Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

qbert posted:

You can use this as a jumping off point to get a general idea of what the settings do, and then go from there.

Perfect, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

BonoMan posted:

BestBuy actually has the 65" 2018 TCL 6 Series for $499 with a free Nest mini.

Grab that instead!

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-65-class-led-6-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr-roku-tv/6204551.p?skuId=6204551

It's the deal of the day for today only though.

This looks like a solid price for a good TV, any gotchas to that 2018 model compared to the 2019? Seems like a $200 price difference at least.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I just recommended the 55" TCL 6 series to a colleague today at Costco!

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

This looks like a solid price for a good TV, any gotchas to that 2018 model compared to the 2019? Seems like a $200 price difference at least.

A little late here, but the things I recall are the 2019 having 4 HDMI inputs instead of 3 and having quantum LED backlighting. Neither is remotely worth an extra $200 though.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Whats the price of the biggest top of the line tv right now?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

$30k will get you the 88" OLED. $5K and $10K will get you the two variants of the 77" version.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The Bananana posted:

Whats the price of the biggest top of the line tv right now?

A 292 inch Samsung “The Wall” MicroLED probably costs close to a million dollars.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
98" Sony Z9G at $60k is certainly up there.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Waroduce posted:

I'm not going to set up a nest or anything in my house, I'm not into all that smart home bullshit for privacy reasons. If thats a solid TV I may just pull the trigger on that.

I’m legitimately curious what people consider so valuable in terms of their privacy.

Obviously if you’re doing something super illegal, sure. But I just don’t get what average people have to hide.

Like do you care if someone hears you gently caress or something? The reality is, 99% of people are completely and totally uninteresting and even if it was logistically possible to invade your privacy on the personal level, no one cares beyond selling it for marketing.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
If someone wants to listen to me gently caress they gotta pay for it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Taima posted:

even if it was logistically possible to invade your privacy on the personal level, no one cares beyond selling it for marketing.
Well it's an interesting issue. The average person still feels like their appliances should turn on, do the thing, and turn off. The idea that they're also reporting usage, collecting voice data to improve machine learning poo poo, having their data sold off for marketing purposes or whatever seems like a transgression. There's no indication it's doing that, and for many people it comes off as invasive or dishonest.

The bigger issue is the idea that we should just be ok with companies collecting our information and then selling it off, with no recourse or say.

And there's an extremely small subset of people that have legit privacy concerns, like people working for Gov Contractors or military-adjacent folks.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

To save you the trouble of scrolling through, here's what rtings had to say about 2018 vs 2019:

quote:

The R625 has a more premium design and a much better local dimming feature, but the R617 is brighter and has better reflection handling. The R625 has a higher backlight flicker frequency, but a slower response time, and motion doesn't look as good

R625 is the 2019. R617 has a few model numbers - I got the R613 from Costco, and its the same panel. It's a very solid TV. Great picture, some noticeable vignette at the corners that I can't be bothered to care about for the price.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Boxman posted:

To save you the trouble of scrolling through, here's what rtings had to say about 2018 vs 2019:

R625 is the 2019. R617 has a few model numbers - I got the R613 from Costco, and its the same panel. It's a very solid TV. Great picture, some noticeable vignette at the corners that I can't be bothered to care about for the price.

Also the R615 is the best buy model if you get it fomr there

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

TCL 55S525 $300 shipped

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Taima posted:

I’m legitimately curious what people consider so valuable in terms of their privacy.

Obviously if you’re doing something super illegal, sure. But I just don’t get what average people have to hide.

Like do you care if someone hears you gently caress or something? The reality is, 99% of people are completely and totally uninteresting and even if it was logistically possible to invade your privacy on the personal level, no one cares beyond selling it for marketing.

More and more smart devices have more ways to get information about you, cameras, speakers, etc. They are also being made to easily access your information remotely for ease of use but it's causing an issue with bad actors getting access https://nypost.com/2019/12/13/staten-island-creep-hacks-into-ring-security-camera-to-spy-on-teenager/

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

FilthyImp posted:

Well it's an interesting issue. The average person still feels like their appliances should turn on, do the thing, and turn off. The idea that they're also reporting usage, collecting voice data to improve machine learning poo poo, having their data sold off for marketing purposes or whatever seems like a transgression. There's no indication it's doing that, and for many people it comes off as invasive or dishonest.

The bigger issue is the idea that we should just be ok with companies collecting our information and then selling it off, with no recourse or say.

And there's an extremely small subset of people that have legit privacy concerns, like people working for Gov Contractors or military-adjacent folks.

Sure, individual users view this as an intrusion. They are going to have a rough time in the coming decades, if so. Without being too specific, I work in this space. You wouldn't believe what these companies already have, but ultimately no one cares what you jack off to or what depraved poo poo you google at 2:58am on a Wednesday, or how long you gently caress before your wife fakes her orgasm. The data that regular people view as sensitive is, most of the time, poo poo no one cares about nearly 100% of the time.

The sooner people view themselves as uninteresting, the better. If there's one thing I would jealously guard, it's your genetic data. If you bought that 23 and me kit or whatever that data is now out there forever, good job. Hope you like not getting insurance in 2030 because you got marked for a supposedly greater chance of, you know, cardiac issues or whatever.

Beyond that, companies are mostly interested in what you might spend money on. It turns out, this data is not interesting at all beyond the aggregate summation of entire demographics. There isn't even a good system to disseminate that type of information on a micro level.

That's one of the under-appreciated virtues of capitalism; if it doesn't make money, no one cares. And it's not like government(s) can take actionable steps based on this data either, in the medium term.

Of course as you astutely mention, this is a perception issue with the average person. I just don't know if what they perceive as important matters in the long run, so maybe it's time to buckle up and embrace a post-secrecy world. People would largely poo poo their pants if they knew the data that was already available for paid marketing purposes. That dystopian future isn't coming later, it's here now. Having a Google Home in your bedroom or not is irrelevant to the big picture.

Taima fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Dec 16, 2019

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I don’t understand why people object to this thing that makes me money

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

morestuff posted:

I don’t understand why people object to this thing that makes me money
lol

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
We're pretty far from the scope of an HDTV thread but "If you're not doing anything illegal what reason do you have to hide?" is my favorite argument brought up in these conversations.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

American McGay posted:

We're pretty far from the scope of an HDTV thread but "If you're not doing anything illegal what reason do you have to hide?" is my favorite argument brought up in these conversations.

It is by far the most common argument that people come up with when asked about privacy. All it tells me is the person in question either is completely oblivious about privacy to the point the first time they thought about it is probably when they said/typed that sentence OR they're actually so ethically bankrupt they try to push it as legitimate argument (see above).

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

My LG C9 got an update today and G-Sync seems to finally be working properly. I'm using a 2080 Super and before today, G-Sync would ironically create tearing issues in even simple apps like my browser. That being said, I honestly can't tell the difference between having it enabled and not.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Taima posted:

Hope you like not getting insurance in 2030 because you got marked for a supposedly greater chance of, you know, cardiac issues or whatever.

If the US is still trundling along with private insurance in 2030...man, I don’t know how to end that sentence but it’ll definitely be really sad.

TCL/roku TV question. Is there a way to see source info that I’m just missing? like, I’m watching something on Disney+, which has 4K content but I’m curious if I’m actually seeing 4K HDR or if it’s just a placebo. Someone is going to give me an answer and I’m going to feel like an idiot.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

lordfrikk posted:

It is by far the most common argument that people come up with when asked about privacy. All it tells me is the person in question either is completely oblivious about privacy to the point the first time they thought about it is probably when they said/typed that sentence OR they're actually so ethically bankrupt they try to push it as legitimate argument (see above).

In defense of that guy I don't think he's saying that, rather than pointing out that most of the fears people have about being surveilled have already come to fruition, and worrying about something like ad tracking or a smart home product (on certain grounds) is pointless as companies already have access to basically all our information we would consider private.

Of course there are very strong counter arguments based on principles, or worrying what a more malevolent regime/actor might/can/is doing with unfettered access to private data. But generally a lot of the time what people are worried about happening with regards to their 'private' data has already happened over years, voluntarily given up no less. And the things people think are harmful are irrelevant to corporations, while the things that have serious implications and ramifications people don't give a poo poo about.

See Cambridge Analytica building up detailed metrics for who to target with political advertising in the run up to Brexit and Trump, using information gleaned from one of those clickbaity 'take a quiz to learn what personality type you are' things.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Dec 16, 2019

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

The idea that you as an individual are demonstrably or meaningfully unique from the sample of peers who have already readily given up their personal information already is laughable but by all means, persist in the delusion that you matter or are in any significant way different.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Taima posted:

Sure, individual users view this as an intrusion. They are going to have a rough time in the coming decades, if so. Without being too specific, I work in this space. You wouldn't believe what these companies already have, but ultimately no one cares what you jack off to or what depraved poo poo you google at 2:58am on a Wednesday, or how long you gently caress before your wife fakes her orgasm. The data that regular people view as sensitive is, most of the time, poo poo no one cares about nearly 100% of the time.

The sooner people view themselves as uninteresting, the better. If there's one thing I would jealously guard, it's your genetic data. If you bought that 23 and me kit or whatever that data is now out there forever, good job. Hope you like not getting insurance in 2030 because you got marked for a supposedly greater chance of, you know, cardiac issues or whatever.

Beyond that, companies are mostly interested in what you might spend money on. It turns out, this data is not interesting at all beyond the aggregate summation of entire demographics. There isn't even a good system to disseminate that type of information on a micro level.

That's one of the under-appreciated virtues of capitalism; if it doesn't make money, no one cares. And it's not like government(s) can take actionable steps based on this data either, in the medium term.

Of course as you astutely mention, this is a perception issue with the average person. I just don't know if what they perceive as important matters in the long run, so maybe it's time to buckle up and embrace a post-secrecy world. People would largely poo poo their pants if they knew the data that was already available for paid marketing purposes. That dystopian future isn't coming later, it's here now. Having a Google Home in your bedroom or not is irrelevant to the big picture.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

The idea that you as an individual are demonstrably or meaningfully unique from the sample of peers who have already readily given up their personal information already is laughable but by all means, persist in the delusion that you matter or are in any significant way different.

As someone who does research on data and privacy for a living, specifically how individual beliefs about surveillance and data are shaped, these are the most obvious tells in the world that you're about to hear some bullshit. Any time someone says "your data as an individual is unimportant" or "if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to worry about" or "giving up your data is actually a benefit", that's a giant neon sign that they either don't know what they are talking about or work somewhere that relies on hoovering up data to be profitable. Yeah, individual data has limited utility. However millions upon millions of data points in aggregate open the door to a lot of very negative, manipulative possibilities from the micro to the macro, and the way that the introduction and normalization of quotidian surveillance results in an ever expanding datafication of your behavior means that there are more and more metrics being created through which your entire lifestyle is shaped, right down to how or what information you access. Don't talk to me about "anonymized" data, because those things can absolutely be undermined with enough context or computing power. On top of that, companies have shown zero compunction in proactively sharing data with government at all levels (like, for example, Ring), where it is obvious that the product in question is not actually collecting data as much as shaping the conditions under which data is produced in order to justify that product's existence (i.e. criminalizing otherwise harmless activity), expand the customer base, and allow government agencies (like cops) to have access to a bunch of data that they can then use to for their own purposes without the consent of user (do you have a Ring doorbell? Did you get a signed consent form from every kid that knocked on your door for Halloween?).

It's not some harmless thing and we shouldn't just go along with it because of the possible conveniences or accept it uncritically.

Anyway, I'm in the market for a new HDTV because our old Samsung is on it's last legs after our most recent move. Are there any decent affordable options with the least amount of "smart" capabilities or connectivity requirements? I don't need the top of the line model, we mostly just use it to play Sesame Street for my kid, so anything with fairly decent quality where I don't have to worry too much about burn in or pixels dying on me after 6 months or whatever will do.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 16, 2019

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Mat Cauthon posted:

Anyway, I'm in the market for a new HDTV because our old Samsung is on it's last legs after our most recent move. Are there any decent affordable options with the least amount of "smart" capabilities or connectivity requirements? I don't need the top of the line model, we mostly just use it to play Sesame Street for my kid, so anything with fairly decent quality where I don't have to worry too much about burn in or pixels dying on me after 6 months or whatever will do.

Low cost TVs, especially, have a high probability of subsidizing the purchase price by selling your advertising data (This article cites Vizio and thread favorite TCL as examples). In addition, smart capabilities are such a low-cost include at this point that you'd be hard pressed to find a TV even your kid wants to look at without them. That being said, the solution to privacy concerns is pretty simple - use a set top box with your preferred data hoarder, and don't keep your TV connected to the internet.

For a cheapo TV, assuming you're in the US, look at TCL TVs. Their lines are sensibly named, with the 6 series being their nicest and slowly losing various aspects of panel quality as you move down. Like I said, the 6 series is a favorite round here in the bang-for-buck category, although rtings prefers the Hisense H8F for a budget pick. Their list of budget picks will likely set you on the right track.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Taima posted:

I heard a story about one of the big firms in Europe where you can request all of the information they have on you. The person requested all of theirs, which included voice data from an in-home device. They sent this person someone else's data by mistake. So this person could hear *everything* that Apple or Google or Amazon had been listening to in this other person's home.

That right there is enough to make me never want to have my poo poo record me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This thread goes to weird places.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Rhyno posted:

This thread goes to weird places.

I'm super offended. Time for a new title Rhyno. :colbert:

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

If I want a longer power cord for my tv there's no reason I can't use a three prong cord even if the tv doesn't use the ground, right?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
We had our Vizio P-Series Quantium installed this weekend and I am pleased to report that Smartcast is fine. It feels like every review just shits on Smartcast constantly, I was trying to decide if we needed an Nvidia Shield, an Apple TV or both but now we will probably get neither.

Chromecast works, Airplay works, it's got live TV from Hulu, an Amazon video, Netflix, Youtube, my husband can work it. Like, it's not incredible but it is perfectly fine.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Are there any recommendations for coax crimping tools? I've never done it before but have about 5 that need to be done. The highest rated one on Amazon has a bunch of clearly fake reviews.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

High Definition Television - by all means, persist in the delusion that you matter or are in any significant way different.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

As someone who works for a adtech company which has been ramping up its connected tv program I thank you for your patronage.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Three Olives posted:

We had our Vizio P-Series Quantium installed this weekend and I am pleased to report that Smartcast is fine. It feels like every review just shits on Smartcast constantly, I was trying to decide if we needed an Nvidia Shield, an Apple TV or both but now we will probably get neither.

Chromecast works, Airplay works, it's got live TV from Hulu, an Amazon video, Netflix, Youtube, my husband can work it. Like, it's not incredible but it is perfectly fine.

Yeah, they fixed it pretty well. Originally there was hardly any native apps and you had to steam everything from your phone but they added a bunch of apps and they're fine.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Charles posted:

Are there any recommendations for coax crimping tools? I've never done it before but have about 5 that need to be done. The highest rated one on Amazon has a bunch of clearly fake reviews.

I don't know your exact situation, but I've put new ends on some coax recently and they make a "screw on" kind that essentially grinds itself into the rubber on the outside of the coax. Works great for the two times I've used it. No tools needed as long as you have a bit of wire exposed.

edit: https://www.amazon.com/CIMPLE-CO-Co...2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

BonoMan posted:

I don't know your exact situation, but I've put new ends on some coax recently and they make a "screw on" kind that essentially grinds itself into the rubber on the outside of the coax. Works great for the two times I've used it. No tools needed as long as you have a bit of wire exposed.

edit: https://www.amazon.com/CIMPLE-CO-Co...2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

I can handle that! Thank you!

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

About a month with the C9 and we adore the TV but we despise the remote. I look at the new Shield remote and swoon. Is there any chance the programmable button on that can be assigned to change TV input sources?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
BTW I recently bought and returned the Insignia 24" TV with Fire OS from Best Buy for $100. While it sounds like a good value it took two years of downloaded updates just to get it to show the channel number, and you cannot sort by channel number the way a normal TV would function. Also, there is no channel up and down button on the remote. This is a terrible choice for an old person. It is lacking the most basic of TV watching functions. Otherwise it'd be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

H110Hawk posted:

As someone who works for a adtech company which has been ramping up its connected tv program I thank you for your patronage.

I'm just an average guy.