Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I enjoyed that show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Good lord in heaven please give me a season two in which every episode starts with a Rorschach monologue done by Petey dressed as the Lube Man.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

The REAL Goobusters posted:

You can answer my question first then I’ll answer

Fine. I'll play this gradeschool game.

A piece of entertainment aimed at continuing the dissection of superheroes and vigilantism within the original watchmen situated within an additional context of examining racism within America and how that interacts with the original themes of the novel, while simultaneously offering a pulpy narrative akin to the original Watchmen, both in overall tone and in many echoes (or derivations, if you're cynical) of the original plot.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Show ruled, don't feed the trolls.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ethiser posted:

Good lord in heaven please give me a season two in which every episode starts with a Rorschach monologue done by Petey dressed as the Lube Man.

Laurie chases petey around the country, literally, as he is just sliding away from her the entire time.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
Cool that Veidt got to save the day again, even as he'll now probably die in a jail cell.

legendaryRev
May 1, 2008

Soiled Meat
I’m sorry, I’m sure that I’ll rethink things after more thoughts, but that was kinda some bullshit for an ending. A giant convoluted mess; Trieu was a total worthless plot Maguffin, 7thK ended up being a nothingburger, LG ended up being essentially useless, and Laurie is just gonna loving arrest Veidt?! What a total waste of so much goodwill. I’ll be happy if I’ve sobered up in the morning and there’s some kind of revelation, but I honestly don’t know what it could possibly be at this point. 8 great episodes were completely spoiled by this ending.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Xanderkish posted:

Fine. I'll play this gradeschool game.

A piece of entertainment aimed at continuing the dissection of superheroes and vigilantism within the original watchmen situated within an additional context of examining racism within America and how that interacts with the original themes of the novel, while simultaneously offering a pulpy narrative akin to the original Watchmen, both in overall tone and in many echoes (or derivations, if you're cynical) of the original plot.

Sike bitch this show is fan fic

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hilario Baldness posted:

Cool that Veidt got to save the day again, even as he'll now probably die in a jail cell.

I think you're forgetting a tiny important detail, friend: he's a rich white guy.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

In what way?

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
That ending super enraged me but I loved every second.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Man, you're not even a good troll, are you? This is some weak poo poo.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
its a good thing there are genuinely good tv shows with deliberate narratives like his dark materials and the expanse that dont spend all their time trying to perform some kind of idiotic magic trick by pulling off the maximum amount of twists per episode

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I just read the last two issues of the series today, tons of nods in the finale. Unfortunately it didn’t appear that anyone did anything thirty five minutes ago.

Have Trent Reznor score more things.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

legendaryRev posted:

I’m sorry, I’m sure that I’ll rethink things after more thoughts, but that was kinda some bullshit for an ending. A giant convoluted mess; Trieu was a total worthless plot Maguffin, 7thK ended up being a nothingburger, LG ended up being essentially useless, and Laurie is just gonna loving arrest Veidt?!

This is not how words are used

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I'm like 80% sure the repeated shot of Trieu next to a crucifix was shade at Snyder.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
get this: hooded justice was black. dr manhattan is black now. the cops are superheroes, and the superheroes are supervillains. im very good at writing

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Veidt getting his ego stomped was so great.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

packetmantis posted:

he really was the best part of this mess

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

scary ghost dog posted:

get this: hooded justice was black. dr manhattan is black now. the cops are superheroes, and the superheroes are supervillains. im very good at writing

Okay you can actually just gently caress off with this poo poo

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

scary ghost dog posted:

You can play this game with literally everything ever written.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I liked all the plans converging at the end. The 7thK had their plan for manhattan, Trieu set them up so she could swoop in and murk them all and take Manhattan’s power, but then it turns out Manhattan and Will had started planning out their move before she even considered that, and it leaves Angela with manhattan’s powers. Probably. The only plan I’m a bit fuzzy on was Veidt’s.

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

scary ghost dog posted:

Regardless of what you think of the main plot, the Hooded Justice stuff was amazing and was 100 percent in the spirit of what the original comic did with the Charlton comics characters.

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

Ending was better than I expected and I think pulled things together well.

I think the season/series was pretty fantastic overall. I'd put it behind Legion still, but not much else out there in recent memory.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
I thought the ending was fine, but not spectacular. It wrapped up everything in a way people said Lindelof wouldn't do, so that's fun. But at times it felt a bit contrived, like with Laurie and Veidt and LG's meetup. Also, no real big ambiguous ethical dilemma like at the end of Watchmen. Felt a bit more like "Good guys win, bad guys lose", which is fine for a lot of shows, but this is watchmen, man.

Love Veidt getting his poo poo hosed, loved the moron racist senator proving himself a moron and not actually knowing how to do his evil plan (called it, by the way), love Angela becoming Ms. Manhattan. Love Veidt telling his game warden that he was a disappointment.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Can’t say I liked the ending much. “Lol let’s cut before the answer to the mystery” already felt derivative to me when The Leftovers S3 finale did it and it feels even moreso here.

Oh well.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I liked the first 6 episodes more and wish it continued doing what it was doing before any direct Dr Manhattan involvement/plans.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Arist posted:

Okay you can actually just gently caress off with this poo poo

i appreciate updating watchmen with themes of racial justice, and hooded justice being a black tulsa massacre survivor was actually kind of brilliant, but dr manhattan deciding to once again entangle himself in the romantic life of a mortal and her selecting a hunky black guy as his new form was some jeph loeb tier idiocy that cast the hooded justice twist in a harsher light.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

motherbox posted:

Regardless of what you think of the main plot, the Hooded Justice stuff was amazing and was 100 percent in the spirit of what the original comic did with the Charlton comics characters.

yeah i wish that episode was the only episode

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I liked all the plans converging at the end. The 7thK had their plan for manhattan, Trieu set them up so she could swoop in and murk them all and take Manhattan’s power, but then it turns out Manhattan and Will had started planning out their move before she even considered that, and it leaves Angela with manhattan’s powers. Probably. The only plan I’m a bit fuzzy on was Veidt’s.
Veidt's part in all of this was to eat poo poo.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The visual of sucking out Doctor Manhattan's power like its DBZ power levels. Hes only at 55% god particle man, now 20%

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Xanderkish posted:

I thought the ending was fine, but not spectacular. It wrapped up everything in a way people said Lindelof wouldn't do, so that's fun. But at times it felt a bit contrived, like with Laurie and Veidt and LG's meetup. Also, no real big ambiguous ethical dilemma like at the end of Watchmen. Felt a bit more like "Good guys win, bad guys lose", which is fine for a lot of shows, but this is watchmen, man.

Love Veidt getting his poo poo hosed, loved the moron racist senator proving himself a moron and not actually knowing how to do his evil plan (called it, by the way), love Angela becoming Ms. Manhattan. Love Veidt telling his game warden that he was a disappointment.

I find the question of whether or not Angela learned loving anything from this entire experience by deciding to go ahead and try to obtain Dr. Manhattan's powers to be a proper ethical dilemma.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Raxivace posted:

Can’t say I liked the ending much. “Lol let’s cut before the answer to the mystery” already felt derivative to me when The Leftovers S3 finale did it and it feels even moreso here.

Oh well.

It really isn’t a mystery. She’s got his powers now. It’s why he walked on the pool and told her it’d be important later. Ditto making a big deal of the egg both in the kitchen and when he was talking about how he would be able to pass on his powers. Just because they didn’t show her walking on water doesn’t mean it’s not answered.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
The Hooded Justice ep definitely blew everything else out of the water. And the entire show is justified for that alone.

Szmitten posted:

I liked the first 6 episodes more and wish it continued doing what it was doing before any direct Dr Manhattan involvement/plans.

Yeah, Dr. Manhattan kind of felt like a macGuffin in the last episode.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

packetmantis posted:

Jeremy Irons was having fun as hell this episode.

I actually really like him as Veidt now.

Similarly, he explained why he'd gently caress up his own plans by sending a lovely CD-R explaining everything to Redford: "Takes one to know one."

Dude was such a narcissist that he couldn't stand not getting credit for saving the world.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I find the question of whether or not Angela learned loving anything from this entire experience by deciding to go ahead and try to obtain Dr. Manhattan's powers to be a proper ethical dilemma.

That's a fun read on it that I hadn't considered, although I still think it's kind of deemphasized in the story if it is a proper ethical dilemma.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It really isn’t a mystery. She’s got his powers now. It’s why he walked on the pool and told her it’d be important later. Ditto making a big deal of the egg both in the kitchen and when he was talking about how he would be able to pass on his powers. Just because they didn’t show her walking on water doesn’t mean it’s not answered.

Yeah it’s 100% more obvious than the end of Inception.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

scary ghost dog posted:

It’s wild how they keep giving Lindelof work

painynumbs
Apr 1, 2011
that was the worst poo poo i’ve ever seen and this show never needed to exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

It’s wild how they keep giving Lindelof work

It's wild in making MONEY, BABY 💰💰💰