Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i think labour were hosed either way and the best chance we ever had was mays deal + permananet customs union that came close except for CUK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Pictured: The last stand of the Lib Dems, before they were overrun by the Squirrel Army. Look at those brave souls.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
When it comes to electing the new leader is it going to be a straight vote among the members or do you reckon there's going to be some kind of attempt to pull a bullshit "entryism guard" thing and say only people who have been members so long? Like, before the date is announced or something. For real, I don't know how possible that is, but I just know there's gonna be a push by some to swing rightward and it's really important the next leader is the one we'd want to see.

It might be a good idea in any case if there's any lurkers in the thread who voted but didn't join to join, and sooner rather than later, just in case someone tries to pull some poo poo. Sorry if this comes off alarmist but I'm just really suspicious someone's gonna try something fucky and I'd hate to see people who want to vote locked out if that's even remotely possible.

In any case it can't hurt for people who want to see the best replacement for Corbyn to join now, right?

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

https://twitter.com/scottygb/status/1205291535539027968

“If I was a female fighter jet pilot I would expect someone to say ‘don’t wear a burka’.”

Stanley Johnson continued:

“Of course, if I were a female muslim fighter pilot named Mustafa I wouldn’t be wearing a burka in the first place because I’m not a pathetic browbeaten harem girl.

“Of course, I wouldn’t be Muslim in the first place because I’m not a credulous idiot seduced by a moon god.

“Of course, I wouldn’t be female in the first place because I’m not a weak, whining softie who should be kept away from the battle lines.

“In fact, I think I would just be the fighter jet.”

Stanley Johnson has been pretty loving busy, actually, running his mouth off about anything and everything. He’s a whooping gammon who gets loads of media appearances, and there’s bound to be plenty of stuff we can use.

Stanley is Boris without his filter. We should tie the bastards together. Stanley yells what Boris dogwhistles. Stanley is who Boris runs to when he’s scared. The doting father of a worthless overgrown schoolyard bully. Tough guy Boris can't stand up for himself. He needs his daddy and he needs his fridge.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Stanley Johnson is a loving moron.

He was on this season of Celebrity Hunted. Used his personal credit card multiple times claiming "Oh they wont track this card because its a secret one". Spoilers, they were tracking it and had his location pretty much constantly.

This is also the guy who failed an interview for MI5 due to a "Blonde in a mini skirt"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Was the blonde in the mini skirt the interviewer and he walked in and said "oh, are you here to keep me company until your boss arrives fnarr phrarr phroar?"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol ministers have been banned from going to davos

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Guavanaut posted:

Was the blonde in the mini skirt the interviewer and he walked in and said "oh, are you here to keep me company until your boss arrives fnarr phrarr phroar?"

quote:

He spent nine months training but failed an exercise after being side-tracked by a ‘young woman with blonde hair and a short skirt’. She was an MI5 ‘plant’, brought in to test if he would complete his mission.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Isomermaid posted:

When it comes to electing the new leader is it going to be a straight vote among the members or do you reckon there's going to be some kind of attempt to pull a bullshit "entryism guard" thing and say only people who have been members so long? Like, before the date is announced or something. For real, I don't know how possible that is, but I just know there's gonna be a push by some to swing rightward and it's really important the next leader is the one we'd want to see.

It might be a good idea in any case if there's any lurkers in the thread who voted but didn't join to join, and sooner rather than later, just in case someone tries to pull some poo poo. Sorry if this comes off alarmist but I'm just really suspicious someone's gonna try something fucky and I'd hate to see people who want to vote locked out if that's even remotely possible.

In any case it can't hurt for people who want to see the best replacement for Corbyn to join now, right?

There's usually a 6 month period from when you join to when you can vote on stuff in the Labour Party. They could do the registered supporter thing again I suppose, but then you don't need to be a member anyway.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
David Cameron was spotted for the KGB but failed after having sexual relations with a plant. A Balkan autumn crocus I believe.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

David Cameron was spotted for the KGB but failed after having sexual relations with a plant. A Balkan autumn crocus I believe.

It was actually a pig.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Ah a pot bellied pig

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Pistol_Pete posted:

I've reluctantly come to agree with this, 'cos I'd prefer to persuade people through reasoned argument. However, I've seen too many interviews where a Labour rep who showed up with a good policy and good explanations was wilfully misunderstood and talked over by the interviewer, before their Tory counterpart came out with a load of bombastic nonsense that clearly went down better with the viewers.

So yeah, going forwards, if we have decent policies, that's great! But treat the media as the unfair battle that it is and go at them with that attitude. Stop trying to be reasonable because that's just viewed as weakness.

Does the political parties not have an intelligence apparatus? They must be a left-wing equivalent of "scan Facebook for any incriminating posts by aspiring leftists". Coordinated weaponizing of the opposition's scandals is surely a thing.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Z the IVth posted:

Does the political parties not have an intelligence apparatus? They must be a left-wing equivalent of "scan Facebook for any incriminating posts by aspiring leftists". Coordinated weaponizing of the opposition's scandals is surely a thing.

The problem is that the bar for what constitutes a scandal is very different for left and right wing leaders. Like, a right wing leader would have to gently caress a pig for it to be considered a scandal. Look at Johnson's kids, racism, etc. Nobody cares.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

You don't want to know what young Davie did to his piggy bank :stare:

Got some quite strange ideas about anatomy from that.

:gonk: :mrapig:

Braggart fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Dec 17, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

the chakrabarti report said that this absolutely shouldn't happen and then it did to punish people for old posts

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Braggart posted:

You don't want to know what young Davie did to his piggy bank :stare:

Got some quite strange ideas about anatomy from that.

:gonk: :mrapig:

For Cameron, the piggy bank and the spank bank were the same thing.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jose posted:

the chakrabarti report said that this absolutely shouldn't happen and then it did to punish people for old posts

Social media is a poison and Zuckerberg is our doctor doom.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
RE: kinder gentler politics, I think the left movements here should all take a page out of the south american leftist movements, which like to do a lot of hardcore protest and direct action (e.g. going by the thousand to a flooded area and giving the people relief, or setting up parallel education systems and food banks, etc), and join together with unions to bulk up

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/DarrenEuronews/status/1206916883972272128

https://twitter.com/DarrenEuronews/status/1206918056527708160

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Miftan posted:

The problem is that the bar for what constitutes a scandal is very different for left and right wing leaders. Like, a right wing leader would have to gently caress a pig for it to be considered a scandal. Look at Johnson's kids, racism, etc. Nobody cares.

Weakness. They are going fash, which is all about strength. Make them look weak and pathetic and you start to break them.

Plenty of people already hate Boris. We need to make the gammons lose respect for him.

Tie the whole cabinet and party to him (I'm sure he'll help) and take the strongman down :getin:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

Social media is a poison and Zuckerberg is our doctor doom.

Zuck is nowhere near as cool as Doom and is probably a much shittier person as well.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Someone mentioned that Liz is prolly gonna pop her clogs this parliament and I am absolutely expecting someone on twitter called @JeremyCorbyn42069 to tweet out "hahahahahaha just strangled the old bint, now to finish off her doggos!" and the media will do absolutely no fact-checking before making it a Labour scandal

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Miftan posted:

It was actually a pig.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ods2u__lMgw

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

I will not stand for the slander and lies hurled at Doctor Victor Van Doom by this thread.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Priti Patel enjoying reviewing new tactical police equipment

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

"I respect that he's going to drive us over the edge of the cliff - it takes guts to decide to crash headlong into this chasm. Really, this is the day Boris became Prime Minister."

jacksbrat
Oct 15, 2012

Miftan posted:

There's usually a 6 month period from when you join to when you can vote on stuff in the Labour Party. They could do the registered supporter thing again I suppose, but then you don't need to be a member anyway.

I don't know if there will be much crowing about entryism this time, as there seems to be an emergent pro-Phillips push for joining. Of course that won't be called entryism, that's brave souls fighting to restore the sensible centre to the Labour Party. Entryism will only emerge as a problem again if RLB and Rayner win instead; or will that just be the problem of an entrenched Corbynist agenda?

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Communist Bear posted:

"I respect that he's going to drive us the idiot Brits over the edge of the cliff - it takes guts to decide to crash headlong into this chasm. Really, this is the day Boris became Prime Minister."

Fixed that for you

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Purple Prince posted:

Priti Patel enjoying reviewing new tactical police equipment

That is an actual May quote if you didn't know.

She's had some good ones, i.e. "people voted for pain".

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

CyberPingu posted:

Stanley Johnson is a loving moron.

He was on this season of Celebrity Hunted. Used his personal credit card multiple times claiming "Oh they wont track this card because its a secret one". Spoilers, they were tracking it and had his location pretty much constantly.

This is also the guy who failed an interview for MI5 due to a "Blonde in a mini skirt"

Don't the camera crew who's with them just phone in the location whenever they use a card / atm etc anyway? They don't actually have all of that access, they just replicate what can be done if needed.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

jacksbrat posted:

I don't know if there will be much crowing about entryism this time, as there seems to be an emergent pro-Phillips push for joining. Of course that won't be called entryism, that's brave souls fighting to restore the sensible centre to the Labour Party. Entryism will only emerge as a problem again if RLB and Rayner win instead; or will that just be the problem of an entrenched Corbynist agenda?

Agreed 100%.

On a different note it's important to remember Boris was also a part of the pig loving club so has also definitely (allegedly) hosed a dead pig

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Private Speech posted:

I did, but Priti Patel fits the supervillain role so much better.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Private Speech posted:

She's had some good ones.
Cameron, apparently.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...n-10246517.html

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Ahh okay sorry, thought it was May.

Mass of Tory scum, all alike.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Private Speech posted:

She's had some good ones, i.e. "people voted for pain".

Cameron iirc , after he got his majority in 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

CyberPingu posted:

quote:

He spent nine months training but failed an exercise after being side-tracked by a ‘young woman with blonde hair and a short skirt’. She was an MI5 ‘plant’, brought in to test if he would complete his mission.

I mean that makes him the perfect British spy, doesn't it? This is probably what the real James Bond looks and sounds like, and with a similar level of competence, brash overconfidence and obsession with his own nethers.

As a matter of fact, I've thought for a while that Andrew Marr should be the next James Bond. Daniel Craig looks kind of like an idealised version of him, I think: