Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
It takes Manfred 17 turns to force march from Sylvania to Nagashizzar, in case any one was wondering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Trust me, I tried *everything* and the full stack in Al-Haikk refused to leave, hence why I mentioned that I even disbanded my army, and the vamps would not leave to go take Fyrus (the island settlement that is a part of the same province). It was really odd. Also my complaining about Chivalry - I dont want to ambush because of Chivalry loss.

Take Fyrus then recruit a *new* lord and park him/her alone in max range of the Al-Haikk army, then put Repanse in ambush behind them. In my experience the AI falls for this type of trap every time, and you don't even have to succeed on the ambush roll. It's a pretty reliable way to clear out all the nearby tomb kings with minimal fuss early on. You only lose 2 chivalry/turn for ambushing, which you make back and more by winning the battle.

Sacking costs chivalry but you get something like 40k gold for sacking Khemri and IMO it's worth the hit to get your economy going quicker. Just make sure you still have enough movement to occupy it on the same turn because TK garrisons resurrect at full strength.

On the tactical level I've had more success early on not with hammer/anvil (because your starting "anvil" is terrible and won't hold for long) but by running cavalry in circles around the enemy infantry before they engage. The AI gets confused by this and will often break formation to chase, so you can draw off a good portion of their force to delay them from getting to the line battle. If any of their infantry gets isolated while chasing, hit them with a quick pincer charge and they'll usually rout instantly.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Blooming Brilliant posted:

There is a certain rock-paper-scissors element to race match ups, but there's some races that overall come out on top.

Currently I believe it's Delves, Empire, Khemri, and Skaven. Maybe Vampire Coast as well but they keep getting hit with nerfs. Beastmen are also up there as a rogue option.

Granted I only watch multiplayer videos so take this with a grain of salt.

Everything except orc is OP in single player, multiplayer is where a game balance gets tested.

I don't follow multi, this is an interesting list, would be curious what some of the other multi goons think.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

smug jeebus posted:

It takes Manfred 17 turns to force march from Sylvania to Nagashizzar, in case any one was wondering.
How many new war declarations did you get along the way?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Blooming Brilliant posted:

There is a certain rock-paper-scissors element to race match ups, but there's some races that overall come out on top.

Currently I believe it's Delves, Empire, Khemri, and Skaven. Maybe Vampire Coast as well but they keep getting hit with nerfs. Beastmen are also up there as a rogue option.

Granted I only watch multiplayer videos so take this with a grain of salt.

Empire is substantially over picked. Vampire Counts and Warriors of Chaos are substantially under. Everything else is a fairly tight spectrum.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Table top caps isn't updating for two more days but the mod dev posted an updated file that you have to manually add into the game folder.

Oh man do I not miss elf dragon armies. Now it is eagle armies but doable.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Shumagorath posted:

How many new war declarations did you get along the way?

Only Karak Hirn, and Templehof decided they wanted a treaty. A lot of angry red faces nearby though.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Third World Reagan posted:

Table top caps isn't updating for two more days but the mod dev posted an updated file that you have to manually add into the game folder.

Oh man do I not miss elf dragon armies. Now it is eagle armies but doable.

I turned it off for my pirate run because I'm just playing with one fleet, maybe the other research lords, but for normal factions it makes things so much more interesting. Having constraints is great for the bqttlea you slog through on a campaign.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

smug jeebus posted:

Do I have a mod for you.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Holy poo poo I was wishing this was a real thing just this morning. Bless you, ZearothK. Bless you.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Just do instant quest battles!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

holy shiiiiiit

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

boy this sure is a lot easier, thanks!

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Holy poo poo that is the mod of my dreams

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
that reminds me, what do you lot use to handle enemy agents being annoying assholes (on, specifically, VH campaign difficulty)

passive agents broke on me a bit ago, so i'm using AI embeds passive agents but there seems to be an issue with it (some? all? of my agents can only do their settlement targeting actions, not their character targeting ones)

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Mod of the year

Earl Chestnuts
Feb 19, 2013
I am really surprised how well a full stack of Cold One Dread Knights with Malus is performing in my campaign. I used to think cavalry was all around disappointing but maybe I just wasn’t using enough.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Lord_Magmar posted:

Malus Darkblade also worked this out, he's just a little worse at it.

it's not so much "worked it out" as it is "has never been in a position where he could safely gently caress over a minion"

Lokhir by comparison has worked out that cutting in your minions on the plunder keeps the evil magic pirate castle sailing smoothly

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

it's not so much "worked it out" as it is "has never been in a position where he could safely gently caress over a minion"

Lokhir by comparison has worked out that cutting in your minions on the plunder keeps the evil magic pirate castle sailing smoothly

Also Malus has T'zarkan as a trump card so you better hope that knife/poison/big rock is enough to kill him or your soul is getting torn apart piece by piece by a Greater Daemon of Slaanesh.

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

Appreciate the advice, y'all. Been running with Krok-Gar on hard difficulty for my second attempt and its been a blast. Just finished off the tomb kings that had been blocking my progress north and got some very rich cities out of it. Of course now I've have run out of cities to invade that share my climate type and I'm not sure where to expand to next. Is it worth it to settle the unpleasant climate cities to the west? I did read that the Mortal Empires campaign shaves off part of the map, did I lose out on some possible city sites to my south?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Broken Cog posted:

Is Lokhir supposed to be the pragmatic Lord for the Dark Elves, like Queek kinda is for the Skaven? As in, not bothering with all the drama and scheming like most of the others of their faction, and generally treating their own well.

Queek's boss Gnawdwell is the pragmatic one. Queek is insane and a horrible boss.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

MonsterEnvy posted:

Queek's boss Gnawdwell is the pragmatic one. Queek is insane and a horrible boss.

Isnt the whole thing about Queek that he has no political ambition and just wants an endless supply of Dwarves and Greenskins to humiliate and kill, which Gnawdell is more than happy to provide?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

AnEdgelord posted:

Isnt the whole thing about Queek that he has no political ambition and just wants an endless supply of Dwarves and Greenskins to humiliate and kill, which Gnawdell is more than happy to provide?

Gnawdwell actually took Queek aside to tell him he was proud of him and didn't think he was a horrible freak for being very brave and eager to fight on the front lines.

This is because Gnawdwell has worked out that positive reinforcement is even better than wizard plutonium cocaine for Skaven since they're so drat starved for it.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Queek doesn't have any long-term plan to have you killed. He'll kill you on a violent whim.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AnEdgelord posted:

Queek has no super big political ambitions other then proving that he is great, and that everyone should respect him. His ego is massive, but unlike other Skaven who tend to claim they are the greatest, he tends to actually backup his boasts. He tends to also murder his minions for feeling like they might as slighted him.

Still as Gnawdwell wants Queek to succeed him he's a bit disappointed in Queek's inability to plot and politic.

Gnwdwell posted:

"You disappoint me, Queek. To be a Lord of Decay is not to stab and kill and smash all things aside. You lack circumspection. You are a killer, nothing more."

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

Queek is a good boss, yes yes. Come work for Queek, leave the filthy greenskins.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

how to empire? I want to try out the huntsman campaign. Normally I go and watch videos from zerkovich or w/e to at least get an idea about the armies but lately I've felt they're all out of date and bad info.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Agent355 posted:

how to empire? I want to try out the huntsman campaign. Normally I go and watch videos from zerkovich or w/e to at least get an idea about the armies but lately I've felt they're all out of date and bad info.

huntsman campaign is brutal; you take a hot second to have anything that can meaningfully slow down a unit of saurus warriors, and every time you do something a timer for Next Giant Dino Attack visibly shortens.

the gun is good; the swordsman is evil

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Picked this up in a sale. Having fun working out how to play. How long is a typical campaign? Is it normal to sit around for several turns? Asking because I started as tomb kings and after restarting had a much better army on turn 17 than I’d gotten on turn 26 the first time around. So I’m trying to understand what pace I should be aiming for since clearly the first time I was going too slow.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I distinctly recall Queek being an insanely violent and paranoid monster of a Skaven, with him talking to the various skulls he's collected as trophies for advice.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

doingitwrong posted:

Picked this up in a sale. Having fun working out how to play. How long is a typical campaign? Is it normal to sit around for several turns? Asking because I started as tomb kings and after restarting had a much better army on turn 17 than I’d gotten on turn 26 the first time around. So I’m trying to understand what pace I should be aiming for since clearly the first time I was going too slow.

It's going to vary alot by faction but you should always be doing something. It's gamey but a good thing to do early game is to take your initial province and then find some nearby settlement that you can sack every turn. You won't get much money out of it but while you wait for your province to develop you can get a ton of exp on your legendary lord which is pretty important.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

toasterwarrior posted:

I distinctly recall Queek being an insanely violent and paranoid monster of a Skaven, with him talking to the various skulls he's collected as trophies for advice.

There's a ton of variability. Anywhere between 100 and 250 turns is normal. There's no turn-limit, you can just keep playing forever, although if you take too long, certain factions will just become near-impossible to beat.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
So I just finished the Huntsmarshall expedition campaign in Vortex and while I did get a short "You won, Yay!" cinematic, the game then continued as usual without any achievement or "Victory" screen popping up. Is this intended, or was I hit by a bug?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I went into an old Brettonia Mortal Empires campaign from well before vows were implemented, found a save where I was close to the chivalry threshold for an errantry war, and confirmed that you can’t do the Tomb King or Vampirate errantry wars unless you’re Repanse. Unless the fact that it’s an old save makes it messy.

Is there an updated list of landmarks and what they do? The wiki isn’t that well updated.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

toasterwarrior posted:

Yeah but hes kind've like a subversion of Skaven expectations in that he is your standard warhammer badass who is huge, muscular and wants to test his blade in honorable combat with worthy foes. (in order to steal their head, generally) Most skaven are backstabbing assholes who wouldn't fight fair if you paid them and tend to be more worried about getting backstabbed than the guy they're fighting so Queek's unusual style of 'just loving fight' takes both his enemies and his friends off guard as a commander.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Dr Christmas posted:

I went into an old Brettonia Mortal Empires campaign from well before vows were implemented, found a save where I was close to the chivalry threshold for an errantry war, and confirmed that you can’t do the Tomb King or Vampirate errantry wars unless you’re Repanse. Unless the fact that it’s an old save makes it messy.

Is there an updated list of landmarks and what they do? The wiki isn’t that well updated.

Honga is the only place that I normally use and it isn't sorted well.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I can't believe I didn't pick this game up sooner. I'm not overly a fan of the new factions but playing the old (total warham 1) factions with the extra stuff in the campaign/forts are all absolutely fantastic changes.

E: Also whoever said that brets are boring needs to take it back, or my peasants will poke you with a shovel!

dogstile fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 17, 2019

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
holy cow these turn time improvements. what kind of wizardry did they cook up

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I am so tired of fighting hordes of rats but every lord I want to play besides empire starts out either surrounded by rats or with a rat legendary lord nearby that will probably be my first challenge after the cleanup of your starting province. They are so boring to fight early game because the only challenge they offer is when they surprise you with four stacks of thousands of rats and swarm you down.

It’s either boring rat exterminator or drowning in so many rats that there’s nothing that can be done. Even when I win against the odds it’s just frustrating. gently caress you rats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I yearn to one day play orc exterminator alongside rat exterminator. Funnest I ever had was a game was a principally Empire v. Greenskins game.

Another fun game was high elfs vs. rats but then they started just spamming artillery mostly which is just annoying.