Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
A woman of color killed like a hundred white folks just outside the dreamland theater and so it's now a Tie and racism is over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
Phew, I was able keep my predetermined bad take on WATCHMEN afloat over nine weeks! I’ve earned this medal!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Veidt reversed decades of gentrification by destroying that downtown area. Now lower rents will allow (surviving) people to stay.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

A woman of color killed like a hundred white folks just outside the dreamland theater and so it's now a Tie and racism is over

I’m With Her.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

It did!

The show ended by killing all the racist white folk, Will Reaves outlived them all, was even like "yeah Manhattan died but gently caress him he could have done more"

Then Angela gets his powers

Honestly what more do you want? They DID lean towards it! What were you expecting them to do in 60 minutes?

Going into that episode lots of y'all were like "they're gonna drop all the racial stuff in the finale" and then they DIDN'T and I was like "oh good, the thread will be happy"

What a mistake I made lmao

I'm going to assume based off your last two responses to me that you're not reading my full posts, and just trail off into some nonsense airplanes sasquatch mountain dew purple

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Angela doesn’t think it was bad that Manhattan did what he did during Vietnam or just does not care.

She still falls in love with him because he told her lol

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Most reviews aren’t even reviews they’re just boring recaps and cataloguing Easter eggs.

The easter egg poo poo is annoying because it seems to distract people from the legit issues the show has

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
It was kind of dumb for Adrian to have his password as "Rameses II"

AKA: Ozymandias

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Captain Splendid posted:

It was kind of dumb for Adrian to have his password as "Rameses II"

AKA: Ozymandias

It's like something an idiot would put on his luggage.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That was from the book. I think it’s part of the show’s endless clowning on him as pathetic, as that scene was the second canonical instance of someone guessing it on the second try using only their knowledge of his simplistic obsessions.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Weird mixed message with the negative light with show portraying Trieu gaining super powers to solve racial inequality as being terrible but Abar's assumption of the same power being fine/largly unexamined. If you want to end a show with a character gaining godike powers you need a bit of gorundwork on their own relationship to power first.

Its also weird that Manhatten, famous teen fucker and vietnam genocider gets set up as a tragic hero. Him being the emotional lynchpin of the last two episodes was unconvincing.

The last two episodes were trash, no.6 was brilliant, i dunno how to feel about the rest in retrospect.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

That was from the book. I think it’s part of the show’s endless clowning on him as pathetic, as that scene was the second canonical instance of someone guessing it on the second try using only their knowledge of his simplistic obsessions.

Huh was the theme of narcissism touched on in this show? I couldn't tell because of all the many problems with the show, and my brain, as well.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I could stand another series being a mixed bag considering how good the good episodes were, I would just like the ending to be one of the better ones.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

zoux posted:

It's like something an idiot would put on his luggage.

Not only is it an idiot password, his system is set up so that if you enter and incomplete version of it, it will tell you and prompt for the rest.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Wolfsheim posted:

This is kind of at the heart of why the show not only doesn't work but really doesn't work in the context of our current 2019. It seemed problematic to show the cops as good guys versus the racist KKK as bad guys when IRL like at least a third of law enforcement are sympathetic to if not actual members of white supremacy groups, and in the show....outside of the police chief all the cops are generic good guys, and the white supremacists are kind of a joke.

Its not really a coincidence that the two best episodes of the show (HJ and LG) are about someone treating them as a legitimate threat and showing how someone could be turned to their cause.

Keenes aborted plot where he gets both the cops and klan to wear masks and declare themselves heroes to blur the lines between the two was the actual plot that deserved examination.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

zoux posted:

Huh was the theme of narcissism touched on in this show? I couldn't tell because of all the many problems with the show, and my brain, as well.

First as serious drama, then as farce.

It’s pretty telling that the watchmen world had consumer-grade self-insemination guns in 1985.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Yeah, it was straight a nod to the book.

That said, between the password showing up again and having old-man Andrian do the bullet catch again, it felt a little too on the nose, "We did the things from the comic!"

Like yeah yeah yeah I read the book I get it but comeon did either of those things really fit the tone of this episode? I don't know about that. Did he really need to get shot and bullet catch? Seems like he could have found an easier way to do that, and as goons mentioned, he was only supposed to be able to do that because he was in peak human condition. He was a perfect athlete.

Old man Adrian doing the bullet catch makes it seem less like him being a perfect olympian and more like its some weird superpower he's never mentioned having. Ozymandias was Bullet-Catch-Man all along! Just kinda goofy.

zoux posted:

Also this, Adrian is a dick who thinks he's so clever hohoho.

But that said, that's honestly something I didn't like about Watchmen TV show Ozymandias. He's too... I don't know. He should absolutely be egotistical, Ozymandias was the guy who decided he was the only person who could save humanity and killing millions was acceptable and he was right to do it.

But... I don't know... something about Irons Ozy, not only how hammy he is but... there's parts of his character that just don't seem like book Ozy to me at all.

Like when he goes "I will NEVER call you daughter!!!" that's totally something I could see Jeremy Irons say, the way he's been playing the character.

But if the TV show didn't exist, could you imagine the comic Adrian finding out that a woman had a baby with his sperm and being like "I WILL NEVER CALL YOU DAUGHTER!" ? It doesn't seem right for him. Not right at ALL.

Adrian would either take the girl in and recognize how he could use her to some ends, or he would outwardly say something like "oh yes, daughter, I love you, lets spend some time in the woods together" and then she would meet with some terrible accident and nobody would ever hear of her again and he'd go to her funeral and put on a straight face and pretend to miss her dearly.

He's not... so obvious. He's smart. They don't write him as smart in the show. I'll give you that he's been driven a bit crazy by being stuck on Europa with weird clone people for years, but still... I don't know. It doesn't feel like the same character to me.

But the plot needed him to be like "I'll never call you daughter!" so they could then have him later say "save me daughter" and then Trieu could go "must have been so hard of you to beg for help!"
Its writing that needed to reach a pre-determined end, so they bent Ozy to purpose.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 16, 2019

Mullitt
Jun 27, 2008

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Angela doesn’t think it was bad that Manhattan did what he did during Vietnam or just does not care.

She still falls in love with him because he told her lol

Maybe she’s racist towards the Vietnamese because of what they did to her parents. She was a cop there after all, so she’s probably beaten and tortured plenty of people there. This is my idea for season 2.

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

I think what's most telling is that people are underrating the work the show did in "An Almost Religious Awe" which helped set the show up in some ways as a critique and answer to the novel.

I get people hate the "twist" but it both sets up the critique of the literal Old Testament (Watchmen, the novel) god, which includes that it's pretty racist, or at least blindly indifferent to the suffering in the world, which includes both Vietnam and the history of racial violence. The story literally and visually juxtaposes all of those narratives through Angela. God is an American, but he didn't give a poo poo about any of that. He was once just a man, and a man with a lot blind spots, it seems.

The final act wrestles with what that means in a world where God is real. Did Jon squander his gift? Who should have that power? What would they do with it? I don't view this as setting up a redemption arc for Jon. Jon didn't get redeemed in any way until he lived as a man (again) for a period, and, with added clarity, he passed the torch to someone who might be more capable.

I think that's deeper than just "lmao god is a black woman now" particularly because we see the efforts they go through to keep another WoC from getting his abilities.

I don't think the episode or show was flawless and agree with the poster above that said it was worse than the Leftovers' lowest points. Particularly, it was odd that Trieu didn't (somehow) also arrive at Veidt's conclusion that you don't monologue before you do poo poo.

That said, still think it's better than most TV out there, because even in the era of prestige TV, 90% of everything is crud.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

JustaDamnFool posted:

Weird mixed message with the negative light with show portraying Trieu gaining super powers to solve racial inequality as being terrible but Abar's assumption of the same power being fine/largly unexamined. If you want to end a show with a character gaining godike powers you need a bit of gorundwork on their own relationship to power first.

Its also weird that Manhatten, famous teen fucker and vietnam genocider gets set up as a tragic hero. Him being the emotional lynchpin of the last two episodes was unconvincing.

The last two episodes were trash, no.6 was brilliant, i dunno how to feel about the rest in retrospect.

To be fair, Trieu was an insane megalomaniac, and Abar is....not.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bushido Brown posted:

I don't think the episode or show was flawless and agree with the poster above that said it was worse than the Leftovers' lowest points. Particularly, it was odd that Trieu didn't (somehow) also arrive at Veidt's conclusion that you don't monologue before you do poo poo.

I'm kinda glad they didn't, but I 100% expected when the one woman said "You're going to kill us, right? Do it already."

Was just waiting for Trieu to say "Do it? I already did 3 minutes ago..." and then all their heads start exploding one by one or something, like the end of Kingsman.

But then I guess how would Angela avoid dying too? IDK.

Bushido Brown posted:

I think what's most telling is that people are underrating the work the show did in "An Almost Religious Awe" which helped set the show up in some ways as a critique and answer to the novel.

I get people hate the "twist" but it both sets up the critique of the literal Old Testament (Watchmen, the novel) god, which includes that it's pretty racist, or at least blindly indifferent to the suffering in the world, which includes both Vietnam and the history of racial violence. The story literally and visually juxtaposes all of those narratives through Angela. God is an American, but he didn't give a poo poo about any of that. He was once just a man, and a man with a lot blind spots, it seems.

The final act wrestles with what that means in a world where God is real. Did Jon squander his gift? Who should have that power? What would they do with it? I don't view this as setting up a redemption arc for Jon. Jon didn't get redeemed in any way until he lived as a man (again) for a period, and, with added clarity, he passed the torch to someone who might be more capable.

I think that's deeper than just "lmao god is a black woman now" particularly because we see the efforts they go through to keep another WoC from getting his abilities.

That said, still think it's better than most TV out there, because even in the era of prestige TV, 90% of everything is crud.

Agreed. Good post.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

First as serious drama, then as farce.

It’s pretty telling that the watchmen world had consumer-grade self-insemination guns in 1985.

Broke: incel
Woke: "Not giving myself to a woman"

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Harlock posted:

Given the overwhelmingly positive critic response I feel like that's unlikely.

Do you know how many things get massive critical acclaim and loving jump off a cliff? Like every other Best Picture Winner for the Oscars is irrelevant before the ceremony ends. Critical acclaim doesn't mean poo poo in and of itself, it's why it's getting acclaim. And I don't think Watchman's "message" was coherent enough to be interesting, I don't think any of the [Quite good] performances are compelling enough to want to watch again, and I don't think the plot itself is particularly setup to continue forward, which would create a broader narrative that might warrant reexamining this season.

Being good isn't enough to make something stand the test of time. Hell, there are plenty of 'bad' works that have something compelling to them that get people to revisit them. The life of a work is more than it's technical achievements. I think Watchman was good and forgettable.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hell, getting wide critical acclaim always means the thing sucks, everybdoy knows that

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

zoux posted:

Broke: incel
Woke: "Not giving myself to a woman"

The Veidt Method: pure volcel.

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012
For me, viewing a TV show can be broken up into two eras. Before Twin Peaks s3 and after. If this was pre-tp3, I would have loved it. For post tp3, it was fine. Nothing will match that experience of viewing it week to week short of reinventing the medium so I have to view everything thru that lens.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm kinda glad they didn't, but I 100% expected when the one woman said "You're going to kill us, right? Do it already."

Was just waiting for Trieu to say "Do it? I already did 3 minutes ago..." and then all their heads start exploding one by one or something, like the end of Kingsman.

But then I guess how would Angela avoid dying too? IDK.

Agreed. Good post.

Yeah it’s very Kingsmen to do that.

Gosh there are so many Kingsmen-esque things it’s almost like the two are related somehow.

Keene getting Manhattan powers would be horrible but clearly the machine didn’t work.

Trieu never promised to end racial injustice. She gave lip service to ending hunger and environmental problems but she could have done those things anyway as a Trillionaire.

Jon loved Angela and trusted her. He gave her the CHOICE to take the powers or not.

A few notes on masks-

Jon is not masked at the end, he is literally naked.

Angela rejects a mask. She shows up at the warehouse as herself, not Sister Night.

Ozymandias shows up in (book perfect, bless the costume dept) regalia, he is masked as gently caress.

Petey, costumed adventurer.

Blake, trusts in the law. She arrests Veidt. No masks forevermore.

Looking Glass, same as Blake. The last mask he puts on is Rorschach’s.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

dick wizard posted:

For me, viewing a TV show can be broken up into two eras. Before Twin Peaks s3 and after. If this was pre-tp3, I would have loved it. For post tp3, it was fine. Nothing will match that experience of viewing it week to week short of reinventing the medium so I have to view everything thru that lens.

I don’t know if I would have liked this before twin peaks season 3 but I agree with this post. Everything I watch now is compared to this because it’s the new bar for quality in TV

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My take on if Trieu had succeeded is that the same thing would've happened to her that happened to Jon Osterman when he was transformed: she would instantly stop giving a poo poo about what happened to humanity and she'd gently caress off to Andromeda or somewhere. Same with Angela as well, I don't think your mortal morality matters much when you get your intrinsic field generated.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

zoux posted:

My take on if Trieu had succeeded is that the same thing would've happened to her that happened to Jon Osterman when he was transformed: she would instantly stop giving a poo poo about what happened to humanity and she'd gently caress off to Andromeda or somewhere. Same with Angela as well, I don't think your mortal morality matters much when you get your intrinsic field generated.

Osterman did win the Vietnnam war before he went into full navel-gazing mode; the other possibilities can probably manage at least a project of similar scale.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Welcome to the US of A, Iraq.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

zoux posted:

I agree, and one wonders why he would want anyone to have his powers at all

(He shouldn't and it didn't make sense but what a crazy ending, wow!)

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Now i'm starting to wonder what Angela does with her power. The woman has compassion and true love for others, but she's also a cop that uses force to solve problems. I never really heard her opinion on democracy, we could be looking at a Red Son situation.

"Ten minutes from now i'm vaporizing you and your friends against the wall for "agitation."

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
She wasn’t even a good cop

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

ymgve posted:

To be fair, Trieu was an insane megalomaniac, and Abar is....not.

Abar is a cop who tortures people at clandestine black sites.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
My prediction is that, if there's a season 2, then Angela does not become Manhattan 2. Or otherwise isn't a part of the show.

We don't need a second season that hinges on once-again pulling the wool over God/Superman's eyes.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

SimonChris posted:

Abar is a cop who tortures people at clandestine black sites.

This!!!

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
You traded a disinterested blue man for a blue woman, at least Jon had the decency to gently caress off to space. I don't think the the violent cop will have the same inclination.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

I'll be honest, after Angela put the ring in her pocket, part of me was hoping she'd just fall straight into the pool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You guys have let the ACAB heuristic become so dominant in your minds that you are out here trying to cancel a fictional cop in a different fictional universe. This was a highly metaphorical show, so a literal reading of it, one that includes the assumption of automatic fidelity to our very own reality, is really, really dumb.

10 Beers posted:

I'll be honest, after Angela put the ring in her pocket, part of me was hoping she'd just fall straight into the pool.

I think she did.