Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Lindelof wrote himself into a corner and personally I don't think he was able to get out of it.

That is every Lindelof show.

I like how they built a device that could contain a god like being that was able to be foiled by liquid easily seeping in. Maybe seal that poo poo up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007
So is everyone just going to ignore how they said the Tulsa Massacre was actually a Cyclops plot? I was down for weird mesmerism stuff but gently caress them for turning real historical events into lovely comic book conspiracy stuff.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The squid hail could rip through flesh and bone as well as the $400 billion doomsday clock. But it couldn't penetrate some car sheet metal.

Skitz
Apr 11, 2003

Your mommy kills animals! I bet you didn't know that.
Was not exactly expecting the show to end with Angela contracting salmonella and then falling into the pool, but it worked. Good ep, good finale, good show.

I'm still a little hazy on that whole agency vs free will thing though.

Enjoy your loving cake, y'all.

Edit:

Skitz posted:

Y'all are gonna be real disappointed when there's no Silver Squirter in the finale.

Skitz fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Dec 16, 2019

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Another person that kinda felt like the show fell apart once Manhattan came into play. I was pleasantly surprised by it up through the Hooded Justice episode.

Also, yeah, lol @ "everyone and everything within five blocks is going to be wrecked!" only for Angela to stroll down to the intact theater while Red Scare and the pirate lady are just fine taking in Trieu's daughtermother

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
overall a lot better than i thought it was going to be but nowhere near as good as i thought it was going to be after the second episode

i'm most angry about the lack of lube man: origins: awakenings and that loving elephant being there just to be weird and invite speculation

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Those last 3 episodes really lost it for me, though I really liked everything up until them.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
It is 1987 and I am reading the comic "Watchmen" for the first of very many times. I marvel at its many details playing off each other, double and triple meanings, wide use of clock/watchmaker metaphors, etc.

It is 2019 and I suddenly realize that the title "Watchmen" is itself a clock pun. gently caress YOU ALAN MOORE.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.
Well, I had fun.

I guessed right on many things, but there were still surprises.

Visually stunning throughout with truly excellent music.

Great cast. Shout out to Jeremy Irons, you my Ozymandias now dawg.

Hooded Justice is the greatest retcon ever, hands down.

Watchmen Season One: Your Arms Are Too Short To Box With God is now closed.

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.
It's really simple.

The racial themes and issues were the central throughline for the series, and as Lindelof said himself the reason he started this whole thing up. When the show focused on that, it was good.

Everything else in this show was tacked on to justify a season arc and have a big bad to fight and resolve. All that stuff was bad (or at the very least, didn't rise to the level of the comics or "prestige" tv).

A lot of entertaining episodes and some great ideas, but ultimately too worried about trying to Save the World, Again.

Probably would have been better without the late Dr. M turn. And Angela should absolutely have thrown the egg in the trash after having her little flashbacks, not actually try to eat it.

Canadian Surf Club fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Dec 16, 2019

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
My only complaint is that HBO didn't cough up a million dollars or so for the Beatles recording.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Lady Trieu turned into a final fantasy boss

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Niwrad posted:

The last few episodes were really bad and killed what was a really interesting premise.

Classic trap. Early episodes ask.questions and juxtapose apparently unlinked events in a way that suggests further questions in the audience's mind. Show keeps moving the goal posts on many of these questions, even as it appears to be answering some. Audience is compelled to watch.

But the questions and linkages the audience is making, potentially very complex ones, can't live up to the actual content of the show. Not only is the experience too individuated and personal, the show has no real way of justifying its choices.

As the final episodes roll around the show reveals itself to be less than what it is in many people's heads, and a great portion walk away unsatisfied. True of a lot of shows, yeah, but this is the kind of television that deliberately invokes that kind of relationship, and places it as a centrepiece of its narrative philosophy. Would the story work at all without the mysteries and teases, if the narrative had been upfront from the start?

My main complaint, though, is that the ending is a dodge. Who cares whether she gets powers, or even that she gets them. The real drama is what a pissed off black lady would do with all of God's gifts, and how other people have just got to deal with that. Cowards.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

I loved this show until the last two episodes when it took one of the most striking portrayals of the original Watchmen—the idea that if superheroes were real, they'd participate in war crimes and imperialism—and went on an unearned, two-episode redemption tour for Dr. Manhattan. What was that poo poo about? The show spends so much time on generational trauma and even references it with Lady Trieu when it implies Blake burned down her mom's village, but then it turns her into a one-note comic villain whose origins are only ever alluded to, instead of the space and respect that Angela and her grandfather's story receive.

Absolutely baffling.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
hey man, nice cum safe :)

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

My main complaint, though, is that the ending is a dodge. Who cares whether she gets powers, or even that she gets them. The real drama is what a pissed off black lady would do with all of God's gifts, and how other people have just got to deal with that. Cowards.

This is the thing I hate about the ending and a missed opportunity IMHO since I dont know what it was going for. Pissed of vietnamese lady getting powers = bad. Pissed off black lady getting powers = ?

It would have been worth questioning for example, whether or not it would actually be worth giving lady Triue benevolant dictator god powers to fix the world, by perhaps making her less of an unambiguous psychopath.

At the end where they're at karnak, they're basically making another "do we drop the squid(s) to save the world" decision like in 1985, except this time laurie and a survivor of the first attack are present at the decision. That ought to matter.

And as for Angela- at the end of the show when she picked up the egg I thought "ok she can either take this, or chuck it in the trash and renounce it, but either choice she makes I have no idea why shes making it, because the show hasn't really fleshed out that aspect of her yet"

massive spider fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Dec 16, 2019

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
i liked it when looking glass who witnessed a war crime and lived a life of paranoia due to it bonked the guy who did it on the head with a spanner

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

exmarx posted:

hey man, nice cum safe :)

My favorite Filter song

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This show is pretty drat bad compare to the worst season of The Leftovers.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Preem Palver posted:

So is everyone just going to ignore how they said the Tulsa Massacre was actually a Cyclops plot? I was down for weird mesmerism stuff but gently caress them for turning real historical events into lovely comic book conspiracy stuff.

isnt cyclops basically the KKK

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I do think they lost a lot of momentum as the series went on, the finale felt like an up-budgeted episode of Smallville

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

anyone else catch veidt describing redford as a 'cowboy actor', unknowingly repeating the words a racist newspaper editor he never met said 40 years ago? really makes you think. i'm so glad all these references are put in for us intellectuals

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

At the time Redford ran for president all the press would have been saying the same thing though. Of any issues thats the least glaring.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Preem Palver posted:

Nobody sees this as an issue since Cyclops is a stand in for white supremacy. Why do you keep trying to push this?

On another note, the whole show is basically a build up to "what if God was a black woman?"

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

like pretty sure the kkk was involved in tulsa massacre

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax
Legitimately laughing out loud at you idiots for ignoring every single person outside of this echo chamber warning you this was going to lead to a hilariously bad, ill-plotted and borderline nonsensical finale that just peters out in the exact same way everything associated with Lindelof ever has and ever will.

Good job, you played yourselves.

Now excuse me while I lube myself up and run into a manhole to avoid this thread and reveling in it never being mentioned again.

Tehran 1979 fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Dec 16, 2019

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
After not being too hot on last week's episode I lowered my expectations a bit for the finale and ended up enjoying it. I think it brought all of the main plot elements to a satisfying conclusion, even if I agree that some of the nitpicks have merit and I still have issues with the way that Jon was integrated into the story.

That being said, the only thing I was really disappointed by this episode is that it all felt very small. Like, a few blocks in Oklahoma getting dinged up with some frozen squids isn't really the equivalent of a giant psychic squid being dropped into Manhattan and killing 3 million people, changing the entire world's geopolitics, and a terrific subversion of tired superhero tropes as in the original. I actually enjoyed that Trieu's years-long plan was taken down by some quick improvising on Adrian's part, but it also spoke to Trieu's criticism of Veidt just doing the same thing over again but smaller. Maybe the point is that it's a more personal story about an individual, but it felt way less satisfying just having everything take place in a small room with a handful of people and a couple of city blocks. I definitely felt like the Millennium Clock was leading up to some grand, world-changing moment and even though we got something more focused it didn't feel like some great subversion of expectations. Just a bit of a letdown.

e: Also, Laurie should have shot Adrian, not arrested him. Would've been great to see that come full-circle.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Dec 16, 2019

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Tehran 1979 posted:

Legitimately laughing out loud at you idiots for ignoring every single person outside of this echo chamber warning you this was going to lead to a hilariously bad, ill-plotted and borderline nonsensical finale that just peters out in the exact same way everything associated with Lindelof ever has and ever will.

Good job, you played yourselves.

Now excuse me while I lube myself up and run into a manhole to avoid this thread and reveling in it never being mentioned again.

I did not know this, but holy gently caress I wish I did because then I could have skipped the finale and wrote my own ending in my head. I actually enjoyed every episode before this one, A God Walks Into Abar was the first episode I saw and I enjoyed it well enough despite its warts so I went back and watched the first seven. Then this finale happened and I'm loving pissed because it was so bad it retroactively made me angry at liking the first seven. Which I just realized might be a Dr. Manhattan metaphor and now I'm angry about that too.

The stuff with HJ was good, the original concept presented of exploring racism in America and the police state was good, the Veidt side-stuff was good. Then this episode took a poo poo so hard it broke the bowl.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Farm Frenzy posted:

anyone else catch veidt describing redford as a 'cowboy actor', unknowingly repeating the words a racist newspaper editor he never met said 40 years ago? really makes you think. i'm so glad all these references are put in for us intellectuals

This is a weird nitpick of a joke about America electing Ronald Reagan

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Blotto_Otter posted:

This is a weird nitpick of a joke about America electing Ronald Reagan

so many layers!!! holy poo poo!!!

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Trieu could have been completely removed from the show. The senator was the better villain. Still enjoyed the show though.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
did that lady even thaw out the cum?

That’s gotta be uncomfortable.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Raccooon posted:

Trieu could have been completely removed from the show. The senator was the better villain. Still enjoyed the show though.

The gag with him melting himself with radiation was worth it for the redundancy IMO

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

In Lindelof’s post-mortem interview with Sepinwall, he indicated that the original Cyclops plot was to put both the 7K and cops in masks that secretly had Mesmer technology embedded within such that Keene or whoever could mind control them into doing whatever they wanted. Trieu was originally the only one with the Manhattan Transferal plan. At some point in development (perhaps after the first couple of episodes were completed?) they decided to drop the Mesmer plot and have Cyclops going after Manhattan as well. I think leaving it as it was would help eliminate a lot of the complaints I’m seeing from folks that the set up from the first couple of episodes ultimately didn’t matter, because in the end the creators determined it didn’t either.

Also, one other quote that stood out was that one of the guiding lights they took from the comic was starting as a gritty noir murder mystery and ending with bat-poo poo crazy sci-fi shenanigans. Seems most detractors would have preferred it stayed the former all the way through.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

My general feel as someone who was on board with it and even defending/pushing for it is that the first half of the series was generally pretty good and some of the best TV this year. Exploring the themes of white supremacism and the police state through the lens of superheroes and general hero worship was pretty good and worthwhile.

Where the show lost me is when Doctor Manhattan become less window dressing and more an actual character and the thesis of the show took a hard right turn on the rumination of what it means to be a God and to wield supreme power. Neither Adrian/Trieu's ego-centric techno fascism is the right way, nor is Doctor M's ineffectual detachment. "He could have done so much more," several different characters refrain in the last episode. Angela might be a better Superman because...? I'm not sure the text supports the theory she might be better, although the last episode seems like it operates around the idea of how to build a better superman.

My hottest take? I'm not sure you need the license of Watchmen to make this show. When it was focused with a more narrow scope in the beginning it was arguably more(?) successful. When the psychic squids and all the other comic elements had to be resolved it became less impactful and lost the thread a bit.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I think it is weird that they presented Adrian gleefully murdering his daughter and recreating the Tulsa Massacre (5 square blocks of gatling gun fire?) as a good thing, but then again I wanted Trieu to win so what do I know

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
the adrian veidt in this show was the best thing ever and id watch a show of jeremy irons hamming it up being a weird narcissist genius

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Harlock posted:

My hottest take? I'm not sure you need the license of Watchmen to make this show. When it was focused with a more narrow scope in the beginning it was arguably more(?) successful. When the psychic squids and all the other comic elements had to be resolved it became less impactful and lost the thread a bit.

Agreed.

I expected to come into this thread and see universal hatred. Disappointed. This show steadily declined each and every episode. Culminating in a clusterfuck of a finale that hand-waved away every morsel of interest that was left. Not to mention it poo poo on the entire message of the source material.

I actually regret turning friends onto this show after I'd seen the first couple of episodes. I owe a handful of people eight hours of their life back.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Fly Ricky posted:

Agreed.

I expected to come into this thread and see universal hatred. Disappointed. This show steadily declined each and every episode. Culminating in a clusterfuck of a finale that hand-waved away every morsel of interest that was left. Not to mention it poo poo on the entire message of the source material.

I actually regret turning friends onto this show after I'd seen the first couple of episodes. I owe a handful of people eight hours of their life back.

I started posting in this thread after the second episode and kept saying I think it was bad but kept getting yelled at lol. Way back in October. I tried to warn everyone I really did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
struggling to imagine anything more emblematic of modern broke-brained lib politics than a middle aged white man showrunner turning dr. m into a POC and then into a WOC lmao.