Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
https://twitter.com/SmogonU/status/1206773274153119744

RIP Dynamaxing.

It's more manageable in doubles, but it utterly tore singles apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Araxxor posted:

RIP Dynamaxing.

It's more manageable in doubles, but it utterly tore singles apart.

yeah, singles becoming just a game centered entirely around dynamax and the boosts it provides doesn't feel good. it's still pretty central to strategies in doubles right now, but there it feels more like a tool you can use and counter and work around if you need to rather than a dominant mechanic

this is probably a good decision

The Splash
May 30, 2011

I'll never say hole again.

Tempura Wizard posted:

Need a water type to round out my food and drink themed team for the Hall of Fame. What’s the best fit? Kingler

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
There's not a whole lot of postgame except for the hair perverts, huh.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Beachcomber posted:

There's not a whole lot of postgame except for the hair perverts, huh.

There's raiding and the battle tower, that's about it.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Sea Lily posted:

in past gens the answer for not bringing back walking pokemon would generally be "it would be a lot of work to add walking and running animations for every pokemon", but. sword and shield has walking and running animations for every pokemon. it uses them in the wild and in the pokemon camp area, as well as having 'react to thing' animations for talking to them

so i dont know why it's not in this one

they know that everybody would immediately take Snom out of the pokeball and destroy the game with its meter a minute sprinting speed

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

Let's Go Snorlax where you have to remain vigilant at all times to keep it from trying to ride on your head or else you get a game over

GMax snorlax is legal online next month and until he is I will be using only rental teams in prep for my beautiful boy

I don't actually know what goes well with him. I guess you do a trick room team? People are theorycrafting that his g-max is actually pretty good and usable in doubles

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

GMax snorlax is legal online next month and until he is I will be using only rental teams in prep for my beautiful boy

I don't actually know what goes well with him. I guess you do a trick room team? People are theorycrafting that his g-max is actually pretty good and usable in doubles

Ribombee with Speed Swap is getting a lot of use paired with Snorlax in doubles right now. beyond that yeah trick room is probably the strat

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

TheHan posted:

My all time favorite Pokémon track is this triumphant trumpet tune the anime would break out anytime Pikachu used volt tackle at the end of an episode. I’ve never been able to find it and not entirely sure it wasn’t a fever dream.

Could it be this one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfz9HzGJlHk

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/poke_times/status/1206831571724058625

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Beachcomber posted:

Didn't feel it with Leon. This is the championship music for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dkK9r57BNk
oh yeah SM champion theme (and champion presentation, really) kicked loving rear end

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Sea Lily posted:

Ribombee with Speed Swap is getting a lot of use paired with Snorlax in doubles right now. beyond that yeah trick room is probably the strat

Ooh I've seen this. It can also Ally Switch to use its 4x fighting resist to tank the most obvious thing to kill a snorlax, or switch in from the back lines to do it.

I imagine with the 1/3 HP heal berries and a strong normal attack that just makes you keep healing it will be a nightmare to kill

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

They need to do covers of KISS songs with those cosutmes yesterday.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Ok, I am just having the worst time with 5* Drednaw.

I'm surviving and dealing damage just fine, but the 'help' they get for me is suicidal. Torkoal. 'follow me' Clefairy.

I'm using a roserade, but every time it's some npc thats killing themselves.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

Even if this is the Japanese one, the Hoenn anime openings were all pretty great. Johto still has my favourite openings but that first opening track from Hoenn still sticks in my mind.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Blaziken386 posted:

oh yeah SM champion theme (and champion presentation, really) kicked loving rear end

USUM’s champion theme is still the GOAT for me. The fact that your rival is the champ for the first time since RBY clinches things.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/mattyoukhana_/status/1205698970296705024?s=21

Should have had him be the secret villain/champion

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

God drat, they really took the screws to the movepool this generation didnt they?

The Hidden Power TM was removed, things like Pursuit were cut, a good chunk of other moves got nerfed into the ground for who knows (they cut Thief to 40? Why?)

Anything else I miss? What else did they gut in the purge, that's just mean man :stonk:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
They deleted the one good normal STAB move

AshtonDragon
Sep 5, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

They deleted the one good normal STAB move

Body Slam looks intact to me.

Jokes aside, I kinda miss having the in-between of power between Body Slam and Double-Edge. I'm having a hard time settling on one of those for my banded Snorlax. Although on things being removed, I'm glad Hidden Power is gone.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Return being gone is odd though not a terribly big deal. HP being gone is excellent.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I think Return is gone because they rather drastically overhauled how friendship works mechanically in the games.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

How are you peeps using cleric Togekiss for CPU raids? I'm trying to make it work, but some of these idiots get destroyed in one shot even after setting screens (Sophie's Maractus :argh: ), so Life Dew ain't going to be of much use.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Roserade is good right? Got one with 5 IVs and Technician, thinking of training it up as my go to grass type

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Pentaro posted:

How are you peeps using cleric Togekiss for CPU raids? I'm trying to make it work, but some of these idiots get destroyed in one shot even after setting screens (Sophie's Maractus :argh: ), so Life Dew ain't going to be of much use.

If it's a really tough one I usually have to reset until I get a not useless NPC team

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Epic High Five posted:

Roserade is good right? Got one with 5 IVs and Technician, thinking of training it up as my go to grass type
It lost Hidden Power which was literally its best Technician move so uh

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Oh my god IT IS. They used an instrumental in the dub but it’s absolutely the same.

It’s been...13 years...I’m ready to die now.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
So out of curiosity I was looking up what people are asking for Flame Orbs, and holy poo poo the desperation to get this item is scary.

I've been grinding at this for probably the better of 3 hours and I have not gotten one yet, not sure how they thought this was a good idea.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Mesadoram posted:

So out of curiosity I was looking up what people are asking for Flame Orbs, and holy poo poo the desperation to get this item is scary.

I've been grinding at this for probably the better of 3 hours and I have not gotten one yet, not sure how they thought this was a good idea.

What I'm hearing is grinding flame orbs is a good way to get more legendaries for a living dex.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It lost Hidden Power which was literally its best Technician move so uh

well drat, what's the best grass go-to then that isn't an easy choice like the starter? One of my projects is gonna be creating a level 100 monotype ringer for every type if possible, since just bringing ShieldDog or Eternatus to every raid is boring

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Dienes posted:

What I'm hearing is grinding flame orbs is a good way to get more legendaries for a living dex.

The real question is then, do I really want to put myself though grinding for more than one of them.

:thunk:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Kurieg posted:

I think Return is gone because they rather drastically overhauled how friendship works mechanically in the games.

Return and Frustration got gutted because it was inconvenient as hell to set up on certain cartridges in tournaments, and because they completely reworked friendship.

Gutting them with no replacement really stings though. The gap between Body Slam and Double Edge is too wide, and Normal can't really provide much coverage so the base power of the moves better be up to snuff.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Mesadoram posted:

It took me eight days, at about eight hours a day.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

CubeTheory posted:

What the gently caress did you set up a bot or something to run this poo poo because gently caress that.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

well drat, what's the best grass go-to then that isn't an easy choice like the starter? One of my projects is gonna be creating a level 100 monotype ringer for every type if possible, since just bringing ShieldDog or Eternatus to every raid is boring

Use Silvally.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

CubeTheory posted:

I'm telling you, they will do a mystery gift mon holding the thing. You have been trolled by Game Freak as have we all, and will be again

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Bongo Bill posted:

Use Silvally.

is this just a blanket recommendation or is it especially good as grass

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Epic High Five posted:

is this just a blanket recommendation or is it especially good as grass

Silvally can literally be any type and has good stats across the board and a 120 BP move of every single type. You can bring a Jolly Silvally trained in Attack and Speed and basically do as well at raids as possible with the least amount of effort.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

CubeTheory posted:

Holy poo poo...

Nanigans posted:

Silvally can literally be any type and has good stats across the board and a 120 BP move of every single type. You can bring a Jolly Silvally trained in Attack and Speed and basically do as well at raids as possible with the least amount of effort.

Is there a "best" type for him? I was thinking ghost but I'm not sure...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I mostly use Eternatus because I'm done playing "fair" after facing several Centiskorch with White Smoke as their ability. It does struggle with some Ice, Psychic and Ground types, but otherwise its bulky enough to shrug off most attacks.