Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Cloudhead games says they're working on an expansion/patch for pistol whip.

quote:

Along with new scenes, we plan to introduce unlockable customization options, new modifiers for new gameplay twists, as well as additional difficulty modes

No word on when.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Mantis42 posted:

How much does the lower refresh rate hurt the Quest? Someone warned me about it, otherwise I'm willing to pull the trigger on ordering one.

I cannot tell the difference between my Quest's and my Rift's refresh rates. I'd probably tell the difference between it and the 144hz from the Index but 72 versus 90 is just such a small difference that I can't perceive it.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mantis42 posted:

How much does the lower refresh rate hurt the Quest? Someone warned me about it, otherwise I'm willing to pull the trigger on ordering one.

I haven't noticed it at all. Ever.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I can notice it. I think. When waving objects around in your face you can see less trails the lower the refresh is so the moving objects look a bit less smooth.

It doesn't cause sim sickness and I don't feel like it's a hindrance to gameplay. 60hz definitely does though, when I've tried it.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

PantsBandit posted:

VR Poker is really improving my game I feel. Best practice for reading people's body language and betting tendencies out there short of having a group of people you play with every single day.

Except people play completely differently with fake money than they do with real money.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Welp, guess I'm getting back into VR, slowly albeit.

I just managed to pick up a Vive for £122 off ebay that is supposedly in "excellent condition" because the guy upgraded to a Vive Pro soon after.

Of course that means it's just the headset and the cables/breakout box. I'm in no rush to get it up and running, so I'm going to wait until the Index Controllers come back in stock and pick up a pair of light houses at some point. Is there any point in getting the 2.0 light houses if I'm going to be using it in a fairly small area?

How well does ReVive work these days? I had a Oculus CV1 a while back, so I have some stuff tied-up in that ecosystem.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

You can't use 2.0 lighthouses on an OG Vive anyway, they're only compatible with the original ones. Revive works just fine for the vast majority of stuff, also.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

PantsBandit posted:

VR Poker is really improving my game I feel. Best practice for reading people's body language and betting tendencies out there short of having a group of people you play with every single day.

Pokerstars VR is one of the most underrated VR games and is massively slept on

Game changing use of body language? Check
Best VR throwing in the game? Check
Actually improves your real life skills? Check

Love that game

RandomBlue posted:

Except people play completely differently with fake money than they do with real money.

Well yeah but that’s a function of money, not the game. Also, spoiler alert, real money online poker is toxic AF, it’s a cesspool. Imagine that child raging at you on xbox live for headshotting him, except every time you kill him he loses $10.

That level of toxic

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 15, 2019

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Love that game

Funny stuff. Luckys Poker or w/e its called. Is basically Pokerstars before pokerstars, people really slept on that too :(

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I dramatically shake my controllers to pretend I am excited at times in Pokerstars VR for no reason other than I think it's funny.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think realistically VR does most of what companies are trying to market AR for (training, design work, etc) a lot better and a lot cheaper. There's no need to fundamentally be in an existing room and build around it when you can just generate a virtual space in an empty room that's far more relevant to the task at hand.

I'm not sure how VR would take over this sort of AR application:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=habz0xdysoM

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Well yeah but that’s a function of money, not the game. Also, spoiler alert, real money online poker is toxic AF, it’s a cesspool. Imagine that child raging at you on xbox live for headshotting him, except every time you kill him he loses $10.

That level of toxic
If you're good at Poker, I'd say it's loving fun.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Combat Pretzel posted:

If you're good at Poker, I'd say it's loving fun.

Exactly, and anyone who gets rage filled, its just funny salt to laugh at and mute if they are actually toxic.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Right, it’s fun to beat those people and watch the world burn, but eventually it gets old having half the room on mute.

In Pokerstars VR, if the room is quiet, I’ll mention it, and try to spark a conversation. If they still won’t talk I’ll bounce for another table. It’s that ingrained in the game for me

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

RandomBlue posted:

If there were a quality VR poker with real buy ins I'd definitely dabble in that as well. Someday.

Beat SuperHot tonight. Really excellent overall. The story was kind of non-existent and I thought the middle of the game dragged a bit, but the last few sequences were all really great. Hijacking the plane in particular I thought was awesome and made me really excited for the potential of crazy action sequences in VR games going forward.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Dec 16, 2019

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Love that game

That level of toxic

I love Pokerstars VR, it's a great game especially for the price.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Every time I see pokerstars I read it as pokestars and think Nintendo made a pokemon VR game and I would play the poo poo out of that or a yu gi oh vr game.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

PantsBandit posted:

If there were a quality VR poker with real buy ins I'd definitely dabble in that as well. Someday.

Beat SuperHot tonight. Really excellent overall. The story was kind of non-existent and I thought the middle of the game dragged a bit, but the last few sequences were all really great. Hijacking the plane in particular I thought was awesome and made me really excited for the potential of crazy action sequences in VR games going forward.

I'd love a real money VR Poker, but online gambling isn't legal where I'm at so that's probably not going to happen. I used to gamble online before they locked down the CC providers and made it a huge PITA to get money into or out of the system if you live in the US. It's probably still technically possible but it's not worth the effort to me.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Leal posted:

Every time I see pokerstars I read it as pokestars and think Nintendo made a pokemon VR game and I would play the poo poo out of that or a yu gi oh vr game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWtArkwBtMs

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

:yeshaha:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Alright, but what does the thread think about the Odyssey+? It's cheaper than the Quest right now at $230 (!!) and seems like it has better specs? The OP barely mentions it though.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Mantis42 posted:

Alright, but what does the thread think about the Odyssey+? It's cheaper than the Quest right now at $230 (!!) and seems like it has better specs? The OP barely mentions it though.

Controllers are bad, controller tracking is bad, HMD optics are bad, WMR platform is dead. It's a deeply flawed device, though it does technically function I guess.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

Of the WMR headsets, its the best by far. Good screens, adjustable IPD, big sweetspot on the lenses. But its also is hampered by all the problems with every WMR headset, extremely temperamental tracking and not great controllers. The screen is good enough that if you're planning on doing a lot of sim stuff its not a bad choice at all, but its a dead end for games with hand controls.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Mantis42 posted:

Its fine for the price. Tracking is acceptable, the headset itself is decent and while the controllers suck in general, they function.

Biggest downside really is the controllers and how they feel. Tracking isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I got one and can play every game recommended in here on it without any noticeable discomfort with the minor exception of holding stuff for a long time in Boneworks. The tracking isn't the best but it's functionally perfectly fine and the price is basically the perfect jumping on point for me at least. I'd go so far as to say I recommend it. The other setups are "better" but I dunno if they're like, $200-300 better. It has a nice screen, adjustable IPD, it's comfortable for the most part (Especially if you mod it a bit with a head strap). I love mine.

Controllers are def. the weakspot. The grip buttons are badly placed, and the general ergonomics aren't good compared with more expensive sticks. When you notice where the tracking "stops" if you're anything like me it'll bug you a little, but the predictive movement is fine and you don't notice in during play basically ever.

Nemesis Of Moles fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Dec 16, 2019

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Can you swap out the controllers at all or naw? I'm conflicted because two different webforums are recommending me two different headsets and telling me the other one is garbage.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Mantis42 posted:

Can you swap out the controllers at all or naw? I'm conflicted because two different webforums are recommending me two different headsets and telling me the other one is garbage.

The Internet in a nutshell.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Mantis42 posted:

No. Don’t get WMR, it’s barely better than PSVR which is the lowest tier VR platform. It yet trounced by all the other platforms quite significantly.
If $200 is really all you can swing for the forseeable future ok? Otherwise spending more gets you a lot more.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Honestly I don't even think the controllers are all that bad. I lived through the OG Xbox, N64 and Dreamcast pads. the WMR ones are fine :shrug:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

RandomBlue posted:

Don't have that issue with mine using the Anker cable (if it's the 10' that was recommended), might try other USB3 ports on your machine.

sethsez posted:

Like everything Oculus has ever released, it's incredibly picky about your USB ports.

AzureSkys posted:

I keep disconnecting after a few minutes. I'm not sure if it's my old motherboard's USB 3 ports, the extension cable, or cable I have. I read that disabling the nvidia overlay, if you're using on nvidia gpu, can help. I just tried and went longer than I usually do. Not sure if my last dc was due to me going from a steam vr game back to the Oculus menu, or what, though.

I'll give my other ports a go then, didn't have much time to test it out. I'm also on a laptop so I don't have many ports to actually try. lol

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Honestly I don't even think the controllers are all that bad. I lived through the OG Xbox, N64 and Dreamcast pads. the WMR ones are fine :shrug:

there is nothing wrong with the dreamcast controllers

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Randomly skipped ahead on this video and landed right in the middle of a pot of greed sequence and :discourse:

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Hellsau posted:

I love it v much

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

rage-saq posted:

No. Don’t get WMR, it’s barely better than PSVR which is the lowest tier VR platform. It yet trounced by all the other platforms quite significantly.
If $200 is really all you can swing for the forseeable future ok? Otherwise spending more gets you a lot more.

For some people, yeah, its the price going to lure em in. WMR functions with caveats. Like, The controllers being butt. Beyond that the samsung is actually decent.

Its also soooooo cheap to get a WMR headset. If you know nooooothing and have very little exp in headsets, its not that bad. You and I are spoiled children with hardware so yeah, I 100% agree any other VR is better in every possible way even a quest with link. And thats saying a lot because I hecking hate recommending a quest for pcvr but it IS just better than every WMR out there. I mean, the samsung is probably more comfortable out of the box though.

Mantis42 posted:

Technically, Yes, But you'll spend VIVE+ Money doing it without getting the headset.

Basically if you end up really liking VR, you'll upgrade and sell that thing to help fund it. Don't stress it. If you caaaan spend more, Rift S all day for sure. Or Index if you can slop down a cold G.

I like WMR. At the sub 250 price point. Hell when the HP/Lenovo ones pop up for 150, that imo is a steal for new users with no budget.

If you can honestly spend more though. It'd just recommend spending more. If its a matter of a month wait, just wait. If this is the tipping point though, and you just cant spend 400 because you can't see the value yet, but you can tip toe in for 250 or less? Yeah. WMR Is good. It'll show you value.

ramble ramble all pcvr is decent ramble ramble depends on your budget ramble ramble

Hellsau posted:

I agree and will fight anyone who says otherwise.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 16, 2019

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Mantis42 posted:

It will always be nicer to have higher, but honestly I played for years on a DK2 that was only at 75hz and back then it felt buttery smooth with the only comparison being the DK1's ghosting 60hz.

Honestly, thinking back just a few years, when the DK1 was blowing blowing peoples minds is crazy considering where things already are.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The National Geographic experience in the Quest has some nice photorealistic graphics, it shows some other games could be better, it's a question of budget/tech knowledge.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Tom Guycot posted:

It will always be nicer to have higher, but honestly I played for years on a DK2 that was only at 75hz and back then it felt buttery smooth with the only comparison being the DK1's ghosting 60hz.

Honestly, thinking back just a few years, when the DK1 was blowing blowing peoples minds is crazy considering where things already are.

Technology advances much quicker than you would think!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I was aimlessly browsing Quest games last night and came across the Arizona Sunshine trailer.

WOOF that game looks loving rough. The zombie models in particular are loving absurdly low-poly.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

I was aimlessly browsing Quest games last night and came across the Arizona Sunshine trailer.

WOOF that game looks loving rough. The zombie models in particular are loving absurdly low-poly.

It also doesnt work for a lot of people right now and the devs don’t seem too bothered by it.
And if you think it looks bad in the trailer wait til it takes up your entire vision

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Anyone playing touring karts? It just released on steam and boy howdy does a Mario Kart VR game sounds awesome