Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Oh my god :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

SleepCousinDeath posted:

This is probably a terrible description from memory but there’s a part during the trench run where it zooms in on the Death Star and pans down seamlessly into the trench and it looks so good

I dunno if it’s just the special edition that makes it look that good but it works for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WBG2rJZGW8&t=358s

I like where they jump from a matte painting to a model.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Neo Rasa posted:

Is that Obi-Wan TV series still happening?

Like I want that just for even the very slight possibility of force ghost Qui-Gon and the very slight possibility of Wayne Pygram Tarkin.

I don't think we can be sure Qui Gon is even dead at this point. We never saw his ghost...

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Qui-Gon is more buff than you might think.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Pretty good posted:

Qui-Gon is more buff than you might think.

“Darth Maul, if you strike me down, I shall become more buff than you can possibly imagine.”

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Funny how Sheev turned into a shrunken hag after only a few seconds of absorbing lightning but Luke comes away unscathed after a Chernobyl esque dose

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

codo27 posted:

Funny how Sheev turned into a shrunken hag after only a few seconds of absorbing lightning but Luke comes away unscathed after a Chernobyl esque dose

I took that to be his "gently caress it, mask off" moment.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Could argue it was intensified by Maces saber in that case as well

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Obi-Wan never skips leg day, but Darth Maul has robot legs. Who will be victorious?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

SleepCousinDeath posted:

This is probably a terrible description from memory but there’s a part during the trench run where it zooms in on the Death Star and pans down seamlessly into the trench and it looks so good

I dunno if it’s just the special edition that makes it look that good but it works for me

If I remember right, they did that shot with two separate pieces of rubbery death-star-surface, which peeled away from each other to make room for the camera moving between them, like it was a zipper.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

codo27 posted:

I figured that Mace (and Sheev) got something more powerful than Luke's dose, which I assume was just to make him suffer as much as possible.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

sassassin posted:

I don't think we can be sure Qui Gon is even dead at this point. We never saw his ghost...

He never got the chance to will himself to become a Force ghost unlike Obi Wan the Jedi Knight

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

codo27 posted:

Anakin had bright yellow eyes during the final parts of RotS, the Dark Side just fucks you up and it's hard to hold it in.

Violator
May 15, 2003

YaketySass posted:

Anakin had bright yellow eyes during the final parts of RotS, the Dark Side just fucks you up and it's hard to hold it in.

Yellow eyes is canon for storing too much pee in the balls, right?

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Gonz posted:

“Darth Maul, if you strike me down, I shall become more buff than you can possibly imagine.”
That is the bit that I was doing in my post that I made.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

In The Clone Wars, Qui Gon was the one who taught Obi Wan how to become a Force ghost. Apparently it was a technique few Jedi even know about. Liam Neeson voiced him too.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, it's a pretty cool episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMd7qJLzKAk

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

The MSJ posted:

In The Clone Wars, Qui Gon was the one who taught Obi Wan how to become a Force ghost. Apparently it was a technique few Jedi even know about. Liam Neeson voiced him too.

This was interesting because Yoda basically says as much at the end of Revenge of the Sith but it never really sank in til then. I remember when Phantom Menace first came out there was a lot of speculation along the lines of how Qui-Gon was wrong or a lovely Jedi in some way because otherwise why didn't he become a force ghost since that's what Jedi do when they die?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
When does the review embargo get lifted? Is it a function of how confident they are in the film whether the let reviews out early or keep a lid on it until the last minute?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Jewmanji posted:

When does the review embargo get lifted? Is it a function of how confident they are in the film whether the let reviews out early or keep a lid on it until the last minute?

Looks like the 18th? https://www.newsweek.com/star-wars-rise-skywalker-review-embargo-when-are-reviews-out-1477429

Seems pretty standard for this sort of thing.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The reviews. Its funny how with online shopping its your biggest lifeline, but with movies, they are the most irrelevant waste of time imaginable.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Most of the things i buy online cost more than $9 and last more then 2 hours.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Film reviews seem to be 99 percent people tripping over themselves to make the most puns in the longest run on sentence.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Film reviews seem to be 99 percent people tripping over themselves to make the most puns in the longest run on sentence.

*runs into thread huffing and puffing*

STAR WARS, MORE LIKE "STAR BORES!" HAHAHAHAHAHA

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Derisive Skywalker

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Ingmar terdman posted:

Derisive Skywalker

:golfclap:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Just fired up TFA and it just dawned on me the potential there is for another bridge series detailing the events between vi and vii like clone wars did

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I'd rather see a series covering the 10 mins between 7 and 8

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
One of the familiar talking points about the new trilogy is that JJ Abrams handed Rian Johnson a pretty impossible setup to start with. That may be, but it's stunning how much Johnson bungled things by starting VIII right where VII left off. I had forgotten that the first phrase in the movie is "The First Order reigns". lol. The Republic capital was destroyed approximately one day ago (as well as the Death Star) but the First Order somehow reigns. The movie is incoherent. It's particularly galling that the sequels are trying to crib from the relatively simplistic politics of the OT as a riposte to the supposedly "convoluted" politics of the prequels, and yet end up completely broken. We hear endlessly about people's illiteracy when it comes to understanding the relatively straightforward plot of the prequels, but everyone seems to just shrug away the fact that the sequels simply don't make sense. And as a result the whole things feels built on a foundation of sand, with no clear stakes whatsoever. Like, what does victory even look like for our heroes? It's not at all clear right now.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

JJ was probably hoping Johnson would've had Luke teaching Rey things like "Do or do not, there is no try", while Kylo tries to lure her into a trap by capturing Finn or Poe before handing them off to Phasma.

Then Kylo could persuade her to join forces with him so they could overthrow Snoke, possibly by revealing to her some secret about her heritage.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The S2E17 episode of Clone Wars is the Seven Samurai episode. It starts with "In Memory of Akira Kurosawa" before the title card, which is cool, but, it makes it seem like he had just died when he was dead for 20 years when the episode aired. Little weird. It's not even the first direct Kurosawa adaptation the show did.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Just a reminder that without George Lucas and Francis Ford Coppola we wouldn't have Kagemusha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzR87VBlaoo

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

codo27 posted:

Just fired up TFA and it just dawned on me the potential there is for another bridge series detailing the events between vi and vii like clone wars did

If the Mandalorian runs long enough that could be it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

Just a reminder that without George Lucas and Francis Ford Coppola we wouldn't have Kagemusha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzR87VBlaoo

Such a good movie.

I wonder when the final season of Clone Wars is gonna hit. They still have loose ends to tie up, like Rex defecting, how Palpatine got kidnapped, and Obiwan impregnating Rey's grandmother.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I dunno. The first bit of the movie I'm like okay, this is better than I remember, pretty good actually. But by the time it's all over.. it's too long. I think the script is it's biggest crux. One of my favorite things in the whole franchise is the original death star attack, and the banter between the pilots is just so organic. You get tired of hearing Poe say "give it all we got". Many of Hans lines aren't great either. Still hard to see him go though.

Rey is a good hero. I still wish Finn wasn't such a ridiculous pansy but what do you make of him? Hux is just poo poo, I cant stand him at all. Terrible villain. I'm pretty sure I've only seen TLJ the one time in theatre so looking forward to going over that again on Wednesday night. I can't believe it's been 4 years since TFA. But it also feels exactly that long since Hans death was spoiled for me in a fuckin Facebook comment. Nothing like that better happen this time

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

If the Mandalorian runs long enough that could be it.

Baby Yoda is Snoke

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Can't believe these cowards didn't add digital porgs to the disney+ release of TFA

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Jewmanji posted:

One of the familiar talking points about the new trilogy is that JJ Abrams handed Rian Johnson a pretty impossible setup to start with. That may be, but it's stunning how much Johnson bungled things by starting VIII right where VII left off. I had forgotten that the first phrase in the movie is "The First Order reigns". lol. The Republic capital was destroyed approximately one day ago (as well as the Death Star) but the First Order somehow reigns. The movie is incoherent. It's particularly galling that the sequels are trying to crib from the relatively simplistic politics of the OT as a riposte to the supposedly "convoluted" politics of the prequels, and yet end up completely broken. We hear endlessly about people's illiteracy when it comes to understanding the relatively straightforward plot of the prequels, but everyone seems to just shrug away the fact that the sequels simply don't make sense. And as a result the whole things feels built on a foundation of sand, with no clear stakes whatsoever. Like, what does victory even look like for our heroes? It's not at all clear right now.

It feels like a comic book where a new writer takes over and just completely ignores everything but the most basic things set up by previous writers.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Hey this video is pretty cool. Edited down skywalker saga: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC5I83qa3VI

24 hours until star wars fans get (more) angry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
A good article.