Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

banned from Starbucks posted:

No. A ship is not in it's own firing arc. Which is why Kanan sucks a fat load of rear end in 2.0

So I guess a similar follow-up, can you count yourself as a friendly ship at range 0?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Yes, ships are always at range 0 of themselves.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I ended up building an 80 point Poe because I am really good at flying t-70s.

Turns out I was an idiot and forgot my case at home. So I borrowed a whisper from someone.

I am really bad at flying phantoms and came in dead last.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Icon Of Sin posted:

Yes, ships are always at range 0 of themselves.

Thanks. So Kanan is a good crew member, but not so much pilot.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Just to recap:

A ship is:
at range 0 of itself
friendly to itself
affected by any card equipped to the ship that doesn't exclude itself through words like "other" and "another".

A ship is not:
in its own firing arc
affected by any card equipped to the ship that refers to "other" or "another" ship/ships.

Examples:
Howlrunner grants herself an offensive re-roll (range 0 of and friendly to herself, no exclusionary language)
Jan Ors cannot boost her own attack, and Kanan cannot reduce incoming attack dice to himself (due to "ship in firing arc" language)

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Thanks. So Kanan is a good crew member, but not so much pilot.

As it should be.

i have spoken I AM THE BENDU.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

New Card pack preview

EDIT: Yay some of them actual give gas clouds consequences. Also Dash loves this,.

bunnyofdoom fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Dec 17, 2019

E. Nesbit
Mar 18, 2009

Eat two dicks and call me in the morning.

bunnyofdoom posted:

New Card pack preview

EDIT: Yay some of them actual give gas clouds consequences. Also Dash loves this,.

Cluster Mines are back!

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
I'm a fan. Now, how will it resolves in tournament settings, I don't know.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Iceclaw posted:

I'm a fan. Now, how will it resolves in tournament settings, I don't know.

I don't think these are for tournament play, at least not right away.

It feels like they're testing the waters, though, big time. They're throwing out all the stops. We've got scenarios (in epic, but it's a start), new setup roles, environmental hazards, alternate formats, the works.

I wouldn't expect any immediate effect on tournament play, but if something proves to be really popular, they'd be fools not to take advantage of it.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

To be honest, why, after all those years, they never developed some kind of scenario play instead of coming up with increasingly clunky ways to resolve draws, I don't know.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

So the latest FFG live had some new deets. From what I can remember, b-wing sfoils are complicated. Open, you get a barrel roll linked to red TL, and you can spend a TL after you attack to preform a bonus cannon attack. You can flip em if you are not critically damage, and the flip side only gives you barrel roll to red evade.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Closed side also gets you a red Reload.
B Wing has 2 cannon slots, so you can do things like Jamming Beam followed by HLC, or Jam then Tractor in to another B-Wings bullseye. Then that one uses HLC and Ion or something like that.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

All of the details are in the thread on the FFG forums, starting on page 2

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/303341-reminder-ffg-new-ship-preview-livestream-today-tues-the-17th/page/2/#comments

There's a lot of crazy stuff in here. Zizi in the RZ-2 A-Wing has one of the most powerful abilities I've yet to see printed in the game. (recurring charge, spend it for a free focus or evade token (no action) after attack or defense.)

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Is it new ships or it's the pilots booster?

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

A little of both. Most of the good stuff is in the pilot pack, but they also showed off the Fireball and the new FO TIE.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Leia can fly the Falcon now? Neat.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
FFG still giving Initiative 2 pilots massive wall of text abilities that are really weak (referring to the other new RZ2).

The fireball looks really neat (at least, the only viable pilot with the extra dice ability does). Like a Pure Sabbacc with SLAM. I can dig it. He should be right around the points cost to slip into a four ship Resistance build, probably substuting Lulo or Bastian.

Rush is also real good for FO.

hoiyes fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 18, 2019

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
After watching the ROS I am hoping the unrevealed cards from the packs contain a lot of scum and rebel ships with resistance pilots.

Comedy option: It's the Resistance! now states grab one random ship from your collection and place it on the table.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Raged posted:

After watching the ROS I am hoping the unrevealed cards from the packs contain a lot of scum and rebel ships with resistance pilots.

Comedy option: It's the Resistance! now states grab one random ship from your collection and place it on the table.

Well, I mean, here's the card pack preview for the Resistance. Also Rebels

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Kind of disappointed Poe in the falcon isn't there or Rey in a T-65

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

FLGS had an insane boxing day sale. I got a sith infiltrator, ghost reissue and deci for $60. CDN

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
If you guys have not seen the article that went up today World's will kick off on the 8th of October. Also, we will be getting 3 points changes this year. January, June & November. In 2021 they will be aiming for May & Nov.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/12/27/2020-roadmap-for-star-wars-x-wing-organized-play/

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

It also sounds like they’re finally going to start dropping things out of the Hyperspace format.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

A friend who visited for the holidays showed me this game. I was unaware it existed (my experience with card/table top games is in its infancy, i was just introduced to Star Realms about 2 months back, which I love) but as someone who is a mega nerd for star wars ships and that's sank hundreds of hours into X-Wing/Tie Fighter on PC, I'm loving SO IN. Just picked up a core set from my local shop today and will be dogfighting against myself to better learn the rules and move sets. Been watching a crap load on youtube as well. I think this is gonna be my jam.

E. Nesbit
Mar 18, 2009

Eat two dicks and call me in the morning.

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

A friend who visited for the holidays showed me this game. I was unaware it existed (my experience with card/table top games is in its infancy, i was just introduced to Star Realms about 2 months back, which I love) but as someone who is a mega nerd for star wars ships and that's sank hundreds of hours into X-Wing/Tie Fighter on PC, I'm loving SO IN. Just picked up a core set from my local shop today and will be dogfighting against myself to better learn the rules and move sets. Been watching a crap load on youtube as well. I think this is gonna be my jam.

I'm happy for you friend; game is good.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
B-WING seems ridiculously overpowered. Probably doesn't help I was using SCUM headhunter against it.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Dpulex posted:

B-WING seems ridiculously overpowered. Probably doesn't help I was using SCUM headhunter against it.

A bWing is 40-50 points (depending on which pilot) and a z95 tops out around 30. A bWing should win that fight one on one nearly every time.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

If you're going to be playing solo for a bit, there's a solo/co-op fan campaign out there called Heroes of the Aturi Cluster. I'm going to start playing it with some friends this weekend. It uses an AI system to track opponent movements. There are several different version outs there since the original creator make it for 1.0 and hasn't had the time to "officially" upgrade it to 2.0. There's a similar spin-off game for the Empire called Flight Group Alpha, and I'm currently using their AI cards for my game as they have most of the 1.0 ships for Empire, Rebels, and Scum (or at least most of the small ships). I don't know how well any of this will help you prepare to play against a human opponent, but I'm liking it more than just setting both dials myself.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Thank you. I may check out a solo campaign after I learn the basics. All I did last night was get everything out of the box and unpunched from the cardboard!

As it turns out I'm pretty lucky because one of the biggest comic shops in my town has an X-Wing league night, and they are located about 5 minutes from my house. I'll practice by myself for a couple weeks and brush up on the rules before heading up there one night to officially start getting my rear end kicked :)

The B-Wing has long been my fave star wars ship so I'm gonna need one of those. How many other ships do I need to complete my rebel squad? Is it you can field as many ships in a squad as you can get in under 200 points?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I think there’s a hard limit to the number of a single ship type you can run, but you won’t hit it unless you’re going all-in on Academy Pilots for TIEs :v:

You can fit 4 basic b-wings (41 apiece) with some upgrades, or 3 higher-skill pilots with some toys in a single list.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

There are several ways to get four b wings plus a fifth ship that provides extra value.

Zeb in the attack shuttle is a fifth 3-die gun

AP-5 in the sheathipede can provide coordinates

Either shuttle can carry Jyn to pass out evades.

Blount in a z95 is basically another big gun too, but no crew slot

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Icon Of Sin posted:

I think there’s a hard limit to the number of a single ship type you can run, but you won’t hit it unless you’re going all-in on Academy Pilots for TIEs :v:

Related in a 'squad that runs a lot of the same ship' way, apparently one of the top squads according to ListFortress is mostly Vultures.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

There is a limit of 8 ships in a list in standard play in second edition. They can all be the same ship, or different ones. Doesn’t matter. You also can’t find less than two total ships, so no 200 point Falcons.

First edition Epic had a limit of x ships of y size (wanna say it was 12 small and 8 large).

Second edition epic doesn’t have this limit. You wanna throw 30 vultures at someone? Have at them!

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I was very excited to see that Keyan Farlander was a B-Wing pilot in the game. Very sad to find out he is not a 2.0 pilot.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
Anyone tried the fly casual simulator?

https://github.com/Sandrem/FlyCasual/releases

looks like the best way to play this digitally

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Dpulex posted:

Anyone tried the fly casual simulator?

https://github.com/Sandrem/FlyCasual/releases

looks like the best way to play this digitally

I play it, it's nice for simulating stuff. Have it on a tablet as well. Works pretty great.

The AI almost always gets the perfect maneuver though, while I'm slamming into asteroids left and right.

Burning_Monk fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 31, 2019

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
I think both Tabletop Simulator and Vassal are ahead of FlyCasual in usage, but I'm just basing that on what I see people talking about. There's a well supported Vassal module, along with a well supported Tabletop Simulator (TTS) module.

TTS costs money. It regularly dips down to $10 on Steam sales.
Vassal is free.

TTS looks much nicer (3d models and what not). Vassal maybe has more players?

Setup for TTS is covered well here (this guy regularly streams TTS matches and has a Patreon if you're interested): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxZGjreyUGc
Setup for Vassal is covered well here (by the current world champion Oliver Pocknell): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGmTvzPSPYA

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Do we know when that new pilot card pack is getting released? I know points updates hit on the 6th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I don’t think we have a firm date. This month tho.