Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

fullroundaction posted:

yes and

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I wish I had your confidence

maybe it is something even wackier because i looked at reddit and it appears basically every clock in the new world is stuck at 11:16 (also it's, of course, 5/9 and a 5.9 earthquake happened that day)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
https://twitter.com/1shoedpunk/status/1206428913364340741

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I don't think it's a coincidence that the E Corp loop would be the 5th instance/loop and that E Elliot had 4 other people in his head. I'm guessing that makes us the prime?

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Me before the episode: "Really hope they don't do a hard sci-fi turn here, I think I'll lose interest in the show."
Me after the episode: "More. Give me more. Now. :stare:"

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.
Just want to point out that at least from what we've seen this episode, whiterose is literally playing god without permission.

Also that even in an engineered too-perfect-for-everyone world, Ollie is still a hyper douchebag.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I am sickened that I must wait 7 days to find out what happens on Mister Robbit.

Damnit. DAMNIT.

IdealFlaws
Aug 23, 2005

Modus Pwnens posted:

I don't think it's a coincidence that the E Corp loop would be the 5th instance/loop and that E Elliot had 4 other people in his head. I'm guessing that makes us the prime?

There's a theory on Reddit that sounds very possible to me and it blew my mind. It's saying F Corp could be the sixth iteration in a loop of our Elliot and alt-Elliot switching places

https://www.reddit.com/r/MrRobot/comments/ebaenj/endgame_theory/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

IdealFlaws fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Dec 16, 2019

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Modus Pwnens posted:

And our name is... Alliot Einstein :psypop:

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4gqeGIWzfE

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Elliot should know to never use articles when playing text adventures. What a blunder.

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.

T-man posted:

And our name is... Alliot Einstein :psypop:

To be fair let's call them Elliot A and Elliot 1.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
My assumption is that this is the third personality they've been alluding to. Elliot has created characters in his head. So why not go a step further and also let him create entire worlds inside his head? Granted, with some glitches here and there at times, with the real world bleeding through. Maybe he's reliving his perfect life here over and over? The fact that the dream sequence in the first season also had them getting married to Angela enforced this idea more for me.

The final scene was him meeting with this third personality.

Will have to see where this goes. I'm really excited, this has been an excellent series, and I'm really wondering how/if everything will go together in the end.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

IdealFlaws posted:

There's a theory on Reddit that sounds very possible to me and it blew my mind. It's saying F Corp could be the sixth iteration in a loop of our Elliot and alt-Elliot switching places

https://www.reddit.com/r/MrRobot/comments/ebaenj/endgame_theory/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

This part got me all hosed up.

And this

cochise fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Dec 16, 2019

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
What kind of pills did Alt-Elliott take at the beginning of that scene in the new world? Were those genuinely headache pills or something else?

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Shitenshi posted:

What kind of pills did Alt-Elliott take at the beginning of that scene in the new world? Were those genuinely headache pills or something else?

Looked like advil.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

IdealFlaws posted:

I feel like it would be in incredibly poor taste to have the portrayal of mental illness in this show turn out to be just a sci-fi thing.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Shitenshi posted:

Two ibuprofen, pretty standard for headaches

Past Tense Ragu
Oct 17, 2005

PunkBoy posted:

I feel like it would be in incredibly poor taste to have the portrayal of mental illness in this show turn out to be just a sci-fi thing.

Why? Does that actually diminish mental illness to you? Will audiences watch the show and assume depression is caused by parallel universes and it should be taken out of the DSM?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

eke out posted:

no writer on this show is that dumb

PunkBoy posted:

Me before the episode: "Really hope they don't do a hard sci-fi turn here, I think I'll lose interest in the show."
Me after the episode: "More. Give me more. Now. :stare:"
I was all set to be super schadenfreudey over the fact I was right that some crazy-rear end poo poo is going on despite everyone insisting there's no way, but I'm happier that people who were super against this show going sci-fi are, instead, enjoying it.

I'm quite happy with where this went! I'll never be happy with the overall construction of this entire series. 2.5 seasons worth of the show could have been crunched down into 1 season easily. I also was extremely against the show "becoming Lost" as I think mystery box shows are stupid as gently caress. Even Damon Lindelof managed to make the Watchmen show end with only 1 brief, useless mystery. (Watchmen HBO spoilers I'm not talking about Angela walking on water, which she does, as explained by Doc Man in last week's episode, so no need to talk about that. It's the weird fact that Will wasn't disturbed by heat.) However, here we are, alternate dimension, just like Lost, and it's exactly what I wanted. This is what convinces me the Dark Army is real. This is what convinces me about Angela. This... is what we should have seen 2 years ago.

I'm glad it's finally ending. This was a solid payoff. I hope the finale makes it all worth it!

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Dec 17, 2019

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I haven’t finished the episode, but Elliot’s speech might have just fixed me. I’ve been in a real bad place. It caused all the things to click in my head.

Also I graduated from the same school as BD Wong so... hell yeah?!

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
^^^Yeah dude, Elliot's speech about continuing on because people love him even though he hates most people got me right in the feels.

Past Tense Ragu posted:

Why? Does that actually diminish mental illness to you? Will audiences watch the show and assume depression is caused by parallel universes and it should be taken out of the DSM?
Because representation is important, and mental illness was portrayed realistically and respectfully. To use another form of representation: imagine if it was suddenly revealed that Whiterose wasn't actually trans but it was MAGIC that swapped her gender. People who that issue is very important to might balk at that.

cochise posted:

What if this other Elliot is the third personality that was bleeding through at times? Explains some things like not realizing who Darlene was.
Yeah, I'm going with this theory until I hear otherwise from the show. Elliot didn't jump to an alternate universe; he's inside his head confronting his 3rd personality, Idealized Elliot. If they can give Elliot extended surreal dream sequences, hallucinations where he follows the kid version of himself, shares a body with Idealized Dead Dad, and can dedicate half an episode to an ALF parody, they can do this poo poo too.

My only gripe is that in the 2nd playthrough of eXit, Elliot's text command for the room with the barrel really should've been "HELLO FRIEND". It would've been perfect.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Dec 16, 2019

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
He did it, the mad man. The show continues to impress and I don't care how absurd it gets now that all other characters are wrapped up

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
I thought I would get answers, but now I just have more questions. Esmail! :argh:

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Fartington Butts posted:

I haven’t finished the episode, but Elliot’s speech might have just fixed me. I’ve been in a real bad place. It caused all the things to click in my head.

Also I graduated from the same school as BD Wong so... hell yeah?!

:glomp:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Past Tense Ragu posted:

sticklefifer posted:

Because representation is important, and mental illness was portrayed realistically and respectfully. To use another form of representation: imagine if it was suddenly revealed that Whiterose wasn't actually trans but it was MAGIC that swapped her gender. People who that issue is very important to might balk at that.

Yeah, this. It would be such a tacky move after it was so careful to be realistic.

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.
I’m so glad we got to see sandwich man in the tyvek suit one more time.

Gravastars
Sep 9, 2011

So I guess they broke with the 4xx HTTP status codes for episode titles?

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

IdealFlaws posted:

This is super on point, and I don’t care if I “ruined” the ending of this turns out to be true. I need to go rewatch the whole series

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I just want to say I've never felt more unease in my life watching a TV show as I did for the whole last 15 minutes of that episode.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
Hexadecimal runs from 0 to F (hex 0 = decimal 0, hex F = decimal 15)

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

bring back old gbs posted:

I figure we have 2 ways to start next week:

Whiterose calmly walking out of her house with her few remaining henchmen stepping over dead Feds, in which case we're in full on comic book territory and maybe they do have a time machine

or she dead.

dayum i didnt actually expect to call it

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Hey what if F-Corp Tyrell is actually E-Corp Tyrell and his weird Lynchian death-cam footage was him somehow transcending into the other reality? And the whole weirdness he had around Elliot in the Allsafe meeting was him trying to feel out if this was his Elliot or not.

Also maybe instead of being a sequential thing the F in F-Corp just stands for "Friendly"

Strange Matter fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 16, 2019

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Strange Matter posted:

Hey what if F-Corp Tyrell is actually E-Corp Tyrell and his weird Lynchian death-cam footage was him somehow transcending into the other reality? And the whole weirdness he had around Elliot in the Allsafe meeting was him trying to feel out if this was his Elliot or not.

Also maybe instead of being a sequential thing the F in F-Corp just stands for "Friendly"

That could be one of the small scale tests, maybe?

So I kind of wondered about Tyrell F since he seemed interested in how Elliot F had seen the bad things that could happen to F-Corp, but it could also be that Tyrell x is always drawn to Elliot x regardless of circumstance because that’s just how it works on this show, invariants of personality regardless of the particular incarnation. It would also partially explain Tyrell F’s hooded sweatshirt.

We’ll see if someone from the E universe taking the place of their F counterpart would even be possible.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Here's what I'm thinking:

1. Is this reality engineered, or discovered? Did WR literally play god and fine tune the specifics of this reality to suit her vision of the world, or did she just keep looking for long enough until she found the right one?

2. I feel strongly that they aren't going to explain Elliot's DID as a side-effect of some kind of latent polycosmic perception, mainly because Esmail devoted an entire episode to exploring the very real cause of his illness and I can't imagine them undercutting one of the best episodes of the show.

3. How paradisaical is this reality? Elliot in this world is a normal, successful dude with a good family life and a stable job and friends, but he could have been that in this reality had he been spared his childhood trauma. What's more telling to me is F-Corp. Advertising is propaganda and capitalism is inherently a disease, but what if the world's biggest corporation actually is benevolent? That alone would seem to signal a far more progressive and positive society. Maybe there is no other shoe, maybe this really is as good as Whiterose believed.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

can't believe this show went sci-fi and actually succeeded in bringing along all the people who said that would be lame. awesome.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
So Elliot was the customer in the Mr Robot store, right? He saw the phone with the missing Darlene (shades of Back to the Future), dropped it, and ran?

Past Tense Ragu
Oct 17, 2005

PunkBoy posted:

Yeah, this. It would be such a tacky move after it was so careful to be realistic.

What is realistic about the depiction of mental illness on this show? You're aware that a lot of the mental health community believes DID isn't an actual pathology, right?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Past Tense Ragu posted:

What is realistic about the depiction of mental illness on this show? You're aware that a lot of the mental health community believes DID isn't an actual pathology, right?
1) You're the one who specifically brought up the DSM-5. "A lot of the mental health community believes" isn't what's in the DSM-5; DID on the other hand, is.
2) Elliot's mental illness isn't just DID. He's had his mental illnesses very realistically portrayed throughout the series. PTSD, depression, anxiety, etc. All of these things have gradually been explained through his backstory and his therapy sessions, so yes, it'd be a copout to say "a scifi wizard did it".

Strange Matter posted:

I've long been the person who reads too much into things, but the simplest explanation is that "FCorp" is a play on words, combining "fsociety" and "ECorp" inside Elliot's ideal headcanon world.

I also felt like there was a bit of a continuity error in Whiterose's speech: She mentions the name of fsociety being proof that Elliot hates people. But it would be common knowledge to FBI/DA that the arcade they operated out of was called "Fun Society", and even if it does represent "gently caress society", the origin story of the masks proves the connotation meant "gently caress HIGH society", not "gently caress ALL society".

And I'm sure the symbolism has been pointed out somewhere, but it's interesting that Whiterose's name was always a clue to her ambitions: Her entire goal is to go to a world where the rose bouquet stained by her lover's blood were still white.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Oh man, I love the direction they're going with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
So let me talk for a second about Neal Stephenson's Anathem

Anathem is a sci-fi book that spends the first half of it's like 500 pages world building this pretty unique setting where academics are live monastic lives separated from mainstream society as a way to throttle their civilization's scientific growth, for various reasons.

The turning point of the book's narrative is the discovery of an alien spacecraft in orbit above the planet. It turns out these aliens aren't just from another world, but they're actually from another reality, a series of them in fact. This leads to the reveal that their cosmology is in the form of a directed acyclic graph, with realities upstream from each other being more ideal than those downstream. Information can flow downstream through the polycosm, so it's possible for persons in downstream realities to view upstream ones, which invariably appear them as better versions of their own world. This is corroborated by one of the visitors who turns out to be from Earth, which was the third out of four planets the ship visited before the current one; he relates that in talking with the other voyagers Earth seemed a lot better than the first two worlds, but inferior to the fourth and fifth, current world that is the setting of the story.

I said all that to say that this twist reminds me a lot of that kind of multiverse structure. Whiterose through whatever science she became obsessed with got a glimpse of a more perfect world, and admittedly the world of Mr. Robot is pretty bad, moreso than our own. It implies of course that reality has an objective measurement of goodness, but frankly looking at F-World it seems like a pretty chill place to be in, for the 15 minutes that we have there.