Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

God such squalor. A sea hobo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Edward IV posted:

From the Raspberry Pi thread. It's nautical and there is certain degrees of insanity involved so I though of this thread.

Oh hi, I was redirected to this thread from the spaceflight Megathread

Is this mostly about boring rear end powerboats? I've been thinking about starting a sailing specific thread for ages. I do bay sailing and offshore costal racing.

I could care less about soulless powerboats. Fight me.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Nah this is about sailboats too.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Is this mostly about boring rear end powerboats? I've been thinking about starting a sailing specific thread for ages. I do bay sailing and offshore costal racing.

Na, I wanna hear some costal racing stories. I race on lakes/giant rivers in a shark24.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Hadlock posted:

We do sailboats here too. I don't thing a sailing specific thread would get decent traffic.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Hadlock posted:

soulless powerboats

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Neslepaks posted:

God such squalor. A sea hobo.

Yeah, I can smell his boat through the Internet. Hats off though, his pilot is super impressive stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbezaHPm_MU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Hadlock posted:

I'm pretty sure I get to make the rule since I started this thread, so gently caress yeah post sailboats. Its not like ya'll weren't postin sailboats before, but stull. Official position is a hearty inclusive all boats welcome. gently caress, even kayaks, I ain't care. :v:

I very much enjoy reading about boats powered by all kinds of things, even if my boat burns dead dinosaurs for power.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Hadlock posted:

Summarily execute powerboaters who don't give 100 feet right of way to sailboats.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Love to immediately hit full throttle right out of the harbor and cause a huge wake in my POWER BOAT.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Popete posted:

Love to immediately hit full throttle right out of the harbor and cause a huge wake in my POWER BOAT.

I'll never not go wot the second I pass the no wake sign. :colbert:

(I still slow down and minimize my wake around smaller sailboats, john boats and other stuff. Going fast is fun, but being polite to other people on the water is super awesome too. Specially when its the tiniest boats. They're so cute. :kimchi:)

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Hey thread, if I wanted to tow a boat of 25 or fewer feet, what magnitude of truck/SUV/pullerthing must I contemplate? Is there is a sweet spot in price/performance in that category? I'm looking to buy a vehicle after some years of carlessness and I have no idea what's good, and "pulling a boat" is one of my requirements.

We'll worry about the boat a little later :heh:

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
If we’re going on stereotypes: What’s the deal with powerboaters taking forever at the launch ramp?

I sailed a sunfish a few times this summer and I’d launch, sail out to the windy part of the lake, eat the boom a few times and come back in with a case of heatstroke and the same folks are still standing on the finger dock.

jk I know the answer is lovely families - hence the sunfish

Eta:

Kesper North posted:

Hey thread, if I wanted to tow a boat of 25 or fewer feet, what magnitude of truck/SUV/pullerthing must I contemplate? Is there is a sweet spot in price/performance in that category? I'm looking to buy a vehicle after some years of carlessness and I have no idea what's good, and "pulling a boat" is one of my requirements.

My 22’ sailboat is like 3,500 on its tandem-axle trailer. I was hoping I could tow it with a sedan, but after seeing how big/long of a trailer it is I went with a 1/2-ton, V8 pickup. I also do my sailing 3,000’ above my driveway so if you’re staying in flat ground you could probably do with less.

monsterzero fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 16, 2019

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Comedy option: Crown Victoria.

If you want serious recommendations, I think we're going to need more info than that. Powerboats aren't the same weight/length as sailboats, for example.

A half-ton truck made sometime in the last 30 years will probably be fine. Truck or not, you'll probably be happier if you have AWD/4WD, as when backing in a trailer your rear tires can get wet and lose some traction, so it's nice to have the front helping out as well.

Despite what dudebro in the suburbs will tell you, you do not need an F3500 crew cab diesel with a six foot lift.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Kesper North posted:

Mainly you are concerned about stopping power, so electric brakes on the trailer = good, especially if you're in a hilly area. We towed a J/24 (24') all over relatively flat Texas each year as part of a racing circuit. Most owners had an F250 class truck. Not for the towing capacity, but the braking capacity. Plan for doing a panic stop at highway speeds in a length less than it takes a 747 to land. The truck we used in particular was a V8 2008 Dodge Durango. All up trailer + boat weight was 3400 lbs.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Kesper North posted:

Also, what sort of towing are you planning to do regularly? For example, my dad's 24' speedboat weighs about 5,000lbs which was (barely) fine for my Jeep Cherokee because the boat launch was a mile down a flat road.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

monsterzero posted:

If we’re going on stereotypes: What’s the deal with powerboaters taking forever at the launch ramp?

Launching my parents' electric boat feels like it takes half an hour or more. Gotta lower the lift, put up the top, rewire the batteries to the motor instead of the charger, put the coolant in, and a bunch of other stuff I'm forgetting. Closing it up seems to take just as long too.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Kesper North posted:

Yeah, without knowing what kind of boat you want, there's a huge range in boat weights even within the same size class. For example, the dry hull for my Scout 172 Sportfish is only 900lbs, where a Cape Horn 17 of a similar vintage is 1400lbs, and that's before adding motors, fuel, gear, etc.

Granted, under 25 feet, you should be fine with just about any full sized pickup, as others have said.

boxen posted:

Comedy option: Crown Victoria.

Honestly, this was my uncle's tow vehicle for years for his 17 foot Negus.

Granted, it's not that big, and wood hulled, and pretty light.

His mid 2000s Crown Vic got totalled a few years back, so his current tow vehicle is a 1998 Lincoln Town Car.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Launching my parents' electric boat feels like it takes half an hour or more. Gotta lower the lift, put up the top, rewire the batteries to the motor instead of the charger, put the coolant in, and a bunch of other stuff I'm forgetting. Closing it up seems to take just as long too.

All of that should be done on the trailer, and not at the boat ramp though.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Granted, under 25 feet, you should be fine with just about any full sized pickup, as others have said.

With the caveat that I'd definitely want 4wd for a tow vehicle for anything heavy, especially if it's a pickup doing the pulling. I’ve seen too many people have trouble one they get their light rear end over some wet algae. Granted, that was in Atlanta...

n0tqu1tesane posted:

All of that should be done on the trailer, and not at the boat ramp though.

My biggest boating pet peeve is when I pull off to the side so I can fiddle with straps etc without blocking the ramp, and someone will pull past me so they can park on the ramp to do all that crap.

That and people who leave their docking lights on like headlights.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Leaving the dock in my Sonic 23 when the stepmom is around: 45 minutes

Leaving the dock when it’s just me and my dad: 10 minutes

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
....Is.... is there not a smaller option than a full-sized pickup? :ohdear:

This might be a nonstarter, because I would go insane if I had to use an F-150 as a daily driver car. Perhaps what I want to do is buy the trailer and rent a truck when I need to move the boat, but I don't know if you can rent trucks for towing now that I think about it.

I live in the Puget Sound. We have a common sort of utility powerboat used for recreational fishing and getting around in the San Juans that usually has a fiberglass or aluminum hull and a small enclosed cabin to keep the weather off. Larger versions might have a berth, but most just have a primitive head in the bow. There's a few widely known local manufacturers of such boats, none of whom I can think of off the top of my head right now, but that's the sort of thing I mean.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

You can go for a "compact" pickup, but I'd limit myself to v6 engines only if the boat weighs over 2k lbs fully loaded including trailer. Nothing like watching a 4 banger 2wd ranger absolutely roast his rear tires trying to pull a boat out of a steep wet boat ramp. :haw:

My 17.5' action craft is an absolute pig, but my 2wd avalanche with a 5.3 v8 handled it well. I mea, towing it frequently probably contributed to my transmission exploding along with a lack of maintenance, but thats my own stupidity there. :v:

If I was to look at an "Ideal" vehicle for my own use, I'd probably look for a taco or 4runner with a 4.0. Maybe a 3.4 if price was more of an object.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

This is my dad's 24' boat with a 496 back when I used to pull it with my Cherokee. He now has an H3 he uses for towing his ~5,000lb boat. I'd trust pretty much any V8 Grand Cherokee* to do a better job than my regular straight six Cherokee. At the very least, there are options aside from pickup trucks that won't necessarily pull as well but will work well enough and I'd rather live with when I'm not towing.

*There was a V-8 Jeep made that was known for overheating and dropping its valves into the cylinder.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
...Yeaaaah maybe I'll buy the Cherokee off my dad after all. It's got a 5.7 liter V8 diesel.

Thanks for the tips, this gives me a place to start.

* Thankfully it's not that Cherokee.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Wait, chrysler has never made a 5.7L diesel as far as I'm aware and I think I've sold parts for every motor ever put in a jeep. (Yes, including the rare af diesel ones.)

Even if its the hemi 5.7, it'll be more than enough to scoot along with a boat on the rear end end.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Elmnt80 posted:

Wait, chrysler has never made a 5.7L diesel as far as I'm aware and I think I've sold parts for every motor ever put in a jeep. (Yes, including the rare af diesel ones.)

Even if its the hemi 5.7, it'll be more than enough to scoot along with a boat on the rear end end.

Yeah, IIRC it's a Hemi. I know NOTHING about car engines. Do they call them hemis because they've had a hemispherectomy, or....?

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Just want to mention there's a pretty big difference between towing capacity limits on the same vehicle in the EU and in the US. We measure things differently... and assign towing capacity differently. Just like we measure Octane differently and you can't compare Octane ratings in the US to those in the EU without busting out a calculator. (No, the gas isn't "worse" in the US, get out your calculator)

It's something you have to keep in mind on a forum like this with so, so many EU folks: US versions of the same vehicle "tow less weight" with the US regulations despite having the same towing capacity.

I'm not sure how much of a difference the individual vehicles can haul, but in the US a lot of vehicles are certified to haul less weight than the same vehicle in the EU. So, in the US, everything get's hauled by trucks, even if a sedan would do.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Kesper North posted:

Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon can be bought with a 4 cylinder 2.8l diesel rated to tow 7,700lbs and get 34mpg when not towing. I drive a Canyon and it's the perfect size truck.

Having said that, if you have the room, you could just buy a used pickup for a thousand bucks and not use it as your daily driver.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Kesper North posted:

Yeah, IIRC it's a Hemi. I know NOTHING about car engines. Do they call them hemis because they've had a hemispherectomy, or....?

The original ones had hemispherical domed pistons to bump up compression and make more power.

The current ones use it as a backronym for high energy multiple ignition, meaning its got dual spark plugs on each cylinder. People recognize the hemi name because ~legacy~ and buy it. Then poo poo themselves when they have to buy 16 $10 spark plugs. :haw:

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Kesper North posted:

Recommending a tow vehicle for a yet-to-be-determined tow load is a bit like throwing darts in the dark, which is why you're getting pickup recommendations - a half-ton will give you a bit of extra margin to work with. I'd suggest you pick a boat that you might want to buy in the future and use its weight (with trailer) as a guide when looking at truck/suv towing capacity. A couple of points (North American):

1) Spend some time getting familiar with Gross Vehicle Weight Rating and Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating. Remember that vehicles are assumed empty for these ratings, any passengers and gear must be included in weight calculations. It's surprising how much four people and their fishing gear can add up. Also, all manufacturers lie or at least stretch the truth - read the manual carefully.

2) Tongue weight is critical if you don't want to end up upside down in a ditch. For boat trailers it's recommended at 5-10% of the trailer weight, so a 3500 lb rig needs to be exerting 175 - 350 pounds on the hitch, which needs to be subtracted from what you can carry in the tow vehicle.

When I trailered small boats for a living I bought a tongue gauge so I wouldn't have to guess every time the boat and its cargo changed. This is why I was paranoid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2fkOVHAC8Q

If you aren't changing your boat and load regularly you can do the same thing with a set of bathroom scales. You need to do it at least once though. I took delivery of a new 5,000 pound boat with trailer and noticed some odd vibrations travelling the highway on the way home. I pulled in to a weigh scale and found that the yard had set up the trailer with only 40 pounds of tongue weight. I tried not to take it personally.

3) Get to know the hitch classes and whether your intended tow vehicle can be fitted with the right hitch. Maybe a Class II will do it, but maybe you need a Class III?

4) Trailer brakes are of the devil. Your jurisdiction probably requires them for something that size but if you're dunking them in salt water they will rust in the yard if the boat is sitting or corrode to pieces if the boat is used regularly. Keep up with the maintenance, test before you leave the yard, and pray they'll be there when you need them, especially if your vehicle is a little undersized.

Or go and buy a 3/4 ton pickup with a Class IV hitch and you should be good to go.

Love the Aussies and their dash cams. Looks like a typical weight distribution problem in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqpPpaOe-bg

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
This is gold. Thank you.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Kesper North posted:

If you don't mind going a little older, the Chevy Trailblazer has a 5,000lb tow rating. It's what I use to haul my boats around.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Is there a gizmo to put the earmuffs on a small motor without having to hang out over the back of the boat? The lower in question is a Tohatsu 35:

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

If there’s room you can try easing the bow out and use another line on the starboard stern to angle the transom toward the dock enough to reach it?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Crossposting from the OSHA thread:

https://i.imgur.com/0tk4Qol.mp4

Anyone know the story here?

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Its probably used cars from Japan being transported to Russia. Open deck transport on non-car carriers seems common over there. That said, that dump truck near the front looks suspiciously american.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoNMZ-m7yL8

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
Towchat: A friend of mine has a 1987 24 foot Formula I/O (that lunched the motor and hasn't been in the water in ~5 years at least) but whenever he towed it - up to ~2014 or so - he used a basically bone stock 1975 Caprice convertible. :stonklol: I'm not sure if he has trailer brakes or not. I had to pull the car + trailer off a slimy boat ramp once, and I was terrified it would catch an algae patch and put the car in the water. Given the propensity for those to rot to pieces regardless of circumstances, plus the fact that he was using it to launch his boat in salt, I'm not sure how the car isn't a miserable pile of rust at this point. He still has it.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Can't believe all of you suckers who sink your own money into the pit that is boats. The real move is to live in an area with a publicly-owned boat.

This is the Belle of Louisville, a fully-functioning hundred-year-old government-owned steam-powered riverboat.There are only 4 steam-powered sternwheelers in the United States and the Belle is the only one which was built back when Steamboats were actually in relatively common-use. The other three are the Natchez in New Orleans which is far more famous and profitable, the Champaqua princess in Upstate New York and the Minnie-ha-ha also in Upstate New York. The boat was built in 1914 as a cargo boat but the engines are from 1880s because back then most boats were built with wood hulls. When the boat started to rot they would strip out everything important and expensive and recycle it in a new boat. Because its steam-powered and has such an ancient engine its enormously expensive to take it out. It burns something like 400 gallons per hour but once the engines heated up it can go down to like 30 per hour. Of course by then the cruise is over. The city has a newer boat with electric engines that defrays the cost of the Belle.

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 14, 2020

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Got the SRC. :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
J24 + tools for making her hoistable at City Marina, Charleston.