Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

grack posted:

If anyone cares it looks like you can now get replacement cables specifically made to fit the BLON-03. Not expensive, either (unless you're in Canada)

https://www.amazon.com/Sliver-Earphone-Replacement-Upgrade-Extension/dp/B0819BJTH4

Cool, just ordered that, thanks for pointing it out. I had a cable just die on me, and in the ensuing rotation of my 2 pin cables I'm currently without one for the BLON. Can't have that now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Well this is interesting:

https://drop.com/talk/28554/panda-announcement

A $400 bluetooth headphone with the oppo pm-3 driver, a THX amp and... no ANC or digital tuning whatsoever?

That's a bold fuckin move. On the one hand, I love the fact that someone is finally just putting a really good amp and a really good driver in a bluetooth headphone. If it's on par with the Oppo, that's a perfectly fair price.

On the other hand, ANC is a requirement if it's gonna be successful outside the audiophile community, you can do so much with DSP these days it's insane, and planar drivers take EQ extremely well. I think it's a bit of a missed opportunity. I mean, this is all assuming it's actually comfortable.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 11, 2019

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

KozmoNaut posted:

3M Worktunes were recommended earlier in the thread.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company...90824073&rt=rud

They're proper professional hearing protection, with Bluetooth headphones.

Finally had a chance to take these into the data center, and holy poo poo, it's like a whole new world in there. Very good isolation, and decent audio quality. It even fits my big dumb head! My healing eardrum thanks you.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Just got my airpod pros yesterday, they are amazing. Worth every penny. The ANC and transparency mode are aces.

Jascum
Sep 29, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo
I’m waiting on Blon 03s. I got the Black Friday combo with iem, a new cable, and new tips. Sadly, it’s waiting at JFK in customs. :(

I can’t wait any longer!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Well this is interesting:

https://drop.com/talk/28554/panda-announcement

A $400 bluetooth headphone with the oppo pm-3 driver, a THX amp and... no ANC or digital tuning whatsoever?

That's a bold fuckin move. On the one hand, I love the fact that someone is finally just putting a really good amp and a really good driver in a bluetooth headphone. If it's on par with the Oppo, that's a perfectly fair price.

On the other hand, ANC is a requirement if it's gonna be successful outside the audiophile community, you can do so much with DSP these days it's insane, and planar drivers take EQ extremely well. I think it's a bit of a missed opportunity. I mean, this is all assuming it's actually comfortable.

Yeah I've been keeping my eyes out for updates on these since the first mention of the concept ages ago, back when it was still Massdrop. Clicked "interested" and forgot about them. Thought it was just going to be yet another wireless headphone at the time but hey, I was curious.

After receiving that announcement I'm a lot more curious. Seems like a really nice all in one package. Theoretically.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Jascum posted:

I’m waiting on Blon 03s. I got the Black Friday combo with iem, a new cable, and new tips. Sadly, it’s waiting at JFK in customs. :(

I can’t wait any longer!

My littleblack bluetooth cable from Aliexpress got stuck in LAX customs for weeks and they never even opened the package.

Speaking of, the littleblack is really nice for a bluetooth 5.0 2-pin IEM cable. Only downside really is Micro USB, but I don't know any that aren't.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I ordered myself some Sennheiser 6xx to try out finally because I was able to get them for $170, which I think is less than I paid for my 598se.

I hope this isn’t a dumb side grade I’ve just always wanted to try a 600 or 650

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Okay now that I am a junior audiophile with HD650s (great call goons!), a schiit magni, playing lossless files off of my tidal HiFi subscription, what is my next audiophile big leap? Is it getting an offboard DAC for my surface pro? Is it getting a fancier headphone amp?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Okay now that I am a junior audiophile with HD650s (great call goons!), a schiit magni, playing lossless files off of my tidal HiFi subscription, what is my next audiophile big leap? Is it getting an offboard DAC for my surface pro? Is it getting a fancier headphone amp?

The Surface DAC is actually pretty good but the opamps aren't great. The Surface 4/5/6/7 Pro can power the HD650, but not exceptionally. A good headphone amp might be a worthwhile investment.
I love my Teac UD-501 and AX-501 combo, but my Emotiva's XDA-2 also has a very excellent headphone circuit.

I use a Focusrite 2i2 or 4i4 with my Surface Docks and that works great. It's also great for a traveling desk setup, but I'm not about to whip that poo poo out on an airplane. That's dumb.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Clearly the next step is to get an Orpheus. I mean, that's where you're heading anyways, may as well do it now and save some money.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I mean, technically you're a junior audiophile if you consider time and experience but you don't really need anything else.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
HD6xx / 650s benefit a lot from a quality headphone amp. They like a bit of juice. Any of the usual suspects around $100 will do you just fine, i.e. an o2 or an Atom, Schiit Magni, Monoprice Liquid Spark, that sort of thing. I use a Topping A30, it's lovely.

Or, you could get into tubes and let the worms devour your brain immediately.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

The HD650 was summit-fi back in the day so you're entering the dangerous and windy pathway of sidegrades and different flavors.

I'd recommend taking some time to enjoy what you have first then start branching out. Get something with wooden cups, get some ridiculously large driver planars, get some chi-fi.

Once you have built a large collection of terrible financial decisions then it's time to build an amp collection. That's a whole other can of worms.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

HD6xx / 650s benefit a lot from a quality headphone amp. They like a bit of juice. Any of the usual suspects around $100 will do you just fine, i.e. an o2 or an Atom, Schiit Magni, Monoprice Liquid Spark, that sort of thing. I use a Topping A30, it's lovely.

Or, you could get into tubes and let the worms devour your brain immediately.

All good ideas. As suggested above never skimp on amp power if you have a choice. You'll be surprised how much better your headphones sound at the same volume level but on a well-powered amp. Generally. Some headphones sound great on almost anything but can't scale for poo poo with better source gear. That's a + and a - depending on which dragon you're chasing at the time.

Desktop amps I own that I like: Jotunheim (little out of date now so better options out there, still good but best to use only if you're chasing balanced output), Fiio K3 (USB powered), Fiio K5 Pro (mains powered, great for the price), Burson Playmate V6 Vivid (best I own, note my first one died within a few months and I had to warranty replace, the CEO was very nice about it though).

I tend to enjoy Sabre DACs no matter what form I find them in. Fancy overpriced gamer headphones, portable digital players, desktop, etc. Not saying they're better than other options only that it fits my personal preference.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 13, 2019

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Got a pair of Monoprice M300s since they're cheap these days. Not bad, though I had to spend nearly an hour getting the fit and EQ right.

Oh, also the cable sucks, the tips are horrendous and the case is a joke in poor taste.

grack fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Dec 13, 2019

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

DancingShade posted:

The HD650 was summit-fi back in the day so you're entering the dangerous and windy pathway of sidegrades and different flavors.

I'd recommend taking some time to enjoy what you have first then start branching out. Get something with wooden cups, get some ridiculously large driver planars, get some chi-fi.

Once you have built a large collection of terrible financial decisions then it's time to build an amp collection. That's a whole other can of worms.

Please don't doxx me.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Honestly, I think the 215s have been totally outclassed in every aspect by way cheaper options at this point. Blon BL-03 is the go-to rec, it's been flavor of the month for like 6 months running. Tin T2 is a nicer package, no fit or build issues, but lighter on the bass and narrower soundstage. There are plenty more recommendations in this thread, just scroll up a bit. The BLONs can dig real deep if you want.

Little late, but good to know!

I'm pretty conservative with IEM's, if only because I've had trouble finding a pair that have decent fit and sound isolation for my ears in the past. I'll keep this in mind next time I need a new pair though.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

DancingShade posted:

I'm in a similar position to the other poster who just got the HD650 (HD6XX in my case). I'm looking into my crystal ball and foreseeing a future where I gradually purchase slightly more expensive headphones until ending up at the true high end (or rather "the high end minus the truly ridiculous electrostatics").

Strongly considering just skipping the process of getting a bunch of "mid-tier" headphones and aiming directly for something "end game", like one of the HiFiMAN or Audeze planar magnetics.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Ytlaya posted:

I'm in a similar position to the other poster who just got the HD650 (HD6XX in my case). I'm looking into my crystal ball and foreseeing a future where I gradually purchase slightly more expensive headphones until ending up at the true high end (or rather "the high end minus the truly ridiculous electrostatics").

Strongly considering just skipping the process of getting a bunch of "mid-tier" headphones and aiming directly for something "end game", like one of the HiFiMAN or Audeze planar magnetics.

Ackchyually...
https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-koss-esp-95x-electrostatic-system

these are supposedly very good if only from a sonic standpoint.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Ackchyually...

Yeah I saw those, but I imagine they really had to skimp on the amp, and I'm not sure how good a super-low-end electrostatic compares with other similarly priced headphones.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I own the Grado SR60e headphones and I'm wondering if there are better foam ear cushion things available that will fit them. I'm also curious if anyone makes something that wraps around the head band and provides cushioning between your head and the hard plastic/metal. Right now I just have an old wash cloth wrapped around it and taped on. I'm on the spectrum and so hypersensitive to touch so any improvement in comfort would be awesome. They sound good enough for me, but they're not the most comfortable thing. Thanks!

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Desert Bus posted:

I own the Grado SR60e headphones and I'm wondering if there are better foam ear cushion things available that will fit them. I'm also curious if anyone makes something that wraps around the head band and provides cushioning between your head and the hard plastic/metal. Right now I just have an old wash cloth wrapped around it and taped on. I'm on the spectrum and so hypersensitive to touch so any improvement in comfort would be awesome. They sound good enough for me, but they're not the most comfortable thing. Thanks!

I’m assuming you’ve got what Grado calls the “comfy” pads. You can wash them with dish soap and soften them up. You can also get the Grado “bowl pads” that higher-tier Grados come with, depending on where your discomfort is.

The bowls at least don’t sit fully on the ears, but they aren’t big enough to fully fit around a normal ear. I think you can still get cheap third party knockoffs from “earzonks” on amazon.

Another option are the yellow sennheiser 414 pads. There’s a bunch of info about those on Head-Fi. They alter the sound a bit but it’s a popular option and they’re cheap.

I don’t remember anything specific about the headband because it never bothered me, but I think there’s a Beyer or Sennheiser pad that fits over it too.

tldr search “grado mods” on headfi.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

As a HD650 owner I can recommend using equalizer - I just this week started using these settings and holy moly it is like I have new cans.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

eddiewalker posted:

I’m assuming you’ve got what Grado calls the “comfy” pads. You can wash them with dish soap and soften them up. You can also get the Grado “bowl pads” that higher-tier Grados come with, depending on where your discomfort is.

The bowls at least don’t sit fully on the ears, but they aren’t big enough to fully fit around a normal ear. I think you can still get cheap third party knockoffs from “earzonks” on amazon.

Another option are the yellow sennheiser 414 pads. There’s a bunch of info about those on Head-Fi. They alter the sound a bit but it’s a popular option and they’re cheap.

I don’t remember anything specific about the headband because it never bothered me, but I think there’s a Beyer or Sennheiser pad that fits over it too.

tldr search “grado mods” on headfi.

Awesome, thanks for the info!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Sorbus posted:

As a HD650 owner I can recommend using equalizer - I just this week started using these settings and holy moly it is like I have new cans.

I actually really like the 'sennheiser veil' or whatever it's called.
That being said they certainly have enough clarity and capability that you can EQ the gently caress out of them and get whatever you want.

The only thing they can't really do like a pair of huge closed backed cans is rattle your brain with bass.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Ackchyually...

Funny story about those.

Remember the Audeze LDC-2C? They started off life as a Massdrop version of the LCD-2. Then Audeze went "nah let's sell them ourselves instead" and pulled out of the deal. So Massdrop went and made a new deal with Koss to sell their electrostatics instead.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Latest chi-fi hype that delivers the goods: TRN BA5. Really well tuned, with above average detail, sound stage, and layering for something under $50. Really good for vocals. Bass has good impact and detail, although as a cheap all BA set it doesn't have super deep sub bass extension. Just as a comparison, it sounds much nicer than any KZ I've owned (I don't have the latest and greatest KZ ZSX, which are supposedly very good). Only bummer, which is pretty major, is that TRN are notorious for quality control problems, and there have been some reports of dead drivers and people having units temporarily fail due to moisture build-up in the shells.

I got a good set, thankfully, and they're really nice. The build quality, comfort and appearance are all positives for me too. I guess I'll just never take them outside.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Trip report on the Monoprice M300: Fantastic sound quality, clearly designed by someone who's never seen a human ear.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Sorbus posted:

Ohh this is nice. Anyone else have hd650 equilizer settings they recommend?

Also is there a good sciencey article explaining why headphone amps make everything sound so much better but it isnt just about making it more loud.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
So I loaned my Sennheiser earbuds that I've had for 15 years to my wife and she broke them. Who makes a decent pair of earbuds now that won't break the bank? I swear I remember paying $25-$30 for them back then.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Bit of a random question. Got my BLONS, quite happy with them. Sound fine from my phone headphone jack, but when I plug them into my work laptop, they sound really thin and terrible. It must be a setting somewhere in my laptop, but after some Googling, I still didn't figure it out. How can I get my laptop jack to sound natural, as this is definately not what these headphones are capable of doing. It's a Lenovo laptop on windows 10....thank you!

Edit - fixed it. Had to disable some windows 'sound enhancements' which were doing their own thing.

henpod fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Dec 16, 2019

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My dad asked what I wanted for Christmas and I decided that it would be nice to have a good quality set of headphones that I can use while playing Xbox and my partner can use when they're watching Netflix and I want to listen to podcasts.

What are some options I could consider? We have a TCL TV and Xbox One X, if that helps.

Edit: Preferably something without a mic, as I don't play online usually

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Ohh this is nice. Anyone else have hd650 equilizer settings they recommend?

Also is there a good sciencey article explaining why headphone amps make everything sound so much better but it isnt just about making it more loud.

Here's the big fat master list of headphone EQ corrections. These will correct your headphones to the Harman target, you can tweak from there as a starting point or just leave it and enjoy: https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/wiki/index/list_of_presets

Tyll did a great write up back in the day about why amps are important: https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/ultimate-headphone-guide-articles-what-headphone-amplifier-and-why-do-i-need-one

the tl:dr is: 1: big discrete components are almost always quieter and more efficient than embedded silicon, 2: even if your headphones don't need all the power all the time, having headroom means that volume peaks don't clip or distort, and 3: impedance matters

The last part of the equation is your DAC, but I'm gonna solve that for you real fuckin fast: get the Apple USB-C to 3.5mm adapter for $8. If you don't have a USB-C port, just get an adapter for another $4. That thing has better SNR than the $400 Chord Mojo, you do not need to spend more on a DAC.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

If you're on an Android, the Meizu Hi-Fi DAC is also a good choice: https://www.0db.co.kr/index.php?mid=REVIEW_0DB&category=184&document_srl=1005449

Cleaner output and more power on an Android device. It's more expensive than the Apple adapter, but it's still only $25.

You could also spring for the Pro version, which has a stronger amp and (slightly) cleaner output.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
hahaha holy poo poo you guys my 6xx came in and are an obvious and immediate improvement on my 598se, esp at the price I got them for.

my source is pc with a xonar stx, for reference.

Mang Tomas
Jan 9, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Ackchyually...

Are the Koss ESP 95X's a great value? I am kinda on the same boat with a HD-650 and a Monoprice M1060 and been saving up for an Audeze LCD Classic.
Wonder if anyone who has these headphones can give a short review.

Do they come close as to what a high end electrostatic headphone should sound like?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

grack posted:

If you're on an Android, the Meizu Hi-Fi DAC is also a good choice: https://www.0db.co.kr/index.php?mid=REVIEW_0DB&category=184&document_srl=1005449

Cleaner output and more power on an Android device. It's more expensive than the Apple adapter, but it's still only $25.

You could also spring for the Pro version, which has a stronger amp and (slightly) cleaner output.

I dunno about cleaner, but definitely more power yeah. To be clear, I'm recommending the Apple DAC for desktop use as well, basically anything that can talk USB that doesn't have a good line out. If you're just looking for a line level signal to your amp, it's the best $8 you can spend.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Dogen posted:

hahaha holy poo poo you guys my 6xx came in and are an obvious and immediate improvement on my 598se, esp at the price I got them for.

my source is pc with a xonar stx, for reference.

Grats! That feeling of "holy poo poo, obvious upgrade!" is to be savoured and enjoyed at length.

The worst is when you spend big dollarydoos and get "yeah it's good but... *obvious flaw*".

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Thank you to the goon who recommended the BLONS (Yes, another BLON post).

I'm not an audiophile, so I can't tell you about bass rumble, delay, roll off, fartmetrics or whatever. I just needed an affordable, good earphone to play from my ipod and phone.

These things are really, really good. The bass is strong and warm (but not too much) and everything else sounds good too. I tried it with really dense music such as Fleshgod Apocalypse, and some electrical music and they sounded great with everything. They find the details in the music very nicely.

The only thing, like everyone says, it takes a fair amount of work to get the fit right. I had to:

- Cut little rings from another eartip to extend the reach of the nozzle.
- Try about 5 pairs of eartips until I found ones that fit. And even then I gotta wiggle and turn them until the seal comes in with the bass. I ended up using the ones from my previous Final Audio earphones which seem to fit well.
- Cut away the preformed plastic earhooks from the cable, which was a real ballache. I like to wear earphones down, so I eventually managed. Cable seems fine, tangles easily, so I just used electrical tape to bring together the long, individual wires for left and right.

So yeah, they are really finicky to get right. But once you do, they are really great. If you want great sound for less than 50 bucks, go for these.

henpod fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Dec 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop

Mang Tomas posted:

Are the Koss ESP 95X's a great value? I am kinda on the same boat with a HD-650 and a Monoprice M1060 and been saving up for an Audeze LCD Classic.
Wonder if anyone who has these headphones can give a short review.

Do they come close as to what a high end electrostatic headphone should sound like?

I don't have any of the headphones you have, just the HD 600s, but I'll do a crappy write up. The 95x are a good value on virtue of being effectively a headphone/amp combo at a nice entry point, but I can't personally recommend them to someone with 600/650/6xx. The imaging is a tad better and they're a bit brighter at the expense of having a cheap feeling build. Personally they feel like a slight upgrade at best and a sidegrade at worst.