Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

MizPiz posted:

Then it's not the game version

yes he’s just vaguely pretending instead of blatantly flashing the symbol directly into the camera

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

lol

https://twitter.com/danieleharper/status/1205932407452512256?s=21

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

maybe he really does have brain damage

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

yellowcar posted:

maybe he really does have brain damage

How many plates of fruit has he dropped lately?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

this is the first time i'm learning that this 'circle game' thing exists

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
it’s a game mainly for preteens and maybe early teens so unless you played it as a kid there isn’t really a reason for you to

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

who caressss

it's really obviously a white power symbol

Dec 26, 2012

Yinlock posted:

who caressss

it's really obviously a white power symbol

agreed, anyone who plays the circle game is probably a fascist

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

01011001 posted:

agreed, anyone who plays the circle game is probably a fascist

i meant in this specific case

but we better keep an eye on those kids too, who knows what hitlery antics they're up to

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://twitter.com/Justice_099/status/1206193577753231365?s=20

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

lol the "i only operate on pure flawless logic" people are always motivated solely by their emotions

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is the right wing no longer fed primarily by those self-diagnosed with autism?

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
https://mobile.twitter.com/NoahHurowitz/status/1206270604002910215

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/gwensnyderPHL/status/1137761222416314369

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Maybe if he stopped killing them like a horror movie

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

p sure this dude means "heyday", not ---

-- eh nevermind maybe he did mean hayday

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Grondoth posted:

This is where the "circle game" and "white power OK sign" need some differentiation. I bet it's the former, which was a dumb game where someone would make that exact sign and if you looked at it they'd be all "GOT YOU." The OK sign is usually up. I see this as a bunch of dumb foolin' for a camera.

If it's above the waist and the intended target isn't in punching range it isn't the circle game.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
wasn't there a whole slew of memes like a year ago of people doing an "ok" symbol below their waist and a subcaption like "made you look" or "you just lost the game". like an image with lots of very small text like "look at the dog" "look at the phone booth" "now look at the guy in cargo shorts"

(you just lost the game btw)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

wasn't there a whole slew of memes like a year ago of people doing an "ok" symbol below their waist and a subcaption like "made you look" or "you just lost the game". like an image with lots of very small text like "look at the dog" "look at the phone booth" "now look at the guy in cargo shorts"

they both deserve death

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/fox32news/status/1206333558530478080?s=20

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

t:mad:

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

look he’s just really into an alternate-history roleplay where the civil war happens during ww2 and the nazis care deeply about state’s rights

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

this whole conversation has always seemed a little silly to me because anyone who does the ok symbol to signal that theyre a nazi to other people tends to do lots and lots of other obvious erratic nazi poo poo, because theyre nazis

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

yeah, it recently had a resurgence that was unconnected to the nazi pepe ok thing

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

this is also why conservatives are so obsessed with abortion

it's all about white babies

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

rack 'em

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

CharlestheHammer posted:

it’s a game mainly for preteens and maybe early teens so unless you played it as a kid there isn’t really a reason for you to

Incorrect. It’s been a military thing, especially among aviators, for at least 20 years. (Sometimes it’s called gotcha. It was even on a few sitcoms in the 2000s). Even the ADL cautions against mistaking “circle game” for white supremacy.

Here is what the controversy is really about :

4chan troll: hmmm. How can we discredit libtards today my fine Ritalin fueled
patriots?
4chan troll 2: hey You know that often used OK sign? Let’s start a conspiracy theory where it means white power. Then every time someone uses it the SJW libtards will freak out and look like tards.
4chan troll: Ricky Hitler, I think you’re on to something. But let’s make sure it sticks. Make a bunch of fake white girl twitter accounts and sees it that way. Libtards love Twitter!
4chan troll 2: eye eye, captain!
4chan troll: we’ll call it “operation OKKK”
4chan troll 2: brilliant!
Actual white supremacist twitter reader: hey! Not a bad idea! I’ll use it too.
*months later*
Twittersphere: LOOK AT THOSE COLLEGE BOYS FLASHING WHITE POWER SIGNS! OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!!! Forget the fact this is national television and supremacist activities are grounds for punitive action! They would totally risk their commissions with an obvious display of racism. Kill them!
Tons of people: hey mike... isn’t that just that game we played in flight school as an excuse to punch each other’s junk in a.... uh.... totally fraternal and not at all gay way?
More people (mostly white boomers): wait... so this is just some dumb kids game and the left is calling for the blood of a bunch of college kids... fine military academy kids no less? Man. Trump is an rear end in a top hat. But these far left guys are getting scary too...
4chan: eeeexxxxcccellent. Now let’s make some fake posts by “gay people” supporting pedophiles.

You’re falling right into their trap. Do you want four more years of Trump? Because this is how you get four more years of trump. Don’t feed the trolls.

(Disclaimer. Use of words like tard are used to approximate the mind of the 4chan troll for dramatic effect and in no way reflect the views of the author.)

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

it must be totally liberating to have the sort of naive ideology that allows you to examine everything free of context or history, with the only accepted inputs being things like Rubin op-eds and winking promises from people like Richard Spencer and Stephen Miller

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

ActusRhesus posted:

You’re falling right into their trap. Do you want four more years of Trump? Because this is how you get four more years of trump. Don’t feed the trolls.

lol none this poo poo matters for the election

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cringe anxiety

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

The thing about pretending something is a white supremacist symbol is that if enough white supremacists do it, it becomes a white supremacist symbol. Funny how that works.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I mean the same argument would apply to the swastika and roman salute, is anybody here willing to argue that those have nothing to do with Nazism and that the people throwing them around at rallies and concentration camps etc were actually just interested in religion and Roman history?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Epic High Five posted:

I mean the same argument would apply to the swastika and roman salute, is anybody here willing to argue that those have nothing to do with Nazism and that the people throwing them around at rallies and concentration camps etc were actually just interested in religion and Roman history?

Not quite the same analogy.

To begin. Again. This is a confirmed 4chan hoax designed to do exactly this. Second, I think to be a fair comparison, you’d need the entire white power movement adopting it, and a much bigger portion of the population making an immediate connection (even if not an exclusive one) to Nazism. Is it possible it could one day reach that level? Absolutely. Are we there? No.

Besides. In this case the symbols were the wrong orientation. Fingers down vs up. Again. Even the ADL and SPLC say “careful you don’t confuse symbols or meanings”

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

MaxieSatan posted:

The thing about pretending something is a white supremacist symbol is that if enough white supremacists do it, it becomes a white supremacist symbol. Funny how that works.

That's the whole thing with this. If you have a joke that is only said by a member of a certain group, that is an extremely strong signifier that you are part of that group.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

You’re ignoring context, though. Circle game is actually a thing in the military (and other places where the young and stupid and disproportionately dudebro congregate) stupid as it is, going back way before the white supremacy association. So... no. It’s not a “joke only among one group.” Again, you’re doing exactly what they want you to do here. They’re weaponized trolls.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

ActusRhesus posted:

Not quite the same analogy.

To begin. Again. This is a confirmed 4chan hoax designed to do exactly this. Second, I think to be a fair comparison, you’d need the entire white power movement adopting it, and a much bigger portion of the population making an immediate connection (even if not an exclusive one) to Nazism. Is it possible it could one day reach that level? Absolutely. Are we there? No.

Besides. In this case the symbols were the wrong orientation. Fingers down vs up. Again. Even the ADL and SPLC say “careful you don’t confuse symbols or meanings”

probably just a coincidence that staffers and hand-selected mega chuds at all these events keep doing it, and then turning out to be huge nazis, then

culture is a shifting thing, and fascism especially so because it's so obsessed with aesthetics and appropriation. The reason a lot of signifiers that they adopt have existing meanings isn't just because they're incurious dullards, but also so that credulous liberals will defend their usage of it while they continue to use it to signify that they're part of the in-group.

Discord leaks of far right groups have shown that they are doing this and other things (like getting fuzzy sympathetic write ups by people with terminal lib brain like McMegan and Bari Weiss by hanging out with them and acting like affluent urban libs like they oftentimes are) explicitly for this purpose and at this point if you still think it's innocent and harmless you're in the company of a lot of the stupidest people on Earth

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
The aspect that's supposed to make it a prank/hoax is the idea that they had chosen something so common that innocent white people would be getting piled on for doing it.

Only it's not really that common and actually very easy to differentiate between the rare person doing it normally and the hundreds of white supremacist morons very conspicously doing it to say "hey guys I'm a white supremacist". No one is giggling uncontrollably at the idea of getting their hand in a live tv shot just to make a ok sign.

They didn't prank anybody they just failed and invented a racist gang sign.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

duz posted:

people who play the circle game should also be treated like nazis

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

its ok when the military does it isnt really the defense you think it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

duz posted:

its ok when the military does it isnt really the defense you think it is

the military is investigating it lol, so even they don't believe it was a harmless game within this context