Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

zoux posted:

WHen has there ever been a famous and successful TV show about nothing

What's the deal with blue milk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bill Burr, Clancy Brown, Natalia Tena and Richard Ayoade from the final scene of The Mandalorian episode The Prisoner

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

PunkBoy posted:

What's the deal with blue milk?

If she can't find me, she can't break up with me kill my little goblin son.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Bust Rodd posted:

In the first season of the WB’s Smallville, the director and the show runner gave an interview where they stated that their motto for the series as they saw it was “No flights, no tights” because they wanted the series stay grounded and keep the viewer empathizing with Clark despite him being a Demi-God.

It was a really dumb decision for them to keep rolling with for as long as they did, though. Like, he should have had the costume in season three or four at the latest.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tom Welling drove that decision pretty hard as well, he didn't want to get shoehorned into superhero roles (a hearty lol from all of us in the post MCU world) and would really balk whenever they wanted him to do more comic book-y stuff.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I hope Mando gets a gun that shoots lightsabers.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Forgemistress: I will use these kyber crystals to forge you a lightsaber gun, but use it sparingly for with Illum and Jedha gone, they are nearly priceless.

*Mandolorian mag-dumps the lightsaber gun at mooks in the same episode.*

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah I noticed he blew some of his Whistling Birds on missing Clancy Brown, he's gonna regret that when he gets to the final boss.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

Tom Welling drove that decision pretty hard as well, he didn't want to get shoehorned into superhero roles (a hearty lol from all of us in the post MCU world) and would really balk whenever they wanted him to do more comic book-y stuff.

Of course, he said all that and then went off and chose a remake of Carpenter's The Fog as his first big movie gig and it completely tanked his career.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

Yeah I noticed he blew some of his Whistling Birds on missing Clancy Brown, he's gonna regret that when he gets to the final boss.

If the show was more realistic, he'd hoard all of them and then not use them in the last fight.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Mando used every Megalixer immediately in Final Fantasy VII.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

davidspackage posted:

If the show was more realistic, he'd hoard all of them and then not use them in the last fight.

I remember an old survival horror game, Eternal Darkness, where the setup is a time-hopping anthology covering like 2000+ years where you play as different characters who interacted with the Necronomicon. The Book of Eternal Darkness. Most of the chapters you'd get like... a sword, or a flintlock, or a revolver. One of the chapters you start with a fire axe and find a fully loaded battle rifle with underslung grenade launcher (XM29 OICW). I got through the entire chapter using just the axe, never using a single bullet or grenade, certain that I'd have to fight Cthulhu himself. There actually wasn't a "boss" type encounter and I'm convinced they set that up as a troll.

My friends even came up with a parable about this phenomenon. Little Timmy, The Boy Who Saved And Never Threw ANY of His Grenades. (He was shot down dead, with a bandoleer full of grenades.)

ProTip: Save your Whistling Birds for phase 2 of the Moff Gideon boss fight, when he gets in his TIE Fighter.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

PunkBoy posted:

Mando used every Megalixer immediately in Final Fantasy VII.

That's because he's a pro who knows that once you get to the legit enemies amateur poo poo like Megalixer ain't gonna save you.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Replace his flamethrower with like 3 lightsabers.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It's more like a catapult, so you get a bit of an arc and they spin.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

He doesn't need to save anything. He's walking around in a mid level zone in raid gear. Nothing can touch him.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Sash! posted:

He doesn't need to save anything. He's walking around in a mid level zone in raid gear. Nothing can touch him.

2.1 patch notes
- Fixed a bug that would let low level bounty hunters complete a questline that awarded an epic quality armor set meant as endgame pre-raid gear.
- Adjusted the fire resist on the Devaronian mini boss in the prison ship instance to make the encounter more manageable for wrist-flamer specced characters.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

That Forbes article criticizing it for not being a “prestige show” really just highlights the problems with a lot of those “prestige shows.”

Can you honestly name one other than Breaking Bad that was actually properly written and plotted out from start to finish? The Game of Thrones creators admitted after the fact that they had no idea what they were doing and letting the actors develop their own characters, and just farted out a lame ending. Lost quickly became convoluted and confusing. Walking Dead is still spinning its wheels, repeating the same formula with no end in sight as everyone wallows in gruesome misery. It turns out developing a good show that ties dozens of episodes into a complex narrative that keeps your interest for years is really hard.

coincidentally a show that has a lot in common with The Mandalorian: Justified

though im not sure it counts since Justified started as a basic cable procedural and didn’t figure out it was really a serialized drama until like the end of Season 1. and it helps that at that point even without the whole show mapped out the creator and producer were deadset on a maximum of 6 seasons and out, so they had a finite timeline to work with and a general ending at least in tone they were working towards

like you said, the problem isn’t an inherent flaw in any particular type of media or whatever, it’s having creators who don’t know what their strengths are or how to best serve their story and try to fit a square peg into a round hole because they’re worried what audiences expect

people who like TLJ point to a movie that stands apart on this and is a true auteur piece or whatever, but it’s probably the biggest cancer that sits at the heart of the whole busted script. it’s a movie so utterly obsessed with its audience and with what their expectations and reaction is to any given moment that its too insecure to ever function properly.

its a quivering neurotic loving nerd movie that cares so much that you notice it at all times

the mandalorian isn’t perfect but it knows what it is and feels like it was written by grown up nerds who got the ok to do a show about their nerd poo poo and were like “sweet”. it’s straightforward and confident in what it is

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Nice little thing I noticed is that the egghead is named Davin which is from the EU. The 'Look sir! Droids' guy is named Davin Felth.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Bust Rodd posted:

I will shed no tears for John Boyega because he probably got paid like 10 million per movie so he’s absolutely a member of the 1% now and never has to work a day in his life. Millionaires can and should disappear into uncertainty, it’s ok. (Good God I hope he does something cool in the last flick, his plot line in TLJ was a huge bummer)

He and Daisy Ridley got paid $460,000 each for appearing in TFA. Harrison Ford got 25 million. I believe Mark Hammil got a cool 1 mil for his 5 second non-speaking role.

Ridley and Boyega reportedly made significantly more for The Last Jedi, partly because their low pay prompted criticism when it came out in the tabloids.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Donovan Trip posted:

It's a shame this is gonna be off the air a while, if you're gonna behave like a serial Western you gotta give us 45' episodes a season

They began filming season 2 just before season 1 started airing.

Add in the fact that a lot of the vfx has to be 'completed' by the time they shoot on set so it can be captured in-camera with the tv/projected backgrounds for set extensions...

Maybe they can aim for a mid 2020 release schedule. They've don't have a star wars movie in May anymore.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

chitoryu12 posted:

That Forbes article criticizing it for not being a “prestige show” really just highlights the problems with a lot of those “prestige shows.”

Can you honestly name one other than Breaking Bad that was actually properly written and plotted out from start to finish? The Game of Thrones creators admitted after the fact that they had no idea what they were doing and letting the actors develop their own characters, and just farted out a lame ending. Lost quickly became convoluted and confusing. Walking Dead is still spinning its wheels, repeating the same formula with no end in sight as everyone wallows in gruesome misery. It turns out developing a good show that ties dozens of episodes into a complex narrative that keeps your interest for years is really hard.

This show actually reminds me of a less ensemble-focused Firefly and other 90s TV from when the idea of “prestige television” started existing. There’s an overarching plot and mystery (The Child) that appears in some form in each episode, but each episode is also a relatively self-contained experience with a different concept for each. It’s not ending every episode with more questions than answers, but is clearly leaving people alive with unfinished business so they can reappear.

this. for ever 1 that works, a couple work for a while and then poo poo themselves and a even more die in the crib. i am fine with how the mandalorian is done and i like the story so far.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

He and Daisy Ridley got paid $460,000 each for appearing in TFA. Harrison Ford got 25 million. I believe Mark Hammil got a cool 1 mil for his 5 second non-speaking role.

Ridley and Boyega reportedly made significantly more for The Last Jedi, partly because their low pay prompted criticism when it came out in the tabloids.

Really not trying to make this about classism or racism but half a million dollars would solve all of my problems, buy my mom a nice house, and pay off my student loan debts with enough leftover for me to travel around the world for a year and start two small businesses. That’s plenty of money for a couple of kids who’ve never done anything with their lives outside of play pretend.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Where do you live where a “nice house” cost is achievable in that huge list of expenses with only $500k to work with?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

Really not trying to make this about classism or racism but half a million dollars would solve all of my problems, buy my mom a nice house, and pay off my student loan debts with enough leftover for me to travel around the world for a year and start two small businesses. That’s plenty of money for a couple of kids who’ve never done anything with their lives outside of play pretend.

I'd be in whatever kind of star war you wanted for a half milly, sure, but when the movie takes in 2 billion that's sort of an embarrassing short changing of the stars to enrich the execs and money men who deserve it even less.

In a perfectly ordered society maybe every member of the cast and crew from Ford to the Best Boy Grip to the Assistant to Mr. Gleeson would the same 6-7 figure payday give or take 50%, and if they fell on hard times M4A public housing and basic food assistance would be there for them. In this world we gotta settle for the charismatic thespians clawing a little more money out of the guys who's only contribution is having money and signing documents.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Where do you live where a “nice house” cost is achievable in that huge list of expenses with only $500k to work with?

South Carolina. No one ever wants to move to the boonies or the sticks so houses are dirt cheap and my mom is a little old lady, she can run her sewing business out of a 2-bed/one bath for $140,000 easy.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Bust Rodd posted:

They're not taking home a half million, their agent gets a percentage, their manager gets a percentage, their accountant gets a cut, and then there's whatever the accountant can't shield from the government in taxes. Boyega and Ridley probably wound up with half their paycheck when all was said and done. Which is a nice chunk of change, but it's not set for life money.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I actually spent some time in TV and film acting and it’s very far from an easy job. Even if you’re so naturally good that the actual line memorization and projecting fake emotions comes naturally without any effort, the standard work day is 12 hours before “overtime”. Action stars are also being paid to get themselves into the extremely good shape and highly toned bodies that the role and media demand, doing training for specialized skills like fighting, rehearsing fight scenes over and over for weeks, etc. Then there’s the constant press events, ADR for all your voiceover audio and replacing bad set audio, photo shoots, red eye flights to get everywhere you need to be, social media, etc.

The only people who get to avoid some of this are the ones who are so incredibly rich and famous that they get to dictate their own conditions and salary, so they can just give the minimal commitment and spend the rest of their time in their trailer. Daisy Ridley had fun because she likes acting and got to be the new Star Wars hero, but her job was likely grueling and very stressful from start to finish and she’ll probably be glad to finally get some drat sleep.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Was that just payment for the acting? I would imagine they also get cut a check for their likeness being used on toys, video games, fast food cups, etc etc etc

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hobo Clown posted:

Was that just payment for the acting? I would imagine they also get cut a check for their likeness being used on toys, video games, fast food cups, etc etc etc

Depends on the contract and, again, how much their agent might get.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Well I'm in Toledo OH and you can buy like 5 historic homes with that (my fiance bought ours for 60 grand but I guess it might go for 150-200 now though). I'm also only 11,000 in debt if you add everything up so basically I could retire on $500k gently caress that costal life, midwest baby!!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

hell, i'd be in a star wars, for free!

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Owlbear Camus posted:

hell, i'd be in a star wars, for free!

Lol I’m just imagining a Disney executive telling Boyega or Ridley’s agent “We’ll we cant PAY anything per say but think of the exposure!”

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I wanna be a background character in a deleted scene just so I can read the backstory novel someone makes about me on Wookieepedia

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Dr.Radical posted:

Lol I’m just imagining a Disney executive telling Boyega or Ridley’s agent “We’ll we cant PAY anything per say but think of the exposure!”
That's more or less how the industry worked before the actors unionized.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If I must: I will be the new Han Solo.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

zoux posted:

If I must: I will be the new Han Solo.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lg_FoEy8T_A

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Next challenger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut-KyLQujQA

howe_sam posted:

They're not taking home a half million, their agent gets a percentage, their manager gets a percentage, their accountant gets a cut, and then there's whatever the accountant can't shield from the government in taxes. Boyega and Ridley probably wound up with half their paycheck when all was said and done. Which is a nice chunk of change, but it's not set for life money.

Isn't the working amount closer to 40% or less?

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 17, 2019

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Acting is a poo poo job. If you’re not the one making millions, you’re the one getting barely above minimum wage at best and working almost 24/7 to afford your apartment. Moving to LA or NYC if you’re not in the absolute top of actors is a great way to end up poor there instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

chitoryu12 posted:

Acting is a poo poo job. If you’re not the one making millions, you’re the one getting barely above minimum wage at best and working almost 24/7 to afford your apartment. Moving to LA or NYC if you’re not in the absolute top of actors is a great way to end up poor there instead.

And even better, the industry you're trying to make a living in makes fun of you in movies and shows for constantly peddling your headshot and/or screenplay(s) to try and survive.