Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

LifeLynx posted:

They didn't think people would be running in and playing in paper tournaments right out the gate. They thought of it more as a public beta test. In hindsight the minimal bans and up is a bad idea knowing how quickly Magic players would jump on it for a variety of reasons - from boredom with current formats to finance, and so on.

Though if it started with the ban list we have today, I think people would cry about how unfair it was they couldn't play Cat Combo or Field of the Dead or anything else.

hey im still crying about how i can't play copter!!! :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Same I wish the format had good answers so it wasn’t ubiquitous in aggro cause yup love to play with it cause it’s so strong

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Now's the time to take the opposite tack with Historic and add all the Moxes + Black Lotus.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

PleasantDirge posted:

How are you exposed to quality fiction like this and still such a doofus?

very carefully

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

uggy posted:

Same I wish the format had good answers so it wasn’t ubiquitous in aggro cause yup love to play with it cause it’s so strong

It's too bad the UU Submarine in Ravnica doesn't have evasion. It'd be a very reasonable play in a lot of decks without being in every single creature based strategy.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
I can't find anywhere else that ruled on this and we've had a disagreement in our commander pod. So like all reasonable nerds I go to the goons for advice.

Do the cards that you can keep from NivMizzet Reborns enter the battlefield effect have to be just two different colors in the casting cost ? Or can something like absorb thats UUW still get selected. One person is stuck on the 'exactly' part of it, everyone else disagrees but he owns the store so...

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Grevlek posted:

Do the cards that you can keep from NivMizzet Reborns enter the battlefield effect have to be just two different colors in the casting cost ? Or can something like absorb thats UUW still get selected. One person is stuck on the 'exactly' part of it, everyone else disagrees but he owns the store so...
You can pick one from each of the ten two-color combinations. Casting cost and symbols doesn't matter, just that status. You can't take three or four color combinations. You can't take an absorb and another azorius (U/W) card.

If it helps, the idea is he draws on the powers of the guilds and each of them gives him 1 spell. That's why it says "exactly".

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Grevlek posted:

I can't find anywhere else that ruled on this and we've had a disagreement in our commander pod. So like all reasonable nerds I go to the goons for advice.

It says exactly those colours, not exactly those colour symbols. It's been forever since I've seen it resolved on Arena, but I think Absorb is a perfectly legal target for the UW pair.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Spiderdrake posted:

You can pick one from each of the ten two-color combinations. Casting cost and symbols doesn't matter, just that status. You can't take three or four color combinations. You can't take an absorb and another azorius (U/W) card.

If it helps, the idea is he draws on the powers of the guilds and each of them gives him 1 spell. That's why it says "exactly".

Thanks that's what I was looking for!

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

fadam posted:

It's too bad the UU Submarine in Ravnica doesn't have evasion. It'd be a very reasonable play in a lot of decks without being in every single creature based strategy.

The Submarine is insane with Animating Faerie - it might have gotten hit in development because they thought Eldraine had a larger artifact animation subtheme?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

flatluigi posted:

i agree they should start banning the worst decks

Leave Spirits and Seasons Past alone!

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Hellsau posted:

The Submarine is insane with Animating Faerie - it might have gotten hit in development because they thought Eldraine had a larger artifact animation subtheme?

Somebody probably put Ensoul Artifact on it and went "aaaah" and then ensoul artifact was cut from whatever standard set it was going to be in (core 2020? maybe it will pop in for 6 months in core 2021?)

i kinda want to try ensoul artifact + vehicles in pioneer now actually

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

ungulateman posted:

Somebody probably put Ensoul Artifact on it and went "aaaah" and then ensoul artifact was cut from whatever standard set it was going to be in (core 2020? maybe it will pop in for 6 months in core 2021?)

i kinda want to try ensoul artifact + vehicles in pioneer now actually

Despite the loss of Copter, UR Ensoul is a hell of a deck in Pioneer right now. Unfortunately aside from a harvester in the board, I don’t think any of the vehicles are especially good.

Back when it was in Standard, how many PW did people play alongside Heart of Kiran? I’m seeing more and more builds maindecking The Royal Scions (check my post history, I had the idea first!!!!) so maybe there’s something there, idk.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018

LifeLynx posted:

They didn't think people would be running in and playing in paper tournaments right out the gate. They thought of it more as a public beta test. In hindsight the minimal bans and up is a bad idea knowing how quickly Magic players would jump on it for a variety of reasons - from boredom with current formats to finance, and so on.

Though if it started with the ban list we have today, I think people would cry about how unfair it was they couldn't play Cat Combo or Field of the Dead or anything else.

Seems really silly for them to think this with how the community feels about Standard and Modern since MH. I think even the GPs have had Pioneer PTQs already.

At some point they have to give deckbuilders time to adjust to the best deck(s) and not just ban whatever overperforms over a 1-2 week period.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

freeman posted:

At some point they have to give deckbuilders time to adjust to the best deck(s) and not just ban whatever overperforms over a 1-2 week period.

Oh so you mean after the new year? which is when we already know they are stopping weekly B&R announcements because that's what they said when they announced the entire format?

Its so confusing to me when people post the "They cant keep doing this stuff!" because, yeah we know they cant and we know when they are stopping so whats the issue?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

have some brawl cards

Elyv fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Dec 17, 2019

freeman
Aug 14, 2018

Paul Zuvella posted:

Oh so you mean after the new year? which is when we already know they are stopping weekly B&R announcements because that's what they said when they announced the entire format?

Its so confusing to me when people post the "They cant keep doing this stuff!" because, yeah we know they cant and we know when they are stopping so whats the issue?

Didn't they announce that they're not doing timed ban announcements anymore and just banning whenever they feel like it? As long as it's on a Monday and not before a major tournament.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

freeman posted:

Didn't they announce that they're not doing timed ban announcements anymore and just banning whenever they feel like it? As long as it's on a Monday and not before a major tournament.

That's how bannings literally already work. They just announce that they are happening or schedule them ahead of time. That's the only part they are stopping.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Do not put it past Wizards to not ban a card until the Monday before a major tournament.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018

Paul Zuvella posted:

That's how bannings literally already work. They just announce that they are happening or schedule them ahead of time. That's the only part they are stopping.

Am I missing something? They've primarily stuck to a schedule right? Hence the announcement that they're going away from that and my worry that they could just reaction ban every 1-2 weeks if they wanted further than this "beta test" period of pioneer that's supposed to end in early 2020.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

these cards come from theros theme boosters
someone's gonna need to make that spreadsheet bigger

Elyv fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 17, 2019

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Elyv posted:

have some brawl cards

Dang I almost got excited about that zombie before I saw the "exiled with it" clause.

Looks like there will be plenty of exile effects that play nice with Ashiok ult at least.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Mat Cauthon posted:

Dang I almost got excited about that zombie before I saw the "exiled with it" clause.

Looks like there will be plenty of exile effects that play nice with Ashiok ult at least.

also it's a skeleton

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

This is straight up Korg, right?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

BizarroAzrael posted:

This is straight up Korg, right?

it's an hecatoncheires

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
these are standard legal btw, available only in theme boosters or collector boosters.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-preview/theros-beyond-death-theme-boosters-2019-12-17

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
here's what you can find in a collector booster

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/theros-beyond-death-collector-booster-contents-2019-12-13

quote:

here are fifteen cards plus a foil token in each Collector Booster found in eight "slots" in the booster. The slots are as follows:

Two premium foil basic Nyx Lands—these are the full-art lands showcasing Nyx art that we showed off last week. Every Collector Booster comes with two foil versions of these sweet lands.
Eight premium foil common, uncommon, or non-Nyx basic lands—there are 111 commons (including non-Nyx basic lands) and 80 uncommons in the set. Each booster will have eight cards from among those cards.
One ancillary card—each booster will contain one card from a Theros Beyond Death ancillary release, including Planeswalker Decks, Theme Boosters, and the Buy-a-Box promo.
One non-foil rare or mythic with the extended-art frame—similar to the Throne of Eldraine Collector Booster frames, these have extended art across the borders.
One premium foil rare or mythic rare—these can be either standard-frame or foil versions of the Collector Booster frame (point 4 above).
One non-foil Saga or constellation showcase-frame card—these can be uncommon, rare, or mythic rare and can include the borderless planeswalkers.
One foil constellation showcase-frame card—this slot will have one of the five uncommon showcase demigods, one of the six showcase rares, or one of the three borderless planeswalkers.
One premium foil token from Theros Beyond Death.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Stop it. Just loving stop it with all this side poo poo. No more.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

(non-Nyx basic lands)

Oh cool, they're going to make the nice full-art lands harder to get, that's great, really nice of them.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

freeman posted:

Am I missing something? They've primarily stuck to a schedule right? Hence the announcement that they're going away from that and my worry that they could just reaction ban every 1-2 weeks if they wanted further than this "beta test" period of pioneer that's supposed to end in early 2020.

There is nothing stopping them from doing that with literally every format right now so I don't know why this change has any effect on that. They said they were stopping weekly bans after the new year and there is literally no reason to believe they will just... keep doing it.

Like they don't have weekly bans for literally any other format so why are you afraid they are going to treat pioneer differently.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

(non-Nyx basic lands)

Oh cool, they're going to make the nice full-art lands harder to get, that's great, really nice of them.

didn't they already say the nyx lands were 1 per booster? doesn't sound like they'll be hard to get.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

So many Timmies going to get blown out when they don't understand the timing of the exile.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Star Man posted:

wizards reading this post: "no, more? gotcha chief".

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Star Man posted:

They have to milk as much money out of the players as possible before the next recession hits.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I really appreciate all the different ways they've figured out to write unblockable on 7 mana 5/5s.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018

Paul Zuvella posted:

There is nothing stopping them from doing that with literally every format right now so I don't know why this change has any effect on that. They said they were stopping weekly bans after the new year and there is literally no reason to believe they will just... keep doing it.

Like they don't have weekly bans for literally any other format so why are you afraid they are going to treat pioneer differently.

They just banned 2 more cards 2 weeks before the new year based on how they performed in the last 2 weeks since the previous ban.

I just don't see them stopping now and with unscheduled bannings being the norm going forward I'm not going to buy into the format until we get 2+ months of no bans.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
There isn’t anything going on in Pioneer as hosed up as all the stupid 2019 bullshit that they’ve printed, I sincerely believe we are safe for now.

Like Smuggler’s Scooter and Oath of Nissa are the only cards on the pioneer banlist not from 2019

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Kurtofan posted:

it's an hecatoncheires

Weirdly, they already printed a hekatonchires.

Edit: Gah it's huge and I can't delete it from the post I'm sorry!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

freeman posted:

They just banned 2 more cards 2 weeks before the new year based on how they performed in the last 2 weeks since the previous ban.

I just don't see them stopping now and with unscheduled bannings being the norm going forward I'm not going to buy into the format until we get 2+ months of no bans.

they've said that they were going to do weekly ban announcements (which could still include "no bans") every week until the new year, then it'd settle into the regular ban announcements scheduled the same time as the rest of the formats

not sure what part of this is so difficult

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Lone Goat posted:

they've said that they were going to do weekly ban announcements (which could still include "no bans") every week until the new year, then it'd settle into the regular ban announcements scheduled the same time as the rest of the formats

not sure what part of this is so difficult

Because they got rid of regular ban announcements.