Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

rogue one was awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Wolfsheim posted:

What if Saving Private Ryan was set in space, but during the ending scene where they die you don't care because none of the soldiers have personalities

And then just before the credits it cuts to a sick nazi super-soldier just murdering the poo poo out of a bunch of helpless allied soldiers and we all cheer

I never knew I wanted to see jar jar die in a slow motion stabbing while a resistance solider cowers on the stairs til now thanks.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I like the blind guy who was real big into the force but not actually force sensitive. That was a good bit. And Sassy Buff C3P0 was okay in that he was slightly less annoying than normal 3P0 (Kill all the robots in the moves and replaces them with the KOTOR service droid.)

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Rogue One felt like Star Wars Battlefront 2, the good one for PS2, was a movie, and that makes it the best one since Revenge Of The Sith.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Rogue One had Donnie Yen kicking rear end. No other Star Wars movie can say that.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

I Before E posted:

Rogue One felt like Star Wars Battlefront 2, the good one for PS2, was a movie, and that makes it the best one since Revenge Of The Sith.

The good one was Battlefront 1 because allowing you to actually play as all the overpowered heroes turned every match in 2 from balanced PvP class-based FPS gameplay to 'who can rush godmode faster'

It also had better single player campaigns and didn't include half-baked space battles :colbert:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Rogue One was almost amazing, but ended up at ok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOyD0zHQFsU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Rogue One could have been dope but ended up as a shrug for me. People on my timeline were like "OMG THIS MOVIE GAVE ME ALL THE FEELS I WAS WEEPING," so my wife and I were optimistic, but then everything in the movie was soulless, perfunctory, and disinteresting. The Last Jedi remains the most interesting Star War for me since the originals.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Was Rogue One the movie where they originally wrote them more as terrorists but pulled back for the final script? I wonder how that original idea would have gone over.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The Magnificent Seven remake straight up has Chris Pratt do a heroic suicide bombing on some Pinkertons so there's clearly some amount of wiggle room before you've gone too terroristy

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

red19fire posted:

Rogue One is probably the best star war of the past decade. Although TLJ owns as an allegory for the 2016 election.

I'm 34 and it's the best star war of my lifetime.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

SlimGoodbody posted:

Rogue One could have been dope but ended up as a shrug for me. People on my timeline were like "OMG THIS MOVIE GAVE ME ALL THE FEELS I WAS WEEPING," so my wife and I were optimistic, but then everything in the movie was soulless, perfunctory, and disinteresting. The Last Jedi remains the most interesting Star War for me since the originals.

I liked it but my expectations were extremely low given that this is a high budget Disney movie and given that it's predecessor was The Force Awakens.

Its the best Star Wars movie of this current generation and it's only because the rest of them are somehow significantly worse.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

THS posted:

rogue one was awesome

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

I Before E posted:

The Magnificent Seven remake straight up has Chris Pratt do a heroic suicide bombing on some Pinkertons so there's clearly some amount of wiggle room before you've gone too terroristy

...what. Okay, now I have to seek out whatever movie this was so I can see it

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

star war is reactionary and liberal

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Apoplexy posted:

...what. Okay, now I have to seek out whatever movie this was so I can see it

It also has Vincent D'Onofrio as a crazy old coot, it's pretty solid

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

T-man posted:

star war is reactionary and liberal

mlyp

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Rogue One wasn't great, especially since they literally locked the director out of the sets to reshoot the third act and disguise the fact that the main character was initially scripted as a member of space ISIS, but its fun in its own way, especially since it's the only post- Disney star wars media to somewhat successfully pull off the idea of an alternate perspective on star wars

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
star wars is gay and bad

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
TLJ was bad because of its Marvel humor. And it was a remake of Episode V.
Where did it break NEW GROUNDS?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

AnEdgelord posted:

There are plenty of war movies that do everything Rogue One does a million times better, the only thing propping it up is its aesthetic and a big "Star Wars" logo on the front of the box

yeah watching spaceships ram into each other is fun

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

AstroWhale posted:

TLJ was bad because of its Marvel humor. And it was a remake of Episode V.
Where did it break NEW GROUNDS?

whys this read like

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
newgrounds dot com

kill britney spears game

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zya0yW129ss Best thing to come out of TLJ? Only good thing?

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009

Law Cheetah posted:

newgrounds dot com

kill britney spears game

dont stalk me

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Race Realists posted:

my friends on AniTwitter try to defend that scene and get pissy at any normie who dares get grossed out by it

getting grossed out at it is the point. thjat's the justification for the scene. "i'm so hosed up" is the whole loving thing

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

AnEdgelord posted:

Ya'll motherfuckers remember CGI Tarkin?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y17jN5E2To0

Its like staring into the Uncanny Valley's butthole

My coworker's boyfriend didn't realize he was cgi and they got in a fight over it.

Also he only watches the prequels and not the originals because the "Graphics" aren't good (I found this out when I asked how he couldn't compare the real life guy to the obviously phony one in Rogue One).

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Dec 17, 2019

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I've googled a bit and can't find anything specific about script changes in rogue one, just general articles about the reshoot. What's the space terrorist thing about?

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Guys, there are plenty of bad Star Wars takes from Chapo and Chapo-adjacent people as is, do we really need more in the thread too?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Guys, there are plenty of bad Star Wars takes from Chapo and Chapo-adjacent people as is, do we really need more in the thread too?

https://twitter.com/MatthewFerrari/status/1206772198612054016?s=20

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009

Nikaer Drekin posted:

yes

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Some artists work in oils or clay. Leslie works in bad movie takes.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

bobjr posted:

Was Rogue One the movie where they originally wrote them more as terrorists but pulled back for the final script? I wonder how that original idea would have gone over.
No matter what they intended, I think it would've read as a lovely both-sides narrative. It would take away from Rogue One's overall message.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkY88kvkdvU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Leslie's takes are mostly correct. He just has a glaring blindspot when it comes to DC and the prequels.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I don’t care whether Leslie’s takes are good or bad, I just don’t understand why his entire life seems dedicated to watching movies he hates.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
he works in podcasts.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

I don’t care whether Leslie’s takes are good or bad, I just don’t understand why his entire life seems dedicated to watching movies he hates.

i respect his struggle against Let People Enjoy Things

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Leslie is a necessary evil in the war against bad taste

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Felix had some nice sincere posting in the last ep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Leslie is a necessary evil in the war against bad taste

I enjoyed that he and Jack were right about Watchmen when Damon proved he didn't understand the comic on the HBO podcast.