Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

1337_ScriptKiddie posted:

By the time I get out I will have been in for 9 years. I'm looking for the healthcare, and to make an extra k on my retirement.
I think you should take a close look at a reserves retirement calculator.. 9 years might get you slightly more than 1k monthly total, in 2019 dollars, and it won't start until your mid/late 50s. By all means do it for the Tricare if you don't have a better healthcare option -- it's great -- but reserves pension is a joke unless you do a pile of active time/mobilizations beyond your minimum drilling requirements at which point why not just be AD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Hi guys, I start terminal in three weeks, and my command admin LPO is stating they won't have a DD 214 for me because I didn't turn in my separation package 90 days prior to start of terminal (he says I was told this but that seems like the kind of info I would retain), and that Millington wouldn't have time to generate everything and MNCC will not have my DD 214 and separation orders ready. I read the BUPERSINST on DD 214s and it says that I'm due one of those at the start of terminal in very specific and direct language. Help me understand how I'm misreading the instruction and commands are allowed to disregard BUPERSINST as they see fit because they feel like it in admin, correct?

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

maffew buildings posted:

Hi guys, I start terminal in three weeks, and my command admin LPO is stating they won't have a DD 214 for me because I didn't turn in my separation package 90 days prior to start of terminal (he says I was told this but that seems like the kind of info I would retain), and that Millington wouldn't have time to generate everything and MNCC will not have my DD 214 and separation orders ready. I read the BUPERSINST on DD 214s and it says that I'm due one of those at the start of terminal in very specific and direct language. Help me understand how I'm misreading the instruction and commands are allowed to disregard BUPERSINST as they see fit because they feel like it in admin, correct?

Are you on a ship? I recommend telling your COC that you want to speak to the XO about this. Drag your DIVO and go talk to the DH and the XO. Make them get their panties in a bunch and support you. We do so much disservice to our sailors with poor admin. Don't expect those fuckers in admin to help you. Be polite with them but tell them that you want to speak to the XO.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I am not on a ship, in a Seabee Battalion. My immediate COC is copied in on the email that I sent citing the BUPERSINST to the entire admin department, I'm on leave and don't get back until next Monday so that doesn't help, though. Haven't seen any response or gotten any calls today about it. Will make a bigger issue when I'm back if we don't get any movement. Talking to the XO is a good idea, and I"m getting out, so why would I need to drag my chain in to this when I have his email?

Honestly my main concern is them loving up so hard I don't get it by my EAOS, or is this pretty much something that is unheard of? I think this poo poo is IG worthy either way because a lot of guys have been hosed over on it recently.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

maffew buildings posted:

I am not on a ship, in a Seabee Battalion. My immediate COC is copied in on the email that I sent citing the BUPERSINST to the entire admin department, I'm on leave and don't get back until next Monday so that doesn't help, though. Haven't seen any response or gotten any calls today about it. Will make a bigger issue when I'm back if we don't get any movement. Talking to the XO is a good idea, and I"m getting out, so why would I need to drag my chain in to this when I have his email?

Honestly my main concern is them loving up so hard I don't get it by my EAOS, or is this pretty much something that is unheard of? I think this poo poo is IG worthy either way because a lot of guys have been hosed over on it recently.

You should push to get it by EAOS or when you go on terminal but there are cases where it's not ready and you have go pick it up after you have left the Navy. Happened to my best friend who got out at the same time as me. I was able to pickup my DD214 at my final appointment with PSD one day before going on terminal leave but he had to come pick it up two months later. System is wack.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Don't expect it to get sorted on its own, go annoy whoever you have to to make sure you get what you need. Squeaky eel gets the grease and all that

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I was told it will be emailed to the address on my separation questionnaire. Will clarify I want a hard copy because email is a recipe for me never getting it. We also don't have PSD.

It's just absurd they are running off of whatever they feel like and ignoring the instructions set forth by NPC. They got my sep pack 60 days prior to EAOS. Five weeks is plenty of time to do this by my terminal start. I suppose expecting basic competence is a bit much.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

maffew buildings posted:

Navy Thread: expecting basic competence is a bit much

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
I admittedly know nothing of how this poo poo works as a dirty civilian, but have you considered printing out the ruleset that supports you in the clearest of terms and sitting down in their office pointing to it, while repeatedly asking them for physical evidence that this directive is suspended in their specific case? Basically make them squirm as they realize that they are being forced to either do their jobs or face consequences for breach of ...whatever you people pretend to have in place... (not snarky, just ignorant here)

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I know this doesn't help but reservists have been getting gently caress hard by the PSD consolidation / cost savings. I got lucky that I went through demob right before things changed with PSD Norfolk but it's a "flag-level issue" that pay and DD 214s are delayed. Who cares about actually helping Sailors

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Well this isn’t good I mob in less than two weeks. What should I stay on top of in particularly?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

SerthVarnee posted:

I admittedly know nothing of how this poo poo works as a dirty civilian, but have you considered printing out the ruleset that supports you in the clearest of terms and sitting down in their office pointing to it, while repeatedly asking them for physical evidence that this directive is suspended in their specific case? Basically make them squirm as they realize that they are being forced to either do their jobs or face consequences for breach of ...whatever you people pretend to have in place... (not snarky, just ignorant here)

I did this is in an email to their entire department, as my point of contact is gone and left the admin all hands distro for any issues. The main thing is there's generally zero consequences for not doing their jobs.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Nick Soapdish posted:

I know this doesn't help but reservists have been getting gently caress hard by the PSD consolidation / cost savings. I got lucky that I went through demob right before things changed with PSD Norfolk but it's a "flag-level issue" that pay and DD 214s are delayed. Who cares about actually helping Sailors

https://twitter.com/AN_Goldstein/status/1201493010925735937?s=20

She raised a bit of a poo poo storm over the poor bureaucracy and mismanagement of the Reserves. I see similar tweets all the time, and from fairly well known and influential people in the Reserves. Former USNA professors, congressional staff members, or SES gov people, and even they get hosed.

Part of the reason why I pulled my Reserve application. My mentor and former CO told me not to do the Reserves when I was getting out because he thinks "it's just enough to suck up a lot of time without ever being important enough to scratch that itch. Just stay active duty if you want to play Navy."

I wanted to go back in because I saw all the ADSW opportunities in the DC area and got jealous of the people doing them. Six month gigs at OSD, special project roles to COCOMs etc... but in the end it will never be the same if I stayed in as a SWO. YMMV.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/TheBaseLeg/status/1206887089104490496?s=19

Gonna make a nice reef someday

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

What kind of power plant?

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
Should just be steam. Wonder if they’re gonna add any extra doodads like their fake railgun they were trying to pretend they developed.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

The might Dong about to set sail.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Kalessin ofSelidor posted:

Should just be steam. Wonder if they’re gonna add any extra doodads like their fake railgun they were trying to pretend they developed.

Are they deploying a nuclear aircraft carrier to their territorial waters or is it conventional?

Edit: doh, I see, it's likely conventional steam

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Dec 17, 2019

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
Honestly with the way they keeping throwing dirt in the water to make islands and claim additional territorial waters I keep hoping for some Chinese navy captain to run aground because they didn’t update their charts.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Kalessin ofSelidor posted:

Honestly with the way they keeping throwing dirt in the water to make islands and claim additional territorial waters I keep hoping for some Chinese navy captain to run aground because they didn’t update their charts.

Some South China Sea nations do it on purpose.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-southchinasea-philippines-shoal-exclu-idUSKCN0PN2HN20150714

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Edit: Nevermind - Got an answer.

piL fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Dec 18, 2019

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

What is going on in here?

Gray Matter posted:

I think you should take a close look at a reserves retirement calculator.. 9 years might get you slightly more than 1k monthly total, in 2019 dollars, and it won't start until your mid/late 50s. By all means do it for the Tricare if you don't have a better healthcare option -- it's great -- but reserves pension is a joke unless you do a pile of active time/mobilizations beyond your minimum drilling requirements at which point why not just be AD.

Well the big reason not to be AD is so I can lose my nuclear NEC.

also what's the stop me from getting a good civilian job too I thought they can't discriminate based on reserve status?

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Nothing, but if you have a good civilian job why the hell would you join the reserves?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Gray Matter posted:

Nothing, but if you have a good civilian job why the hell would you join the reserves?

Tricare

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

ded posted:

Tricare

This cant be understated. Catastrophic cap is so goddamn low. If you got sickly family members it deserves a long hard look .

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Idk man, I'm not denying that TRS is great insurance, but I'm graduating after spring semester and planning to dip out the reserves just as soon as I can get on a decent employer health plan. Will it be more expensive? Most likely. Will it be worth it to no longer have to sacrifice my free time to deal with the headache of the reserves? Absolutely.

FTN

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
If my wife did not have the awesome healthcare that covers both of us and my daughter and my grandson (for a few more years at least) I would have broken down and done it myself.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Gray Matter posted:

Idk man, I'm not denying that TRS is great insurance, but I'm graduating after spring semester and planning to dip out the reserves just as soon as I can get on a decent employer health plan. Will it be more expensive? Most likely. Will it be worth it to no longer have to sacrifice my free time to deal with the headache of the reserves? Absolutely.

FTN

If you are single and young (under 40), then Tricare is not that much better than most high deductible plans with HSA. Also, lots of employers straight up pay for all your healthcare for singles. Since leaving the Navy I've worked at a non profit and a defense contractor. Former paid like 80% of the premium in addition to putting into $600 into an HSA on my behalf and latter paid for the monthly premiums 100%. Now about to start a government job. Government employees who are in the reserves/guard cannot use Tricare by law. Part of the reason, but not the main one, why I decided not to go in the reserves. Good thing is that government health care is decent.

Just remember why Tricare is a decent deal, it's there to keep you deployment/mob ready. If you have a family, then Tricare could be convincing but you get it at the sacrifice of being away from them and eventually mobbing.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Hey guys, you're supposed to be provided with a hard copy DD 214 upon separation, not just be emailed a copy, yeah? Is being told it will be emailed to me just another instance of my admin LPO telling me lies/is this stuff covered anywhere other than BUPERSINST 1900.8E? Just covering my bases, since I sent the admin all hands an email essentially saying the LPO is bad at his job.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

maffew buildings posted:

Hey guys, you're supposed to be provided with a hard copy DD 214 upon separation, not just be emailed a copy, yeah? Is being told it will be emailed to me just another instance of my admin LPO telling me lies/is this stuff covered anywhere other than BUPERSINST 1900.8E? Just covering my bases, since I sent the admin all hands an email essentially saying the LPO is bad at his job.

I got a hard copy and they emailed the VA and I think the vso of my choice at my home of record a copy so there were multiple redundancies.for my freedom papers.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Yeah I got told they'll just email me, which sounds like bullshit since I don't know if that's member copy 1 or 4 or what. My unut is bad at stuff.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Tricare is pretty shittastic compared to almost any private insurance. But if you’ve got nothing else...really pension is better reason to go reserve.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I’m honestly pretty happy with my VA healthcare. I like that i have zero medical expenditures or limits on my coverage.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

ActusRhesus posted:

Tricare is pretty shittastic compared to almost any private insurance. But if you’ve got nothing else...really pension is better reason to go reserve.

It's awful if you have good health and zero issues. For my wife, it's a godsend because we'd be buried in medical debt with any other plan.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Thronde posted:

It's awful if you have good health and zero issues. For my wife, it's a godsend because we'd be buried in medical debt with any other plan.

Repeat. Catastrophic cap of 1k is amazing. My old job had a 30k cap.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
TRIcare beats the gently caress out of what my wife’s job offers, and I doubt I get offered anything better starting out in IT / Programming in 2021.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
fair enough. I just recall being a high risk pregnancy and being told they didn't give appointments until mid second trimester, so here's some prenatal pills you could have bought over the counter. Have a nice day.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

maffew buildings posted:

I got a real blue stamped original of mine from some office at the base PSD or whatever the hell they call it

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

ActusRhesus posted:

fair enough. I just recall being a high risk pregnancy and being told they didn't give appointments until mid second trimester, so here's some prenatal pills you could have bought over the counter. Have a nice day.

Jesus that's pretty poo poo.

I've been real glad to be out the VA system and on school health insurance for the last 6 years. University system is way nicer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

ActusRhesus posted:

Are you talking Tricare Reserves Select, or Tricare Prime? Because despite the misleading naming scheme, they are very different animals. TRS actually results in much better medical care in my experience. You can go out to any civilian provider without getting your visit pre-approved, and you aren't forced to see "doctors" in military clinics.

Gray Matter fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Dec 20, 2019