Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Mr.PayDay posted:

The concept of procedural generation is 33 years old, and obviously was limited by tech back in the day. But yeah, let’s pretend CIG delivered anything „special“ when it is just decades old industry standard and a core technique of development since the Amiga and Atari ST and Arcon Archimedes days lol

Also like... I have yet to see procedural generation deployed in a way that avoids the "This is all just meaningless repetition with slightly different colors/textures" pitfall. Apparently MW5 suffers badly from this.

But, you know, I'm sure CIG can figure out a way to make their vast, slightly different landscapes meaningful.

e: puppo dreams

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Rotten Red Rod posted:

But it's also a question mark how much longer they can extend this. Sure, every year they top themselves in funding, but costs keep going up as well - the Calder money was a windfall, but that's not always going to happen. Where are they going to be in 1 year? Another 3?

As long as the whales hope Chris Roberts lies will out of a sudden connect the modules and assets to a game, they will stay in their bubble of the sunk cost galaxy and keep on spending. They won’t give up. CIG will surrender earlier before the money stops pouring in.
The whales and Cults have one fear they want to kill with all the jpegs their money can buy:
The fear of a conclusion in a big news and games magazine that will mock them with the retrospective and review of that disastrous project with the final verdict „Derek Smart was right“.
The angst of Goons having the last laugh will motivate them so burn more money, and never end as long as CR does not pull the plug .

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
Just imagine having fought for this game 10+ years in all social media, defending all the failures and all the delays. Image having dreamt of SC and a BDSSE come true with your 10000 Dollar fleet of JPEGs. Pretending this is fine, for a decade.

Just to read CIG gives up and Derek Smart was right. After all that years you lost in that project and all that money.
Imagine them, having lost, feeling given up. All that disappointment and shattered dreams... imagine them, reading this thread then. The amount of meltdown and breakdowns will be something special. And serious.

They deserve it tho. Their point of no return was obvious, it was the refund window with our get a refund memes in 2015 and 2016.
Deal with it, having blindly followed a liar and fraud called Chris Roberts, despite all red flags.
I hope they buy several Idrisses until then to keep us entertained :gary:

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Beet Wagon posted:

Whoa, did CIG finally make an interesting looking planet or is this a graphical bug?

:iceburn:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mr.PayDay posted:

Just imagine having fought for this game 10+ years in all social media, defending all the failures and all the delays. Image having dreamt of SC and a BDSSE come true with your 10000 Dollar fleet of JPEGs. Pretending this is fine, for a decade.

Just to read CIG gives up and Derek Smart was right. After all that years you lost in that project and all that money.
Imagine them, having lost, feeling given up. All that disappointment and shattered dreams... imagine them, reading this thread then. The amount of meltdown and breakdowns will be something special. And serious.

They deserve it tho. Their point of no return was obvious, it was the refund window with our get a refund memes in 2015 and 2016.
Deal with it, having blindly followed a liar and fraud called Chris Roberts, despite all red flags.
I hope they buy several Idrisses until then to keep us entertained :gary:

Except they'll just say "Chris would have pulled it off if not for all those drat goons calling us a scam all the time!!!!"

They'll never learn. Anybody this susceptible to sunk-cost-fallacy is a broken person who will simply project all problems on others.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Beet Wagon posted:

e: puppo dreams

Dreaming of electric ships.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

Except they'll just say "Chris would have pulled it off if not for all those drat goons calling us a scam all the time!!!!"

They'll never learn. Anybody this susceptible to sunk-cost-fallacy is a broken person who will simply project all problems on others.

Yeah pretty much. That's why I don't try to predict the downfall of the game and imagine fantasies where I get to tell backers "I told you so" - they'll rationalize it away no matter what. Better to just enjoy the insane ride and mock the absurdity as it comes.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah pretty much. That's why I don't try to predict the downfall of the game and imagine fantasies where I get to tell backers "I told you so" - they'll rationalize it away no matter what. Better to just enjoy the insane ride and mock the absurdity as it comes.

The whole 'mic drop moment' is why the world is where it is, with everyone owning everyone else with sick burns.

Some of us are just document weenies waiting for reading material, though.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Prediction for 2020 : In June, A new "TopGun" film is coming out, so I predict CR will as expected, go to the place where he experiences his worst fails (Cinema) and view it. Straight after he views it, expect to see new commercials for a new F-14/15 inspired fighter jpeg that can do some fancy glitchy arobatics accompanied by the worst re-imagining of the TopGun theme tune (Full burn with extra eleccy guitar) and a TopGun inspired flight school complete with a shower facility to keep the more rapey citizens happy.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Also the easiest explanation for why people keep buying ships even after all this: the type of people dumb enough to buy ships are also the type of people dumb enough to KEEP buying ships.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Scruffpuff posted:

I believe the brain worms go about their lifecycle this way: Chris Roberts comes, hat in hand, to ask for free money to attempt to make a game. Publishers, all of them, collectively laugh him out of their offices. He then comes to the gaming public. The gaming public wonders - if his reputation is so great in the industry, funding should have been a slam dunk. But you don't understand, Chris says, those evil publishers (who evidently were not evil when he first asked them for money) are afraid of his vision, because the game he's making will be the best game ever made and the last one anyone will ever play. Ignoring the fact that, were this true, the publishers would have cut each other's throats to be attached this this project, neckbearded manchildren everywhere immediately glommed into the PC gaming revolution they were about to be a fundamental part of. The conspiracy theory of "plucky gaming hero from the past fixes the evils of an industry run amok fueled by the love and money of those who share his vision" was just too much for them.

For a lot of these miserable pricks, this will be the most meaning their lives have ever had, or could ever have; its illusory nature notwithstanding.

"So you're not really buying ships they say"
(Until someone takes the ships away)
But tithing a bit to help them build the dream
Of lust in the shadows and stimperial screams

I mean - back in 2012, where we were starting to feel that the DLC levels are getting pretty ridiculous and the indie market was on the rise, the idea that "those evil publishers" not only existed, but actively tried to downplay a visionare Chris pretended to be wasn't far off. He hit a golden moment of gamer frustration, uncertainty and fear, and has been riding that wave for almost 10 years. The idea that "this is gonna be something different" was very appealing in the year we got ... wait what the gently caress? 2012 was apparently loving amazing for games, huh.

Okay I have no idea what happened then :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Also the easiest explanation for why people keep buying ships even after all this: the type of people dumb enough to buy ships are also the type of people dumb enough to KEEP buying ships.

There's also a weird self-selection thing going on, like those Nigerian Prince scams, where they intentionally make the scam obvious so they don't waste their time on marks who will wise up at the end.

At this point star citizen is so obviously a bad idea that the only people interested in it are morons who are easily fleeced. That saves CIG from some effort having to pretend they're actually working.

Also something about "space sim" just inherently attracts the most hardcore weirdo nerds, and I say that as a hardcore weirdo nerd.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Sabreseven posted:

Prediction for 2020 : In June, A new "TopGun" film is coming out, so I predict CR will as expected, go to the place where he experiences his worst fails (Cinema) and view it. Straight after he views it, expect to see new commercials for a new F-14/15 inspired fighter jpeg that can do some fancy glitchy arobatics accompanied by the worst re-imagining of the TopGun theme tune (Full burn with extra eleccy guitar) and a TopGun inspired flight school complete with a shower facility to keep the more rapey citizens happy.

You are four years too late

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Cripes, we all know Roberts was on the F-35 design board.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Fuzz posted:

I backed this game.

Then I bought like 4 ships for about 800 total spent. One of them was a Scythe.

Out rapidly became clear this would be poo poo, but the GRAY MARKET was still going strong.

I sold that Scythe for $1600 to someone.

I stopped looking at anything related to this hilarious disaster until today posting now.

That is my Star Citizen story. THANK YOU, CHRIS ROBERTS.

:cheers:

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Sarsapariller posted:

gently caress! I'd forgotten about that. :D

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
Maybe they’ll make a new song and call it “Extra Burn”

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Colostomy Bag posted:

Cripes, we all know Roberts was on the F-35 design board.

Well the F-35 has been plagued by horrible cost overruns, constant delays and sometimes fatal mechanical issues; so it would explain a lot.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Fuzz posted:

I backed this game.

Then I bought like 4 ships for about 800 total spent. One of them was a Scythe.

Out rapidly became clear this would be poo poo, but the GRAY MARKET was still going strong.

I sold that Scythe for $1600 to someone.

I stopped looking at anything related to this hilarious disaster until today posting now.

That is my Star Citizen story. THANK YOU, CHRIS ROBERTS.

this guy gets it

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Sabreseven posted:

and a TopGun inspired flight school complete with a shower facility to keep the more rapey citizens happy.

I thought that wasn't legal in the UEE?

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

You just know that there is a unisex shower scene in the works for SQ42, and it doesn’t have a hint of satire or irony. Because Chris Roberts is a true visionary genius, unlike that hack Paul Verhoeven.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 16, 2019

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Sarsapariller posted:

And Full Burn is the rent-a-band equivalent of Danger Zone...

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Inacio posted:

I thought that wasn't legal in the UEE?

With the ever decreasing supply of whales, concessions must be made to keep the concierge happy.

colonelwest posted:

You just know that there is a unisex shower scene in the works for SQ42, and it doesn’t have a hint of satire or irony. Because Chris Roberts is a true visionary genius, unlike that hack Paul Verhoeven.

Lets be honest here about the 'unisex' thing in SC, even the 'lady' commandos are more than likely "Many Men Online RolePlaying as Girls" (mmorpg for short). :)

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT
I look forward to Full Burn being used ironically in the Fyre Festival type documentary about Star Citizen.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Strangler 42 posted:

I look forward to Full Burn being used ironically in the Fyre Festival type documentary about Star Citizen.

Honestly it's pretty amazing SC isn't a bigger scandal in the mainstream media than it is, as it's roughly ten times bigger than Fyre Festival, money-wise. I guess no one will really perk up until it actually falls apart.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Honestly it's pretty amazing SC isn't a bigger scandal in the mainstream media than it is, as it's roughly ten times bigger than Fyre Festival, money-wise. I guess no one will really perk up until it actually falls apart.

Fyre Festival hosed up by delivering something. If they were smart they would have endlessly delayed, while not allowing refunds, and posting JPGs of all the hot new artists they've signed up to perform. (While failing to sign the people they claimed to have signed previously)

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Zaphod42 posted:

Fyre Festival hosed up by delivering something. If they were smart they would have endlessly delayed, while not allowing refunds, and posting JPGs of all the hot new artists they've signed up to perform. (While failing to sign the people they claimed to have signed previously)

I think Chris is in this for the feeling of being adored as a somebody, to be respected. To be a seen as a successful producer, creative and director.

The thing is that he gets that from his school of whales he gets people going nuts when he rocks up on stage and delivers janky demo, even when some of those fans make better sizzle reals in their spare time than his whole company can.

He is already getting what he wants, he doesn't need to release. When he releases anything people will take a hard look at his work and despair, that will take away his joyful feeling of respect.

You know what even if sq42 was good and would have smashed it out the park in 2016,. Crobear is afraid of being judged, of realeasing something of calling it done. He's always going redo remake and delay releasing anything for as long as his able.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
In Warframe there's a relatively new feature where you can sit down to play a stringed instrument. Most frequently it's used when waiting for someone slow, and given how the new spaceship missions tend to end veeeeerrrry slowly as you have to wait for the host to pull his finger out, it's a great time to sit down on the bridge next to him and play. There's even a AHK script for translating midis.

What I'm saying is does anyone have a link for a midi version of Final Burn?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I still love that this game keeps making cargo cult screenshots that are meant to resemble more successful games, yet, nobody seems able to articulate how the game works, what systems are meant to drive the game, or what, even, is Star Citizen.

It's like they think Death Stranding (as a for instance) just sort of started with cool weather effects and the gameplay happened by accident or something. Not that DS is the best or most engaging game in the world, mind you, but it is definitely deliberately what it is.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Mendrian posted:

It's like they think Death Stranding (as a for instance) just sort of started with cool weather effects and the gameplay happened by accident or something.

I can't speak for the cult, but Chris definitely thinks this is what game development is. You toss in assets and a game comes out. It's like a board game to him - as long as the pieces look really good the game will be fun.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I really hope no one is trash talking Starship Troopers again.

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Star Citizen isn't getting noticed by the mainstream as the marketing isn't being put out for anyone who doesn't have the game. Fyre Festival was god drat everywhere, billboards, youtube, influences, general site ads.

CI hasn't gone to any convention to show off their game in 2-3 years now? The one they host each year, you can't play the game there so to anyone stupid enough to be dragged to it, can't try it out. They go to places to sell t-shirts and pins, convince those already poured a months wage into the game to say hi if they are there, try and convince a fresh graduate to work for them at whatever job search meetup.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Star Citizen is a slow motion train wreck that has gone on so long that almost no one cares anymore. Fyre was a singular failure that culminated in about 48 hours. There has been so much sleaze pouring out of CIG for so long that the scope of it becomes overwhelming, which is something that I think Bootcha has struggled with.

It’s also not at all sexy when a bunch of asshat neckbeards and tedious game dads from Reddit get ripped off by a crowdfunded video game in a niche genre on a niche platform, there is nothing to really grab the popular imagination. The general reaction is “lol gently caress those nerds”.

Like I’ve tried to explain Star Citizen to friends and family who don’t know much about it or gaming in general, and every time some kind of concise and neat definition or analogy for it escapes me, and I wind up stumbling around in some small aspect of it.

I think the most we will see are a handful of postmortems from the few outlets that still do something resembling games industry journalism. But by the time that happens, we will likely be well into a decade of development. So again, who is actually going to care? The few of us left will laugh and the remaining whales will pat themselves on the back for daring to support “the dream” even though it failed.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

When it finally crashes and all the jpgs come crashing down, most of the backers will just move on. The death of SC will be slow and boring. That's why I'm glad the whales will never stop.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Inacio posted:

these loading screens are too mindful of my limited free time

Great, they finally reached the speed of light! Now it would only take around 4 hours to travel from Earth to Pluto!

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Great, they finally reached the speed of light! Now it would only take around 4 hours to travel from Earth to Pluto!

0 time from the travellers perspective

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

loling over Hyper Vangaurd Force IV which still has more gameplay loop than their 7 year old tech demo.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

jarlywarly posted:

0 time from the travellers perspective
0 time and black screen, because you would see nothing

which means that black screen of death when the game crashes is actually fidelitous simulation of superluminal speeds

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Kikas posted:

Okay I have no idea what happened then :v:
Perception is based on the truth but not sworn to it. Even on SA there was a whining storm reaching high frequencies about how gaming wasn't creative anymore, how evil publishers were forcing us all into the DLC mines. (Hence why there are still many true believers here) There was also a growing nostalgia kick, and the kickstarter/crowd funding dog and pony circus was at its peak around then. Chris just got in at the perfect time, got the momentum going and the sunk cost fallacy has carried them forward by promising the moon and stars to people who are not so much tricked as needing to accept the con in order to not face they've been scammed. Almost everything about Star Citizen for years was marketing, just bashing these people upside the head over and over.

Somewhere in there they hit on the formula of "pretend finished" marketing materials (I forget what Scruffpuff originally called it). Weirdly slick but entirely fictitious ads about all the things you "can do" in Star Citizen that, you know, you can't.

Early Access was booming back then as well. A lot of people here are quick to forget good guy Valve was letting people get scammed left and right by putting unfinished promises of 1 game iou front and center on their storepage around the same time. Millions of dollars down the shitter to produce unfinished pre-alpha turds. Is Psychonauts 2 even loving out yet?

Gaming as an industry gave millions of dollars to John Romero after Carmack fired him to make a game titled "Big Sword". The industry is the dumb, and gamers were raised on that dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

colonelwest posted:

Like I’ve tried to explain Star Citizen to friends and family who don’t know much about it or gaming in general, and every time some kind of concise and neat definition or analogy for it escapes me, and I wind up stumbling around in some small aspect of it.

It is impossible. You start off and around a few sentences in you remember some other clusterfuck and have to say "Oh wait, there was also this...". There is just so much poo poo.

Best way to approach it as we all know, is explaining it as not a failed game, but a cult.