Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
Diglett should be called Whacka, clearly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.

Kemix posted:

I was gonna go with Sr. Fluff, but I’m gonna third BigZZZam

And I'll fourth it.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

The big sleepy Pokemon should be called Fat Timmy because I read some other goon's nephew/niece called it that and I taught my kid to call it that too.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Doing that emergency-threadbump thing again.

That said, I finally got a job offer, which means that for the first time in a couple years I will:

a) have evenings off
b) have weekends off
c) not have to split what time I do have off between looking for a better job and feeling guilty about not having a better job

So assuming I don't wash out in three months, I might have more time to play games for the Internet. We'll see!

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Seyser Koze posted:

That said, I finally got a job offer, which means that for the first time in a couple years I will:

a) have evenings off
b) have weekends off
c) not have to split what time I do have off between looking for a better job and feeling guilty about not having a better job

So assuming I don't wash out in three months, I might have more time to play games for the Internet. We'll see!

Congratulations!

And on a much more minor note about something much less important hooray for LP continuance.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Yay employment!

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Congrats on the job!

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Oh boy! I hope it goes well!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Seyser Koze posted:

a) have evenings off
b) have weekends off

Congratulations. :toot:

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
lol work sucks, I go home at the end of the day and just stare into space until I fall asleep

Time for drastic measures!

:toxx:

- From the beginning of December until I finish the game, with finishing being defined as collecting all the badges and beating whatever final bosses await at Indigo Plateau, but not including any postgame content, I will post a minimum of two LP updates per month.
- "Update" means a post with gameplay and pictures.
- This includes one update before the end of November 2019.
- If I'm unable to continue the LP because of loss of data, I guess I failed!

Maybe that will motivate me.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Godspeed. Or Goonspeed. Or whatever.

But seriously, I'm pulling for you and not just for this LP.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Okay, These Coffee Strikes Are Getting Ridiculous

All right. At this point, we're down to two paths available to explore: the one east of Cerulean, and this one. Today, we'll be exploring Route 11.

Here's our lineup. I'm trying to feed some levels into 'mons that I haven't been using, while still keeping one or two heavies around for when things get ugly. We'll see how that works for us. It doesn't, really.

A new route means a new batch of kids to rob.

Of course I won't cheat! :mad: This will be a perfectly fair and aboveboard six-on-one battle.

With Flounder being Flounder, Aznable still ends up doing the real work.

Don't worry kid, stick with it and you'll be shaking your peers down for their lunch money soon enough.

GAMERS! :btroll:

We fight a new fish amphibian Pokemon, and Flounder finally learns a new move! Yes, after grinding up to LEVEL 15, we have an actual attack skill that can do damage. I knew all this leveling would finally pay off.

The old man speaks words of truth.

A bit to the east we find... wait, wires? :confused:

That's not what your overworld sprite looked like!

Well, whatever. Flounder, show them what you've learned! :getin:

:frogout:

I'm sure that Tackle just generally isn't effective against whatever type the Magnemite is, but I'm also pretty sure that the game is still trolling me and Flounder is still useless.

Unfortunately we're in some trouble at this point. Aznable took enough hits while carrying Flounder that he goes down now, and everybody else gets one-shot and/or can't do any damage.

And then this abomination seals the deal. I guess it makes sense that an evolved magnet monster is just a bunch of magnet monsters stuck together.

Anyway, we drag our carcasses back to town, get healed up, and try again, and this time Az incinerates everything immediately. Who would've guessed that magnets burn easily?

I don't get engineer humor.

I don't even remember what this guy had. Can you tell that I took these screenshots months ago?

I know we thoroughly crushed this kid's dreams of being a trainer, though.

There's not really anything of note on Route 11 except for trainers. It's just a straight shot to the east with you sweeping up and down to pick fights with everybody.

This guy had a Nidoran and a grown-up Nidoran. Regular trainers with evolved Pokemon are definitely becoming more common.

Stronger? Could there be... a Nidoran beyond the Nidoran!? :monocle:

A little further down the line, this old guy had nothing but highly-flammable plant Pokemon.

Cowardice isn't why PLANTS CATCH ON FIRE you idiot

Although here I stop to take stock of my team again. At this point half of my crew is basically dead weight - we've got the HM packrat, Dopefish, and an Abra who can only teleport. As for the other three, I've got Berserk and two who basically don't need the experience at the moment.

Here's another random engineer.

He had a Magnemite but wasn't otherwise noteworthy.

:corsair: I have never won before...

Darian actually has something new! I don't remember how the Vulpix fight went at all, except that I'm reasonably confident that Flounder was useless.

:smith:

Random screenshot of a random item on a random rock.

Wait, this kid has Pokemon classes? Why didn't Kat have any of those at her school?

Giant rat, worthless fish.

Maybe training means he does pushups in the morning and he just thinks that will correlate to Pokemon strength.

:byodood: I bet it'd be strong if you could catch it.

Foreshadowing?

I bet this guy's just utterly insufferable to that other guy who's never won.

There must be a magnet lair in the area for people to keep catching these.

:mad:

I spend a little time kicking around in the tall grass, but this guy is all I find.

Edward Mass posted:

You know Drowzee? Name the one you catch Trumpy, who can do stupid things.

You laugh now, but Trumpy's going to be the first Pokemon president. Let that thought keep you warm at night.

I think I only took this picture because I somehow managed to get a rock poisoned.

The route ends at this checkpoint.

:cop: You can get to ROCK TUNNEL from CERULEAN CITY.

Uh... why would I go all the way up to the rock tunnel when Lavender Town is literally right next door to us?

oh god drat it does this mean what i think it means

Yep, that's why I have people on the Internet come up with them for me.

I don't have one!

ohai

I think? I haven't actually been keeping count.

:woop:

Anyway, screw that Rock Tunnel business, we're just gonna pop on over here and...

and...

:sigh:

I can tell it's going to take a LOT of coffee to get this guy to move.

So we schlep all the way back to Cerulean City, but it's not all bad! On the way, we find the Triforce!

Actually it's the prompt for the Item Finder. But you all knew that already.

It only detects things if you're already standing near them, so I don't really have the patience to go scouring every last inch of the tunnel. Maybe later.

At this point we are literally down to our last option. Which we'll be exploring next time.

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 29, 2019

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Also, my powers of clairvoyance tell me that I'm going to need to use FLASH in the Rock Tunnel, and as it happens, Serf can't learn it! So I need a suggestion for a second HM learner (and name) before we can continue!

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Seyser Koze posted:

Also, my powers of clairvoyance tell me that I'm going to need to use FLASH in the Rock Tunnel, and as it happens, Serf can't learn it! So I need a suggestion for a second HM learner (and name) before we can continue!

Your Abra can learn it, but it's kinda a lovely move so maybe give it to a spherical red and white critter called a Pokéball

Names can be ten characters, right?

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Yay you're back!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Sadly your team needs to hit their 20s to really turn into proper shitwreckers. Particularly Flounder.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

There's a creepy thing you can trade for at the other end of diglett tunnel that should learn Flash, and you can discard it as soon as you're out of lavendar town. You get the pokedex data, a HM holder for Flash that is difficult to forget if you ever need them again, and it means you can go find an Old Amber On your trip as long as you bring the rat with you to CUT!

But to do this I think you need to catch another abra. So uh, that might be too much of a pain.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Yeah, Abra can learn Flash, but you can't get rid of an HM move once you've learned it.

If that's worth catching another one, by all means, but...

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I never understood how Flash can miss. It's literally lighting yourself up. What is there to miss?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I never understood how Flash can miss. It's literally lighting yourself up. What is there to miss?

The opposing Pokemon shields their eyes just before, I guess.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

teaching Lalah flash wouldn't be that bad, it's not like she'll need all four moveslots once she evolves. Can learn a few attacking TMs too but I don't know if there are any actual GOOD ones (I used Thief in my FR game just as a holdover).

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

You know, when I originally played pokemon games, I'd always make sure to have ALL HM moves I had available at that point with me at all times, even if that costed previous move slots. What if I run into a random cave that requires flash and I have to run all the way back to retrieve a pokemon that can learn it?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

AweStriker posted:

Yeah, Abra can learn Flash, but you can't get rid of an HM move once you've learned it.

If that's worth catching another one, by all means, but...

Nah there's a move deleter in fuchsia. The move relearner isn't readily available so you're stuck with a blank slot until you get a new level up move.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Except he isn't actuactually in gen I

bunnyofdoom fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 30, 2019

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Except he isn't actuactually in gen I

Good thing this is a gen III game?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

The games are easy enough that you can spare slots for HMs. But don't bother with Flash since it's a one and done in the Kanto games.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I thought the post game dungeon gave it a second use? But yeah, stick it on a ball named balls! so that you know what to shout if you lose and get forced to send it out.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I’ve always found gen iii darkness to be easy to stumble around in without Flash.

But I think that’s from the fact that 6 year old me didn’t know how to activate Flash in Sapphire so I just got used to it. :v:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

hopeandjoy posted:

I’ve always found gen iii darkness to be easy to stumble around in without Flash.

But I think that’s from the fact that 6 year old me didn’t know how to activate Flash in Sapphire so I just got used to it. :v:
The one-tile light radius certainly makes caves easier to navigate without Flash, but it's still not very fun.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Gen 1 was the funniest because flash was entirely replaceable with the contrast slider. The game still rendered everything, it just dimmed it.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Just caught up on this thread and it is very good.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
The Biking Woman and the Sea Serpent

I swear to god, if I go down this route and it turns out there's a coffee-powered UFO or something crashed at the exit...

Current loadout. Az and Zerk are going to be doing the heavy lifting, but hopefully the Oddish will turn into something useful at some point. Also Flounder's here because I hate myself and love pissing away experience.

Well, we're starting this journey off on the right foot! :black101:

She has nothing but highly-flammable plants. She says "You deceived me..." when we beat her. Not sure what about. :confused:

Thanks for the tip! If only I had a Pokemon that could use Flash!

Oozing our way over to the right, we run into this guy, eh.

I think he had a couple Geodudes or other rocky, crotch-kickable dudes. Eh. :canada:

Down in the corner behind our Canuck friend was another TM. One of these days I'll actually use one of these.

I'm not sure why this sign is behind multiple trainers, and at least three screens from civilization. Oh well!

I'd like to say trainers creeping on Kat's Pokemon is an improvement over them creeping on Kat, but...

I wasn't really expecting this guy to have one of the starters, but it wasn't too much trouble to bring him down all the same.

Jerk.

This route is a bit more convoluted than the others, and it doubles back a couple times. This path is just a trip back to the town. And this guy.

:byodood: What a total waste of time!

Random object on a conspicuous rock.

Lots of forks in the road leading to individual trainers and dead ends.

Nothing this direction but a hiker.

A very jolly hiker. Anyway, nothing else to do but double back...

And meet this guy!

Flounder dings 20, which I'm sure is a completely arbitrary and meaningless threshold.

I guess this is a super bug Pokemon? All that fur makes it pretty flammable though.

:(

Wait.

Can it be?

:aaa:

:aaaaa:

Holy crap. Or should I say... holy carp? :imunfunny:

My puns are better than yours. :colbert:

Yeah yeah, just give me some targets.

Rats! Soft. Furry. Edible.

YES!

Okay, that's less good. But Flounder chewed through a rock Pokemon on her own, that's got to count for something.

Right past that guy is this patch of grass, which is conspicuous enough that I assume it must have something unusual in it. But no, nothing but rats and snakes and Spearows as far as the eye can see.

Gahaha! Good!

:byodame: Don't you dare patronize me!

We haven't seen a Meowth for a bit, but it burns pretty good.

Aww. :unsmith:

I missed taking a shot of the end of the trail, but suffice it to say there's another Pokecenter there, ready to give us basic information that we should've received in the first town. Heck, we probably did. It was over a year ago.

I suppose if I was Generic Lab Assistant #69 I'd develop a sense of humor about my situation too.

Another case where we have to have 30 'Mons registered.

:awesome: However, at times you may not want a certain Pokemon to evolve. In that case, give the EVERSTONE to that Pokemon. It will prevent evolution according to the PROFESSOR.

:iiam:

A nearby patch of grass has one of these friendly fellows!

FoolyCharged posted:

I thought the post game dungeon gave it a second use? But yeah, stick it on a ball named balls! so that you know what to shout if you lose and get forced to send it out.

I confess, it was a tough call between this and the next one.

sebzilla posted:

Your Abra can learn it, but it's kinda a lovely move so maybe give it to a spherical red and white critter called a Pokéball

Names can be ten characters, right?

They can, but there's no lowercase-e-with-an-accent.

:flashfact:

...But I always lose.

There's a wall of trees that you could easily cut through, but then you'd miss this poor trainer.

The Pikachu is unusual, but still no great difficulty for us.

Can you imagine? Them? Up here in the mountains?

Uh-oh.

Route, then dungeon, and then probably another route.

DARKNESS

IMPRISONING ME

ALL THAT I SEE

ASBSOLUTE HORROR

RUH RUH RUH

RUH-RUH-RUH RUH

I DON'T KNOW THE WORDS

So yeah, as soon as we enter the Rock Tunnel we're viewing things in Dragon Quest vision. Having our new rotund friend use Flash makes things visible. Of course, the place is still full of trainers.

Ugh.

We haven't seen one of these before. I wonder if that means we'll get to recruit one.

That honestly seems like a downgrade from SKULL SQUIRREL, but hey, it's your lineup.

A little further in we come across a patch of these brown rocks, but none of my current 'mons seem to be able to do anything about it.

Down the ladder and into this guy.

Pokemaniacs mostly seem to have Drowsees and Cubones thus far. Our newly non-suckified Flounder rips through them pretty easily.

How did you even get out here?

Picknickers mostly seem to have plant Pokemon, so this should be a quick...

Huh. Well, I guess that's all three now.

Girl, I got bad news about what's going to happen your your overleveled starter Pokemon any day now.

Didn't this game come out in 2003? Did people even talk about cosplay back then?

No, this is a serious question. Like, I was watching Lucifer on Netflix a couple weeks ago (not a great show, don't recommend it) and they made a joke about cosplay and I was floored that people were talking about it in anything resembling a mainstream context.

I'm just fumbling around at this point. We've got picknickers with plants, we've got hikers with rocks, and we've got nerds with whatever the hell it is that nerds like. Not that I would know.

Sure, whatever.

drat straight.

Seriously, this place is a slog. I've lost count of the numbers of guys down here and it's just Zubats and Geodudes for wild Pokemon. At least Zerk is getting a workout.

Hell, :same:

Don't make me say it twice.

Unexpectedly I run into this guy, but accidentally crush him with a stray critical hit.

Not to worry though, right after we find this ever-so-rare Pokemon!

No suggestions for this one, so I had to come up with this one on my own.

Pfft, what the hell have you got that I can't

Uh.

Okay, I'm guessing that this guy's an evolved Geodude or something. Apparently it didn't realize that if you evolve legs you also evolve a groin and the accompanying... vulnerabilities.

Buddy, you have no idea.

We're lucky enough to run into another Machop while I'm faffing around in here.

Even if I had a suggestion for this one I'd still invoke LPer privilege right now.

More unbreakable breakable rocks.

You can bend twigs as trail markers.

:smug: Can you imagine? Boulders tumbling down on you? That'd be like, waaaaaaaaaaah! Total terror!

This isn't really worth teaching to anybody at this point.

Jerk.

I've had to use an escape rope once or twice, but the dungeon just. keeps. going.

Even more rocks.

One last nerd for the road.

No! :mad:

JESUS CHRIST GIRL I'M NOT TRYING TO HARASS YOU JUST LET ME OUT OF THIS PLACE

AUUUUGHHH

Sell for money, I'm guessing.

I came this far because I assumed there'd be an exit somewhere!

:mad:

Wait... can this be?

SUNLIGHT! FREEDOM! SWEET RELIEF!

Also we missed a dungeon? Huh.

Look, just breathe deep, enjoy the fresh air, and be glad that you're not underground.

Enemy trainers are clearly stepping up their game.

:j: I wish there were pink Pokemon with a floral pattern!

A jolly Hiker.

Just kidding.

GOD loving drat IT JUST LET ME GET TO TOWN AND AWAY FROM FREAKS AND PERVERTS

Cubes. Bones. Actually I don't see any cubes, come to think of it.

This happens.

We have a Mankey Mk. II!

I loathe you on principle, you creep.

Wait, "pig Pokemon?" Manapepig? Pigmanape?

oh whatever just let me go

Civilization. Thank god.

So this was actually pretty eventful - we captured three new Pokemon, had two more evolve, received a magic rock that we're never gonna use - but still, it's a cave with two featureless paths on either side. Meh. Anyway, we'll see what's in Lavender next time.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I was following this thread last year but stopped when it appeared to die off. It's nice to see it's still going, even under Toxx conditions. Congrats on your Gyarados! It's really good, and still hits really hard and fast to this day, even in the newest games.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

It's also certified cool as heck.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I think there is like exactly 3 situations across all the game where you don't want a pokemon to evolve so that dude is extremely full of it.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

If that Everstone was an Eviolite I'd be way more interested in it. You know, that item that first appeared in Black and White.

The word "Cosplay" was apparently coined in the mid 80s, so cosplay was absolutely a thing in 2003. Hell, it would have been a thing in 1998 when the games came out in America. More broadly nerds have been dressing up as fictional characters for roughly forever, but in terms of anime dweebs the term and the practice really started hitting it off in the late 90s. Going full circle the late 90s is about when you had a new generation of people who got their tickets to the ADTRW using Pokemon as a gateway drug.

Also, since you quoted the girl who wants a pink pokemon with a floral pattern I'm legally obligated to post this picture.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

As a kid, I thought my sister was being stupid when she insisted on raising everything equally including Magikarp. Then Gyarados ended up carrying my team through the Elite Four.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
You're going to run into some spoooooooky Pokémon. Name them 2spooky4u.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

Seyser Koze posted:

Wait, "pig Pokemon?" Manapepig? Pigmanape?

This is actually an example of a weird quirk with these versions. Every Pokemon has a classification listed under their species name in the Pokedex. Charmander is the "Lizard Pokemon", Pidgey is the "Tiny Bird Pokemon", Pikachu is the "Mouse Pokemon", etc. For some strange reason FireRed and LeafGreen only ever displayed the first word of a Pokemon's classification in the Pokedex. Primeape is the "Pig Monkey Pokemon" but the word 'Monkey' got cut off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Yeah, that's the appropriate response to the Rock Tunnel slog.