Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

hong kong deserves to be free because china emits too much greenhouse gas is quite the take

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Too Big To Fail with Chinese characteristics

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

I am skeptical of some poo poo tier site named “Financial Times,” and it also doesn’t really specify if these people are convicted or if its pre-trial, if China uses jury trials or an innocent until proven guilty standard, and what % of them are serious crimes against other people versus minor crimes like the clerical “error” dude.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Lightning Knight posted:

I am skeptical of some poo poo tier site named “Financial Times,” and it also doesn’t really specify if these people are convicted or if its pre-trial, if China uses jury trials or an innocent until proven guilty standard, and what % of them are serious crimes against other people versus minor crimes like the clerical “error” dude.

financial times is a well known business paper from the UK. they are famous for being the salmon sheeted WSJ. this article feels like the usual expat journalism where some stringers come up with material while their writer stitches it together at the mandarin oriental

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Lightning Knight posted:

if China uses jury trials or an innocent until proven guilty standard

lol

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

not every country in the western world has either of those things, so it’s not as if it’s a requirement.

the Chinese legal system undoubtedly treats political opposition badly but I have seen little elaboration of what it’s like for the average person.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Lightning Knight posted:

the Chinese legal system undoubtedly treats political opposition badly but I have seen little elaboration of what it’s like for the average person.

The party with the most money and/or connections wins. If neither party have any, the legal system does absolutely nothing.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/politics/article/3040650/chinas-top-prosecutor-urges-courts-cut-entrepreneurs-more-slack

SCMP version of that article, published on December fifth.

E: another similar article from the 13th

https://scmp.com/news/china/policies-politics/article/2124212/chinese-prosecutors-back-leniency-entrepreneurs-tangled

quote:

The guidelines follow Chinese President Xi Jinping’s push to encourage and protect entrepreneurship, and his repeated warnings to officials against the dangers of corrupt business interests. Under the guidelines, all prosecutor’s offices had to foster an environment for entrepreneurs and their businesses, “strengthening their sense of personal and wealth security, and boosting confidence and providing incentives for businesspeople to innovate and start businesses”, the official Procuratorate Daily quoted a spokesman for the top prosecutor’s office as saying on Wednesday.

Prosecutors should consider whether a businessperson sought out an illegal benefit and whether he or she actively cooperated with graft investigations, according to the guidelines. Prosecutors are also advised to avoid impinging on commercial operations while the owner of the business is under investigation.

Grapplejack has issued a correction as of 20:39 on Dec 16, 2019

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Thinking China Bad is w/e, as like, functionally it doesn't matter. but thinking that it would be good if the chinese state collapsed like the USSR is insane

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
love how people demand sentencing reform domestically while attacking the prc for the same thing

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

crime in china: scared prisoners, uniforms, high stepping marching, prison bars

crime in usa: stats, numbers fuckington, lines goes down. line go down. down line down

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
dang thats all i need to know about crime

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

love how people demand sentencing reform domestically while attacking the prc for the same thing

I mean the program as described isn’t really sentencing reform it’s preferential treatment for the business class which is actually dumb and bad.

Like putting less people in jail is good but it shouldn’t be based on their perceived economic value to the system. They should extend these kinds of mercies to non-business criminals too.

however

this type of thing seems to be common in the criminal justice systems of developing countries and I’m thinking about how things that are taken for granted in developed countries as “the way things work” (such as the rich receiving preferential treatment in the criminal justice system) are treated as uniquely corrupt in the developing world

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

American justice system is doddering, racist and inept where sometimes dogs could be charged with crimes. By contrast, China’s system is straightforward and judicious. The judicial system, controlled by the working class, don’t play with words and adhere to the principle of based on facts. You will be arrested, sentenced and executed as long as the court determine that you killed someone.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
American laws are gangster laws. They can come up with all variety of strange and absurd law cases.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean the program as described isn’t really sentencing reform it’s preferential treatment for the business class which is actually dumb and bad.

Like putting less people in jail is good but it shouldn’t be based on their perceived economic value to the system. They should extend these kinds of mercies to non-business criminals too.

however

this type of thing seems to be common in the criminal justice systems of developing countries and I’m thinking about how things that are taken for granted in developed countries as “the way things work” (such as the rich receiving preferential treatment in the criminal justice system) are treated as uniquely corrupt in the developing world

I think the US should start executing CEOs occasionally when they deserve it. China gets that one right.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Spergin Morlock posted:

I think the US should start executing CEOs occasionally when they deserve it. China gets that one right.

i oppose the death penalty on moral grounds so i am a bad leftist

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
China is right, once again. They just keep winning it's crazy.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Lightning Knight posted:

not every country in the western world has either of those things, so it’s not as if it’s a requirement.

Plenty of countries even regard jury trails as unjust.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

giving preferential treatment to business people in terms of prosecution sounds bad but uh these people are acting like this is some new thing that china invented obama refused to prosecute anyone in wall street for the financial crash using the exact same logic

the really weird part is that most of the time rags like the financial times are making GBS threads on china for the exact opposite reason that china is too mean to white collar criminals and stifling the wisdom of the invisible hand so im not sure who this line of attack is even supposed to appeal to considering their target audience

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

I think we should compromise and enact some kind of Sharashka for those businessmen

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Bourgeoisie good and deserve lesser prison sentences as job creators, capitalism wins again

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/hkguy1988/status/1206743048945721346

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Spergin Morlock posted:

This is good but literally only ever happens in China to enrich other CEOs

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lightning Knight posted:

i oppose the death penalty on moral grounds so i am a bad leftist

I will settle for LOCKING THEM UP

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011
is there a halfway decent claim of protester killed by hk police or is it still a combination of 'well of course the police kills protesters by the score and there's somehow no evidence of it' and 'some dude slipped and fell, their bloodlust knows no bounds!'

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

uninterrupted posted:

is there a halfway decent claim of protester killed by hk police or is it still a combination of 'well of course the police kills protesters by the score and there's somehow no evidence of it' and 'some dude slipped and fell, their bloodlust knows no bounds!'

There is zero evidence the HKPF has killed anyone so far. The protestors tried to astroturf an alleged massacre in the subway but even the western media wasn't buying that one.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

one time on hong kong protest twitter i saw a video where a swat team guy kicks a protestor on the ground in the leg a few times and then the guy next to him makes him knock it off

it was the only remotely violent thing in the whole two minute video but the responses were acting like theyd just seen the rodney king beating

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Some Guy TT posted:

giving preferential treatment to business people in terms of prosecution sounds bad but uh these people are acting like this is some new thing that china invented obama refused to prosecute anyone in wall street for the financial crash using the exact same logic

the really weird part is that most of the time rags like the financial times are making GBS threads on china for the exact opposite reason that china is too mean to white collar criminals and stifling the wisdom of the invisible hand so im not sure who this line of attack is even supposed to appeal to considering their target audience
since bank drug laundering and mass financial fraud goes unprosecuted while poor people selling loosies in the streets get extrajudicially murdered with swarms of cops surrounding you, matt taibbi makes a moral case that you should basically jury nullify any nonviolent crime that does not rise to that level

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
whats going on in xinjiang

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

not gonna lie its pretty funny that hong kong protestors would rather describe themselves as jews than ever stop to think they could more credibly apply that label to the ughyurs and still be able to call china bad

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I will settle for LOCKING THEM UP

The problem with this line of thinking is that it let's the bosses off the hook after you've supposedly done a revolution and killed their footsoldiers.

You might say it's giving them.... preferential treatment for being rich

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

lmao

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

???

Too fast?

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

China has chad carbon ion radiation therapy and the US uses virgin proton therapy

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cao Ni Ma posted:

???

Too fast?

"Going too fast" is a euphemism for recklessly killing people in medical reporting.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Lightning Knight posted:

Google "Michael Spavor" and "Michael Kovig".

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/ChineseBot2B/status/1207019748103356416?s=20

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
The phrase "不同程度的受到了宗教極端" in that sentence places the verb (受到了, to suffer) in a strange place. The phrase in red is the correct way to write it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

thank you for remembering that most of us cant read chinese