Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Sir Lemming posted:

This is from the new Flying Colors that came out last week and it is Toto AF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bbhn25fUjUM

Rest of the album is good too, my only complaint is it's kind of "the first album but better". But I mean, it is better, so.

I liked the first album but the second was a dud for me so I am fine with this. It really is just a tighter debut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
New Leprous is out today. Haven't spun it yet because I'm saving it for running in the morning

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017
exercising to prog, lol. don't trip over your feet when it switches to 7/8

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Kevin Palpatine posted:

Prog is perfect for exercise. 3 songs and your hour workout is done.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Kevin Palpatine posted:

Lol- I was hoping to use the new Alcest but it was a touch too short at 42 minutes. Leprous came in just long enough for run and cool down. Really good btw

Edit- Alcest woulda been great though. Running through a foggy cemetery as dawn break to that would’ve been super cool

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Bench Pressing to the Dance Of Eternity is how I ended up with one extremely swole arm and one arm microscopically thin

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Just got the Zonder Wehrkamp album and it's... Kind of disappointing. It lacks the more upbeat and riff-driven parts that ground and give direction to Fates Warning and Shadow Gallery albums. This leaves me cold.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

tote up a bags posted:

Bench Pressing to the Dance Of Eternity is how I ended up with one extremely swole arm and one arm microscopically thin

Is that what you tell people?

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

*opens wallet, empties all monies*

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

XBenedict posted:

*opens wallet, empties all monies*

My friend Markus is playing touch guitar on this Devin Townsend tour, he says the band is amazing. Here next month so will give review

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I'm seeing Devin and Haken in Cardiff at the beginning of December, very excited. I bought the tickets before finding out Haken were supporting and it made me twice as excited.

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010

Rust Martialis posted:

My friend Markus is playing touch guitar on this Devin Townsend tour, he says the band is amazing. Here next month so will give review

Aw you're good friends with Markus? He has an amazing discography himself. Always glad to see touch guitar get more exposure so hopefully more info and decent prices can happen haha. Maybe I'll buy a touch guitar when I finish my Ph.D.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

New Flower Kings did you say?

It’s a bit poppier than I like, but I’ll hope that the rest of the album is better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTG_poL6WVM

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
Well, this certainly is something:

Thank You Scientist - Party All the Time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EJ4uakszWc

Also probably going to Prognosis festival in The Netherlands next year

Some highlights:
KATATONIA
ANATHEMA
LONG DISTANCE CALLING
SONS OF APOLLO

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
It's the 45th anniversary of The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway today! I somehow never get tired of this album despite it being my most listened to of Genesis' discog. Part of me wishes they had made more like it but it's the perfect capstone for the end of the Peter Gabriel era.

iirc Tony Banks was not a big fan of this album, but it's some of his strongest work. I love every rapidfire synth and organ solo.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Turambar posted:

Well, this certainly is something:

Thank You Scientist - Party All the Time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EJ4uakszWc

Also probably going to Prognosis festival in The Netherlands next year

Some highlights:
KATATONIA
ANATHEMA
LONG DISTANCE CALLING
SONS OF APOLLO

Hot drat I need to try and align a business trip with this and go - don't sleep on Bruce Soord (of The Pineapple Thief), I saw him last year and he was pretty great. Voyager's new album is also pretty good (their Leprous / Haken / Caligula's Horse influences got a bit too strong but still solid) and Enslaved put on a good show too.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Sourdough Sam posted:

It's the 45th anniversary of The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway today! I somehow never get tired of this album despite it being my most listened to of Genesis' discog. Part of me wishes they had made more like it but it's the perfect capstone for the end of the Peter Gabriel era.

iirc Tony Banks was not a big fan of this album, but it's some of his strongest work. I love every rapidfire synth and organ solo.

Like most double albums, it really needed to be edited down to two or three sides, imo.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:

hexwren posted:

Like most double albums, it really needed to be edited down to two or three sides, imo.

That's true. There are a handful of songs I have no problem skipping every time. "Counting Out Time" being the repeat offender. Even certain songs that I like don't need to be as long as they are. The first and last 20 minutes of the album are my go-to.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Sourdough Sam posted:

There are a handful of songs I have no problem skipping every time. "Counting Out Time" being the repeat offender
something something he only lasts fifty-two seconds or however long it was

(is that song actually autobiographical because I don't want to Google it and spoil the hope that it is)

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Seeing Devin Townsend and Haken tonight, my first big gig in decades. Hoping I don't get too much off the albums between Ghost and Empath (which was a massive return to form IMO), but I'm sure I'll enjoy it whatever they play. Haken can play anything, I don't think they've put out a sub par album yet.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

il_cornuto posted:

Seeing Devin Townsend and Haken tonight, my first big gig in decades. Hoping I don't get too much off the albums between Ghost and Empath (which was a massive return to form IMO), but I'm sure I'll enjoy it whatever they play. Haken can play anything, I don't think they've put out a sub par album yet.

If you hang around and Markus comes out, tell him "hi from Copenhagen". Enjoy the Hawaiian shirts

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I've been checking out more prog and was really surprised with Peter Gabriel's Up. The creativity and ambition of that album make it a classic in my eyes. After that I checked out Bittersweet from David Rhodes (a guitarist who frequently worked with Gabriel) and that is a pretty solid album. It's definitely a guitarist's prog album but I mean that in a good way. Good guitar up and down the record.

By the way has anyone checked out that grand Odyssey: The Greatest Tale album? I gave it a skim but wasn't feeling it. I just think it's impressive that a handful of prog bands came together and made a nearly four hour album.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

DoubleCakes posted:

By the way has anyone checked out that grand Odyssey: The Greatest Tale album? I gave it a skim but wasn't feeling it. I just think it's impressive that a handful of prog bands came together and made a nearly four hour album.

I praise the idea, but the band lineup was pretty average.

Edit:

If you want a better example of this kind of thing, I would recommend trying to find "Peter and the Wolf", a prog collaboration featuring the likes of Phil Collins, Bill Bruford, Manfred Mann, Stephane loving Grapelli, Garry Moore, Andy Pyle, Brian Eno, just to name a few. If you can find a copy, it's a great add to any collection.

Edit 2: Someone was kind enough to put it on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTsbzf7uQDs

XBenedict fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 5, 2019

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Something I really like which I've pretty much only seen prog bands do is release re-imagined versions of their material.

This year I got really into OSI and have been listening to their first 3 albums a lot, and I just figured out that they have an EP called Re: Free which takes 3 songs from Free and just completely re-writes them as if they were new songs. I was really happy to find that out.

I've also listened extensively in the past to Cynic's Re-Traced which does the same with songs from Traced in Air and Tesseract's Perspective, an acoustic-with-drums rendition of One. Any other bands/albums I should check in that vein?

I guess a comedy option would be Futile Bread Machine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4EH52v7tVI

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Although I’m not a big fan of the concept, I have to admit that Pain of Salvations newest version of Stress is pretty awesome.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xBTNe73KhG8

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Acquired the Gentle Giant "Unburied Treasure" boxed set which comes with all the studio albums and an absurd number of live recordings (admittedly a chunk of which are based off audience recordings, but still) and a really nice selection of extras. (Particularly exciting: you get the full tapes from the four concerts which fed into the Playing the Fool live album, so there's that.)

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Is there a good amount of live material from Interview in listenable quality then?

Edit: Durr, missed the tracklisting. A few performances of Interview and Timing, at least. I'm interested in that Power and the Glory-era performance of Mister Class and Quality? though. One of the weakest tracks on Three Friends, but still, I didn't know they'd performed it live at all.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Dec 8, 2019

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Having rearranged the CDs in my box to go in chronological of recording, I'd say that the bulk of the live material spans the period from Octopus to post-Interview (so 1972 to 1976). Naturally, the early days of the band are quite sparsely represented (though the 1971 gig is supposed to be in quite good audio quality at least), and then things seem to tail off very suddenly once you hit 1977, with only two live concerts (three if you include the Pinewood rehearsals) from that period in the set. Which is a little sad but doesn't seem entirely unfair given that the band seemed to be on the wane at that point.

As far as specifically Interview-era stuff, like I said you get both Playing the Fool in its original configuration and the complete tapes (such as they are) from each show. (Don't be fooled by Breakdown In Brussels not being listed on the live Brussels tape - that was apparently midway through Timing, when they had a power outage which killed the non-acoustic instruments; all the tracks which are on Playing the Fool also appears on the disc for the original concerts in their original contexts, which is pretty sweet.) Plus there's the Pinewood rehearsals, which I guess also count as Interview-era.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Well, I said I'd post when news broke, but here you go, Introduction to Guitar Circle is open for registration.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3156737331008942&id=100000181177250

https://robertfrippsguitarcircle.com/

I was hoping to attend but am highly ambivalent at best now.

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

Rust Martialis posted:

I was hoping to attend but am highly ambivalent at best now.

Why's that? Is something different this year?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

teen bear posted:

Why's that? Is something different this year?

I know the people running it, they're really wonderful Crafties, and they were in it, many of them, from almost if not Day 1. I joined Guitar Craft very very late, but the aspect of GC I enjoyed the most was the fact the courses were self-staffed. You went, and you did everything from playing music to cooking and serving the food to cleaning the place, it was 'everyone shares the work' in a soft of Gurdjieffian/Bennett sense of The Work is important. In the early days, there weren't beds or always hot water (well before my day). You were part of the team, and your contribution was just as important as the music. No food = no music! Also, for those from less affluent countries there were discounts for the course, so there were always a lot of people from Mexico, Argentina, or Chile even in the US courses. It was affordable to actual musicians. It was a big extended family.

This is something else. I might still go, but I currently lack an Aim. Aim is important.

Sorry for the pseudo-Crafty crap. It will be an amazing opportunity to see things up close, hear from Robert, etc. He's a truly wonderful, kind man, and it has been a privilege to know him even tangentially.

Doctor Eckhart
Dec 23, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Sir Lemming posted:

This is from the new Flying Colors that came out last week and it is Toto AF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bbhn25fUjUM

Rest of the album is good too, my only complaint is it's kind of "the first album but better". But I mean, it is better, so.

I caught Flying Colors on their recent tour, and they were incredible! I think their new album encompasses a wider variety of genres than their previous two, and I have more appreciation for it after hearing it performed live. Casey McPherson told a great story about how his experiences rescuing people trapped by the flood in Atlanta inspired You Are Not Alone.

I discovered Flying Colors and some other great prog bands through listening to Spock's Beard from a recommendation on this forum maybe 15 years ago. I immediately bought Snow after reading that it was similar to The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. My Dad was always a fan of 70s prog and Snow convinced him that the genre wasn't dead, and we've been prog gig buddies ever since!

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Newest Xmas gift

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I saw a post on a prog FB group about what he thought were the best albums of the year. I have no idea how good or bad they are but it gives me lots to listen to!

quote:

Here is my take on the best Prog albums of 2019

1. The Flower Kings - Waiting For Miracles

2. Hasse Froberg & Musical Companion - Parallel Life

3. Yes - From A Page

4. Jon Anderson - 1000 Hands

5. Steve Hackett - At The Edge of Light

6. Neal Morse Band - The Great Adventure

7. Neal Morse Band - Jesus Christ The Exorcist

8. Flying Colors - Third Degree

9. Big Big Train - Grand Tour

10. IQ - Resistance

11. Eloy - The Vision, The Sword And The Pyre, Part II

12. In Continuum - Anihilation Theory, Part I

13. RPWL - Tales From Outer Space

14. Dream Theater - Distance Over Time

15. Jordan Rudess - Wired For Madness

16. Nad Sylvan - The Regal Bastard

17. Magic Pie - Fragments Of The 5th Element

18. Lonely Robot - Under Stars

19. Izz - Dont' Panic

20. Pattern-Seeking Animals - Pattern-Seeking Animals

21. Phil Lanzon - 48 Seconds

22. Thank You Scientist - Terraformer

23. Focus - Focus 11

24. Cosmograf - Mind Over Depth

25. Alan Parsons - The Secret

Doctor Eckhart
Dec 23, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Seventh Arrow posted:

I saw a post on a prog FB group about what he thought were the best albums of the year. I have no idea how good or bad they are but it gives me lots to listen to!

Lots of good bands on that list! I can recommend those two new Neal Morse albums. Plus Similitude of a Dream, which is a sequel to The Great Adventure (both double albums, good old prog eh?)

I find The Prog Report podcast and MOROW radio helpful for discovering new music.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Seventh Arrow posted:

The Flower Kings album was fantastic, but the Big Big Train album was probably the best of the lot.

I can confirm that the Eloy is fantastic as well. DOT is the best DT album in years, and Steve Hackett is the King. The Yes album is pretty good, but nowhere near that good.

Doctor Eckhart
Dec 23, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
What prog gigs are y’all excited for in 2020?

This is what I have so far:

IQ - I actually haven’t yet heard their new album, but if it’s as dark and weird as the rest of their stuff I’m sure it’ll be great.

The Watch - If you’re a Genesis fan and haven’t heard of this band, go listen to them right now and get yourself to one of their gigs if you can. They often do shows that consist of full Genesis albums/tours and their original stuff is seriously underrated.

Jethro Tull - I’ve seen them/Ian Anderson several times and it’s always a good show. I have my favourites but I literally don’t care what they play from their back catalogue as it’s all good.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I gave Mystery another shot but still didn't like them. Chalk them up as a prog band I won't ever get into. My latest sortie was The World Is A Game which had some cool bits but was mostly a bore. Ah well!

I also checked out The Flower Kings' Desolation Rose which I didn't like much either but Sleeping Bones was a killer track.

In good prog news I listened to The Death Defying Unicorn from Motorpsycho and Ståle Storløkken and that's one of the most impressive prog releases I ever heard. It's very ambitious but competent enough to reach those ambitions.

I was already familiar with Zs going into their early work. Now they're more of an experimental rock, noise rock, avant-jazz band but their 2007 album Arms is probably their proggiest and out of all their early material (pre-New Slaves) that album does the most for me. I don't know what exactly about Zs makes their style of brutal prog so palatable but they're really doing it for me.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Seeing the news go round twitter that Neil Peart has died. Time to spin some Rush this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/RollingStone/status/1215740014493097988