Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/TheViewFromLL2/status/1206602597119012864

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

KillHour posted:

Forget the general, I mean the primaries. They'd be replaced by even more insane people.

I believe its too late to get on the ballot for most states but I could be wrong.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

LOL, this looks like a book report some kid assembled the night before it was due.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Could have saved some time by just writing 'nuh uh' a bunch.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

"Despite the overwhelming evidence of crimes, this is different from the other impeachment times because *loud farting noise*"

There I saved some people a click :v:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
......what???? :psyduck:
https://twitter.com/AaronBlake/status/1206613624388755456?s=20

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I mean you can't impeach him if he doesn't win in 2020 :hurr:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Fiorina (and most CEOs, really) are living breathing proof that meritocracy is a myth. We are really ruled by hyper-privileged dumdums.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1206634811735134208

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Does anyone else believe in the duality that yes Trump launched the investigation request for personal gain and should be impeached , but also Biden and his son should have been investigated for seemingly obvious corruption ?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

In any other loving universe this would be a smoking gun that's been slam dunked into a sure thing for Trump getting impeached and removed from office.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

vincentpricesboner posted:

Does anyone else believe in the duality that yes Trump launched the investigation request for personal gain and should be impeached , but also Biden and his son should have been investigated for seemingly obvious corruption ?

Yeah I do. But Hunter Biden is no different than thousands of Failsons across the globe who do the same poo poo. They all should be investigated and it should legit be a stain on Biden.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

what crime was committed that you would predicate an investigation on? being given a job because your dad has political power?

here's a hint: no crime was even potentially committed or else Bill Barr would already be investigating it for trump and leaking to every media outlet in existence that they're all going to jail

eke out fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 16, 2019

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Yeah seems if Burisma is stupid enough to do it only to get even more investigated, who cares?

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

eke out posted:

what crime was committed that you would predicate an investigation on? being given a job because your dad has political power?

Ya know, as silly/hyperbolic as this sounds, after thinking about it, would that actually be a bad thing?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

DandyLion posted:

Ya know, as silly/hyperbolic as this sounds, after thinking about it, would that actually be a bad thing?

i'm asking the bad poster who has dropped in to Just Ask Questions about biden, not proposing hypothetical laws

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

eke out posted:

i'm asking the bad poster who has dropped in to Just Ask Questions about biden, not proposing hypothetical laws

i mean, if the sitting VP's failson gets a job in a foreign country like ukraine for purely political reasons, it should be investigated. It should've been investigated back in 2015. That's not saying there was a crime. Someone should've absolutely looked into it and that shouldn't be a controversial viewpoint. Right now it's just dumb whataboutism of coures

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

oxsnard posted:

i mean, if the sitting VP's failson gets a job in a foreign country like ukraine for purely political reasons, it should be investigated. It should've been investigated back in 2015. That's not saying there was a crime. Someone should've absolutely looked into it and that shouldn't be a controversial viewpoint. Right now it's just dumb whataboutism of coures

the us government does not investigate things unless it has a reason to believe something criminal occurred

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

oxsnard posted:

I remember somebody testifying in the open hearings that they'd said "this could look bad" to a superior, and that nothing came of it; it's quite possible that Biden personally pressed for the prosecutor who'd dropped the case against Burisma to be removed so that he could say "I wanted this company thoroughly investigated and it wasn't" (except now it's being spun as "he wanted him removed so that the case would be dropped", because time travel is a thing to some Republicans)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I mean, if he's impeached a Republican is still likely in charge for the next year and another Republican can probably run in 2020 for her to vote for. If she doesn't vote for him in 2020, there might be a Dem in the White House which is a million times worse than the most corrupt and terrible Republican.

It's actually not all that illogical from the conservative death cult viewpoint.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

eke out posted:

here's a hint: no crime was even potentially committed or else Bill Barr would already be investigating it for trump and leaking to every media outlet in existence that they're all going to jail

What do you think about Biden bragging on tv about how he withheld aid in order to get a minister fired?

But seriously hiring his delinquent son for multi million dollars to be on an industry board he knows nothing about is obviously done to solicit favors

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

What do you think about Biden bragging on tv about how he withheld did in order to get a minister fired?

lol i thought your gimmick was being a lovely liberal not being some right wing troll

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

biden and trump would be sitting in the same jail cell in a just world, that isn't 'what aboutism' or 'both sides'

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

eke out posted:

lol i thought your gimmick was being a lovely liberal not being some right wing troll

Yeah when Biden admits to quid pro quo it's just crazy grandpa telling stories am I right

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

What do you think about Biden bragging on tv about how he withheld aid in order to get a minister fired?

were you confusing this thread for the breitbart comments section?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

sorry anyone who posts literal Tucker talking points is not welcome in this thread

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
i'm profoundly sorry for humoring that. Get the gently caress out of here

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

I too remember things that never happened

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I too remember things that never happened

It's almost like that was the whole point of constructing and maintaining a right-wing mediasphere that can't be penetrated from either direction.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Unfortunately that behavior is extremely common and not at all illegal. It probably should be but we’d have to arrest every other offspring of anyone moderately powerful- which is why it probably won’t happen.

It absolutely should disqualify either of them from seeking or holding any office of public trust though.

edit: oh, lol

PIZZA.BAT fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 16, 2019

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I know the whole "Biden did the same thing" is a bogus talking point, but I'm also not able to succinctly refute it, as I lack the proper facts.

Similarly for the whole "lack of material evidence" thing they keep harping on; it's a bad faith talking point designed to misinform and divide, but it's hard for me to refute it without getting lost in weeds of just how much evidence paints the picture.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

snorch posted:

I know the whole "Biden did the same thing" is a bogus talking point, but I'm also not able to succinctly refute it, as I lack the proper facts.

Similarly for the whole "lack of material evidence" thing they keep harping on; it's a bad faith talking point designed to misinform and divide, but it's hard for me to refute it without getting lost in weeds of just how much evidence paints the picture.

If Biden did the same thing they both belong in jail, this only works if you want to make it clear that Biden's less guilty than Trump. He is, but who gives a poo poo.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

snorch posted:

What Trump did was an abuse of power that merits impeachment and removal from office regardless of what Hunter Biden or Joe did or did not do. It's completely irrelevant.

There are agencies and international protocols for handling investigations of American citizens in foreign countries. If Trump was genuinely concerned about what Hunter Biden was up to, he could have had the Justice Department look into it through the proper channels. Withholding aid was not and never will be an appropriate way to go about it.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
it sucks that trump effectively closed the door on Biden's son as an effective attack during the primary, because it's illustrative of why Biden shouldn't be remotely close to the WH, regardless of the legality of his son's involvement

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

snorch posted:

i think if you're actually interested in getting into the weeds, you can pretty easily find plenty on Lawfare and JustSecurity written by very competent attorneys about both these topics

i linked a pretty comprehensive set of essays from js earlier today that cover the evidence questions in more detail than you could possibly wish for

eke out posted:

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1206585733118660609

justsecurity got a bunch of attorneys to do summaries about criminal liability of trump for obstruction, extortion, FCPA, etc and posted them all in one extremely-thorough summary.

also the intro by Weissman about standards of proof and the white house's refusal to allow witnesses is interesting

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

oxsnard posted:

it sucks that trump effectively closed the door on Biden's son as an effective attack during the primary, because it's illustrative of why Biden shouldn't be remotely close to the WH, regardless of the legality of his son's involvement

Exactly. Not to mention the fact he is a giant creep as well just like Trump.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

shut the gently caress up with your bad faith both sides bullshit. Dozens of credible rape allegations is nothing like Biden's behavior

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Yeah when Biden admits to quid pro quo it's just crazy grandpa telling stories am I right

Governments (that's the word grownups use for a group of people that run a city, a state, or a whole country) don't always agree on what the best thing to do is. Sometimes one government will say "if you do this good thing, we'll do something you asked for," the way Mommy says "if you do your homework right away, you can have some gummy bears after dinner." President Obama (he was our president before this one) said something like that to Iran: if they agreed to stop trying to make a special kind of bomb, he would stop keeping American companies from working there. Many other countries' governments thought this was a very good thing, and they said they would do the same. This could be called "quid pro quo", because that's just a fancy way to say "this for that", but it wasn't bad because it wasn't about benefiting Mr. Obama, it was about keeping everyone safer.

Mr. Biden also did something like that. There was a prosecutor in Ukraine who was very bad at his job, because instead of trying to be fair about how the government there handled possible crimes, he only cared about people liking him and giving him presents. (It's okay to like presents, but it's bad to like them so much that it makes you be unfair, especially if you work in a government.) So Mr. Biden said if the Ukrainian government didn't fire this bad prosecutor, the US wouldn't give Ukraine money to help with their war. Like with the agreement with Iran, other countries thought this was good, because it's better for everybody when governments are fair.

Some people in our government think this was bad, because that bad prosecutor was investigating a company Mr. Biden's son worked for. The problem with what those people are saying is that the bad prosecutor stopped investigating the company, and stopping investigating in exchange for presents is something we know he did. So Mr. Biden's son's company might have gotten in more trouble without that prosecutor there, not less.

The president we have now is a bad one because he wants to use our government so he can get presents from other governments, and so people will say he is smart even when he's not using his brain very well. He asked Ukraine to do things before getting money, like Mr. Biden did, but the things weren't to benefit everyone, just Mr. Trump. That's very bad, and that's why some people in our government want him to have to stop being president, because being fair is important.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

oxsnard posted:

I think the goal is for Trump to pump this up as much as possible that Biden and his son also committed crimes - it might make Biden the popular candidate to take on Trump when in reality it can be a repeat of Hillary.

Notice how we are less than a year from the next election and I don’t think Trump has mentioned Sanders at all. I think Trump knows he will lose against Sanders in all areas except the non-college-educated young white male group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

The gently caress outta here.