Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
more! female! cops!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I started posting in this thread after the second episode and kept saying I think it was bad but kept getting yelled at lol. Way back in October. I tried to warn everyone I really did.

I appreciate your effort and I wish I would have listened to you. :doh:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I started posting in this thread after the second episode and kept saying I think it was bad but kept getting yelled at lol. Way back in October. I tried to warn everyone I really did.

ok but you were super annoying about it just trolling with "no this show is loving dumb" instead of actually making an argument

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Really big fan of Adrian going right for the "drop squid on it" button every time he runs into conflict

When a problem comes along
You must squid it
Before the world goes up in smog
You must squid it
If the plan is going wrong
You must squid it

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

You didn't get yelled at for your opinion. You got yelled at for being a threadshitting weirdo who didn't actually engage with people and their opinions. Plenty of people, including myself, have posted pretty heavy criticism of the show without resorting to this childish bullshit:

this is the show yall like? lol

You don't get to post here and act like you were the correct, reasonable one all this time and no one listened to you. You're just an rear end in a top hat who insisted on hate watching a show while constantly baiting and antagonizing people in this thread.

FLIPADELPHIA fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Dec 16, 2019

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I enjoyed the journey even if the destination turned out it didn't really know where it was going.

A major issue is that the original watchmen wasn't as plot mystery twisty as this. The show was stongest in the looking glass centred episode, the hooded justice episode where it did what the comic did and just spent a chapter following a particular character in this world, and weakest when it tried to blow your mind by piling up mysteries.

At the end it worked overtime to resolve the major mysteries at least, but at the expense of not really doing as much with its concepts and characters as promised.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Dec 16, 2019

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Fly Ricky posted:

Agreed.

I expected to come into this thread and see universal hatred. Disappointed. This show steadily declined each and every episode. Culminating in a clusterfuck of a finale that hand-waved away every morsel of interest that was left. Not to mention it poo poo on the entire message of the source material.

I actually regret turning friends onto this show after I'd seen the first couple of episodes. I owe a handful of people eight hours of their life back.

The Hooded Justice flashback episode was the best episode, so, huh?

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Klungar posted:

In Lindelof’s post-mortem interview with Sepinwall, he indicated that the original Cyclops plot was to put both the 7K and cops in masks that secretly had Mesmer technology embedded within such that Keene or whoever could mind control them into doing whatever they wanted. Trieu was originally the only one with the Manhattan Transferal plan. At some point in development (perhaps after the first couple of episodes were completed?) they decided to drop the Mesmer plot and have Cyclops going after Manhattan as well. I think leaving it as it was would help eliminate a lot of the complaints I’m seeing from folks that the set up from the first couple of episodes ultimately didn’t matter, because in the end the creators determined it didn’t either.

Also, one other quote that stood out was that one of the guiding lights they took from the comic was starting as a gritty noir murder mystery and ending with bat-poo poo crazy sci-fi shenanigans. Seems most detractors would have preferred it stayed the former all the way through.

Isn't the point of a miniseries that the plot is actually thought through and resolves itself in the limited time available??? I cant believe people defend making art like this lmao

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

massive spider posted:

I enjoyed the journey even if the destination turned out it didn't really know where it was going.

A major issue is that the original watchmen wasn't as plot mystery twisty as this. The show was stongest in the looking glass centred episode, the hooded justice episode where it did what the comic did and just spent a chapter following a particular character in this world, and weakest when it tried to blow your mind by piling up mysteries.

At the end it worked overtime to resolve the major mysteries at least, but at the expense of not really doing as much with its concepts and characters as promised.

I enjoyed it overall, but I think I viewed it as I did while reading the book initially; I "forgot" about the mystery and just cared about how each particular episode flowed. As soon as Manhattan was strongly introduced, I realized the show was about a black woman becoming god and then looked at through that lens and was fine with it.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Show should have ended with Angela cracking the egg instead of lowering her foot into the water, it's not interesting whether she's Manhattan or not, it's interesting whether she'd choose to be, that one was a misstep designed to end the show on a visually compelling cliff hanger but it really was not necessary.

Otherwise I liked the superhero show, I don't know why everybody is complaining, it was well produced and compelling, superhero TV shows can hardly make complex meaningful statements about... anything, really. Visual metaphors and having the black blue jesus killing the KKK was good enough really.

Show was enjoyable really, the finale was nowhere near as disappointing as the Lost finale.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Otherwise I liked the superhero show, I don't know why everybody is complaining, it was well produced and compelling, superhero TV shows can hardly make complex meaningful statements about... anything, really. Visual metaphors and having the black blue jesus killing the KKK was good enough really.

If your gonna try and make a prestige TV sequel to one of the most acclaimed comic series of all time credited with elevating the medium you gotta aim higher than that.

You're right about the ending tho, the original comic ends with "I leave it entirely in your hands"

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Klungar posted:

Also, one other quote that stood out was that one of the guiding lights they took from the comic was starting as a gritty noir murder mystery and ending with bat-poo poo crazy sci-fi shenanigans. Seems most detractors would have preferred it stayed the former all the way through.

Not even, as one of the loudest detractors in other places. Watchmen the original comic has unique properties that are, quite frankly, utterly impossible to adopt into any sort of prequel or sequel in our current post-MCU/DCU/etc. spamhell.

What made Watchmen The Show interesting originally was the ideal of exploring the consequences of a world decades after the events of the original comic. How do everyday people live their lives? How do everyday institutions like the police operate? What are the more radical elements of society doing in the aftermath of the climax of Watchmen (the comic) and what are their goals?

That was what was interesting about the HBO Watchmen show. The second that Lindelof & Co. did a burnout and run to the OG Watchmen characters as a crutch was when they damned themselves to embarrassment.

massive spider posted:

If your gonna try and make a prestige TV sequel to one of the most acclaimed comic series of all time credited with elevating the medium you gotta aim higher than that.

They teach Watchmen in English classes now, for at least a decade now. It's an incredible piece of work that elevated the medium. Contrary to other posters ITT, it should have been treated with a near-biblical reverence. It might have helped the showrunner avoid yet another Spooky Laser Beam of Death In The Sky climax. But, alas.

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Dec 16, 2019

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

i liked how the show looked and felt more and more like a Syfy original as the season went on

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

So the police had the plans to the owlship probably as part of Dan's sentence/deal. Which explains why it's not everywhere, like a car, and why it wasn't Archie.

I'm very satisfied with this insane show.

No season 2 for like... 3-4 years tho please

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

Thom and the Heads posted:

i liked how the show looked and felt more and more like a Syfy original as the season went on

The most frequently lauded show by the serial complainers ITT is a SyFy show, and yet they seem to have lost that audience. Odd.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

struggling to imagine anything more emblematic of modern broke-brained lib politics than a middle aged white man showrunner turning dr. m into a POC and then into a WOC lmao.
it's a pretty good bit

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Bushido Brown posted:

The most frequently lauded show by the serial complainers ITT is a SyFy show, and yet they seem to have lost that audience. Odd.

i was referring more to the older style of Syfy programming on cable. Lots of this show looked kind of low budget and lovely considering this is on HBO. I haven't seen The Expanse.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Midgetskydiver posted:

You didn't get yelled at for your opinion. You got yelled at for being a threadshitting weirdo who didn't actually engage with people and their opinions. Plenty of people, including myself, have posted pretty heavy criticism of the show without resorting to this childish bullshit:

You don't get to post here and act like you were the correct, reasonable one all this time and no one listened to you. You're just an rear end in a top hat who insisted on hate watching a show while constantly baiting and antagonizing people in this thread.

You’re leaving out the thing I quoted in that post that provides context for my post. Sorry friend but I was correct about this show from day 1. If you liked it though that’s fine

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

i was referring more to the older style of Syfy programming on cable. Lots of this show looked kind of low budget and lovely considering this is on HBO. I haven't seen The Expanse.

I just like pointing out the inherent ironies/contradictions that folks complaining about this have.

People are always going to disagree, but most don't seem that thought through. For example, the scenes freezing and unfreezing Veidt didn't seem low budget to me. Trieu's centrifuge didn't seem low budget to me.

But hey, what do I know.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

Darko posted:

Nobody sees this as an issue since Cyclops is a stand in for white supremacy. Why do you keep trying to push this?

On another note, the whole show is basically a build up to "what if God was a black woman?"

Because instead of making the show about the actual KKK or being a commentary about white supremacy in the US, it reduces real, lived trauma to lovely comic plot conniving about how a fictional KKK was actually behind everything but it's solved now because Trieu blasted them with lasers. It pisses all over the writing and themes present in the first 2/3 of the series in favor of some "actually, Red Skull was behind the holocaust" levels of dumb fuckery.

Hey Chief
Feb 21, 2013

Wonderful show. I really feel like this is a genuine continuation of the original's tone and storytelling style, besides.

Last episode was more abrupt than usual in how it handles the shift between genuine drama and the pulp entertainment side of things, though Veidt and Laurie saving the day by turning knobs and dials in his mad scientist lab was very funny.
Ozymandias, of all people, considers delusions of godhood a sign that someone must be stopped. Well, I suppose it's there to make us question Angela's decision. From Will's comment on Dr. M, one wonders if she'll want to be a more proactive in her 'playing god,' essentially reaffirming her commitment to vigilanteism.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Reading Lindlofs post season rolling stone inteview one major misstep that seems apparent to me is that he is openly disdainful of the idea of the Kavelry as villians. Like he admits that they're kind of lame, not that threatening a presence past episode 3 and that Looking Glass can beat up 5 of them at once so who gives a poo poo, get to the real story.

Except the entire horror of the opening sequence (which remains extremely effective) is that it establishes that white supremacy is an actual credible, terrifying threat to people of colour. To then turn around and go "oh they're just cartoon goon villains" and have the white superhero just offhandly pulp them like how Captain America churns through nazis them feels very off, and not true to the concept of a show that deals with the issue of race, or one as a deconstrucion or masked heroes.

E;

unrelated issue: veidts fart.

This episode points out that all of Veidts actions on mars have been essentially a game he's been playing to stop himself going crazy. So he scripted his own trial. Ok thats odd, but psychologially interesting at least.

But why the fart? It makes sense if you are there against your own will to show absolute disdain for the proceedings, but why write an impassioned debate as to the morality of your actions and then conclude with *fartz*?

massive spider fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Dec 16, 2019

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

Preem Palver posted:

Because instead of making the show about the actual KKK or being a commentary about white supremacy in the US, it reduces real, lived trauma to lovely comic plot conniving about how a fictional KKK was actually behind everything but it's solved now because Trieu blasted them with lasers. It pisses all over the writing and themes present in the first 2/3 of the series in favor of some "actually, Red Skull was behind the holocaust" levels of dumb fuckery.

Yeah, I guess to me this makes sense if you don't view the last third as a quasi critique of the source material. It's Jon's trial, we end up watching, not Adrian's.

I think there's more to unpack there than LOL God is black now - no wait, a black woman." I think folks will disagree whether that's earned, but that's what I'm left thinking about when I think of the series as a whole.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

That’s one thing that confused me about this show. I heard the budget was pretty high, so then why did everything look so cheap? Dr Manhattan looked particularly awful too.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

massive spider posted:

Except the entire horror of the opening sequence (which remains extremely effective) is that it establishes that white supremacy is an actual credible, terrifying threat to people of colour. To then turn around and go "oh they're just cartoon goon villains" and have the white superhero just offhandly pulp them like how Captain America churns through nazis them feels very off, and not true to the concept of a show that deals with the issue of race, or one as a deconstrucion or masked heroes.

We don't deserve the Battlestar Galactica reboot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EisvM8F_5PE

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

massive spider posted:

E;

unrelated issue: veidts fart.

This episode points out that all of Veidts actions on mars have been essentially a game he's been playing to stop himself going crazy. So he scripted his own trial. Ok thats odd, but psychologially interesting at least.

But why the fart? It makes sense if you are there against your own will to show absolute disdain for the proceedings, but why write an impassioned debate as to the morality of your actions and then conclude with *fartz*?

Nothing that happened on Europa really made sense beyond some flimsy 'veidt got really bored and is into roleplay' explanation.

He basically got bored the second he arrived and started planning his escape while also making it a touch inconvenient? The smartest man on Earth didn't suss out that it'll take him four minutes to be bored by Dr. M's unimaginative Utopia? He cares for his 8 billion children but takes ten years to participate in an escape room adventure?

So the fart was basically veidt slam dunking on a mentally challenged person, not much more.

I mean, yeah the show has some issues, I still liked it!

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

That’s one thing that confused me about this show. I heard the budget was pretty high, so then why did everything look so cheap? Dr Manhattan looked particularly awful too.
Beautiful dick though.

Hey Chief
Feb 21, 2013

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Nothing that happened on Europa really made sense beyond some flimsy 'veidt got really bored and is into roleplay' explanation.

He basically got bored the second he arrived and started planning his escape while also making it a touch inconvenient? The smartest man on Earth didn't suss out that it'll take him four minutes to be bored by Dr. M's unimaginative Utopia? He cares for his 8 billion children but takes ten years to participate in an escape room adventure?

So the fart was basically veidt slam dunking on a mentally challenged person, not much more.

I mean, yeah the show has some issues, I still liked it!

Veidt seems genuine when he asks Manhattan to send him to Europa. And then there's the whole motif of the cake being too sweet, that's really hammered in. I think he must have only decided on leaving after year 2 or so - he simply remembered when the satellite would arrive because he's the kind of comic book character who would have a flawless memory.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
The most interesting part of the finale was the whole game warden mask thing, I wish there was more of that discussion. Anyway manhattan dead = no more blue weiner in the watchmen universe

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Your manic 11 posts per page begging people to give you credit for calling 'show bad' might be more narcissistic than Trieu trying to become Manhattan.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

massive spider posted:

Reading Lindlofs post season rolling stone inteview one major misstep that seems apparent to me is that he is openly disdainful of the idea of the Kavelry as villians. Like he admits that they're kind of lame, not that threatening a presence past episode 3 and that Looking Glass can beat up 5 of them at once so who gives a poo poo, get to the real story.

hmm it's almost like Damon Lindelof has extremely lovely politics that he's expressed many times over

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I really enjoyed this show and thought the finale was a satisfying ending, but I do think the series would have benefited from one more episode getting into Trieu's background and motivations, and especially Trieu and Hooded Justice working together.

Dr. Manhattan seems to have told Will almost everything that was going to happen, perhaps even that he was going to transfer his power over to Angela. So in the background Will was setting Trieu up, knowing she was going to bite it in the end. I would have liked to see more of this angle of the story. It's a very interesting element of the story that Will discovers he has a granddaughter, is told by Manhattan that she does want him in his life, but doesn't contact her for ten years anyway in his quest for justice against Cyclops.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Star Guarded posted:

I loved this show until the last two episodes when it took one of the most striking portrayals of the original Watchmen—the idea that if superheroes were real, they'd participate in war crimes and imperialism—and went on an unearned, two-episode redemption tour for Dr. Manhattan. What was that poo poo about? The show spends so much time on generational trauma and even references it with Lady Trieu when it implies Blake burned down her mom's village, but then it turns her into a one-note comic villain whose origins are only ever alluded to, instead of the space and respect that Angela and her grandfather's story receive.

Absolutely baffling.

...what show are you people watching??

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
show ended up just ok. I thought pre dr. manhattan and post dr. manhattan were two very different shows and it was a weird way to pivot the series. still some good things in the series and I enjoyed a lot of it but was left disappointed by the end of it.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
I do sort of think that if Veidt was in catching-bullets shape he should have also been able to clown on Looking Glass at least as hard as he did on Nite Owl and Rorschach.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I thought the show wasn't perfect but was pretty awesome and I look forward to more seasons in the future. I don't understand the sheer vitriol of some of the posters here though, it's really out of hand.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
My fav part of this thread was when the podcasts clips and interviews with Damon were posted and a lot or people were saying here that they don’t care about what Damon says or his politics.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

Thranguy posted:

I do sort of think that if Veidt was in catching-bullets shape he should have also been able to clown on Looking Glass at least as hard as he did on Nite Owl and Rorschach.

That’s an old gun with a (relatively) slow moving bullet.

For real tho, where did the Game Warden get a gun? Did DM create it? Did Adrian build it for him?

I have a hot tip for Lady Trieu- 42 Billion dollars can solve a lot of world hunger if you spend it on food and distribution instead of Millennium Clocks.

I mean, Veidt already has a machine where they can literally drop food from the sky!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

I have a hot tip for Lady Trieu- 42 Billion dollars can solve a lot of world hunger if you spend it on food and distribution instead of Millennium Clocks.

But she doesn't want to solve world hunger. She wants to turn people into dinosaurs herself into Doctor Manhattan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Zaphod42 posted:

...what show are you people watching??

The bad one (see title of thread)