Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Remind me of the babe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

The Wurst Poster posted:

But if your autistic then it is:

7288 days ago.

Or 19 years, 11 months, 14 days ago.

Or 239 months, 14 days ago.

Or 629,683,200 seconds ago.

Or 10,494,720 minutes ago.

Or 174,912 hours ago.

Or 1041 weeks and 1 day.

I have run the calculations, and the quoted post above is no longer correct.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Powered Descent posted:

Remind me of the babe.

What babe?

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Powered Descent posted:

Remind me of the babe.

What babe?

Efb :argh:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Plastik posted:

What babe?

Turn your monitor off. Babe the pig lmao gottem

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Jerry Cotton posted:

Turn your monitor off. Babe the pig lmao gottem

got me with this one ngl

anyhow, what power?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

How can I get this on a t-shirt or mug, I love it!

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Source for the XKCD What If is here

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

i would like to masturbate to this

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Screaming Idiot posted:

i would like to masturbate to this

nobody's stopping you but please post proof somewhere when you do

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

alexandriao posted:

nobody's stopping you but please post proof somewhere when you do

you'll have to pay the subscription fee like everybody else, buster

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

Did something happen to Microwave's Mom? Why do we always learn these things in PYF....

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

It needs to be at least...
3 times bigger than this!

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

yesssssssssss, add blood and lead to the weird water

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Water itself can not become "radioactive" in the common sense. As a simple molecule water is just going to be water.

What happens in the cooling pools is water gains a neutron to form "heavy water" that settles to the bottom, and then may pick up a third neutron to become tritiated water.

Radioactive contaminants can be in water, though, such as whatever would be in lake water, from algae and bacteria to minerals and residues and oils.

As such, cooling pools must be kept very clean to make sure the only substance in the water is just pure, non-radiation-releasing water.

Also, given all of that, simple, old fashioned distillation can make radiation affected water completely safe to drink, as the non-radioactive water separates from contaminated impurities and any potential heavy water.

Anyways, if you survive the big one, remember that handy science tip.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
So if you distill radioactive water, is the radioactive part released as vapor, or what happens there?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The radioactive bits in water would most likely be sediments or dissolved salts, so they would be left behind in the boiling vessel.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Wouldn't any distilling equipment you'd be using for radioactive water be pretty radioactive itself?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Also works with "Is it filled with helium?"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Flavius Aetass posted:

Wouldn't any distilling equipment you'd be using for radioactive water be pretty radioactive itself?

"Distilling equipment" is a glass flask with a pipe coming out the top and a heat source. Glass is primarily silicon dioxide (with, depending on the type of glass, small quantities of other minerals). If you distill water that contains neutron emitters, it is possible that you could get neutron activation of the silicon and oxygen in the glass and the glass itself would become mildly radioactive. Beyond that, no, the equipment will be fine as long as you wash it out.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

loving same.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

*Looks up from eating paper plate of cold hotdogs in grubby underpants

It isn't??

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Elissimpark posted:

*Looks up from eating paper plate of cold hotdogs in grubby underpants

It isn't??

we only had naked hotdogs :(

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I have not thought of this in 20 years, or ever eaten on. I would.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I just looked it up and they're still at Woolworths for $5. I might get one for dessert and show my kids what true luxury was circa 1989.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Get me a Vienetta, some Milano cookies, and a one-piece babe diving backwards into my pool with Crystal Lite painted on the bottom and I'll loving take over the world. I'd feel like Tony Montana

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

If you are sneaky and quick and manage to dive deep enough, the water will also protect you from the bullets!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

Get me a Vienetta, some Milano cookies, and a one-piece babe diving backwards into my pool with Crystal Lite painted on the bottom and I'll loving take over the world. I'd feel like Tony Montana

But look like Tony Soprano.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Sagebrush posted:

"Distilling equipment" is a glass flask with a pipe coming out the top and a heat source. Glass is primarily silicon dioxide (with, depending on the type of glass, small quantities of other minerals). If you distill water that contains neutron emitters, it is possible that you could get neutron activation of the silicon and oxygen in the glass and the glass itself would become mildly radioactive. Beyond that, no, the equipment will be fine as long as you wash it out.

Typically the water discharged from nuclear reactors is filtered through filters and resin columns, removing radioactive solids and dissolved salts, these filters and columns eventually become quite radioactive, and disposed of with other radioactive wastes.

The water left over contains small amounts of tritium, which really isn't that radioactive, and is a beta emitter, so it doesn't produce a significant radiation field, and while you shouldn't it, former coolant with a bit left in it won't hurt you in the short term, it's best re-used for reuse as reactor coolant, but you can keep it in a tank until 3 half lives have passed (36ish years) and just discharge it to the environment.

Although spent fuel in a pool shouldn't produce much tritium in the water, since very few of the radioactive byproducts are neutron emitters, and you only have an insignificant amount of spontaneous/uncontrolled fissions occurring in the shut-down core.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

we only had naked hotdogs :(

I'd say take it easy, English is my second language, but sadly, its my only language. And barely that, being Australian.

Memento posted:

I just looked it up and they're still at Woolworths for $5. I might get one for dessert and show my kids what true luxury was circa 1989.

You get a surprising amount of disappointment for five dollarbux.

Jerry Cotton posted:

But look like Tony Robinson.

Specifically space-future Baldrick from Blackadder's Christmas Carol.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Elissimpark posted:

Specifically space-future Baldrick from Blackadder's Christmas Carol.

Haven't seen it in years so did a quick BIS (Bing[TM] Image Search) and :lol:

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

But look like Tony Soprano.

Ayy whoah I'mma Tony Shaloubricate your mouth if you don't shut it capischschesh? Uma mia

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

Haven't seen it in years so did a quick BIS (Bing[TM] Image Search) and :lol:

You mean you didn't already have it bookmarked in Altavista?

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

this is a pro watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGJ6RKPHblY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Elissimpark posted:

You mean you didn't already have it bookmarked in Altavista?

Possibly.