Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unnoticed
Nov 29, 2005

That's odd...
I see, so like the Dems can say they want to call someone and he can agree to do it but the GOP might decide to overrule it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
oh poo poo, did we ever get those pizzazz levels up?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/FoxNewsSunday/status/1206222424590704640
https://twitter.com/FoxNewsSunday/status/1206222350506692609

fox's polling outfit is totally legit and respectable and also looool

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
working hard, thank you!

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Fwiw, 538 lists both Fox news affiliated pollsters as A or B rated

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

oxsnard posted:

Fwiw, 538 lists both Fox news affiliated pollsters as A or B rated

oh yeah that wasn't a joke, fox consistently has good polls that contradict their own narratives

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Oh ok was hard to tell what you were getting at based on how you structured your post

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Hey eke out, how are you feeling about the senate now? Do you still think there are the 5 or so senators who will insist on a real trial or has McConnell's nee public messaging changed your mind?

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
E:Eh this is the wrong thread for this

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

oxsnard posted:

Hey eke out, how are you feeling about the senate now? Do you still think there are the 5 or so senators who will insist on a real trial or has McConnell's nee public messaging changed your mind?

i think McConnell and Graham and the rest of leadership clearly stating, for all to hear, that they want a sham process actively hurts their chances of getting a sham process. it makes it harder to get to 50/51 on any vote on a rules change, which will be necessary to actually have a sham process (assuming for the sake of argument that they can do it correctly and such a vote would not be filibusterable; they will fail any filibusterable vote by default unless they've explicitly agreed to neutral rules with dems)

impeachment polling continues to suggest that things have been basically unchanged over the past few weeks, like 49% +/- 3 of americans support removal and anyone in a purple state remains in an absolute nightmare position.

the only polls I've seen directly about problem are for Susan Collins, but for her there's some clear polls showing that no matter which way she votes it hurts her. i'd strongly suspect similar things are true for at least 2-3 other people. it's just none of those people are talking to the media because they are aware of how bad this looks for them, so wishcasting by the right end of the senate republicans has dominated the media narrative

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

eke out posted:

i think McConnell and Graham and the rest of leadership clearly stating, for all to hear, that they want a sham process actively hurts their chances of getting a sham process.

Thanks for the insight. So what do you make of this then? McConnell is many things, but he's no idiot. Is he doing this to bolster his own reelection chances?

I'm with you on it hurting chances for a sham trial which is why I'm wondering if there's some other strategy here or if they're just batting down the hatches and trying to make the purple state Republicans realize it's a lost cause. Maybe hope it all blows over heading into the election

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

oxsnard posted:

Thanks for the insight. So what do you make of this then? McConnell is many things, but he's no idiot. Is he doing this to bolster his own reelection chances?

I'm with you on it hurting chances for a sham trial which is why I'm wondering if there's some other strategy here or if they're just batting down the hatches and trying to make the purple state Republicans realize it's a lost cause. Maybe hope it all blows over heading into the election

yeah i dunno, it's good red meat for their base no doubt, but i have no good explanation for why McConnell appears to think it's a good idea. the easiest answer is he just stupidly said the thing he actually thinks and not the thing that helps his party -- maybe there's some more complicated strategic explanation but idk, it's the 2019 republican party and i wouldn't bet on it

Lindsey's a lot easier: his race appears closer than he's comfortable with, and he needs to burnish his True Trump Defender Conservative credentials to make sure turnout is good for him in a state Trump will win by default even if republicans don't turn out

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

eke out posted:

https://twitter.com/FoxNewsSunday/status/1206222350506692609

fox's polling outfit is totally legit and respectable and also looool

Who are the people who want him impeached but not removed? :psyduck:

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
My tinfoil self wants to believe that Mitch knows a real Senate trial is nearly as bad as just kicking the fucker out so you have a binary choice: sham trial and hope you survive or get wiped out in 2020, in that the hit from trial revelations is worse than the hit for making the process a mockery

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Ither posted:

Who are the people who want him impeached but not removed? :psyduck:

republicans who are Very Concerned about this Abuse of Power but don't think that it's a Real Crime That Counts For Impeachment Purposes or some nonsense along those lines. soft nevertrumper types that frown on his lack of decorum but ultimately hate democrats more

oxsnard posted:

My tinfoil self wants to believe that Mitch knows a real Senate trial is nearly as bad as just kicking the fucker out so you have a binary choice: sham trial and hope you survive or get wiped out in 2020, in that the hit from trial revelations is worse than the hit for making the process a mockery

this is a reasonable point. a real trial means Donald Trump throwing a fit on twitter when Roberts tells him he can't call Hunter Biden and Joe Biden and Adam Schiff, and the full senate having to vote down motions to overrule Roberts on these things, and trump declaring any republican that votes against him a traitor and carrying that grudge through the election.

it's going to be an insane mess that trump makes so much worse for them, so you might have the right explanation there

eke out fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 15, 2019

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The obvious solution is to call @Jack in to hellban Trump's personal twitter account ahead of announcing SHOCKING NEW REVELATIONS that force the GOP to conduct the most honest, transparent impeachment in the history of ever, and then have Pence throw Trump under the bus with some poo poo like "I have become aware of a gross misuse of power by the President and must testify against him for the good of the constitution" and have hours of "gosh, I can't believe he lied to all of us like that wow".

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

The obvious solution is to call @Jack in to hellban Trump's personal twitter account ahead of announcing SHOCKING NEW REVELATIONS that force the GOP to conduct the most honest, transparent impeachment in the history of ever, and then have Pence throw Trump under the bus with some poo poo like "I have become aware of a gross misuse of power by the President and must testify against him for the good of the constitution" and have hours of "gosh, I can't believe he lied to all of us like that wow".

His base would tear them to shreds. You forget what happened to the old Republican politicians during Obama?

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

KillHour posted:

His base would tear them to shreds. You forget what happened to the old Republican politicians during Obama?

75% of them would rally behind the party but the republican party is a house of cards based on marginal voting advantages in districts with unequal representation by population. So yeah even a 10% defection rate would spell doom

LOL

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Forget the general, I mean the primaries. They'd be replaced by even more insane people.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

KillHour posted:

Forget the general, I mean the primaries. They'd be replaced by even more insane people.
Take away his Twitter and have Fox memoryhole him like Dubya. His base are a bunch of loons anyway and you'll have Loomer-esque trash trying to primary Mich McConnell.

They can shift over to "Dems are FURIOUS President Pence celebrates CHRISTMAS" poo poo after to distract everyone with shiny things.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/rachaelmbade/status/1206282500303134727

this is a very good idea, it's basically the perfect situation for it, since Amash completely agrees with them on everything related to impeachment (and nothing else) and is already spending most of his time calling republicans hypocrites

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

eke out posted:

republicans who are Very Concerned about this Abuse of Power but don't think that it's a Real Crime That Counts For Impeachment Purposes or some nonsense along those lines. soft nevertrumper types that frown on his lack of decorum but ultimately hate democrats more

Also people on the left who think Trump being impeached but walking will make the biggest bloodbath for the GOP in November.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

oxsnard posted:

y'all do realize that the senate is going to acquit, the SC is going to force Trump to release financial records and then those records are still not going to get released? It's because there is no repercussion for it as the Senate and DOJ are fully under trump's control

I mean at that point we have a full on constitutional crisis, so the question is if elections actually happen in 2020 after that.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Killer robot posted:

Also people on the left who think Trump being impeached but walking will make the biggest bloodbath for the GOP in November.

i think think they are right about that. id rather have him thrown out and its theoretically possible for him to get removed, but it sounds like its gonna be a circus no matter what happens. the GOP is possibly hosed either way and pence probably wouldn't win if he became president.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

so there's still a significant portion "undecided" people and we're still at around 50% impeach and remove?

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

I particularly enjoy that even applying the margin of error they give, it still comes out to a majority impeach and remove.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret

Kiranamos posted:

I particularly enjoy that even applying the margin of error they give, it still comes out to a majority impeach and remove.

plurality.

majority = >50%

plurality = biggest chunk

given 100 people:
if A has 30, B has 25, C has 5, and D has 40,
then D has plurality but not a majority.

if A and B join forces, the new groups would be
AB with 55, C with 5, and D with 40.

AB would have both a plurality and majority

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

I mean at that point we have a full on constitutional crisis, so the question is if elections actually happen in 2020 after that.

The GOP has already shown that they are more than okay with foreign government's interfering in our elections as long as it benefits them. I am very concerned about the 2020 election if Trump is acquitted and runs. Like, "Republican sanctioned vote system hacking" concerned".

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

I find it funny that "abused his power" gets the largest agreement on that poll, when you could try to wriggle off that hook about what constitutes "abuse," whereas he has flagrantly and repeatedly obstructed congress by blocking people from responding to congressional subpoenas.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

It's all in the name. You don't have to be paying much attention to see the varied and pervasive ways that Trump has been abusing his power, even if those specific abuses aren't necessarily included in the article. Obstruction of Congress, on the other hand, requires at least a little bit of attention to understand.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Akumu posted:

I find it funny that "abused his power" gets the largest agreement on that poll, when you could try to wriggle off that hook about what constitutes "abuse," whereas he has flagrantly and repeatedly obstructed congress by blocking people from responding to congressional subpoenas.

It also has the highest "no" percentage. Basically, people are unsure about the actual charges but are more sure about how feel about Trump in general.

Also, I'm the 1% of people who think Trump definitely committed bribery while in office but also thinks he didn't abuse his power.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

KillHour posted:

Also, I'm the 1% of people who think Trump definitely committed bribery while in office but also thinks he didn't abuse his power.

Seems Mulvaney convinced somebody with his "get over it" talk

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Might also be people who hate Trump but think the best outcome is to convict but leave him in office through the election instead of elevating Pence?

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

I'm sorry if this has been asked and answered before but Fox as a whole is pretty biased towards the right, I think we can agree on that. How is their polling considered super accurate? Is it because Murdoch et al have no control over that branch? The same with some of fox news' employees who push back against the narrative.

Is it al to remove the idea of bias?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

So what fresh hell are we looking forward to this week?

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

eke out posted:

https://twitter.com/rachaelmbade/status/1206282500303134727

this is a very good idea, it's basically the perfect situation for it, since Amash completely agrees with them on everything related to impeachment (and nothing else) and is already spending most of his time calling republicans hypocrites

Yeah I also like this idea. I don't see an obvious downside to it.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/joshgerstein/status/1206562797091524610

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

An insane mind posted:

I'm sorry if this has been asked and answered before but Fox as a whole is pretty biased towards the right, I think we can agree on that. How is their polling considered super accurate? Is it because Murdoch et al have no control over that branch? The same with some of fox news' employees who push back against the narrative.

The polling is not done by Fox itself. They contract it out to a reputable firm.

I think it's a deliberate part of them pretending to be a legitimate news operation. They're actually OK on actual news, but that's only about 2% of what they broadcast. They make sure their opinion pieces and outright propaganda are indistinguishable from proper news.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

An insane mind posted:

It's so they can point at their accurate polling when they do their "just an opinion and definitely not propaganda" shtick to verify their "legitimacy".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1206585733118660609

justsecurity got a bunch of attorneys to do summaries about criminal liability of trump for obstruction, extortion, FCPA, etc and posted them all in one extremely-thorough summary.

also the intro by Weissman about standards of proof and the white house's refusal to allow witnesses is interesting