctly, the original Star Wars movie was changed from it's initial theatrical release as early as the June 1977 mono release. Again in 1980. And in 1981 to edit the crawl to match ESB.

So which theatrical release do we want?

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Darko posted:

From a ways back, but Looper has the main issue TLJ does, where it spends an entire film establishing something, then just changing everything in the last 3rd. In Looper's case, causality and inevitability being a curse that rules everything, then, nope.

its the same issue all of rian johnson’s lovely movies have: his lovely writing

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I thought Knives Out was well received?

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

all of rian johnson’s movies are well received. probably because he’s the exact kind of dork most movie critics and internet movie nerds are

that said i haven’t seen knives out so i can’t fairly comment in whether it also sucks rear end

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Pollyanna posted:

I thought Knives Out was well received?

It was enjoyable enough. Daniel Craig and Chris Evans were pretty good in it.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Knives Out is great and I like Looper but when TLJ came out I remember somebody somewhere saying "This movie was clearly made by the guy who decided his time travelling hitmen movie needed telekinesis" and that's a pretty good take on Rian.

Brick is also really good but the plot actually requires JGL not to know what the girl was talking about in the phone call when she mentions a brick and it's like, come on dude there's weird lingo in this movie but that one's real easy, it's drugs! But then again I always read JGL in that movie as actually being a massive dumbass, not the cool smart guy he might sometimes play at being.

Rian's got some contrivances in his writing is what I'm saying.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

ruddiger posted:

Disney release the ‘77 workprint with WWII fighter footage still spliced in you cowards.

I'm legit surprised they haven't - I'd watch the hell outta that, and surely a lot of fans would want copies? I guess it must be a brand protection thing, they must have thought of it. Or maybe a licence issue with the stock footage?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Looper was good, which is why the work he did in TLJ was extremely disappointing

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
My hot take is that Episode 9 will be “the best one” by default because it’s hard to imagine it being worse than the others.

Palpatine’s back, Terrio is a wildcard who could make it actually-good, and I appreciate the ridiculousness of making the entirety of Episode 8 into an optional sidequest. Of course I will absolutely not be paying to see it.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
It sucks and I haven't tasted it therefore it sucks!

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

SirDrone posted:

It sucks and I haven't tasted it therefore it sucks!

The first time, it tasted formulaic and familiar. The second time is was largely a deconstructed mess, and not to my taste. This time, all the scuttlebutt from the kitchen is that the chefs have no idea what the menu should look like, and are slicing together something at the last moment.

I'm perfectly content to let somebody else taste this one first.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

My hot take is that Episode 9 will be “the best one” by default because it’s hard to imagine it being worse than the others.

Palpatine’s back, Terrio is a wildcard who could make it actually-good, and I appreciate the ridiculousness of making the entirety of Episode 8 into an optional sidequest. Of course I will absolutely not be paying to see it.

SMG, have you considered stealing a theater worker's uniform or crawling through a theatre's air vents or something?

All these supposed spoilers is ensuring that I watch this thing on day one. Maybe even first screening. I need to know!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The Clone Wars series was not received as just “ok” and it gave birth to one of the most beloved characters in the entire Star Wars series: Darth Mauls brother SAVAGE OPRESS

....err Ahsoka Tano

Rebels is great tho, yeah.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

I don’t know man Terrio wrote fuckin’ Argo.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

I will absolutely not be paying to see it.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Vintersorg posted:

The Clone Wars series was not received as just “ok” and it gave birth to one of the most beloved characters in the entire Star Wars series: Darth Mauls brother SAVAGE OPRESS

....err Ahsoka Tano

Which of these is supposed to be the joke option?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Lol if the clones aren't your favorite part of The Clone Wars

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

sassassin posted:

Which of these is supposed to be the joke option?

Teeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Vintersorg posted:

Teeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

The clone of Teeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Nice that Disney left the door wide open with Palpatine returning again because if the guy survived being chucked into a reactor, exploding, and then being vaporized along with the Death Star 2 why would getting fried by lightning slow him down

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Calaveron posted:

Nice that Disney left the door wide open with Palpatine returning again because if the guy survived being chucked into a reactor, exploding, and then being vaporized along with the Death Star 2 why would getting fried by lightning slow him down

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Never underestimate the possibilities of unlimited power.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
bunch of visual dictionary pages being leaked. they, of course, confirm the previous leaks.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Horizon Burning posted:

bunch of visual dictionary pages being leaked. they, of course, confirm the previous leaks.

Link?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Calaveron posted:

Watching the OT and the PT again kind of recently-ish, I kind of wish Kylo's quest was to resurrect Vader physicially instead of just becoming as strong as him or Palpatine being the old villain to return in this movie. Just to get more Hayden Christensen but also it feels weirdly like it would dovetail more with the other movies and what Kylo was all about in Force Awakens than with oh poo poo Palpatine out of nowhere.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Dec 16, 2019

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

so they necro digitalized leia?they shooted some scenes for this movie or they chopped around some stock footage of carrie?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Zeta Acosta posted:

so they necro digitalized leia?they shooted some scenes for this movie or they chopped around some stock footage of carrie?

The latter.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
thats crass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Vinylshadow posted:

According to comments on Twitter (so take it with a Crait of salt) Disney can't distribute the theatrical cuts because that was part of the sale deal Lucas signed with them

They should do a new cut that's the theatrical version, just do a shot for shot remake of scenes that have no main characters in it so it's a new cut