Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I'm the executive chef lol

What's stopping you from hiring another sous chef so that if one calls out the only solution isn't 'work an open to close yourself'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

mandatory lesbian posted:

Look I get it's exploitative and lovely but if my company is paying for my liquor then heck yeah I'll work there

I'm absolutely technically experiencing wage theft, but there's an understanding from the upper levels that it's made up for with drinking once closing duties are finished. Ultimately they're probably saving money that way what with only having 1/8th tops of the staff "full time" and therefore having to cover benefits but I'm nowhere near that so it works out okay for me.

Oh, there it is.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Naelyan posted:

What's stopping you from hiring another sous chef so that if one calls out the only solution isn't 'work an open to close yourself'?

I have three already. It's 3 times in as many years. It's fine, I just wanted to vent.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Angular Cyrus posted:

They'll Do It Every Time 6/28/46

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
That's what it's like getting people to order wine. Oh, to work at a bar that doesn't give out tastes of wines.

This week I was waiting on a guy who was going back and forth between two tastes of different white wines while I was trying to get an order out of him, and I said to him "C'mon man, we're not buying a house here, we're ordering a glass of wine." He goes "first of all, how dare you", I laugh, his wife laughs, he orders the semillon blend, and I am comforted by the fact that I just got away with saying some pretty spicy poo poo to a guest.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

prayer group posted:

That's what it's like getting people to order wine. Oh, to work at a bar that doesn't give out tastes of wines.

This week I was waiting on a guy who was going back and forth between two tastes of different white wines while I was trying to get an order out of him, and I said to him "C'mon man, we're not buying a house here, we're ordering a glass of wine." He goes "first of all, how dare you", I laugh, his wife laughs, he orders the semillon blend, and I am comforted by the fact that I just got away with saying some pretty spicy poo poo to a guest.

Speaking as a server who has customers with a lot of questions about the wine, that's a conversation you had in your head. Not something that happened.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Well, I don't really like being told that something that happened to me didn't actually happen. I was there, dude.

My point there was really that having the tact and situational awareness of knowing when you can get away with saying something like that really makes dealing with difficult people a little easier. But you can just go "nah, that didn't happen" if you want.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
It's the internet. Nothing ever happens and everything is fake. I bet his name isn't even Skwirl.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

i am a sentient gas clown

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

prayer group posted:

I waited about 20 minutes for a group of four women to get served at the cheese shop a few months back. Never hated the bourgeoisie more. If they had also sold wine I probably would have to :killing:
I am the minion joker

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

prayer group posted:

Well, I don't really like being told that something that happened to me didn't actually happen. I was there, dude.

My point there was really that having the tact and situational awareness of knowing when you can get away with saying something like that really makes dealing with difficult people a little easier. But you can just go "nah, that didn't happen" if you want.

The correct answer here was “first of all, how dare you”

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i don't really know why, but i've never been in the habit of trying samples. if something on the menu makes an impression just order it. what do you have to lose?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i don't really know why, but i've never been in the habit of trying samples. if something on the menu makes an impression just order it. what do you have to lose?

I will do it for beer if it sounds like it's on the edge of too hoppy or too malty for what I like. Like "Oh, that IPA sounds good, but I want something I can drink fairly quickly without retching... let's just make sure it isn't hipster-levels of hoppy". But my rule is generally if I get a sample and don't like it I immediately go with something I know I do like.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

litany of gulps posted:

The correct answer here was “first of all, how dare you”

Absolutely correct.

W/r/t tasting pours, I feel like it's a bigger deal to occasional drinkers. Someone who only drinks on weekends and never has more than a couple can probably get pretty anxious when presented with a lot of appealing options, feeling a desire to make the most of their night and only commit to something they really like. This mode of thinking is lost on me, however, and I suspect likewise of my fellow degenerates here in this thread.

And to the non-industry few who read this thread, please don't feel like we get pissed off when you ask to try something that's reasonable for you to want to try. But don't ask me for tastes of spirits unless I'm already cool with you. That poo poo is crazy presumptuous.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

If it's bar where I'm a regular, or they aren't busy, I might for a sample if I've never heard of the brewery before. And that's only if I'm sitting at the bar, I'm not gonna make a server go to the bar, wait for the pour, then schlep a free sip of beer to my table, then wait while I give it a thumbs up or not. Y'all ain't got time to deal with that.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Yes, can I please sample all your top shelf scotch? I'm not sure which one I want.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
People ask for a sample of our mac and cheese od grits all the time. "To see if it's any good". No it's awful, there is salt and stuff, maybe even some black pepper. Way too spicy for you!

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

People ask for a sample of our mac and cheese od grits all the time. "To see if it's any good". No it's awful, there is salt and stuff, maybe even some black pepper. Way too spicy for you!

If I were a big enough rear end in a top hat to sample grits or mac and cheese I totally would. Those dishes stand a good 70% chance of being mediocre at best, but when they're really good make me really happy.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Canuckistan posted:

Yes, can I please sample all your top shelf scotch? I'm not sure which one I want.

hell, same

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Sextro posted:

If I were a big enough rear end in a top hat to sample grits or mac and cheese I totally would. Those dishes stand a good 70% chance of being mediocre at best, but when they're really good make me really happy.

That's fine well and good, but I'm not sending you a ramekin of mac and cheese when I'm in the middle of a $4000 hour and on a wait. Order them or don't.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
This is why sampler platters exist tbh

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I will take one mac and cheese and grits sampler please.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

deedee megadoodoo posted:

I would unironically be tempted to order that depending on what kinds of mac and cheese were included.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

deedee megadoodoo posted:

We actually just started doing a pick three board for sides so ok

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

We actually just started doing a pick three board for sides so ok

Any place with good sides should. It's almost mandatory for BBQ joints.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

Any place with good sides should. It's almost mandatory for BBQ joints.

We aren't a bbq restaurant, Southern food. Close enough though! We do goat cheese grits (Anson Mills), pimento mac and cheese, baked beans with pork rinds, pickled beet salad, sorghum butter biscuits, cheerwine glazed fried brussels, and potato salad.

Edit: pic because why not

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Dec 18, 2019

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

i want those biscuits

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Ooh I can’t decide which 3 sides to get. Can I get a little taste of each

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Trebuchet King posted:

i want those biscuits

Right? As someone who spent two years making biscuits for our area's multi-year platinum winner of "best biscuits" in the regional/state newspapers, blogs, and glossy magazines, those look incredible. I got so sick of eating biscuits after a few months there, but I could shove one of those in my mouth right now.

Kudo's, my southern cooking friend.

Also, i really want pickled beets now. (I'm not southern enough to know what a Cheerwine brussels sprout would be like, but I'd sure as gently caress try some.)

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Right? As someone who spent two years making biscuits for our area's multi-year platinum winner of "best biscuits" in the regional/state newspapers, blogs, and glossy magazines, those look incredible. I got so sick of eating biscuits after a few months there, but I could shove one of those in my mouth right now.

Kudo's, my southern cooking friend.

Also, i really want pickled beets now. (I'm not southern enough to know what a Cheerwine brussels sprout would be like, but I'd sure as gently caress try some.)

It's just a reduction of cheerwine soda and sorghum syrup, little vinegar. Malty cherry glaze over crispy Brussels with rendered bacon tossed in.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
BUT THOSE BISCUITS HAVE loving PIECES OF GLASS ON TOP OF THEM HOW DARE YOU SERVE THEM TO PEOPLE

I actually had a groom at his wedding call over a server and 'hey so maybe not a big deal? but there's glass in all of our bread'

'that's just sea salt on the foccacia, sir'

'oh, ok. you're sure it's not glass?'

loving people man.

edit: dish needs more pickled watermelon. gently caress that stuff was my favourite thing about my last restaurant, and it wasn't even my recipe, and I'm not too proud to admit it. pickled watermelon on loving evvvverrrrryyyyything.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Naelyan posted:

BUT THOSE BISCUITS HAVE loving PIECES OF GLASS ON TOP OF THEM HOW DARE YOU SERVE THEM TO PEOPLE

I actually had a groom at his wedding call over a server and 'hey so maybe not a big deal? but there's glass in all of our bread'

'that's just sea salt on the foccacia, sir'

'oh, ok. you're sure it's not glass?'

loving people man.

edit: dish needs more pickled watermelon. gently caress that stuff was my favourite thing about my last restaurant, and it wasn't even my recipe, and I'm not too proud to admit it. pickled watermelon on loving evvvverrrrryyyyything.

That's pickled fennel on the beets. We do a jalapeno compressed watermelon on a salad atm tho

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

baked beans with pork rinds

These sound amazing.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Man, the restaurant manager is so bad at leaving the bar in an at least acceptable condition at the end of his shift. I get he was busy but... come on!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

TheKingslayer posted:

These sound amazing.

Dust the pork rinds with ranch powder, too

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Dust the pork rinds with ranch powder, too

now you've got my attention

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

Please say that you guys do collard greens.

Today we got the ticket printer installed in the kitchen for processing the 2 made to order items we offer. I was really hoping I would never have to hear that noise again.

Also some weird construction guy kept popping his head in for treats every hour or so. Sometimes just standing outside the glass door and waving his arms and pointing at what he wanted us to give him (we ignored him lol) . At one point we were portioning cookie dough to freeze and he was demanding that we bake some off for him. One of the kitchen managers finally broke and said we would do it for 5 bucks, or he could go to the coffee shop down the street where we wholesale and buy them there.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Science WHORE posted:

Please say that you guys do collard greens.

We used to, but they didn't move.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

We aren't a bbq restaurant, Southern food. Close enough though! We do goat cheese grits (Anson Mills), pimento mac and cheese, baked beans with pork rinds, pickled beet salad, sorghum butter biscuits, cheerwine glazed fried brussels, and potato salad.

Edit: pic because why not

Yeah sure the biscuits look good but I wanna see them grits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

mandatory lesbian posted:

Yeah sure the biscuits look good but I wanna see them grits

Sweat onions in bacon fat, chicken stock, cream, goat cheese. Coffee bacon jam on top.