Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
this poo poo always annoys me cuz you know it's some dork who says "SPORTSBALL"
https://twitter.com/Chelsea_dots/status/1039208970806812673?s=20
plus it's like, yes that would also be annoying but at least it still isn't a children's fantasy book series wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Vargo posted:

The Harry Potter date one.

call eric a hufflepuff and refuse to stop

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
My only personality trait is how weird my cat was.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I also dont know if this is harry potter lady's fault but boy do there seem to be more numerous or at least more vocal British TERFs, right?
Are they given more space in British politics or something? Not that American political discourse isnt incredibly transphobic of course.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Isn’t he a children’s fantasy writer himself and an agent, though? I mean, Harry Potter madness is kind of an occupational hazard for them.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I also dont know if this is harry potter lady's fault but boy do there seem to be more numerous or at least more vocal British TERFs, right?
Are they given more space in British politics or something? Not that American political discourse isnt incredibly transphobic of course.

Someone in another thread summarized it as there being some big british mother/parenting website, mumsnet or something? That became an online wine mom hangout, and much in the way that many other websites spiralled into naziism, it spiralled into terfdom, and it's the core of all of the terf stuff in the UK

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Punkin Spunkin posted:

this poo poo always annoys me cuz you know it's some dork who says "SPORTSBALL"
https://twitter.com/Chelsea_dots/status/1039208970806812673?s=20
plus it's like, yes that would also be annoying but at least it still isn't a children's fantasy book series wtf

if anything, loving a bad team objectively shows more personality imo bc if you obsessively love a good team you probably just like winning without having to do anything

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

CommonShore posted:

Someone in another thread summarized it as there being some big british mother/parenting website, mumsnet or something? That became an online wine mom hangout, and much in the way that many other websites spiralled into naziism, it spiralled into terfdom, and it's the core of all of the terf stuff in the UK

Throw all social media into the sun.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
As a :spergin: and recovering Potterhead I sympathize, but if someone hasn't seen any of these incredibly popular books or movies by now, there isn't much point in trying to force them to take an interest - much less make references they have no way of understanding. (I would not expect a non-fan to know what the hell a Hufflepuff is, any more than you should expect me to know what a point guard does.)

Pththya-lyi has a new favorite as of 08:15 on Dec 16, 2019

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jurgan posted:

It's a pretty common set of beliefs for Catholics. They believed they're required to look after the poor financially, but they also think abortion should be illegal. The problem, at least in the USA, is that you can't vote for issues independently, you have to vote for candidates, so they often end up choosing the right-wing candidates because the issue of abortion has been designed to override all other concerns.

Most Catholics support abortion as a general concept, they get iffy when you say poo poo like "late term" or pretend babies are being aborted at birth.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Skwirl posted:

Most Catholics support abortion as a general concept, they get iffy when you say poo poo like "late term" or pretend babies are being aborted at birth.

where? in the north middle maybe. se and sw no.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CommonShore posted:

Additionally, feminist philosophy in Europe (and therefore the UK) is much more focused on a biological metaphysics than the cultural basis (and accompanying queer theory) in North America. That makes feminist institutions and discourse in the UK much less accepting of trans people, especially trans women.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Skwirl posted:

This is insanely inaccurate for non-Euro Catholics. Try talking to a Brazilian or Philippine Catholic about abortion.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
A lot of people against abortion seem to think abortion doctors are taking crying babies from their mother's arms and throwing them in the garbage can.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

RatHat posted:

A lot of people against abortion seem to think abortion doctors are taking crying babies from their mother's arms and throwing them in the garbage can.

yes, the anti-choice gang very strongly promotes gruesome unrealistic images of what abortion entails, because it suits their political agenda

like the images of dismembered tiny hands and legs on all the posters -- abortions that late are essentially only performed out of necessity when the mother's life is in danger. but the protesters would love for you to believe that that's what happens every time. and they're loud enough that it works

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

yes, the anti-choice gang very strongly promotes gruesome unrealistic images of what abortion entails, because it suits their political agenda

like the images of dismembered tiny hands and legs on all the posters -- abortions that late are essentially only performed out of necessity when the mother's life is in danger. but the protesters would love for you to believe that that's what happens every time. and they're loud enough that it works

One time in high school a teacher hosed up and assigned me to debate against the Canadian seal hunt specifically using bad debate techniques such as appeal to emotion. It was supposed to teach us how to use proper debate techniques or something. My presentation was like three power point slides, each of which was a cute baby seal right next to a bloody seal carcass. I didn’t agree with the topic or the techniques, but I absolutely won the debate.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Memento posted:

This is insanely inaccurate for non-Euro Catholics. Try talking to a Brazilian or Philippine Catholic about abortion.

I was specifically talking about American Catholics, and I apologize for not making that clear in my initial post.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Arivia posted:

One time in high school a teacher hosed up and assigned me to debate against the Canadian seal hunt specifically using bad debate techniques such as appeal to emotion. It was supposed to teach us how to use proper debate techniques or something. My presentation was like three power point slides, each of which was a cute baby seal right next to a bloody seal carcass. I didn’t agree with the topic or the techniques, but I absolutely won the debate.

So you're pro seal hunting?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

So you're pro seal hunting?

I mean, if you're going to allow any hunting at all how cute the baby animal is shouldn't play into its legality.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Pththya-lyi posted:

As a :spergin: and recovering Potterhead I sympathize, but if someone hasn't seen any of these incredibly popular books or movies by now, there isn't much point in trying to force them to take an interest - much less make references they have no way of understanding. (I would not expect a non-fan to know what the hell a Hufflepuff is, any more than you should expect me to know what a point guard does.)

point guards are the hufflepuffs of the basketball team

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Ah, yes, Big Pharma and the Kremlin both teamed up to push for trans rights by making donations to the fourth-largest party in the British Parliament.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

TinTower posted:

Ah, yes, Big Pharma and the Kremlin both teamed up to push for trans rights by making donations to the fourth-largest party in the British Parliament.

I mean, at least going red scare on it means they've moved on from the antisemitism of saying (((SOROS))) is funding the Trans Lobby™

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Skwirl posted:

So what you’re saying is that they require the slightest pressure from the right to pull the lever against it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Platystemon posted:

So what you’re saying is that they require the slightest pressure from the right to pull the lever against it.

I'm not defending them or how they vote, I'm saying it's a stretch to call them anti-abortion.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/OnePerfectShot/status/1163278455674494976?s=20

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Antisemitism has lost all meaning as a word

https://twitter.com/ConnerHabib/status/1206494277573971968?s=19

Conner is not the idiot.

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013

Mak0rz posted:

What does "economically left but socially conservative" look like, exactly? Free healthcare for people who don't miscegenate?

Here is a fnnish example of eceonomically left but socially conservative party.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finns_Party

Spoilers, they are mostly selfish racists.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Chazani posted:

You've also got the Danish People's Party as an example. Racist as gently caress, and their "left-wing policies" mostly amount to "give more stuff to our elderly racist voters who keep us afloat," with zero consideration for education, poor people, healthcare, etc. Their winning strat for decades in a row has been to staunchly remain outside of government so they could just rake in points critiquing the ruling parties, but never themselves have any policies that could fail and thus be critiqued. The one time they formally joined a government, they got completely annihilated in the next elections(their number of seats got more than halved) because it revealed what ineffectual trashbaskets they were(and all of their corruption and misuse of EU funds got dragged into the light), and they spawned an off-shoot splinter racist party that damaged the Danish right wing.

Said splinter party is run by this toadman-looking fucker:

And his party dragged votes away from the other right-wing parties but failed to clear the minimum needed for representation, probably because it came out that he'd been a creepy loving stalker towards at least one person, and then sued the guy he was stalking when he tried to keep Paludan at arm's length.

He's also the kind of loud racist who can't be anywhere in public without doing poo poo that makes every right-thinking person want to brain him(like public Quran burnings, etc.), and thus keeping him from becoming a greasy stain on the asphalt has cost Denmark a shitload of money and police hours. It was a major public debate for a while whether he should just be allowed to get himself killed saying stupid poo poo to the wrong people.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
He looks like Boris Johnson but less slimy.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

TinTower posted:

He looks like Boris Johnson but less slimy.

He looks like he's either 16 or 60, and I don't believe any answer between those two numbers.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Skwirl posted:

I mean, if you're going to allow any hunting at all how cute the baby animal is shouldn't play into its legality.

That too, but yes. The seal hunt is ecologically safe and critical to Indigenous people here, and it’s really frustrating that it gets so much flak for being humanely and thoughtfully done.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Arivia posted:

That too, but yes. The seal hunt is ecologically safe and critical to Indigenous people here, and it’s really frustrating that it gets so much flak for being humanely and thoughtfully done.

There are too many people in the world and not enough seals. :colbert:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Sunswipe posted:

There are too many people in the world and not enough seals. :colbert:
New policy: every year each qualifying indigenous North American can choose to do the seal thing or club 1 (one) non-indigenous North American to death and take all their stuff

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Chazani posted:

The TF aren't economically left lmao

some of their base might be but the party absolutely isn't

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

SiKboy posted:

Sure, the part of the UK who voted against the tories en masse, voted to remain in the EU, have made it very clear that EU migrants (and others) have a home there, and who were protesting in the streets within 24 hours of fridge wankers election (including chants of “Say it loud, say it clear, refugees are welcome here.” in glasgow) is the racist part of the UK. Obviously.

Scotland is averagely racist as part of the UK, but is it socially conservative, we have a lot of TERF's in Parliament, our ruling party expelled a trans town councillor for calling a TERF a TERF. We have big issues around social inclusion things like that. But we are more economically liberal, we favour a larger welfare state and things like that. Scotland is the poster boy for socially conservative and economically liberal, even though we had 3 1/2 gay party leaders at one point.

That said a lot of our economically liberal comes from the government standing against Westminster and that always colours our politics here.

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013

Andrast posted:

The TF aren't economically left lmao

some of their base might be but the party absolutely isn't

Please respect the way the self-identify!

Current day TF is really far from economic left, that is true. But few years back they still has the old alkiolaisuus going for them.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Punkin Spunkin posted:

It spread through social media and gets funding from conservative groups like the Christian Right. That didn't happen in the US because in the 2000's, black women started a very public criticism of racism and the marginalization of WOC in mainstream feminism, and it had the effect of pushing the entire movement leftward. US TERFs (and SWERFs) got squeezed out mainstream feminist discourse, and their buddies in the Christian Right had less resources to help them because established antipathy between them and US feminists over reproductive rights.

The UK didn't have that leftward push and their feminists are still stuck in a very neoliberal form of feminist activism that TERFs are easily capitalizing on and spreading to women like Rowling who think of themselves as progressive on women's issues, but mostly just want to see women like them, affluent and white, secure their place in capitalism.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
I blame Mumsnet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Antisemitism has lost all meaning as a word

https://twitter.com/ConnerHabib/status/1206494277573971968?s=19

Conner is not the idiot.

The first one is a fairly boring hot take nowadays, but holy poo poo the take about how any ideology that isn't based on Liberation Theology is fascist is insane