Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The OPCW FFM addressed the whistleblowers concerns in the final report on Douma, so it only really does in the mind of people who want it to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Are these types of US laws where they basically try to ban the whole world from doing business with entire states they don't like at the pain of being cut off from access to the US market (aka the heart of global capitalism) new?

Because they seem new. And also uhhh, destabilizing? Like in a "once this legislation gets out of hand it feels like they might set up another leadup to WW1 type of situation".

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Orange Devil posted:

Are these types of US laws where they basically try to ban the whole world from doing business with entire states they don't like at the pain of being cut off from access to the US market (aka the heart of global capitalism) new?

Because they seem new. And also uhhh, destabilizing? Like in a "once this legislation gets out of hand it feels like they might set up another leadup to WW1 type of situation".
I'd like to introduce you to a little country called Iran.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I'd like to introduce you to a little country called Iran.

Yeah I know this isn't the first instance of these types of laws, but was this used before Iran? Is this something that's been going on since before uhh, this administration? Or this century?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Orange Devil posted:

Yeah I know this isn't the first instance of these types of laws, but was this used before Iran? Is this something that's been going on since before uhh, this administration? Or this century?
The Iran sanctions predate this administration by a few decades.

The US didn't have the ability to enforce similar sanctions a century ago. They rely heavily on the fact that US banking dominates global finance, and that's a relatively new thing.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
What does the US hope to achieve with these sanctions? Targeted sanctions against Assad and other regime leaders (and their relations) to directly negative effect their lives would be entirely reasonable, and could be justified as an incentive to encourage the regime to behave a bit better. But blanket banning any business with the entire country of Syria, when the civil war is essentially over, is just going to make civilians suffer.

Assad and the elite will still live in relative economic comfort. And its not like this is going to encourage civilians to rise up against Assad in a revolution, because theres a pretty recent story of that happening and not going so well.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Orange Devil posted:

Cuba, 1996
Iran and Libya, 1996

Blut posted:

What does the US hope to achieve with these sanctions?

Wars, revolutions, terrorism, and all-around instability.

The more unstable the Middle East is, the more the Saudi petromonarchies need US protection. The more they need US protection, the stronger the grip the US have over the large majority of oil exports in the world. He who controls Spice, controls the universe.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Retarded Goatee posted:

Ah yes, this is the west with its principled stand against human right abuses. It's not at all a transparent cudgel against a state actor deemed unacceptable to US interests.

:rolleye:

I don't have to defend anything about any US actions anytime, anywhere, in order to despise Assad and everything he's done and stands for.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
The US has been imposing a lot of sanctions on a lot of countries these last few years. I feel like it isn't effective and will undermine the US lead financial order at some point if it continues.

Also:
Russian forces enter Raqqa.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

OhFunny posted:

The US has been imposing a lot of sanctions on a lot of countries these last few years. I feel like it isn't effective and will undermine the US lead financial order at some point if it continues.

The US market would have to stop being attractive for that to happen, so Trump's tariffs on everything imported is a lot more likely to make this happen than sanctions on penniless third-world countries.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

OhFunny posted:

Yeah, it's really seen an uptick in the last few years. There's been moves to try and circumvent the US financial system (see the EU and Iran) but none have really worked. But the more the US uses these for geopolitical gain, the more other countries will seek a way around it, or look for ways to game the system themselves.

It's hard to imagine how this would actually transpire, given for dominant the US is in matters financial. Still, I think in the future people will look back on these pressure tactics as self-serving and short-sighted.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Count Roland posted:

Yeah, it's really seen an uptick in the last few years. There's been moves to try and circumvent the US financial system (see the EU and Iran) but none have really worked. But the more the US uses these for geopolitical gain, the more other countries will seek a way around it, or look for ways to game the system themselves.

It's hard to imagine how this would actually transpire, given for dominant the US is in matters financial. Still, I think in the future people will look back on these pressure tactics as self-serving and short-sighted.

Well supposedly the digital Yuan is almost ready, which both may circumvent US sanctions and eventually the USD itself, but the future is yet unwritten.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2019-12-11/turkey-will-retaliate-against-any-us-sanctions-foreign-minister

quote:

Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said in a statement that Ankara may insist that the U.S. leave Incirlik air base if Washington goes ahead with the sanctions it has threatened in response to Turkey's purchase of S-400 missiles, Sputnik reports.

"We will assess the worst-case scenario and make a decision. If the U.S. imposes sanctions against Turkey, then the issue of the Incirlik and Kurecik bases may be on the agenda," Cavusoglu said.

Speaking of sanctions and potential blowback.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I figured this was coming at some point

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Is this really a big deal for the US? The airbase is nice to have I'm sure, but other NATO states are close by, as is the Gulf where the US has bases.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Count Roland posted:

but other NATO states are close by

Greece would be the next closest NATO state, which seems like a bit of a pain. Unless the RAF starts allowing others to use their Cyprus territories.
Which for spiting Turkey would be the first time the Cypriots would actually like the British bases.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Incirlik's location is pretty drat ideal. Losing it would be a major inconvenience, to say the least.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
The US hasn't really done any more sanctions than normal afaik, though there's been a huge uptick in tariffs, which Trump clearly intends to function akin to sanction because he wants to punish countries for trade imbalances because he doesn't understand how international trade works.

I don't think the US has instituted anything close to the scale of the NK or Iraq sanctions in a long time, though the Iran sanctions were pretty severe and the most recent ones that come to mind. The sanctions against some Russian higherups are pretty severe... for the specific individuals targeted but not for anyone else really, afaik.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Count Roland posted:

Is this really a big deal for the US? The airbase is nice to have I'm sure, but other NATO states are close by, as is the Gulf where the US has bases.

Incirlik is where the US nukes are stored as part of the NATO nuclear sharing framework with Turkey. If the USAF needs to evacuate Incirlik, it'll be the end of nuclear sharing with Turkey.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
The US should've unilaterally pulled out the nukes and announced it after the fact, change my mind

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

suck my woke dick posted:

The US should've unilaterally pulled out the nukes and announced it after the fact, change my mind

I suspect the rules of NATO would rather frown on that. Keeping each other apprised of what you're up to is pretty integral to its operation.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Deteriorata posted:

I suspect the rules of NATO would rather frown on that. Keeping each other apprised of what you're up to is pretty integral to its operation.

Turkey hasnt exactly been doing the same, like giving the Russians access to S-400 radar data during exercises with F-16s.

And purchasing the S-400 in the first place.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Deteriorata posted:

That's why some NATO members who had special forces embedded with the Kurds were really, really happy to learn via Trump's twitter that the Americans were pulling out to let the Turks go on a genocidal rampage. (Sorry, "demographic correction" is the new official euphemism.) Hence NATO's "brain death" and so on.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Deteriorata posted:

Turkey is a NATO member only out of inertia and as long as Erdo is both undermining the alliance and murdering civilians they should be thrown to the wolves.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

suck my woke dick posted:

Turkey is a NATO member only out of inertia and as long as Erdo is both undermining the alliance and murdering civilians they should be thrown to the wolves.

Turkey is definitely not a NATO member "out of inertia", and NATO has no mechanism for kicking out a member, so good luck with that.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

enraged_camel posted:

Turkey is definitely not a NATO member "out of inertia", and NATO has no mechanism for kicking out a member, so good luck with that.
Just stop inviting them to meetings and kick them out of the group chat.

Problem solved

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

In other news..

The Turkish Navy deported an Israeli research ship near Cyprus two weeks ago.
https://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Turkish-Navy-engages-with-Israeli-research-ship-deporting-it-out-of-Cyprus-610923

As a response, Israel in cooperation with Cyprus are bringing the ship back today. As part of a "military exercise". Cyprus issued two NOTAMs for this:

A2390/19 NOTAMN
Q) LCCC/QWELW/IV/BO /W /180/370/3257N03148E017
A) LCCC B) 1912150900 C) 1912241500
D) 15 0900-1400, 19 20-24 0600-1500
E) MILITARY EXERCISE WILL TAKE PLACE IN AREA :
331028N 0313906E - 325711N 0320556E - 324319N 0315730E - 325511N
0312908E - 331028N 0313906E / ORANGE AREA
THE AREA WILL BE ACTIVATED IN REAL TIME THROUGH FULL COORDINATION
BETWEEN TEL AVIV AND NICOSIA ACC
THE AREA INCLUDES LATERAL AND VERTICAL BUFFER ZONE
F) FL180 G) FL370

A2384/19 NOTAMN
Q) LCCC/QWELW/IV/BO /W /150/250/3242N03216E017
324106N 0320027E - 325210N 0320320E - 324538N 0323034E - 323103N
0322928E - 323253N 0321948E - 324106N 0320027E / PURPLE AREA
F) FL150 G) FL250

Currently IAF units are also participating on the exercise. This is from an hour ago.

https://twitter.com/BabakTaghvaee/s...157220452454400

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Meanwhile:

https://twitter.com/YusufErim79/status/1205921853786775554
https://twitter.com/YusufErim79/status/1205921855586127872

and laffo:

https://twitter.com/YusufErim79/status/1205925956151644160

Yusuf Erim, Political analyst @trtworld posted:

BREAKING The Turkey-Libya Security and Military MoU has been presented to Turkish Parliament for approval. The deal includes: Turkish support for the establishment of a Quick Reaction Force covering police and military responsibilities and if requested, establishing a joint office of Defense and Security cooperation in Turkey and Libya.

Ankara is sending a strong message to its partners with this show of support and a stern statement to warlords and those who act unilaterally - their actions will not be tolerated.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Dante80 posted:

In other news..

The Turkish Navy deported an Israeli research ship near Cyprus two weeks ago.
https://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Turkish-Navy-engages-with-Israeli-research-ship-deporting-it-out-of-Cyprus-610923

As a response, Israel in cooperation with Cyprus are bringing the ship back today. As part of a "military exercise". Cyprus issued two NOTAMs for this:

A2390/19 NOTAMN
Q) LCCC/QWELW/IV/BO /W /180/370/3257N03148E017
331028N 0313906E - 325711N 0320556E - 324319N 0315730E - 325511N
0312908E - 331028N 0313906E / ORANGE AREA
F) FL180 G) FL370

A2384/19 NOTAMN
Q) LCCC/QWELW/IV/BO /W /150/250/3242N03216E017
324106N 0320027E - 325210N 0320320E - 324538N 0323034E - 323103N
0322928E - 323253N 0321948E - 324106N 0320027E / PURPLE AREA
F) FL150 G) FL250

Currently IAF units are also participating on the exercise. This is from an hour ago.

https://twitter.com/BabakTaghvaee/s...157220452454400

Middle East tensions soar as Pot orders Kettle out of area it doesn't own.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Turkey recently signed a maritime agreement with Libya (I'm sure Turkey's military support has nothing to do with Libyan government's willingness to sign) that basically gives Turkey the control of eastern Mediterranean and blocks the building of EastMed pipeline from Israel to Greece via Greek Cyprus. All of the neighbouring countries have protested this as a blatant grab of oil and gas reserves. Turkey acts like Crete or Cyprus don't even exist.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Nenonen posted:

Turkey recently signed a maritime agreement with Libya (I'm sure Turkey's military support has nothing to do with Libyan government's willingness to sign) that basically gives Turkey the control of eastern Mediterranean and blocks the building of EastMed pipeline from Israel to Greece via Greek Cyprus. All of the neighbouring countries have protested this as a blatant grab of oil and gas reserves. Turkey acts like Crete or Cyprus don't even exist.

How does this block the construction of a pipeline? Other countries do not need to recognize an agreement between Turkey and Libya.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Nenonen posted:

Turkey acts like Crete or Cyprus don't even exist.

Inaccurate. During the last election season a bunch of AKP posters had the entirety of Cyprus on it painted red with a moon and star. They seem extremely conscious of the fact that Cyprus exists.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Count Roland posted:

How does this block the construction of a pipeline? Other countries do not need to recognize an agreement between Turkey and Libya.

They have been sending Turkish navy to drive away anyone breaching their self-claimed maritime rights. So far they have been blocking research vessels from Italy and Israel. An Italian frigate made a stop in Cyprus last week reportedly to deliver the message that they too can show their flag in the area. I love what a beautiful mess NATO is in the Med.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Grape posted:

Middle East tensions soar as Pot orders Kettle out of area it doesn't own.

No, apparently the Israeli ship was there at Cyprus's request. And the speed in which a military exercise was summoned up suggests it was planned with Cyprus and Greece to draw Turkey out.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Unimpressed posted:

No, apparently the Israeli ship was there at Cyprus's request. And the speed in which a military exercise was summoned up suggests it was planned with Cyprus and Greece to draw Turkey out.

Turkey is the country claiming poo poo it doesn't own in this scenario.

Israel and Turkey butt diplomatic heads a lot, while literally both involved in much of the same exact crimes.

Grape fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 16, 2019

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Inaccurate. During the last election season a bunch of AKP posters had the entirety of Cyprus on it painted red with a moon and star. They seem extremely conscious of the fact that Cyprus exists.

Yup. Just gotta finish up the demographic corrections on the Greeks they started in 74'.
Then when thats all done, make sure to savagely smash the thriving democracy and civil society that the Turkish Cypriots have so that they stop complaining about how awesome Turkey is to them.

Maybe demographically correct them too.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Grape posted:

Turkey is the country claiming poo poo it doesn't own in this scenario.

Israel and Turkey butt diplomatic heads a lot, while literally both involved in much of the same exact crimes.

Oh sure, I thought you meant specifically in this instance that the Israeli ship was also there without permission.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Taliban attacked Bagram today. 2 weeks after trump leavs they straightup infiltrate the base.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Assault on bagram todaym 2 loving weeks after trumo makes a visit the taliban just strait up attacked the base.

Were at the final stage now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
More calm, dispassionate, and accurate analysis from WCG, our Walter Cronkite. Get this man a Pullitzer.