Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

I'm interested. I wonder if the poly can be stripped clearly around the frets without having to cut the finish cleanly against the metal. I guess if they poly after frets are installed, then it should pull off clean without having to razor blade?

Stewmac (of course) has a nice tutorial on stripping the body, but I can't seem to find good neck info. The couple of forums that popped up all had guys arguing between chemical strippers, sanding, or using a heat gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Snowy posted:

You use both? Ive used tung oil on a lot of furniture but that would be the final finish. I love the stuff, it’s so easy to use.

it's not really necessary it just makes it feel even more smooth

former glory posted:

Stewmac (of course) has a nice tutorial on stripping the body, but I can't seem to find good neck info. The couple of forums that popped up all had guys arguing between chemical strippers, sanding, or using a heat gun.

definitely sandpaper

stripper on poly is a bitch and a half, and unless you're really careful with a heat gun you run the risk of popping frets or delaminating the fretboard. necks aren't finished anywhere near as thick as bodies so it doesn't take a solid week to sand through

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 8, 2019

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Thanks, that sounds like a good plan. This CV tele is what I reach for most of the time now so it would be great to get that neck looking a little unique. Could be a fun holiday project.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
just remembered this exists and now you all do too have a blessed sabbath

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3E2_vyEzDs

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

former glory posted:

Thanks, that sounds like a good plan. This CV tele is what I reach for most of the time now so it would be great to get that neck looking a little unique. Could be a fun holiday project.

ben eller made a decent video on sanding necks. he uses tru oil instead but it's all pretty much the same stuff to varying degrees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiDm4JKtICk

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Yeah, that seems pretty easy and I love the result. I'll post some pics if I get it done soon. Thanks again.

That guy's video is :discourse:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1X3d2zWx94

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
It occurred to me the other day that since two tone knobs is two more than anybody should ever need, it would be incredibly funny to wire up a Strat with three volume knobs.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Anime Reference posted:

It occurred to me the other day that since two tone knobs is two more than anybody should ever need, it would be incredibly funny to wire up a Strat with three volume knobs.

Ironically throwing one on each pickup and getting rid of the selector switch would give you way more tonal variation than any tone knob possibly could.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Joe Bogan posted:

Ironically throwing one on each pickup and getting rid of the selector switch would give you way more tonal variation than any tone knob possibly could.

Volume, Tone, three-way switch and the middle pickup on a blend knob is the way and the light personally. All the tele middle-position rhythm sounds plus stratty quack on tap.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat
SOMEONE BUY THIS AND SAVE ME FROM MYSELF

E:

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

gently caress no those ugly rear end Soviet guitars look awesome. Good luck trying to actually play one, though.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I love how the bottom is just resting on the loving floor. LOL

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
And my left handedness has saved me again from errant guitar purchases because goddamn is that soviet guitar just the right kind of ugly. Don't doubt that it probably sucks to actually use though.

Edit: You know what really makes it is the fake pinkish snakeskin pick guard. Let's make that the new happening trend in guitars!

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 16, 2019

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

It looks like someone traced an oil stain off someone's driveway.

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

Anna Karenina in the background giving you the side eye

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

Jr. posted:

Anna Karenina in the background giving you the side eye
Is it? Honestly thought it was Frodo

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

Actuary X posted:

Is it? Honestly thought it was Frodo

I might be wrong, but I instantly thought it was this:

But side by side I'm realizing the one in the guitar photo might also be a melted Soviet clone

e: help I can't stop laughing, this is some "selfie vs photo someone else takes" poo poo

AveMachina fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Dec 16, 2019

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
That is so loving weird.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

https://twitter.com/tonyiommi/status/1206609095387762689

:allears:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I love reading dudes that are like "Everyone always plays this wrong" but I've never seen 'em pick a specific instance before. RIP that guy's comments.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

That guy wrote me back a really long message when I made fun of him for taking twenty minutes to explain the early iron maiden tone of "hot rod strat, Plexi, 1960a, sm57" or whatever because I nearly explained it in six words.

Dude coulda just replied "lol gotta do that for the YouTube algorithm" and I'd be cool with it because that's the name of the game. but nah, dudes lack of social skills flared up at it and I now have this story.

This is why reverb's "synth sounds of" videos were so good. The host had some serious charisma with his high top fade and members only jacket; got the list of gear out of the way in like two words; and showed you the parts you cared about in the song as well as why you need certain effects for it. Like Jump without the chorus just isn't the same.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Spanish Manlove posted:

That guy wrote me back a really long message when I made fun of him for taking twenty minutes to explain the early iron maiden tone of "hot rod strat, Plexi, 1960a, sm57" or whatever because I nearly explained it in six words.
They must've started using boosts at some point, right? The tone on "Where Eagles Dare" seems way too hot for a Plexi on its own.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Anime Reference posted:

They must've started using boosts at some point, right? The tone on "Where Eagles Dare" seems way too hot for a Plexi on its own.

I think right after killers they started using a TS8 or something

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Jr. posted:

I might be wrong, but I instantly thought it was this:

But side by side I'm realizing the one in the guitar photo might also be a melted Soviet clone

e: help I can't stop laughing, this is some "selfie vs photo someone else takes" poo poo

Holy gently caress!

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I had the bright idea to get a SX 5 string and mod it a few years ago. I hadn't realized just how low the overall quality of SX stuff is, so it turned out to be a waste of time and money. I did end up using it for a while, but eventually the neck got misaligned and wouldn't sit right, and the cheap wiring crapped out. Slamming it down on stage a few times may have had something to do with that, I will admit. I ended up selling it to a guy who said he was going to fix it as a project.

I was browsing craigslist today, and what do you know, there it is, at a Kingsway pawn shop! https://vancouver.craigslist.org/bnc/msd/d/burnaby-sx-precision-5-string-bass/7035963815.html

I'm thinking it may have gone through more than one owner since I last saw it. It looks like it has 2 different kinds of tuner now, and some more damage. $250 is insane, since I can tell just from the pictures that the neck is still totally misaligned. I knew right away it was my bass because no one ever bothered to replace the poorly cut pickguard with the chopped off broken end :lol:

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Spanish Manlove posted:

Dude coulda just replied "lol gotta do that for the YouTube algorithm" and I'd be cool with it because that's the name of the game. but nah, dudes lack of social skills flared up at it and I now have this story.

This is why reverb's "synth sounds of" videos were so good. The host had some serious charisma with his high top fade and members only jacket; got the list of gear out of the way in like two words; and showed you the parts you cared about in the song as well as why you need certain effects for it. Like Jump without the chorus just isn't the same.

My favorite How to Sound Like article was the one in the old Pro Guitar Shop Tone Report about how to sound like Kurt Cobain. It was three pages of, "Well, Kurt just used whatever pieces of trash they had at the venue or studio, but here's $4,000 worth of stuff you can use to sound somewhat like him!"

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!

Spanish Manlove posted:

The only time I ever saw a video by this guy, he was taking 20 minutes to say "did you know you can play basses through guitar amps?". Who's the target market for dead air and "tips" that are old news to everybody and their mother?

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Death Panel Czar posted:

The only time I ever saw a video by this guy, he was taking 20 minutes to say "did you know you can play basses through guitar amps?". Who's the target market for dead air and "tips" that are old news to everybody and their mother?

Wait what this is world changing information here.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

You know how the first Marshalls were clones of the Fender Bassman?

Yeah.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

OutOfPrint posted:

My favorite How to Sound Like article was the one in the old Pro Guitar Shop Tone Report about how to sound like Kurt Cobain. It was three pages of, "Well, Kurt just used whatever pieces of trash they had at the venue or studio, but here's $4,000 worth of stuff you can use to sound somewhat like him!"
It's insane to look at his pedals and just... see the things laying on the floor, usually with tons of duct-tape. No proper "pedalboard". AFAIK, he did go with Mesa Boogie preamps, because he liked the midrange they had (probably with the 5-band EQ most Mesa heads had going for them) but otherwise yeah, he didn't seem like a picky gearhead or anything.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Death Panel Czar posted:

While definitely possible (an electric signal is an electric signal after all) I thought that was generally a bad idea since the lower frequencies of a bass are liable to damage guitar amps/cabs.

The other way round (guitar through a bass amp) is fine though, and a lot of guitar players did that back in the 60s.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Spanish Manlove posted:

What was his exact reply?

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

I thought that was generally a bad idea since the lower frequencies of a bass are liable to damage guitar amps/cabs.
Power kills speakers, not frequency range. A V30's rated for and will reproduce poo poo down to 20Hz and bottom out if you go lower than that. Octave pedals won't void your guitar rig's warranty.

Now, plug a 500W bass head into a regular ~100W 4x12 and max that fucker out, you will blow some speakers. But if you play a bass through a regular guitar amp into an appropriately matched cabinet it won't damage anything.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Thanks for the info. That makes sense. Maybe the person who told me that got confused between power and frequency, since, to get the same volume, you generally need a more powerful bass amp than guitar amp.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Thanks for the info. That makes sense. Maybe the person who told me that got confused between power and frequency, since, to get the same volume, you generally need a more powerful bass amp than guitar amp.

That's actually a weirdly prolific myth. I've heard it from multiple different people too.

It's incorrect, but that doesn't stop it from being repeated fairly often.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

While definitely possible (an electric signal is an electric signal after all) I thought that was generally a bad idea since the lower frequencies of a bass are liable to damage guitar amps/cabs.

The other way round (guitar through a bass amp) is fine though, and a lot of guitar players did that back in the 60s.

Lemmy and Jason Newsted are both known to have played through plain-rear end Marshall half-stacks for high end stuff and distortion.

edit: to be fair both are/were largely guitar-esque players

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

GreatGreen posted:

That's actually a weirdly prolific myth. I've heard it from multiple different people too.

It's incorrect, but that doesn't stop it from being repeated fairly often.

Care to explain more? It does piss me off when people say something is wrong but don't bother to say what's actually correct.

E: I'm happy to be corrected, but just saying "you're wrong" doesn't help anyone. Be constructive

1000 Brown M and Ms fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Dec 17, 2019

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
yeah a lot of distorted bass tones are just regular guitar amps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Don't tell anyone but I have a keyboard connected to a guitar amp.