Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Willow is on Disney Plus. My wife doesn't like Willow. I don't like my wife.

e: best snipe

For content... uhm... Val Kilmer can be seen limping throughout the film because during one take he kicks a helmet so hard in between takes the iron cage he was in fell from it's gibbet and landed on his foot. And Joanne Whalley was fine as hell.

Mr. Bad Guy has a new favorite as of 15:55 on Dec 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Henchman of Santa posted:

Midsommar isn’t even two and a half hours

You're right.
I saw it at an 11pm screening on a night I usually go to bed at 9 so I was exhausted.

The directors cut is over 3 hours, though.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

I bought Willow on blu ray a few years ago so I've seen it fairly recently. It's excellent and holds up extremely well. The only thing that you might call "dated" about it would be the matte paintings, but who doesn't love matte paintings? I'll never complain about a matte painting even if it's super obvious.

Yeah I love matte paintings.
Maybe it's irrational, but obvious greenscreen backgrounds take me right out of a movie but an obvious matte painting doesn't.
Same with CG vs puppet creatures.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Rumor has it there's supposed to be a Willow show/movie spinoff on Disney+. No lie, I think I'd watch it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I think there's a ton of literal background poo poo in Midsommer. Like tree branches looking like the sister who killed herself, etc. Stuff just kinda shows up.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Android Apocalypse posted:

Rumor has it there's supposed to be a Willow show/movie spinoff on Disney+. No lie, I think I'd watch it.

Better have Warwick Davis. No Davis no deal.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Arcsquad12 posted:

Better have Warwick Davis. No Davis no deal.

Hell, he could realistically play the elderly village wizard role now in some kind of 'passing of the torch' to the next generation.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Oh god, I remember when all the extended editions were out on DVD, basically everyone i know tried to do a marathon rewatch of all three in one sitting. I don't know anyone who actually finished that.

I did this in college, we planned a whole menu for a house of five and we made it through. Lots of crock pots to check on and baking to do when things got slow or it was too much.

It will probably never happen again.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Aphrodite posted:

Two Towers is the one with Helms Deep in it.

The third one had kodo beasts.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

DandyLion posted:

Hell, he could realistically play the elderly village wizard role now in some kind of 'passing of the torch' to the next generation.

I think that's the idea. Elora Danan ia all grown up but there's a new threat to the kingdom, so an envoy is sent to request Willow for his help.

Val Kilmer as an old, fat Madmartigan would be aces too.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Only if he'd fallen on hard times and started doing drag shows again.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

thecluckmeme posted:

I did this in college, we planned a whole menu for a house of five and we made it through. Lots of crock pots to check on and baking to do when things got slow or it was too much.

It will probably never happen again.

That is probably a lot of work when you also have to account for second breakfast, elevenses and afternoon tea.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

I think that's the idea. Elora Danan ia all grown up but there's a new threat to the kingdom, so an envoy is sent to request Willow for his help.

This untapped potential willow reunion daydream is extremely my jam.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

I thought something horrible happened to Val Kilmer like throat cancer and he was done acting.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Olaf The Stout posted:

I thought something horrible happened to Val Kilmer like throat cancer and he was done acting.

He's in remission. He had some procedures done on it, which surprised me, since he's a big time Christian Scientist. Guess "have this operated on or you're dead" got him to change his mind.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Olaf The Stout posted:

The surgery for his throat cancer supposedly made his voice really raspy, but he has done movies since. I haven't seen any of them though.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Slowpoke Rodriguez posted:

Instead of watching the LOTR trilogy just watch Willow. It's better, shorter, and has young hot Val Kilmer.

Look, I'm going for schlocky 80's fantasy, I want pure shlock and will watch Krull and/or Beastmaster.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Mierenneuker posted:

That is probably a lot of work when you also have to account for second breakfast, elevenses and afternoon tea.

You bet your rear end we had a full English second breakfast prepared after starting with Lembas Bread.

Not all of us made it to the end of Movie 3 without an unexpected nap.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Aphrodite posted:

The surgery for his throat cancer supposedly made his voice really raspy, but he has done movies since. I haven't seen any of them though.

In that case he could do Batman again.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

bitterandtwisted posted:

Yeah I love matte paintings.
Maybe it's irrational, but obvious greenscreen backgrounds take me right out of a movie but an obvious matte painting doesn't.
Same with CG vs puppet creatures.

The cliffs of insanity :allears:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

The last one I saw him in he was pretty clearly dubbed. I'm not sure how well he can actually talk now that he has one of those throat stoma.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So what you're all saying is that I can't do my sequel-reboot of Top Secret, then?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
You're a daisy if you do.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He's doing the Top Gun sequel, so there's a chance!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

DandyLion posted:

Warwick Davis is only like 50 years old. He could probably play the middle aged wizard going through a midlife crisis.

So much of my childhood had Warwick Davis that I never realized he was only a few years older than me.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

I seen a terrible horror with Kilmer as a janitor and he was super skinny and raspy

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Amphigory posted:

I seen a terrible horror with Kilmer as a janitor and he was super skinny and raspy

Was there a remake of Student Bodies I missed out on???????!!!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Krispy Wafer posted:

Warwick Davis is only like 50 years old. He could probably play the middle aged wizard going through a midlife crisis.

So much of my childhood had Warwick Davis that I never realized he was only a few years older than me.

Yeah he was only 12 or 13 when he played Wicket the Ewok in Return of the Jedi:

.... and he was just 18 when he starred in Willow.

Subtle movie moment/trivia: the giant two headed monster in Willow is called the Eborsisk and Lucas named it after Siskel and Ebert. :v:

General Kael (the big scary antagonist in the skull helmet) was named after cinema critic Pauline Kael. Her review of the film was .... less than completely positive. :v::v:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah he was only 12 or 13 when he played Wicket the Ewok in Return of the Jedi:

.... and he was just 18 when he starred in Willow.

Subtle movie moment/trivia: the giant two headed monster in Willow is called the Eborsisk and Lucas named it after Siskel and Ebert. :v:

General Kael (the big scary antagonist in the skull helmet) was named after cinema critic Pauline Kael. Her review of the film was .... less than completely positive. :v::v:

Reminds me of Nute Gunray.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Not sure exactly how subtle it is, but I liked the use of Halloween costumes in Marriage Story to show the state of the relationships. Spoiler just in case In the beginning Charlie was clearly trying to pull Henry back to New York, so he was trying to force the matching costumes, but in the end all three of them were separate and distant from each other. Then at the end Charlie was brought in on the group costume, but he wasn’t one of the Beatles (the main family) and was instead forced to be a background player in the scene, so it’s amicable but he’s still being sidelined. Also he was the Invisible Man and a ghost, showing his fear that he’s being erased from Henry’s life.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Baron von Eevl posted:

Reminds me of Nute Gunray.

Because I was curious and I like to enable laziness, here's the relevant info from wookipedia:

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Nute_Gunray

....Nute Gunray's name had two sources from real life: The first was the Republican congressman Newt Gingrich, and the second was former President of the United States Ronald Reagan. The former source was because George Lucas primarily wrote the Trade Federation members in terms of motives and characterizations in response to the 1994 Republican Revolution (which occurred eight days into Lucas's draft-writing the film), specifically then-Speaker of the House Gingrich's Contract with America,[16] and the latter source was as a response to Reagan's SDI program being labeled "Star Wars" without Lucas' permission.

Also this dude who had like 10 lines in one movie has about 5000 words on his background, but no one is surprised by that.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Basebf555 posted:

I bought Willow on blu ray a few years ago so I've seen it fairly recently. It's excellent and holds up extremely well. The only thing that you might call "dated" about it would be the matte paintings, but who doesn't love matte paintings? I'll never complain about a matte painting even if it's super obvious.

I would say the matte paintings are the best bits of the Hitchhiker’s Guide TV show but that obviously goes to the stunning Guide animations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Mighta been brought up before, but Detective Pikachu: Ryan Reynolds turning out to be the protagonist's father is a nice nod to that the real-life actor is mixed-race.

There's a lot of stuff in the movie that fits the whole Pokemon lore, and some more subtle implications, though they verge on theories. With the implication that Mewtwo in the movie is THE Mewtwo from the first Pokemon movie, about 20 years ago both IRL and in-universe, it suddenly becomes clear why Tim's father was able to find Mewtwo; a 30 year old Pokemon trainer with a Pikachu partner looking for them? Mewtwo was probably expecting Ash.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Just contributing to matte chat, not posting something with a subtle moment in it

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

freeedr posted:

Just contributing to matte chat, not posting something with a subtle moment in it

Where else is there a matte in the film? Just that scene of 3 actors on their way to be in the real world?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A nice one from the new Witcher Netflix series. Geralt is a very stoic character who puts up an aggressive, angry front to people so he can threaten them into paying him better rates for contracts and to get people to leave him alone if they want to pick a fight. Later when he's alone he talks to his horse, Roach, and his tone changes ever so slightly, becoming warmer and more sarcastic. He drops his guard around people he cares for, and that extends to his horse. She's a good horse.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

It's the same in the games. He loves Roach so much.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
And Roach loves him back

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
But there's no "give Roach apple" prompt, which sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Roach is competent, he will go beat up some schmuck for his own apple and then eat it while standing on a steep vertical surface.