Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

"They died"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Rey has no connection to Palpatine whatsoever until they retcon in the final movie of this trilogy that she is related to him through *Force Magic* or whatever. Which just makes the decision to have him as the ultimate puppet master even dumber. In the PT he helps to corrupt Anakin, and in the OT he is the one who controls Luke’s father. There is no connection here. It’s just dumb.

I mean, he corrupts Kylo by proxy but yeah it's flimsy and dumb. There are the bare bones of a thematic narrative here (Palpatine loses Rey, corrupts Ben to make up for it, etc) but it's obvious they had no intention of going in this direction on TFA or TLJ so the whole thing just falls apart.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Dec 17, 2019

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Edit

Confused Snoke and Palps. Lamo

Never mind

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
so KOTOR is canon or what the gently caress has mickey mouse said anything about this?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Jerk McJerkface posted:

If anyone rates the 9 movies and comes out with anything other than Empire as number one, their opinion is clearly invalid.

The first one is better

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Zeta Acosta posted:

so KOTOR is canon or what the gently caress has mickey mouse said anything about this?

Official Disney Canon is just the six original movies + Clone Wars + anything made post buyout, though they've lifted and readapted elements like Thrawn into their own works.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Canon isn't a real thing so who gives a poo poo. Also yes Kotor 1&2 are real because they had solid stories

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Mat Cauthon posted:

I mean, he corrupts Kylo by proxy but yeah it's flimsy and dumb.

The most egregious aspect of this sequel trilogy is that it is not about anything. There is no actual story here or even a lesson for the audience to walk away with

At least the prequels were a cautionary tale about how a representative republic goes belly up (a tale that seems oddly prophetic in a post 2016 world). Can anyone even state what this sequel trilogy was supposed to be about?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Not so fast!

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1206929808439025668?s=20

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Quest for Shareholder Value and Theme Park Tie Ins

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

mastershakeman posted:

Canon isn't a real thing so who gives a poo poo.

That idea is gonna get really popular in just a few days.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

G-III posted:

At least the prequels were a cautionary tale about how a representative republic goes belly up (a tale that seems oddly prophetic in a post 2016 world). Can anyone even state what this sequel trilogy was supposed to be about?

A war, in the stars

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The worst take on the spoilers I’ve seen so far is a bunch of dweebs complaining that Rey having a yellow lightsaber is some sort of tragedy because it goes against some obscure EU story

Who gives a poo poo

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/seanoneal/status/1206960807516483586?s=19

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Charitably, the sequels are (unintentionally) about liberal confusion and malaise in the pre-collapse era. Cheers

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

G-III posted:

it's about one very boring woman, and to hell with anyone else in the galaxy when they're not directly interacting with her

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

G-III posted:

The most egregious aspect of this sequel trilogy is that it is not about anything. There is no actual story here or even a lesson for the audience to walk away with

I don't know what its SUPPOSED to be about, but its clearly actually about centrist liberalism having an existential meltdown in the wake of their End of History doctrine being absolutely proven wrong

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Can’t wait to buy a new Rey saber and hold it at waist level and piss out my blade.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

YaketySass posted:

Official Disney Canon is just the six original movies + Clone Wars + anything made post buyout, though they've lifted and readapted elements like Thrawn into their own works.

gently caress off disney canon is the six first movies and kotor 1 and 2

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

egon_beeblebrox posted:

A war, in the stars

After reading these spoilers I can confirm that this is the only Star War I give a poo poo about now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqQ_d-6aZ8s

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I don't know what its SUPPOSED to be about, but its clearly actually about centrist liberalism having an existential meltdown in the wake of their End of History doctrine being absolutely proven wrong

This write up might actually help me get through Rise of Skywalker when I eventually see it on streaming.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The most pointless series of movies ever created

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
It's always my brain to latch onto the dumb questions, like the miniature details. Like all the dumb Palpatine Granddaughter turns out he's a nexus for all sith souls nonsense, that's... hilarious.

Then I see the final scene which is Rey doing the Luke stair at the sunset, making this the 2nd or 3rd time they've gone to this fuckin' shot in this trilogy... and BB-8 is with her... and unless I'm crazy... she doesn't really give a poo poo about BB-8? Like he spends most his time with Finn. And all of sudden he's with her. And despite accepting all the really stupid poo poo, I just go... why?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Yeah if the sequel movies have any lasting significance this will be it. They encapsulate a very specific political moment and mindset without even really trying to.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

G-III posted:

Don't question authority.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Onmi posted:

It's always my brain to latch onto the dumb questions, like the miniature details. Like all the dumb Palpatine Granddaughter turns out he's a nexus for all sith souls nonsense, that's... hilarious.

Then I see the final scene which is Rey doing the Luke stair at the sunset, making this the 2nd or 3rd time they've gone to this fuckin' shot in this trilogy... and BB-8 is with her... and unless I'm crazy... she doesn't really give a poo poo about BB-8? Like he spends most his time with Finn. And all of sudden he's with her. And despite accepting all the really stupid poo poo, I just go... why?

BB-8 is Poe's astromech.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Sheev is russiagate, in that its western liberalism deciding to blame all their failures on the perfidy of a long-dead enemy rather than confronting the reasons why they actually failed

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The sequel trilogy was a successful effort to create the least nice meltdown of all time

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Look the shot has to be Jedi+everyones favorite Droid stop asking questions

It would have been r2 but the merchandising on him has run its course. Speaking of which im glad super soldier r2 lives on, ready to fight more wars

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Are Hobbits communists?

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

El Burbo posted:

The most pointless series of movies ever created

The point was to create shareholder value for the parent corporation, and they even failed at that. The movies made money but not nearly as much as they were hoping

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Davros1 posted:

BB-8 is Poe's astromech.

That raises further questions?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

No, the hobbits are bourgeoisie.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

G-III posted:

It's oddly reminiscent of Disney's remakes of its own animated movies and the analysis Lindsay Ellis did of them. You keep the story and include mildly subversive revisions to justify it as a new creative product without actually going anywhere interesting with it, so the entire thing ends up feeling really claustrophobic.

The overall theme is meta, it's about the Star Wars being a big mythical cycle that keeps spinning through the same story beats. TFA treats this as an exciting possibility (now you, the fan, can have your own customized Star Wars adventure!), TLJ correctly points this as a hosed up situation and hints that the solution is to learn some vague moral lesson about Learning From Your Mistakes, and TROS goes "actually, the original story never ended and you can't escape it because lol who cares at this point".

YaketySass fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 17, 2019

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

KOTOR 1/2 can be canon because they take place so long before the movies that it doesn't even matter. Canon is bullshit anyway

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Sheev is russiagate, in that its western liberalism deciding to blame all their failures on the perfidy of a long-dead enemy rather than confronting the reasons why they actually failed

Putin is gonna broadcast a holographic message to the entire US just before the election.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Davros1 posted:

Are Hobbits communists?

Depends on your conception of communism I guess but no. Hobbits had nobility and private ownership of land and latent monarchical allegiance

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
They should have have a russian accented character that was hacking some computer system in the movie. That would have been meta.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

YaketySass posted:

Putin is gonna broadcast a holographic message to the entire US just before the election.

If this involves the dead speaking, I’m ok with it

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

YaketySass posted:

It's oddly reminiscent of Disney's remakes of its own animated movies and the analysis Lindsay Ellis did of them. You keep the story and include mildly subversive revisions to justify it as a new creative product without actually going anywhere interesting with it, so the entire thing ends up feeling really claustrophobic.

The overall theme is meta, it's about the Star Wars being a big mythical cycle that keep spinning through the same story beats. TFA treats this as an exciting possibility (now you, the fan, can have your own customized Star Wars adventure!), TLJ correctly points this as a hosed up situation and hints that the solution is to learn some vague moral lesson about Learning From Your Mistakes, and TROS goes "actually, the original story never ended and you can't escape it because lol who cares at this point".

They should have let GL go hog wild with the midichlorians and the whills with his version of the sequel trilogy because at least you can smoke weed to that and get some enjoyment.

Seeing rose tran gently caress up another mission to save everyone and explain her actions with a nonsensical speech about protecting what you love instead of trying to kill what you hate is going to suck no matter which drugs you take.

G-III fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

G-III posted:

They should have let GL go hog wild with the midichlorians and the whills with his version of the sequel trilogy because at least you can smoke weed to that and get some enjoyment.

This is the crux of it to me, ultimately. I derive a significant amount of enjoyment from the prequels because they’re the fun kind of bad, I can watch them when I’m hungover and just laugh. The sequels are the boring kind of bad and I can’t imagine watching them again.