Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Posting this in here because it's mad and still better than the vast majority of the current BMW lineup in terms of looks.

https://twitter.com/1988bmw520i/status/1205070143174275072

Looks like the BMW had an orgy with a Scion xB and a 1976 Renault 5 turbo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Posting this in here because it's mad and still better than the vast majority of the current BMW lineup in terms of looks.

https://twitter.com/1988bmw520i/status/1205070143174275072

:hmmyes:

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

I know there are a shitload of these touge monster best motoring videos and they have been doing them for years and years now but every time one pops up on my youtube its always the most concentrated car awesomeness I see anywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t742T1GwUs

I like motortrend but they aint got poo poo on these guys. the stuff in nearly dark from 24mins on is mental

Qmass fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 13, 2019

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Sometimes human evolution takes a leap.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

evobatman posted:

Sometimes human evolution takes a leap.

Fumoto here will be happy to help drag you into the future.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

madeintaipei posted:

Too bad AISS is done.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Anyone who doesn't own a Fumoto valve is a neanderthal. They're game changers as far as fast, clean oil changes are concerned.

Now if only they had a solution for making my oil filter change just a little bit cleaner.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

MetaJew posted:

Anyone who doesn't own a Fumoto valve is a neanderthal. They're game changers as far as fast, clean oil changes are concerned.

Now if only they had a solution for making my oil filter change just a little bit cleaner.

Ive been wanting one forever and after my first oil change on the Sierra that shot oil all the way to the tire and made a mess, I suppose it's time.

Someone should invent a stick on filter piercer to drain them before you unscrew it. Hoseclamp and wet tap for the icemaker should do it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

MetaJew posted:

sorry but an oil extractor is what you want if you want to prove you're not doing neanderthal oil changes

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

BraveUlysses posted:

sorry but an oil extractor is what you want if you want to prove you're not doing neanderthal oil changes

Don't you then have to have magnets and a consumable oil pan?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Heh, this talk made me look up Castrol Nexcel. Basically an oil change in a box. Still not a dead idea.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

What's the point of an extractor when the oil just falls out the bottom of the sump? Does it collect more oil? Slightly faster?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

No crawling under with a drainpan.

Of course the benefit is lost on most cars since you'll still need that pan to do the oil filter.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

madeintaipei posted:

As would: https://ezoildrainvalve.com/index.html

And these guys: https://www.femco.com/products/?pro...ter_engine=9667

This one is pretty good too: https://www.nospillsystems.com/

Something like this is similar to number 2 above: http://www.stahlbus.com/products/en/oil-drain-valve/index.php

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

taqueso posted:

What's the point of an extractor when the oil just falls out the bottom of the sump? Does it collect more oil? Slightly faster?

look at these fools who don't see the value in not having to replace the crush washer

money in the BANK

Butt Science
Sep 3, 2007

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Speaking of neon and kei trucks a scooter shop in Portland is planning on putting a Hayabusa motor in a neon Daihatsu.

I've watched them load that up with 2 scooters in the bed and one on the roof. They are scooter insanity

Speaking of Hayabusa motor swaps, a guy local to me is putting one in an old Subaru Sambar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huTSi5iGRVk

He also has a Daihatsu Hijet with a Chevy small block in it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

Of course the benefit is lost on most cars since you'll still need that pan to do the oil filter.

Correct, but honestly I'd like it for my LS because it holds 9 loving quarts and shoots out like a drat fire hydrant when opened. First time I changed it made the worst mess i've ever made changing oil in my life.

Might have to get one of those just to save the mess it would make.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You say that, but holy poo poo extractors are slow. The only redeeming factor is that you can (and should) start when the engine is still toasty hot since you aren't worrying about scalding your arm.

But yeah, I'm slowly putting EZ drains in everything I own.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Correct, but honestly I'd like it for my LS because it holds 9 loving quarts and shoots out like a drat fire hydrant when opened. First time I changed it made the worst mess i've ever made changing oil in my life.

Might have to get one of those just to save the mess it would make.

i think most of the consumer grade ones max out at 5qt so you'll have to dump it twice...but most drain pans dont take 9q either.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Pre-K Bikini Carwash posted:

Speaking of Hayabusa motor swaps, a guy local to me is putting one in an old Subaru Sambar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huTSi5iGRVk

He also has a Daihatsu Hijet with a Chevy small block in it.

Cool. I need to catch up with him - I stopped watching shortly after he finished the Daihatsu.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

i think most of the consumer grade ones max out at 5qt so you'll have to dump it twice...but most drain pans dont take 9q either.

I found one on Amazon that's 9 liters, 50 bucks I think I'm gonna get it.

Luckily my drain pan was empty and barely held what came out, although a quart or two probably ended up on the floor of my carport. I had no idea the car held that much it surprised the poo poo out of me.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The best oil change story I've got is when my dad's friend used one of the then-new covered oil pans on his air-cooled 911. It had the capacity... but not the flow. Slicked down half the driveway.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Be careful that it is 9 liters and not 9qts or vice versa. My friend goofed and mixed the two up, with his E46 m3. I want to say he had something like a 6 qt oil drain pan and a 6 liter oil change and had a big spill.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
Just picture the mess I got to help clean up when my dad had the drain plug blasted out from between his fingers doing a change on an NHC250 in a 5 ton. It landed directly in the funnel that was feeding an empty 5 gallon can and perfectly clogged it (like a cork really) and then instantly overflowed and dumped probably 10-12 of 27 qts on the ground before we could get the funnel open to get the rest into the can(s).

Cat litter cleaned it up pretty quickly and the asphalt looked great!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

MetaJew posted:

Be careful that it is 9 liters and not 9qts or vice versa. My friend goofed and mixed the two up, with his E46 m3. I want to say he had something like a 6 qt oil drain pan and a 6 liter oil change and had a big spill.

It's 9 liters which equals 9.5 quarts so I'll be good

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

IOwnCalculus posted:

Exactly this, even for the fumoto valve. There's no point when you still have to go through all the same annoyances for the filter. My car also has a cover plate with 9 bolts to remove so what's one more for the drain. If I had a GT86 or WRX with the top-mount filter, then we'd be talking.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

IOwnCalculus posted:

The best oil change story I've got is when my dad's friend used one of the then-new covered oil pans on his air-cooled 911. It had the capacity... but not the flow. Slicked down half the driveway.

:yooge: jet fuel can absolutely melt air cooled cylinders

IOwnCalculus posted:

glad i have a dumpy old car that has the filter at a high point in the engine bay but all the same it feels like modern designs exist under the assumption that the changes will happen somewhere there's a lift (or a garage with an oil pit from the mid 20th century) and everything can be swapped easy

which tbh makes a bunch of sense considering how much longer modern cars can run between lube changes, which equalizes the labor and material costs to a big degree

Bulgakov fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Dec 17, 2019

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

rifles posted:

Cat litter cleaned it up pretty quickly and the asphalt looked great!

Never underestimate the power of kitty litter. I had an Exxon Valdez moment several times and it has bailed me out.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
https://twitter.com/LouiseCookGB/status/1206929862545616901

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So there's a Honda tuner/builder/fabricator around the corner from me and they turn CRZ's into the real CRX they should have been and I loving want one

http://www.lhtperformance.net/documents/kr-z.html

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

So there's a Honda tuner/builder/fabricator around the corner from me and they turn CRZ's into the real CRX they should have been and I loving want one

http://www.lhtperformance.net/documents/kr-z.html

Holy crap, I saw some dudes do that swap on YT and it's like a slap in the face how good that car could have been.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

NA, 210+ hp and 40mpg.....It's perfect.

I'm really tempted to stop by their shop and talk to them about it.....I wonder if they have a good source for cheap CRZs, but if not it's pretty easy to find them.

Doesn't say if they require a manual car or not tho.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
17K plus donor car lol

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I don't think the price is bad for having someone else build it, all that cost is mostly labor :shrug:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
LHT is also known for turning the dogshit Kraftwerks S2000 supercharger kits into something that doesn't break immediately. :barf:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I don't think the price is bad for having someone else build it, all that cost is mostly labor :shrug:

Mostly, but not by a huge margin. It's not like the desirable K20s that everyone wants for swaps like this are cheap.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah didn't think of that....The list is pretty long and it adds up, new shock valving and custom springs etc.

I think it's a fair price for a unique car that would be super fun and reliable. Sounds like a great track/autoX car too. I love that it's NA and 210+ hp the power delivery must be loving sweet in a light car like that.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
You should just test drive an 8th gen Civic Si. Same motor/trans/lsd as that car, a FlashPro with tune fixes the VTEC changeover dip and lets you safely rev them out to 8600. Fun to drive, cheap, and reliable.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I probably would have driven one already if i could find one under 100k miles, all the ones for sale I've seen so far are up there.

And the 9th gen is just kinda blah.