Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

*louder* Age of Decadence is that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
one thing I thought about a very long time ago was something like a novel where the plot is generated depending on a character you create at the start of the book. So there would be no interaction after creation, no dialogue choices, no success checks, just reading.

aod is mostly lovely savescumming after choosing all possible options and hoarding skill points.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

quote:

one thing I thought about a very long time ago was something like a novel where the plot is generated depending on a character you create at the start of the book. So there would be no interaction after creation, no dialogue choices, no success checks, just reading.
Isn't that basically what Dwarf Fortress' legend mode does?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Chev posted:

That's the idea, though? If you remove everything but the character/party creation from a RPG, as suggested by the post I was relying to, it's likely not a RPG anymore by usual standards.

The idea was to automate battles and maybe dungeon delving at the maximum, not to take out everything except character/party creation. There's still strategical decision making involved.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
It looks like Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar got added to GOG recently, which may or may not be funny, based on whether or not Clevel said that it would be exclusive to Steam or whatever.

It's $7.49 right now, which is a far cry from the original price of $39.99 it originally sold at. I'm not saying you should buy (for all I know, it's still terrible), but I just found it amusing. The screenshots posted for aren't even cropped properly.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

*louder* Age of Decadence is that

Is Age of Decadance worth checking out. I've had it sitting on my Steam wishlist for a while, but thought it would be better to ask it was worth checking out.

I vaguely remember it being described in this thread or another thread a really difficult, grognard type of game, and that description is actually supported by the devs, who wrote a disclaimer for the game, and why you might not want to buy it.,

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Wasn't he the one who said he'd never offer his games at a discount? Like his brilliant plan was pre-orders get it cheap, people who buy it early enough after release would get it for more than the pre-order price, but less than the final price, and then it'd be 40 bucks forever? Or am I thinking of a different weird rear end grognard?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

Is Age of Decadance worth checking out. I've had it sitting on my Steam wishlist for a while, but thought it would be better to ask it was worth checking out.

It has a few alright ideas for its setting and a lot of branching, but on the other hand, it's also a tedious exercise into trying to find the specific builds that the developers think are okay for you depending on the faction you've chosen and, if you don't go for a combat kind of build, sort of watching the game play itself as a mediocre visual novel that's forgotten why the hell it even uses the isometric perspective in the first place.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Skwirl posted:

Wasn't he the one who said he'd never offer his games at a discount? Like his brilliant plan was pre-orders get it cheap, people who buy it early enough after release would get it for more than the pre-order price, but less than the final price, and then it'd be 40 bucks forever? Or am I thinking of a different weird rear end grognard?

No, that's him.

He's also racist... against homo sapiens (he believes he's descended from Neanderthals, or says he believes this, anyway), but also against non-whites (he definitely believes this), used to have a blog where he talked about such topics as that the universe was controlled by electrical charges (not gravity or nuclear force, just electricity and magnetism), that the speed of light wasn't actually a thing, and that television's purpose is to destroy civilization by reprogramming the women and driving men to suicide in despair, and develops a computer OS just for underground shelters.

Cleve is an extremely weird-rear end grognard by the standards of weird-rear end grognards, and that's saying something. I wouldn't give him money myself.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
The Neanderthal thing isn't just him, a bunch of white supremacists are into that poo poo for some reason.

Most of them don't code their own bunkerOS.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Prism posted:

No, that's him.

He's also racist... against homo sapiens (he believes he's descended from Neanderthals, or says he believes this, anyway), but also against non-whites (he definitely believes this), used to have a blog where he talked about such topics as that the universe was controlled by electrical charges (not gravity or nuclear force, just electricity and magnetism), that the speed of light wasn't actually a thing, and that television's purpose is to destroy civilization by reprogramming the women and driving men to suicide in despair, and develops a computer OS just for underground shelters.

Cleve is an extremely weird-rear end grognard by the standards of weird-rear end grognards, and that's saying something. I wouldn't give him money myself.

So happy his game is available for 7.49, definitely not buying it though.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Was this the game with the deafening buzzing insects?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Prism posted:

No, that's him.

So basically, he's Alex Jones, if Alex Jones spent twenty years making a Wizardry fan game.

Hel posted:

Was this the game with the deafening buzzing insects?

Yep.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

90s Cringe Rock posted:

The Neanderthal thing isn't just him, a bunch of white supremacists are into that poo poo for some reason.

Most of them don't code their own bunkerOS.

It was essentially impossible to tell whether his first patch notes were a parody of someone who believed he was a Neanderthal or someone who actually believed it. I felt like I was on firmer ground spotting the rest of the racism in other posts.

Those are clearly ?HUMMINGBIRDS?.

Prism fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Dec 15, 2019

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

The trailer is a masterpiece

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E57guhizdM

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

This is a game that was released Anno Domini Two Thousand Twenty Seventeen.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Prism posted:

Those are clearly ?HUMMINGBIRDS?.

Someone obviously didn't take the Animal Identification skill.

And that someone was Cleve.

I watched that trailer and what I love is that is lists features like 'New Monster Animations!' 'New Location Cutscenes!' 'Quest Journal!' 'Multiple GUI Themes!', and '8-bit Sound Effects!', but the trailer itself doesn't actually show any of that off.

It's also laughable that it bills itself as "Only worthy successor to Wizardy 7."

Amusingly, someone down in the comments asks, "But is it better than Stones of Arnhem?", to which someone replied "YES!"

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 15, 2019

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

I'm listening on my phone but I'm pretty sure that song is so blatant a ripoff that it's copyright infringement lol

Wowee wow

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

precision posted:

I'm listening on my phone but I'm pretty sure that song is so blatant a ripoff that it's copyright infringement lol

Wowee wow

A ripoff of what?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Max Wilco posted:

A ripoff of what?

The Final Fantasy theme?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

precision posted:

The Final Fantasy theme?

:confused: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqmDtgz0o1c Doesn't sound like the Final Fantasy theme.

Sound more similar the theme to Quest for Glory (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T__B3Ef7Ro), but even then, it's still a different tune.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

:confused: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqmDtgz0o1c Doesn't sound like the Final Fantasy theme.

Sound more similar the theme to Quest for Glory (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T__B3Ef7Ro), but even then, it's still a different tune.

It does kinda sound like it's about to burst into the NES version at any time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9J91NDX_HI

But, yeah it doesn't.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

It's also laughable that it bills itself as "Only worthy successor to Wizardy 7."

I haven't played any Wizardry games, but isn't there a Wizardry 8 that's largely respected by the people who played Wizardry 7?

Does it let you import your Wizardry 7 characters?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Skwirl posted:

I haven't played any Wizardry games, but isn't there a Wizardry 8 that's largely respected by the people who played Wizardry 7?

It's important to remember that Cleve is marketing to an imagined audience that loathes that game and that agrees with him that Sir-Tech is doodoo. The man has clearly worked with them in the past and has developed a really, really deep feud with the members of the team and especially a few of them that would go on to have successful game design careers like Brenda Romero. If I recall correctly, at one point he started spamming the Kickstarter comments of one project she was involved in, to the point where they had to start to take action.

However, in spite of the fact that the man is clearly a delusional goblin, he wasn't lying when he talked about the penis monsters, so I guess even a broken clock can be right twice a day.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Skwirl posted:

Does it let you import your Wizardry 7 characters?

Yes there is and yes it does, and also Wizardry 8 rules and is the best.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Prism posted:

(he believes he's descended from Neanderthals, or says he believes this, anyway),
Most of us are. We interbred to the point where the reason Neanderthals don't exist anymore is because the were folded into the larger human species. The average person has about 10% Neanderthal DNA.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Cardiovorax posted:

Most of us are. We interbred to the point where the reason Neanderthals don't exist anymore is because the were folded into the larger human species. The average person has about 10% Neanderthal DNA.

From memory I think Cleve actually believes he is a neanderthal, not descended from one.

And that this means he's got a bigger brain or something.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Chairchucker posted:

From memory I think Cleve actually believes he is a neanderthal, not descended from one.

Yeah, I figured it would be something stupid like that. I just find this an interesting little fact and I enjoy sharing it. It always amazes people to hear it, it's not widely known.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Chairchucker posted:

Even if he has a bigger brain, among Humans this doesn't mean anything. Studies have shown the average Russian has a heavier brain than the average German, but this fact doesn't make Russians inhumanly smart. Their brains work the same like everyone elses.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It doesn't mean anything anywhere, really. Whales have bigger brains than humans by a factor of eight, but I'm not seeing it do them any good.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Cardiovorax posted:

It doesn't mean anything anywhere, really. Whales have bigger brains than humans by a factor of eight, but I'm not seeing it do them any good.
They do play a key part in Japanese scientific research.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
And Ravens have tiny brains, yet are smarter than cats.

Brain size comparisons are mostly useless, because most of the brain mass is Neuroglia, some sort of inert support tissue.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

That's why modern neuroscience puts it down to something called the encephalization quotient, in case anyone cares.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'm probably oversimplifying, but wasn't one of the reasons Neanderthals died out was because of how their shoulders were constructed they couldn't throw over hand? So in any conflict Homo Sapiens could just keep their distance and throw poo poo at them?

Is he pretending to be a Neanderthal because he can't throw a ball?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That sounds highly unlikely, especially since there was not much conflict. And since both populations were mixing, it seems likely most conflicts would have had Human ball throwers on their side, anyway

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I'm pretty sure it's because the neanderthals made worse video games.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

It's important to remember that Cleve is marketing to an imagined audience that loathes that game and that agrees with him that Sir-Tech is doodoo. The man has clearly worked with them in the past and has developed a really, really deep feud with the members of the team and especially a few of them that would go on to have successful game design careers like Brenda Romero. If I recall correctly, at one point he started spamming the Kickstarter comments of one project she was involved in, to the point where they had to start to take action.

However, in spite of the fact that the man is clearly a delusional goblin, he wasn't lying when he talked about the penis monsters, so I guess even a broken clock can be right twice a day.
He did work at Sir-Tech, yeah - theres a mine foreman NPC in JA2 that's a very non-loving parody of him.

But yeah, it turned out absolutely everything he claimed about Stones of Arnhelm was completely true, which is hilarious and the perfect capstone to that whole bizarre saga.

On the neanderthal thing, he believes this is what people with Asperger's really have going on. I think he insists it's completely unrelated to autism, can't quite remember. It still requires a catalyst to unleash the full force of your neanderthal brain power, though, which for him was drinking drain cleaner as a child and his superior senses/nervous system overclocking to save his life. I honestly don't know if that particular story was him taking the piss, it's... difficult to tell.

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Dec 16, 2019

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

A good argument for the positive aspects of forums no longer really being a thing is that I joined RPGCodex when I was 15 and now have these factoids in my head forever instead of, say, learning a second language

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Skwirl posted:

I'm probably oversimplifying, but wasn't one of the reasons Neanderthals died out was because of how their shoulders were constructed they couldn't throw over hand? So in any conflict Homo Sapiens could just keep their distance and throw poo poo at them?

Is he pretending to be a Neanderthal because he can't throw a ball?
No, it's pretty much literally because we mated them out of existence. The fact that modern humans are also more physically able in other ways is just why they were folded into our species rather than we into theirs. A difference in relative numbers caused by greater fitness for the group hunting lifestyle. There was never enough conflict for that to matter except between maybe the occasional individuals.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Max Wilco posted:

A ripoff of what?

It seems to be the iconic part of the dragon quest overture, which is indeed rather similar, at around 25 secs in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waH3uNlwMo4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Okay, we mated them out of existence instead of committing genocide, but was I right about the throwing overhand thing?

I'm trying to make a joke about Cleve not being able to play sports.