Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I remember seeing that cosplay on Reddit while she was still working on it a couple weeks back. I upvoted it and probably left some cool comment like "nice" or maybe "I like this" but I can't quite recall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
Was gonna wait for a sale but I cracked and bought it a few days ago and I have no regrets. Christ alive I've never laughed so hard from a game in my life, or been this absorbed in the game world. I don't have a lockdown on any particular build yet but I seem to be meandering towards some kind of idiot savant cop. I'm getting some major Discworld vibes though so my next guy is gonna have to be a Sam Vimes.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Nastyman posted:

Was gonna wait for a sale but I cracked and bought it a few days ago and I have no regrets. Christ alive I've never laughed so hard in my life, or been this absorbed in a game world. I don't have a lockdown on any particular build yet but I seem to be meandering towards some kind of idiot savant cop. I'm getting some major Discworld vibes though so my next guy is gonna have to be a Sam Vimes.

Shivers is basically Sam Vimes: The Skill

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Epic High Five posted:

Shivers is basically Sam Vimes: The Skill

Sweet, I was curious about that as it seemed really interesting but didn't really jive with my current skillset

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Apropros of nothing, I am taking a hard stance that the only way to do the Karaoke scene is by tanking your Drama as much as possible :colbert:

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

On my first playthrough, currently on day 4. How many days do you get? 7?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

As many as you need, there’s no time limit

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Frankston posted:

On my first playthrough, currently on day 4. How many days do you get? 7?

Despite the game deceiving you on this in various ways, in reality you get infinite days. Don't sweat it.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
Did anyone NOT break out the boombox on the boat?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

As far as I'm concerned, this is the only way to go.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

SimonChris posted:

According to Joyce, the entire insulindian isola formed spontaneously from the Pale around the original explorers, a completely pristine new world, devoid people. All the other isolas were discovered with people already living there, but Insulinde was completely new and empty.

It is from this miraculous event that we get the quote associated with Dolores Dei: “After life, death -- after death, life again. After the world, the pale -- after the pale the world again.“ Once the pale has swallowed the current world, it is expected to birth a new one, just like it made Insulinde.

I think the Semenese are supposed to be the descendants of the original explorers, and the Dolorian settlers arrived later.

that's the dialectic for ya

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
Feels like I missed out by not taking the horrific tie. Gonna have to rectify that.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Feels like I missed out by not taking the horrific tie. Gonna have to rectify that.

That's kind of the nice thing about DE. You're ALWAYS missing out on stuff, which is very freeing to know that you can't get all the things. Even succeeding on checks gets you different, and sometimes worse stuff than you'd get from succeeding. It's not missing, it's just accidentally saving something for a future playthrough. ;)

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Since Kim was in the hospital I had no one else to drive the boat

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Dreylad posted:

Since Kim was in the hospital I had no one else to drive the boat

You could have had .........Cuno's help.

Unless you were a dick to him, I guess.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
It took until my second playthrough to realize the world of Disco Elysium is not a globe. It's some kind of coronal disk which is mostly composed of "pale" which to my understanding is the equivalent of a white static nothing. Within the disk there are 7 isolas (continents) that have been discovered. It's also mentioned they can't even get high altitude balloons up to even get a better view.

Going through the pale also makes you insane.

To find out this information you have to go into deep into conversations with Joyce it's towards the end. That's how I missed it the first time. That world is loving terrifying.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

DropsySufferer posted:

It took until my second playthrough to realize the world of Disco Elysium is not a globe. It's some kind of coronal disk which is mostly composed of "pale" which to my understanding is the equivalent of a white static nothing. Within the disk there are 7 isolas (continents) that have been discovered. It's also mentioned they can't even get high altitude balloons up to even get a better view.

Going through the pale also makes you insane.

To find out this information you have to go into deep into conversations with Joyce it's towards the end. That's how I missed it the first time. That world is loving terrifying.

It gets better: I don't recall the world explicitly being a disk at all. The Pale, once you get deep enough in, breaks down even mathematical laws. Beyond a certain point, it's straight up anti-reality. Concepts like "ground" and "sky" don't exist anymore, even in the abstract sense of ground is the origin of a coordinate system. Maybe the way The Pale peels back is circular, but at the end of the day, if you stray off too far and don't find an Isola, I have no idea what would happen to you because you're now in a place where even the forces holding your atoms together don't function like we expect them to.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

it is a big ball with awful apes dukin' it out

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Absolutely wonderful.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

itry posted:

You could have had .........Cuno's help.

Unless you were a dick to him, I guess.

I seem to remember that he told me he'd wait for me on the island. at the very least I don't think he could drive the boat

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

it is a big ball with awful apes dukin' it out

That's our Earth. :ssh:

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Dreylad posted:

I seem to remember that he told me he'd wait for me on the island. at the very least I don't think he could drive the boat

You can just tie the radio to the front of the boat. Maybe there's a requirement for that to be an option? I was definitely jamming out to SAD FM while driving the boat alone on my first playthrough.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

How would they even know what their world looks like? They can't actually get anything high enough to see, and what they can see is covered with Pale (I assume that includes their atmosphere).

Maybe they're all in purgatory :tinfoil:

Dreylad posted:

Oh, I think you're correct. My bad. :kiddo:

itry fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Dec 17, 2019

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I found a site that has the full text of Joyce's explanation.

Joyce: The world of Elysium is unique in that it is not a single contiguous landmass, but consists of vast continents of matter - isolas - surrounded by a separative issue. This tissue is called the pale and is the most dominant geological feature of the world, the inter-isolary mass, at a ratio of 2:1 to matter.

In fact, it covers 72% of the known surface of Elysium, interfering with any attempts at orbital flight. The Occident-Revachol-Graad nations have been conducting experiments with weather balloons in the lower ionosphere since the thirties, and managed to put together a rather startling image: A dark grey corona, rarefied envelope of matter surrounding the darkened disc of the planet. That is, if Elysium can still be considered a planet: Imagine vast swathes of land disrupted by nothingness. There are grey flares and prominences, even arcs above entire isolas... The images are blurry, but if there was a sphere in there it certainly looks like it fractured a long time ago.[1]

:aaaaa:

Someone needs to draw this.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

E: nvm, already answered.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

DropsySufferer posted:

Joyce: The world of Elysium is unique in that it is not a single contiguous landmass, but consists of vast continents of matter - isolas - surrounded by a separative issue. This tissue is called the pale and is the most dominant geological feature of the world, the inter-isolary mass, at a ratio of 2:1 to matter.

In fact, it covers 72% of the known surface of Elysium, interfering with any attempts at orbital flight. The Occident-Revachol-Graad nations have been conducting experiments with weather balloons in the lower ionosphere since the thirties, and managed to put together a rather startling image: A dark grey corona, rarefied envelope of matter surrounding the darkened disc of the planet. That is, if Elysium can still be considered a planet: Imagine vast swathes of land disrupted by nothingness. There are grey flares and prominences, even arcs above entire isolas... The images are blurry, but if there was a sphere in there it certainly looks like it fractured a long time ago.[1]

This phrasing is a little odd in that they shouldn’t have any reason to assume it was or should be spherical. I guess if they have non-sun celestial bodies they could see their shapes. Nitpicky but I did notice that oddness while playing.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Velius posted:

This phrasing is a little odd in that they shouldn’t have any reason to assume it was or should be spherical. I guess if they have non-sun celestial bodies they could see their shapes. Nitpicky but I did notice that oddness while playing.
We didn't deduce the earth is round by going to space or sailing around it. The horizon (natural curvature) was enough for the deduction to be made.

I'm not actually sure whether "horizon" is ever mentioned in DE.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

DropsySufferer posted:

How does Joyce know "The world of Elysium is unique"? Does this suggest at some point Elysium was a planet, and the people recognised it as such, or do they have knowledge of planets beyond Elysium?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Brown Moses posted:

How does Joyce know "The world of Elysium is unique"? Does this suggest at some point Elysium was a planet, and the people recognised it as such, or do they have knowledge of planets beyond Elysium?

https://discoelysium.gamepedia.com/Pale

It's not verbatim. It's a summary from the wiki.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Seems I misremembered Joyce's words then. Elysium is nihilist discworld!

itry posted:

How would they even know what their world looks like? They can't actually get anything high enough to see, and what they can see is covered with Pale (I assume that includes their atmosphere).

Maybe they're all in purgatory :tinfoil:

Oh, I think you're correct. My bad. :kiddo:

Forking off this, :tinfoil: what if it actually is purgatory. Hear me out: The game starts with your lizard brain trying to coax you into death. Well, what if you're already dead? Harry comes from our Earth, and had his bender there. Maybe he had similar circumstances in life that lead him to suicide. He dies in real life, and wakes up in purgatory--Elysium, with no memory because 1) he died, and 2) isn't native to the world. This isn't a problem for the world though--its Purgatory, and the jail reshapes to fit the inmate. Of course Harry works in Precinct 41. Kim knows who you are. You've been here all your life, or so you are told. Of course you have no idea how anything works here--you aren't from here, and have been brain-wiped by death.

Harry hung himself in real life with his tie, and Elysium is his purgatory.
:tinfoil:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Warmachine posted:

Forking off this, :tinfoil: what if it actually is purgatory. Hear me out: The game starts with your lizard brain trying to coax you into death. Well, what if you're already dead? Harry comes from our Earth, and had his bender there. Maybe he had similar circumstances in life that lead him to suicide. He dies in real life, and wakes up in purgatory--Elysium, with no memory because 1) he died, and 2) isn't native to the world. This isn't a problem for the world though--its Purgatory, and the jail reshapes to fit the inmate. Of course Harry works in Precinct 41. Kim knows who you are. You've been here all your life, or so you are told. Of course you have no idea how anything works here--you aren't from here, and have been brain-wiped by death.

I think all the other people who live in Elysium who say "hello Harry my long time friend in Elysium" kind of hamstrings that idea.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Arrhythmia posted:

I think all the other people who live in Elysium who say "hello Harry my long time friend in Elysium" kind of hamstrings that idea.

Of course that is what Purgatory wants you to think. "Why yes of course you've always lived here Harry are you ok?" says the Devil adjusting his mask.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I believe I beat this game last night but I got blackout drunk and don't remember. Playing the meta-game over here.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I was avoiding this game for some reason, but I finally got it. I kicked a mailbox and died of a heart attack. I couldn't ask for more in a game. It's perfect.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Warmachine posted:

Of course that is what Purgatory wants you to think. "Why yes of course you've always lived here Harry are you ok?" says the Devil adjusting his mask.

How come you can die in purgatory

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Wafflecopper posted:

How come you can die in purgatory

I mean, it's just one more door.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Warmachine posted:

Over a year ago, I had begun work on a literary project with almost exactly this premise, with the addition that other people won't bother to remember you until you're also dead, and, good as this game is, will be irrationally furious if it's a stealth version of what I was trying to do.

"It wasn't derivative when I started!" I proclaim impotently to uninterested publishers.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

AxeManiac posted:

I was avoiding this game for some reason, but I finally got it. I kicked a mailbox and died of a heart attack. I couldn't ask for more in a game. It's perfect.

I worry that the incredible amount of hype and how much it smothered all discussion on all gaming forums across the internet would turn some people off to it, but it really is the rare game that you never stop hearing about that lives up to the hype

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Given the tight scope I don't know how they could mesh DLC into the game. A sequel is more obvious though they would need a protagonist who is completely and utterly different from Harry to keep it fresh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Warmachine posted:

Wasn't that the premise of Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes?