Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Howard Phillips posted:

Space Force will be under the Secretary of the Air Force. The law also prohibits the Air Force from creating additional positions to man the Space Force. All the personnel for the new service will come from the Air Force. The exception is of course the HQ personnel, new secretaries, SES, and GS15s created. Self licking ice cream working as designed :D

Hell yea, gonna be a Space Force SES and just send out weekly department wide emails that say "Space, the final frontier".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

PneumonicBook posted:

Hell yea, gonna be a Space Force SES and just send out weekly department wide emails that say "Space, the final frontier".

yes captain

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

The house bill that just passed says that it will be effective for births and placements after Oct 1, 2020. Probably best to wait and see what gets signed in to law before ordering a bunch of babies.

I will feel bad for the people who barely miss the cutoff. I somehow feel entitled to retroactive benefits even though I was about five years too early.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

You also have to promise to come back to work for at least 12 weeks following the leave, which is kinda odd. Also must have been employed for a year, like FLMA.

No indication so far that the benefits don't stack for federal couples. Throw in another 12 weeks of FLMA per person and a federal couple could feasibly patch together a year of childcare (albeit half unpaid). I think annual leave and sick leave can also be added to the mix.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

So would this paternal leave require you to spend accrued leave to actually get paid?

My wife could take a bunch of time off for maternity leave but in order to get paid she needed to have paid leave accrued and to spend that. Otherwise it was unpaid.

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

Olothreutes posted:

So would this paternal leave require you to spend accrued leave to actually get paid?

My wife could take a bunch of time off for maternity leave but in order to get paid she needed to have paid leave accrued and to spend that. Otherwise it was unpaid.

No, it explicitly doesn’t come from accrued leave. Agencies will have to fund directly, there will probably be another leave code set up.

You probably already know but for the peanut gallery - OPM already has relatively detailed guidance for these cases (but check with your agency before planning, they may not be well trained on the policy). In general, you can use up to 12 weeks sick leave each year to care for a family member with a serious health condition, including recovering from childbirth (I took three weeks sick leave after my daughter was born). In your wife’s case, it looks like she should have been eligible for up to 240 hours advanced sick leave.

The new guidance looks like it makes FMLA paid but only for either parent after childbirth, adoption, or foster care (so not for a serious medical condition in general). So yes, if both parents are federal employees then they should be able to take alternate 12 week periods paid, within a year from the qualifying event.

e: News articles say differently, but if I’m reading the NDAA text correctly it looks like it applies to all cases for FMLA, including a serious medical condition. YMMV, consult your friendly legal/HR professional

Kolodny fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Dec 12, 2019

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
This would be a cool job for a recent grad. Basically you buy shitloads of food and coordinate donations to food banks, schools, indian reservations, etc. thanks to supreme president smoothbrain, there’s a ton of work doing trade mitigation purchases but in normal years there’s still work to do just for good old fashioned food assistance programs. It’s a job that makes a difference and you can feel good about. There’s also a path to doing this work at GS12, through promotional/competitive job listings.

https://go.usa.gov/xpvbr

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Desperately trying to work my way down the ladder by applying to every federal job near me in Iowa, gonna end up a GS-5 data entry clerk with an avenue to 6 someday

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

Dr. Quarex posted:

Desperately trying to work my way down the ladder by applying to every federal job near me in Iowa, gonna end up a GS-5 data entry clerk with an avenue to 6 someday

You underachiever, you

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
GS5's make the world go 'round.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

GS5 4 lyfe, or at least for another month or so until I reach my one-year mark and get my grade increase :colbert:

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011

Dr. Quarex posted:

At least you're in a place where that salary is livable, bro.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Delorence Fickle posted:

At least you're in a place where that salary is livable, bro.
Oh totally. My wife and I did the math about my GS-9 Chicago/commuting to Iowa on weekends salary, and we were pretty sure my functional take-home pay after commuting and second household expenses was equivalent to an Iowa GS-5 (and not even a GS-5/10, as I would logically be if I did get one).

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
the irs is insane. insane. nothing is as it should be

nothing is documented

there are gaps in the procedures, filled with the report

open the folder

close the folder

one hour per return

my mind is going

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Discendo Vox posted:

nothing is documented

open the folder

close the folder

one hour per return

my mind is going

Dude, just follow the IRM and talk to your lead, don't write survival-horror NPC madness diaries about it

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

Dude, just follow the IRM and talk to your lead, don't write survival-horror NPC madness diaries about it

Why not? It would be an improvement over the IRM.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

lmao, i work off local site docs like seattle's and check the irm references to be covered if i want a refresher on an edge case. anything that is too hosed up for seattle or portland to help with is probably going to require some campus putz to fix anyway... sorry for your lots :v:

tbf my more well-trafficked irms are probably only nicer because when callers brought grievances to their reps or calls were reviewed it could be traced directly to writing fuckups that got the csrs confused, but there's definitely a fuckton of poo poo even so that you just can't figure out if you don't already know where to look

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

nothing is documented

open the folder

close the folder

one hour per return

my mind is going

lol, in 6 months you'll be doing pre-audits in your sleep.

Slig
Mar 30, 2010

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah, it would be much more entertaining in the form of a proper text adventure style.

OPEN FOLDER

EXIT NORTH

YOU ARE AUDITING A GRUE

You know, a little more flavor.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

TheMadMilkman posted:

lol, in 6 months you'll be doing pre-audits in your sleep.

Antivehicular posted:

There are IRP codes that are undocumented in any part of the IRM. There are casefiles, untouched by precedent or policy. There are EQRS that no human can meet.

No.

Human.

I know that I'm lucky- the attrition rate for my wave is apparently through the roof. I'm...mostly...doing well, despite everything, but...it's really not about how I am doing. It's about the broader picture, the policies, the behaviors, the expectations. I think a lot of people here have stockholm syndrome. We get used to how unbelievably hosed up these procedures are, our minds contort to accept them. It's been so bad, so long, and responsibility is so diluted, that there's no one in service that can really remember or understand what it would be like for things to improve. The culture of hosed up defensive cynicism is remarkable, even compared to other federal agencies.

My OJI pulls me aside and says things like "I'm sorry, I don't know how you keep getting cases like this" or"I checked and none of us have ever seen this happen before" and she tries to take things into account. But I can only hear "this is abnormal, it shouldn't be happening" so many times.

The darkness drops again; but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Enterprise Case Management to be born?

Slig posted:

Yeah, it would be much more entertaining in the form of a proper text adventure style.

I'd like to joke about Bureaucracy, but that game is much easier, much more user-friendly, and far younger than the IDRS.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Dec 17, 2019

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
On the plus side it looks like we're getting 3.1%

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

PneumonicBook posted:

On the plus side it looks like we're getting 3.1%

Civilians too?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Howard Phillips posted:

Civilians too?

Is the military raise 3.1 also? I stopped caring what the military got once I went selres, but yea I'm referring to civilian employees.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

PneumonicBook posted:

Is the military raise 3.1 also? I stopped caring what the military got once I went selres, but yea I'm referring to civilian employees.

Yeah I thought 3.1 was mil only because I was working on NDAA related stuff earlier this year. If 3.1 is civilian also then that's great!

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I'm gonna cross-post this here from the negotiation thread:

I've got some government negotiation questions I'd like a perspective on:

I currently have another job offer in hand from EPA. It's a lateral to a more interesting job, but more work for the same pay in a more niche industry but an office with growth opportunities.

My current job is insanely easy, I have near complete autonomy, and low pressure. There are lots of jobs in the industry, but I'm capped out on my career options locally and have a new director that's actively stopped me from getting at least a detail to another spot with more options/growth for me because they "don't want to lose someone" (this is why I've started looking elsewhere.) My immediate manager at least is great though and buffers most of the crap that rolls down.

Do I:

Go to the new director and negotiate for the detail (letting them know I have an offer elsewhere now), where I can do interesting work but also look for a stronger offer elsewhere in the meantime.

Take the new offer, even with the downsides (same pay, more work)

Silently turn down the new offer and keep looking.

Take the offer and just move on.

Or is there another option I'm overlooking?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

discendo your experiences and thoughts resonate with mine a bit (think i got a better proportion of 'normal' poo poo that's by the book but did end up with plenty that required lead/oji explanations), but you really only get two choices: laugh, learn, and accept the insanity for what it is or give up and run away. unless i guess you manage to get into the position of handling the huger broad picture before you get too accustomed to the way things are, then by all means fix away

please do keep the thread updated if you grow a fascination for cthulhu or the like though, might contribute to the shrine

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
ph'nglui mglw'nafh IDRS R'lyeh

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

The darkness drops again; but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Enterprise Case Management to be born?

I'd like to joke about Bureaucracy, but that game is much easier, much more user-friendly, and far younger than the IDRS.

lol ECM. If they manage to deliver 1/10th of what they're promising it will be a miracle.

And IDRS is remarkably fast and stable. It may not be user-friendly, but for mission-critical systems, fast and stable are a godsend.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Finally got my DEA offer, GS-9 but a fair bit less than I was expecting. I’ve already had to move on to another job (that pays quite a bit more). Still kinda feels bad to turn it down after all this time, but oh well.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Finally got my DEA offer, GS-9 but a fair bit less than I was expecting. I’ve already had to move on to another job (that pays quite a bit more). Still kinda feels bad to turn it down after all this time, but oh well.

Is it laddered? I regretted turning down a gov offer because I thought it was too low at the time. If I had taken that one two years ago, I would be promoted and have way more experience by now.

@El Mero Mero

Take the offer if you are unhappy where you are. I would not try to negotiate with your current boss for better work. Do try to negotiate with the new offer for a slight bump in pay. If they refuse it, then it also makes it easier to turn down.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

ph'nglui mglw'nafh IDRS R'lyeh

If it makes you feel less worse, the new TCOs in my office all feel underwater as well.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Howard Phillips posted:

@El Mero Mero

Take the offer if you are unhappy where you are. I would not try to negotiate with your current boss for better work. Do try to negotiate with the new offer for a slight bump in pay. If they refuse it, then it also makes it easier to turn down.

So the EPA HR person told me that step negotiations are only reserved for people who are just starting out their service, and not available to folks already in the federal employ that are transferring to another agency.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Howard Phillips posted:

Is it laddered? I regretted turning down a gov offer because I thought it was too low at the time. If I had taken that one two years ago, I would be promoted and have way more experience by now.

Thanks for the insight. Yeah, it’s on the normal promotion schedule, I guess they put me in as a step 1 and I was expecting higher. The biggest issue is honestly that it’s not a job/field I’m particularly interested in (my new/current job isn’t thrilling either but I like the field (telematics) and my pay is quite nice).

Looking at it, it would take at least 4 years for me to get back to where I am on pay (GS-13) and somewhere in there you’re forced to become management and rotate through DC, which even my interviewers cautioned against. I would’ve taken it straight away if it had come through sooner or maybe in a few more months if current job continues apace.

Plus y’all got all these incompetence horror stories that make it all seem oh so appealing :xd:

Slig
Mar 30, 2010

It's hard to compare fed jobs to other jobs on the basis of just straight salary.

When I left contracting I took a major paycut but gained a bunch of benefits. In two years I was back up to near what I was making because my job series is a 7/9/11/12/13. If the diversion investigator spots are the same as I remember when I was shotgun applying to everything then they should be a similar ladder progression.

Started as a 9, one year to 11, then one to 12. Got word they are killing early 13s for my agency and making that auto at 2 years as 12, so the auto 13 will be in another 9 months for me. With my locality that puts me into 6 figures, which I could have made as a contractor as well, and sooner, but without pension, life insurance, medical insurance, job security, student loan forgiveness,
etc.

Depending on where you're at life wise that is definitely something to consider. If you already get all of that stuff at your current job and you see yourself staying there because you like the work, then it's a no brainer. But otherwise take a second look at the benefits stuff you have now vs what you would have federally.

Edit: Of course I started typing that before seeing your next post. Yeah 13 will take a bit to get back to but again what your life circumstances are will dictate if you can eat that cut for a couple of years. Some agencies will direct hire a 13, some will limit people to starting at a 7, 9, or 11 if they dont have prior fed/mil experience. If you have directly applicable experience try to negotiate some steps. Might get lucky with a 9 step 10.

Something else to consider, is this job interesting enough for you to stay 3 years to get the permanent reinstatement eligibility for hiring on other fed jobs?

Slig fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 17, 2019

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Slig posted:

Something else to consider, is this job interesting enough for you to stay 3 years to get the permanent reinstatement eligibility for hiring on other fed jobs?

Speaking of reinstatement, I've been wondering about something. I hired on in 2010, so my FERS contribution is only 0.8%. If I were to leave the government and come back, would I still only contribute 0.8%, or would I be bumped up to the current 4.4%?

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

So I guess what I actually have is a final offer email, and if I accept then I’ll get the formal letter? I asked for benefits info and they said it would be included with the letter. I guess accepting here doesn’t legally obligate me? I figure actually signing the letter is what deals the deal. Wanted to review benefits before I make my decision.

In some ways this is a no-brainer but part of my brain is still nagging at me.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Thanks for the insight. Yeah, it’s on the normal promotion schedule, I guess they put me in as a step 1 and I was expecting higher. The biggest issue is honestly that it’s not a job/field I’m particularly interested in (my new/current job isn’t thrilling either but I like the field (telematics) and my pay is quite nice).

Looking at it, it would take at least 4 years for me to get back to where I am on pay (GS-13) and somewhere in there you’re forced to become management and rotate through DC, which even my interviewers cautioned against. I would’ve taken it straight away if it had come through sooner or maybe in a few more months if current job continues apace.

Plus y’all got all these incompetence horror stories that make it all seem oh so appealing :xd:

I'm looking to ride that vague gov management gravy train to the end. No objective ways to measure my performance? Sounds great. :smug:

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Howard Phillips posted:

I'm looking to ride that vague gov management gravy train to the end. No objective ways to measure my performance? Sounds great. :smug:

It’s not the position itself, moreso the forced rotation to DC and subsequent placement where ever they have a spot open.

Slig
Mar 30, 2010

It’s not the position itself, moreso the forced rotation to DC and subsequent placement where ever they have a spot open.

I know a number of 14s that substituted going foreign instead of the HQ rotation. Some even managed to not leave their first office and get a 14. Not sure if that's still a thing at DEA or will be going forward since one of them recently got passed over for a 15 position because the other candidate did an HQ rotation so I guess YMMV. Caveat: That was not Diversion, could be different for different series.

There was also talk about DEA forcing agents to mandatory border rotations and everyone seems to be laughing about the amount of lawsuits/attrition that will draw even though all their agents sign a mobility agreement. I get the feeling from the people I talk to that the mobility agreement is rarely enforced for specifically those reasons already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

I’d never seen foreign mentioned but with a family, etc. my globe-trotting days are probably behind me. DC was mostly bad as the wage wasn’t livable, really, from what I was told.

It seems like they went out of their way to reassure me that the mobility isn’t some strictly enforced deal, so I’d say that skepticism fits. It only came into play for DC and then subsequent assignment since those management spots are less common. Obviously they aren’t overrun with qualified candidates, so attrition from that might be a serious concern.

Sounds like I can accept then have leeway to change my mind after I see the benefits (boot camp doesn’t start until February). Going to think on it some more, just that nagging doubt.