Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Grandad was a D-Day paratrooper who finished the war in the Pacific theater. Was a real rear end in a top hat, but can't say he wasn't a war hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

My grandpa got to work on installation and testing of the silver plate b-29s instruments.

E: he was enlisted as an airman of some kind but by 1944 / 45 was back stateside just working on planes.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
My mom's dad was a army engineer in the Pacific during WW2

My ex father in law fought in Italy during WW2

My dad was Il national guard and deployed to Chicago twice in 1968 for the MLK riots and again during the DNC riots.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
One of my grandfathers ended up in the North Atlantic 3 times until they figured out he enlisted under his cousins name and was only 16.

My other Grandfather enlisted pre-war, was stationed in Iceland just before the war with Germany, was a radar/Radio operator on PBY's out of Morocco, got some assists on a couple of U boats, then got TDY'd to some admiral and flew all around Africa, then they were set to reassign him to the Pacific in carrier Aviation. So one of his buddies from pre-war was an officer now and had some pull, he wrote to him wanting to well not go to the Pacific and his buddy hooked him up and stationed him in NYC.

POG life.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Itchy_Grundle posted:

My wife’s grandpa did exactly the same thing—Seabee who did a lot of cargo work. Was that common?

No idea. He thought he was going to be building buildings since he went in as an E-6 because he was an experienced framer and had done a ton of work in the new deal work camps. He said most of the people they put on the cranes were horrible at it so he tried it once and...well you know how it goes when you show a slight amount of competence at a thing in the military. That is now your main loving job no matter what now.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

My wife’s grandfather was an army air reserve officer on his AT in pearl when poo poo kicked off and he ended up staying the length of war. Was in charge of a bunch of women dealing with asset tracking in the pacific. Stuck in a small TS village with them. Ended up dating more than half of them including my wife’s future grandmother.

He retired as a full bird in the 60s.

On my moms side of the family my great uncle retired an e8 after serving in both WW2 and Korea.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

ded posted:

No idea. He thought he was going to be building buildings since he went in as an E-6 because he was an experienced framer and had done a ton of work in the new deal work camps. He said most of the people they put on the cranes were horrible at it so he tried it once and...well you know how it goes when you show a slight amount of competence at a thing in the military. That is now your main loving job no matter what now.

"Can Do!", the history of the Bees stand up through around 44 talks about it, they needed steveadores so they grabbed men and threw them at it and it worked out. Like, Battalion's worth of men were voluntold to do it.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

There are still civil war pensions being paid in 2019.

How the gently caress is that a thing?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Going to guess:

Civil war vet married someone when he was near death (~1920’s), and somehow had a kid that’s still alive.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

bird cooch posted:

Grow to be really old and marry someone really young.

That said, I think the last "civil war widow" died a year or two ago.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bird cooch posted:

Children of surviving spouses and a gross wedding

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
My grandpa was in the Pacific and after what he went through told my dad something along the lines that he'd kill him before he deployed to Viet Nam if he got drafted. Dad found a way out.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
What's the difference between AWOL and desertion? Is it a length of time thing?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Leavemywife posted:

What's the difference between AWOL and desertion? Is it a length of time thing?

IIRC 30+ days awol equals desertion

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Icon Of Sin posted:

Going to guess:

Civil war vet married someone when he was near death (~1920’s), and somehow had a kid that’s still alive.

It's this. Civil War vet in his late 70s married a young woman in the 1920s, they had a kid who is elderly but still alive today, or was as of a few years ago.

History wasn't that long ago, which explains why some people today are shittier than you may think they should be given how "civilized" we are now.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What's a civil war pension even pay, $20 a month?

E: $73/month to an 88-year old daughter

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Dec 17, 2019

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Isn't desertion also during a time of war or armed conflict, or to avoid hazardous duty?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Go check out the one about John Tyler's grandsons.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

if you bank with USAA then you're basically in the military

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

colachute posted:

if you bank with USAA then you're basically in the military

Hi grover, have you seen the podcast about your house yet?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Grandpa's story is a bit muddled. It sounds like he was going to be drafted during Korea, so he joined the Marines instead. Then they moved him to the reserves because his job at the railroad was considered essential to the national defense. He spent some time in Hawaii and that's about it. He hated it.

Mom and dad joined the Air Force in the early 80s because the economy really sucked. Dad did 8, 1 being an unaccompanied tour in Korea that ended right after Desert Storm was over. There were rumors flying around that he wouldn't be allowed out and might be sent to Iraq immediately afterwards, obviously it didn't happen. He wishes he'd finished out his time in the guard or reserves and had another retirement coming to him. Mom did 7ish active, got out for 12, and joined the guard a couple months before 9/11. She finished out her career and starts getting her retirement in a few months.

No real heroics in our family.

Edit: My cousin managed to get tossed out of the army in 2005 or thereabouts for going AWOL. Might have actually been desertion since it seems unlikely that you'd be outright kicked out for regular AWOL during the height of Iraq. Her sister didn't learn anything from this and joined after her sister had been kicked out. My aunt claimed that she got an early honorable discharge because her army boyfriend beat her up. I have my doubts since my aunt told everyone a couple of years ago that domestic violence ended her marriage. Which was correct in a way. Except my cousin beat up her husband, he got custody of the kids, and she's apparently a junkie.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 17, 2019

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

LingcodKilla posted:

My wife’s grandfather was an army air reserve officer on his AT in pearl when poo poo kicked off and he ended up staying the length of war. Was in charge of a bunch of women dealing with asset tracking in the pacific. Stuck in a small TS village with them. Ended up dating more than half of them including my wife’s future grandmother.

He retired as a full bird in the 60s.

On my moms side of the family my great uncle retired an e8 after serving in both WW2 and Korea.

What's a TS village

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

my grandfather was drafted during korea. i have his draft letter here and his basic training yearbook from fort devens

he was a quartermaster in the army. served his time in france. lucky dude and he died right after i took my oath, he was all about it it.his brother was a navy firefighter.

my dad grew his hair long and listened to john fogerty.

i tell my kids that i don't want them enlisting. I served so they wouldn't have to.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Milo and POTUS posted:

What's a TS village

Super secure (for the time) small compound that housed all the people working in tracking fleet movement. They got weekend passes to go to Honolulu but otherwise they had to stay on the compound.

IE top secret

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
I'm pretty sure I posted this before but I'm a seventh generation veteran. all the men in my family have done at least one term of service, with my last name and my family's heritage I don't really want to look too far into it.

This will be the end of that chain with my daughter hopefully.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

LingcodKilla posted:

Super secure (for the time) small compound that housed all the people working in tracking fleet movement. They got weekend passes to go to Honolulu but otherwise they had to stay on the compound.

IE top secret

Keep a black light away from that place, gotcha

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

https://twitter.com/USArmyPAO/status/1206725290992570368

fuckin laffo, why would you do this

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Reading the post on the DoD page, it looks like they're going for a "how we were seen through the eyes of our enemy" angle. Which, in and of itself, isn't a bad idea. Illustrating it with a giant glamour shot of the Head Nazi In Charge probably isn't the best choice given the current climate.

"This post is the first in a series that will tell the entire story of the Battle of the Bulge through January 22nd."

Hopefully it ends with a photo of him dead in a ditch or something.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

What the gently caress ?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

jfc the DoD facebook even.

https://www.facebook.com/114648515718/posts/10157980079840719/?d=n

Apparently that's Joachim Peiper

quote:

The Malmedy massacre was a war crime committed by members of Kampfgruppe Peiper (part of the 1st SS Panzer Division), a German combat unit led by Joachim Peiper, at Baugnez crossroads near Malmedy, Belgium, on December 17, 1944, during the Battle of the Bulge. According to numerous eyewitness accounts, 84 American prisoners of war were massacred by their German captors: the prisoners were assembled in a field and shot with machine guns.

France eventually, prevailed.

quote:

Residing in France since 1972, Peiper led a quiet and discreet life; however, he continued to use his given name. In 1974, he was identified by a former Communist resistance member of the region who issued a report for the French Communist Party. In 1976, a Communist historian, investigating the Gestapo archives, found the Peiper file.[126] On 21 June, tracts denouncing his presence were distributed in Traves. A day later, an article in the communist newspaper L'Humanité revealed Peiper's presence in Traves and he received threats that his house would be burned down and his dogs killed.[127]

On receipt of these threats, Peiper, who remained in Traves, sent his family back to Germany. During the night of 13/14 July 1976 (Bastille Day), Peiper's home was attacked. In the ruins, Peiper's charred corpse was found together with a .22 calibre rifle and a pistol.[121] The perpetrators were never identified.[127]

That Works fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 17, 2019

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Well that's certain a social media post. Someone needs to sit that PA dude down and have a chat.

Dad fixed F-106s, 15s, 16s, A-10s, B-52s, and C-130s, then became a cop and spent most of the next 20 as a personal crimes detective. A couple of uncles (twins) did air assault stuff in Vietnam. One grandpa was in during Korea but I don't think he was over there, other grandpa was in the ETO; his wife/my grandma's first husband died on Bataan. He was an abusive alcoholic whom she hadn't seen for the last couple of years before he joined/got drafted. They just never bothered going through with the divorce, then it just sorta worked itself out.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
My great great grandfather was a general in the Tzar’s army who left around the time of the revolution to go to Czechoslovakia. When the nazis took over, my great grandfather, who was a then a civil engineer, helped blow up bridges he designed.

Both my grandpas were in the USAF as maintainers. A great uncle died over Vietnam or Laos flying for the USAF. My other great uncle lost his arm in Vietnam. My uncles were in the marines and navy. My cousins were in Iraq at the same time as me as a marine and a corpsman. My former marine uncle was also in Iraq at the same time as a govt civilian.

I managed to talk my brother out of joining as a medic in like 2009ish. I’ll do the same for my kid unless she wants to be like a USAF vending machine restocker or something shamtastic like that.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

There are still civil war pensions being paid in 2019.

Really? How the gently caress.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Y I K E S

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

My great Uncle was a sub captain during ww2. He was stationed at pearl when it got attacked but he and his crew were out to sea before it started. My great aunt was on her way to (or getting read for?) church when things popped off and from their housing on a hillside got to watch the 1st wave of poo poo come in before they hid in a wooded area for a while before hunkering down with other civilians.

I remember getting to talk to her about it when I was 14 or so before she passed.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Flying_Crab posted:

bird cooch posted:

Icon Of Sin posted:

Going to guess:

hobbesmaster posted:

Grow to be really old and marry someone really young.

That said, I think the last "civil war widow" died a year or two ago.

FAUXTON posted:

Children of surviving spouses and a gross wedding

A Bad Poster posted:

It's this. Civil War vet in his late 70s married a young woman in the 1920s, they had a kid who is elderly but still alive today, or was as of a few years ago.

History wasn't that long ago, which explains why some people today are shittier than you may think they should be given how "civilized" we are now.

Slim Pickens posted:

What's a civil war pension even pay, $20 a month?

E: $73/month to an 88-year old daughter

FAUXTON posted:

Go check out the one about John Tyler's grandsons.

Deja vu

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Flying_Crab posted:

__________/

I definitely enjoy imagining this being said by a pissed off General Sherman.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

piL posted:

quote:

ya I was aware of those stories but I'm still incredulous that one of them is still alive today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Hopefully it ends with a photo of him dead in a ditch or something.

lived until the 1970s when some frenchies got payback

edit: or some Candians or whoever took a field trip