Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Arizona Sunshine is a pre-VR game, developed when none of the consumer headsets were released. It shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Hmm in Pistol Whip, I hit better and higher scores one handed than when cupping the shooting hand to "stabilize" the gun.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Combat Pretzel posted:

Hmm in Pistol Whip, I hit better and higher scores one handed than when cupping the shooting hand to "stabilize" the gun.

... are you confused about your ability to steady one hand with another? That's not exactly a VR thing lol

Oh misread your post, that is weird.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tom Guycot posted:

Man... that would be so cool. Cruising around in old 70's boats, one hand on the wheel, grabbing a shotgun laying in the passenger seat, hitting some switches around the cab to activate flamethrowers and boosters, and grabbing a virtual CB mic to communicate with people in trucker lingo.

Ugh, someone make it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTwkUKBKlQQ

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

PantsBandit posted:

... are you confused about your ability to steady one hand with another? That's not exactly a VR thing lol

Oh misread your post, that is weird.
I did one handed when I started out with Pistol Whip, then did a bunch of easy maps on deadeye to help improve the feel for the gun and improve aiming, eventually started using both hands, then went back to non-deadeye and kept doing so. Today I figured gently caress it and have some fun, and I was generally getting higher hit scores and for some reason more on-beat hits. Maybe because when one handing, the gun sight is better aligned with my dominant eye or whatever.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

There is a mario kart VR game :) you just can’t buy it to play at home I guess

https://www.bandainamco-am.co.uk/virtual-reality/vr-zone-portal/mario-kart-vr/

I played it last year and it was pretty cool but it seemed to be like one course everyone played only and it was over really quickly

I wonder if this sorta thing is piratable

Probably, it's just running on a PC with a VIVE, I don't think it uses any hardware that's proprietary, but look luck sourcing those files.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Psyyyyched about Bridge Crew on Quest. I've wanted this one for quite a while. Going to see if any of my friends are in on this yet.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

Tom Guycot posted:

Theres another Mario Kart copycat thats coming next year called "Dash Dash World", that might be the one to wait for. Its currently in beta, and from the little i've heard it seems to be good. Its also going to be on PC and PSVR, but also Quest, so you're likely to have more luck finding games than Touring Karts thats only on PC and PS4.

"full" gets thrown around a lot, but I'm guess you mean something like "you go through stages and its not just the same activity in an arena over and over with no story"? Theres not really a list that separates them that specifically, but I can name some ones worth looking into videos of to see if they seem interesting.

Doom 3 BFG. Theres an amazing vr mod for doom 3 that makes it play better than some VR native games, and with the cramped dark corridors, 100% dynamic lighting of doom3, and a flashlight in your hand its honestly an amazing fit for VR.

Skyrim and Fallout 4 VR. fallout 4 is far more of the garbage port, but they're also both just old games with varying levels of VR quality added on. If you already liked them you might be interested, but, its still skyrim and fallout 4.

Budget Cuts (1+2 now) Should fit that niche. Stealth moving around killing robots, with some quirks to the throwing and some mechanics but overall pretty well liked.

Edge of Nowhere, a 3rd person game like chronos, by Insomniac and set in a lovecraftian world in antarctica. I really loved this one, and its on sale often.

Wilson's Heart, a puzzle/adventure game, but honestly the puzzles are mostly so easy that it plays more like an interactive story. Cool black and white 50's horror setting, and a neat ~5-6 hour story to play through. Early game so its teleportation only which is often a criticism, but still a really cool experience.

Arktika.1 A shooter that like other earlier games is also teleportation based. Made by the developers of the metro games, its certainly beautiful. Lots of levels, missions, weapons and upgrades, and a neat setting. The way you teleport around to certain locations forces you to use your surroundings to move in and get cover for real, and almost feels like a VR version of a light gun game in that way.

Windlands 2 A game mostly about swinging around to reach the end of the level, the sequel added more of a campaign, weapons and bosses and co-op. Its much more fleshed out than the first.

Killing Floor Incursion, ironically this Killing Floor is a narrative game where you go through stages either alone or co-op, and NOT an arena shooter.

Talos Principle is a VR port of the original puzzle game, much like...

Obduction, also a VR port, which if you like puzzle games is also worth looking at.

Lucky's Tale is a (still i think?) free 3rd person platformer. Think mario 64 in VR, thats really adorable and pretty, worth playing for sure at the price of free.

Thats what I can think of off the top of my head right now at least for older VR games that might be missed now by all the new people jumping in.

Alien Isolation with the MotherVR mod seems to work OK. Some weirdness with some menus I think and to be honest I haven't finished it or anything but it works pretty well.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

sigher posted:

Probably, it's just running on a PC with a VIVE, I don't think it uses any hardware that's proprietary, but look luck sourcing those files.

Someone make a bounty to acquire one of those PC’s

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

EbolaIvory posted:

They also have a demo on steam. So. Just grab the demo and check it out. :)

Oh, didn’t even see that. I’ll check it out

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/com...utm_name=iossmf

A rare Jim Silly-Balls triple post!!

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Martytoof posted:

Psyyyyched about Bridge Crew on Quest. I've wanted this one for quite a while. Going to see if any of my friends are in on this yet.

I just played a round, it's pretty great. The mix of try hards and people goofing around makes for an entertaining game.

EDIT: Do we know if it's cross-play with PC?

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Someone make a bounty to acquire one of those PC’s

Pretty sure stealing a PC from mazaria in Ikebukuro is gonna get you arrested, and Japanese prosecution is bad news.

IIRC it’s implemented using UE4 btw

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
https://uploadvr.com/oculus-link-resolution-increase-odt/?amp#click=https://t.co/IucUllPZFS

Apparently there is now a way to increase the sharpness and resolution while using the Quest + Link. Very interested to try this out and see what the results are.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Close-range gun kills in SuperHot never get old.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

thats a no from me posted:

I just played a round, it's pretty great. The mix of try hards and people goofing around makes for an entertaining game.

EDIT: Do we know if it's cross-play with PC?

Yeah, its cross play with PC, and PSVR, which is why you need to sign up and link the stupid Uplay stuff, so it can have one friends list across all those systems and whatever else it does.

Also, i just saw that apparently the earlier reports of it not being cross buy is wrong, it DOES in fact support cross-buy, however if you don't own the DLC on PC, it costs $10 (the price of the DLC) to get it on Quest. If you already own the DLC it should be free to download, at least all according to someone from Oculus on reddit:

quote:

Hi all - back with another update. It seems that there was some confusion around how exactly crossbuy functions on Star Trek Bridge Crew. Basically, if you own the base game + the DLC on PC, then the Quest version of the game is free, similar to previous crossbuy titles. However, if you only own the base game and did not purchase the DLC on PC, the Quest version will be $9.99 (using USD in this example, prices vary by currency type as usual). Alternatively, if you only own the base game on PC, you can purchase the DLC on Rift for $9.99, which will also unlock the Quest version of the game. This should now all be configured properly. If you are encountering any issues with crossbuy for this titlte at this time, please contact our customer support team. Thanks for hanging in there with us!

Hey there - we had a slight hiccup earlier, but it actually is crossbuy and should be showing as such now. Would recommend a quick restart of the headset if it's still not showing as crossbuy. If you continue to encounter issues here, please contact Oculus support. Thanks!

EDIT: Hearing that it may not yet be fully resolved. Please hang tight!

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

Yeah, its cross play with PC, and PSVR, which is why you need to sign up and link the stupid Uplay stuff, so it can have one friends list across all those systems and whatever else it does.

Also, i just saw that apparently the earlier reports of it not being cross buy is wrong, it DOES in fact support cross-buy, however if you don't own the DLC on PC, it costs $10 (the price of the DLC) to get it on Quest. If you already own the DLC it should be free to download, at least all according to someone from Oculus on reddit:

Ah, cool to hear, I just based that off checking the store page on the website while logged in to my account. I just checked the app again and it's just like you said, down to $10 since I don't have the dlc

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The DLC's real good, you get the Enterprise D and it turns ongoing voyages into a weird roguelike where you play hide and seek with the Borg

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

homeless snail posted:

The DLC's real good, you get the Enterprise D and it turns ongoing voyages into a weird roguelike where you play hide and seek with the Borg

Yeah also the Ent D is just a lot more fun to control with all the added complexity of the ops station and even tactical needing to time shots. It also looks and controls well with the drat LCARS setup, as opposed to the TOS enterprise which is fun for the primitive nature but a bitch to control.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

homeless snail posted:

The DLC's real good, you get the Enterprise D

:pervert:

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Is Bridge Crew worth playing if I don't plan on ever interacting with other human beings in vr?

Velvet Elvis
Jul 1, 2007

Origami Dali posted:

Is Bridge Crew worth playing if I don't plan on ever interacting with other human beings in vr?

I doubt it. That’s the fun part.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Its not VR Chat. I never ran into any real dicks when I played it, there's just enough of a game there that it focuses people's attention and if they gently caress around its pretty much always alongside doing their poo poo at the station rather than just loving around in general, its like mandatory roleplaying. If you don't want to talk to people just play one of the non-captain stations and give monosyllabic responses whenever someone asks for something.

They did add some voice recognition AI crew on a limited time basis, I think they might still be in the game, but its not really the same if you aren't playing with at least one other person.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Yeah the best part of STBC is when everything starts going tits up, people are panicking, hitting the wrong things, and everyone is shouting at the same time while the bridge and red shirts are exploding around you.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I hope Ubisoft bring Space Junkies over too, as that game'd be pretty ideal for the Quest. At least so long as tracking's okay for grabbing guns and tools off the shoulders and thighs.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Origami Dali posted:

Not really. The game is designed for co-op and while you can play it by yourself giving orders to the AI, its not gonna be fun.

The whole fun is putting on your best Kirk / Picard / Zapp Brannigan accent and bumbling through the borg with your friends.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Zaphod42 posted:

Not really. The game is designed for co-op and while you can play it by yourself giving orders to the AI, its not gonna be fun.

The whole fun is putting on your best Kirk / Picard / Zapp Brannigan accent and bumbling through the borg with your friends.

Playing with 1 person, who was good, as the captain, with a bunch of us idiots who've never played. Was great.

He wouldn't tell us poo poo, No spoilers, just "DO THIS!" and we would have no idea wtf he meant but damnit lets push buttons!

It was a trainwreck in the best possible way.

And I really loved the old enterprise. CLICKY BUTTONS YES!

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Pulsar: Lost Colony is like bridge crew with a bunch of actual game apart from the bridge itself. It's another one you definitely want to play with others but it's equally fun with or without VR. It plays like an open-world cooperative FTL with space station visits, quests, and pretty expansive away missions. There's plenty of fun to have by yourself with the requirement that you figure out how to successfully command a spaceship using a bunch of robots.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

its a Forgotten VR Game, but there's also From Other Suns

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

homeless snail posted:

its a Forgotten VR Game, but there's also From Other Suns

Its still really fun to play, especially with friends due to the rogue like quick pick up and play nature of it, and everything randomized.

Pulsar is.... interesting... but its controls are awful, it looks awful, and its always felt terribly balanced. Its the kind of game I want to like way more than I can. While FoS is only 3 player, I still recommend it if you want some quick fun space adventures with friends, or are a fan of FTL (its basically a straight rip off of FTL but in first person), because its just a way more playable game than Pulsar in VR.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

EbolaIvory posted:

And I really loved the old enterprise. CLICKY BUTTONS YES!

The old enterprise is super hard mode. I appreciate that it feels like you're crewing a submarine in WW1 or something.

New movie enterprise is easy mode.

The Next Gen enterprise they added in DLC is the best of the 3 by far. Also adds some more functions to the gameplay too.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Does stuff just come to the Quest with like 0 announcement or something

Like I looked up what's available and thought oh, lots of games not on it yet. Then stuff just... comes out

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Does stuff just come to the Quest with like 0 announcement or something

Like I looked up what's available and thought oh, lots of games not on it yet. Then stuff just... comes out

It's possible developers rushed to make a Holidays 2019 target and either ran out of time to do marketing, or just didn't plan to speed up dev, because they didn't know Quest sales were going to be as bonkers as they have been. Gotta get those customers' holiday dollars.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

For what it's worth, I was just thinking about Bridge Crew last week and wishing it were on Quest and BAM

So clearly devs just do whatever I will.

I promise to only use my power for good.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Martytoof posted:

where's the jedi knight with vr controllers then???

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Martytoof posted:

For what it's worth, I was just thinking about Bridge Crew last week and wishing it were on Quest and BAM

So clearly devs just do whatever I will.

Rez and Tetris Effect, thank you
Although I can imagine Tetris with motion controls is a bit poo poo. But I still want portable VR Tetris

...Has anyone tried a Quest on a plane? Like, technically you can do it right?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Rez and Tetris Effect, thank you
Although I can imagine Tetris with motion controls is a bit poo poo. But I still want portable VR Tetris

...Has anyone tried a Quest on a plane? Like, technically you can do it right?

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/bx10on/i_can_confirm_that_the_oculus_quest_works_on_a/

https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/e4g6mg/used_my_quest_on_a_plane/

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
My all hands meeting at work the other day devolved into a discussion about how the new conference space would be perfect for playing Bridge Crew.

So there's that.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Tried the Touring Karts demo. It is...............not good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Tom Guycot posted:

Theres another Mario Kart copycat thats coming next year called "Dash Dash World", that might be the one to wait for. Its currently in beta, and from the little i've heard it seems to be good. Its also going to be on PC and PSVR, but also Quest, so you're likely to have more luck finding games than Touring Karts thats only on PC and PS4.

"full" gets thrown around a lot, but I'm guess you mean something like "you go through stages and its not just the same activity in an arena over and over with no story"? Theres not really a list that separates them that specifically, but I can name some ones worth looking into videos of to see if they seem interesting.

Doom 3 BFG. Theres an amazing vr mod for doom 3 that makes it play better than some VR native games, and with the cramped dark corridors, 100% dynamic lighting of doom3, and a flashlight in your hand its honestly an amazing fit for VR.

Skyrim and Fallout 4 VR. fallout 4 is far more of the garbage port, but they're also both just old games with varying levels of VR quality added on. If you already liked them you might be interested, but, its still skyrim and fallout 4.

Budget Cuts (1+2 now) Should fit that niche. Stealth moving around killing robots, with some quirks to the throwing and some mechanics but overall pretty well liked.

Edge of Nowhere, a 3rd person game like chronos, by Insomniac and set in a lovecraftian world in antarctica. I really loved this one, and its on sale often.

Wilson's Heart, a puzzle/adventure game, but honestly the puzzles are mostly so easy that it plays more like an interactive story. Cool black and white 50's horror setting, and a neat ~5-6 hour story to play through. Early game so its teleportation only which is often a criticism, but still a really cool experience.

Arktika.1 A shooter that like other earlier games is also teleportation based. Made by the developers of the metro games, its certainly beautiful. Lots of levels, missions, weapons and upgrades, and a neat setting. The way you teleport around to certain locations forces you to use your surroundings to move in and get cover for real, and almost feels like a VR version of a light gun game in that way.

Windlands 2 A game mostly about swinging around to reach the end of the level, the sequel added more of a campaign, weapons and bosses and co-op. Its much more fleshed out than the first.

Killing Floor Incursion, ironically this Killing Floor is a narrative game where you go through stages either alone or co-op, and NOT an arena shooter.

Talos Principle is a VR port of the original puzzle game, much like...

Obduction, also a VR port, which if you like puzzle games is also worth looking at.

Lucky's Tale is a (still i think?) free 3rd person platformer. Think mario 64 in VR, thats really adorable and pretty, worth playing for sure at the price of free.

Thats what I can think of off the top of my head right now at least for older VR games that might be missed now by all the new people jumping in.

All 3 Serious Sam games. Croteam does great packages/sales. Wait a few days for the winter sale and then pick up the 4 Serious Sam games and Talos Principle. It's the best deal in VR and has a TON of content probably will be 75+% off.