Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cory Snyder
Jan 27, 2004

People have compared me to Cal Ripken...
I haven't seen a negative reaction to this show anywhere but here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
I really liked the whole season including the finale but I must say Lady Trieu would have made an excellent god-emperor and it is too bad she got smushed. TY for reading.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Cory Snyder posted:

I enjoyed it but I still have gripes. Postmortem of the season in the show's thread is usually about gripes, it's pretty normal stuff.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
You know, Zapping all the rich racists may not solve Racism, but it probably weakened it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

You know, Zapping all the rich racists may not solve Racism, but it probably weakened it.

I don't have any better ideas

Turpitude posted:

I really liked the whole season including the finale but I must say Lady Trieu would have made an excellent god-emperor and it is too bad she got smushed. TY for reading.

I thought Hong Chau did great and especially in the finale.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Cory Snyder posted:

You should go out more

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I really don’t get how so many people are interpreting Angela potentially getting Manhattan powers as unquestionably good from the POV of the show. The show spends most of the hour beating you around the head with the idea that anyone who would choose to be that powerful is almost certainly not someone you can trust with that power, and the two people who attempted to get those powers are liquified/crushed for their troubles. At the very least it’s morally ambiguous and up for interpretation.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Freaquency posted:

I really don’t get how so many people are interpreting Angela potentially getting Manhattan powers as unquestionably good from the POV of the show. The show spends most of the hour beating you around the head with the idea that anyone who would choose to be that powerful is almost certainly not someone you can trust with that power, and the two people who attempted to get those powers are liquified/crushed for their troubles. At the very least it’s morally ambiguous and up for interpretation.

She did at least keep the ring from cal’s head, so she’s at least willing to consider surrendering the power.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Freaquency posted:

I definitely agree that the shows version of "I leave it entirely in your hands" is "do you think Angela has Manhattans powers and is that a good thing?" but I dont know if they really did enough to earn the deeper contemplation of that ambiguous question.

They certainly made a point of it, but it gets lost among the wacky scifi ending the finale spends most of its time on.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I enjoyed the show. I do agree with others that adding Dr Manhattan was a derail. The addition felt rushed.

The early plotlines with cop conspiracies and exploring the world and its implications was more interesting.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Was treiu's mom really smart too? The clone was working on a dissertation but I thought the original was a cleaning lady or something

Being from some Vietnamese village during the war, it's not like she likely had great opportunity for education and career. She was smart enough to steal from Veidt and get out before he killed all his staff as part of his meticulously designed plot, so she was obviously no slouch.

Cory Snyder
Jan 27, 2004

The REAL Goobusters posted:

You should go out more

You just admitted that you don't know anyone who watches the show.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

In the comic Veidt poisons his three Vietnamese servants before opening the vivarium to kill everything inside, so I hope that the later crew made it out ok

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Killer robot posted:

Being from some Vietnamese village during the war, it's not like she likely had great opportunity for education and career. She was smart enough to steal from Veidt and get out before he killed all his staff as part of his meticulously designed plot, so she was obviously no slouch.

Veidt’s staff at Karnak were all Vietnamese refugees, so regardless of background it may have been her best option.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Killer robot posted:

Sneaking off of Antarctica is no mean feat either.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Raxivace posted:

They should just skip season 2 and go straight into season 3.

It is 2024, Season 5 of the Watchmen just wrapped to mixed reviews. Goobusters is still finding a way to be an insufferable shitposter.

To be read as Dr. M

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
If there's a second season, they'd have to go with a completely different story with only Laurie and Adrian (and maybe LG) from this season for it to work. The story for almost all this season's new characters have been told to completion, so there's no point bringing back Angela, Hooded Justice, and the rest.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

Freaquency posted:

It's explicitly bad from the POV of the show, regardless of what HJ said about doing more. It's also confusing why she would want the power, given what she knows and what we saw. But apparently it's good from the POV of Lindelof, per that interview.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Skyarb posted:

It is 2024, Season 5 of the Watchmen just wrapped to mixed reviews. Goobusters is still finding a way to be an insufferable shitposter.

To be read as Dr. M

5 seasons completed in just 5 years? For an HBO show? Absurd.

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

5 seasons completed in just 5 years? For an HBO show? Absurd.

Season 5 is actually part 2 of what would normally be called season 3 on any other network

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I just want to say the DR M on the theater sign at the end was the straw that broke the camel's back on too many easter eggs.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nail Rat posted:

I just want to say the DR M on the theater sign at the end was the straw that broke the camel's back on too many easter eggs.

So, you wish the show was DRM-free...

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Freaquency posted:

Yea It would be bad because you can't just zap racism away with Manhattan powers and if anything you'd create a black demi god that would instill even more hatred, whether it's from jealousy or fear. Angela would be awful with those powers and likely lose herself seeing as she has a huge amount of pain inside of her, like her Grandfather. Jon is probably one of the few people on the planet who could handle that power because he doesnt have an axe to grind, he never wanted the power, he was a scientist who wanted to just see how everything ticked and cared more about the atomic structure of things than the injustices in the world. He interferes in Vietnam because he's pressured into it because outside forces believed someone with all of that power should be doing "good". Ultimately no one should have those powers and it was a good thing he was destroyed.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Freaquency posted:

I really don’t get how so many people are interpreting Angela potentially getting Manhattan powers as unquestionably good from the POV of the show.

Nerd rage. When you've spent years constructing elaborate fanfiction narratives about how a creator of a work that disappointed you is an objectively terrible human being who is personally responsible for everything you disliked then you can't let a little thing like basic storytelling comprehension get in the way of making the most damning possible interpretations of everything that happens.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Nail Rat posted:

It says written by Damon Lindelof right there, you knew what you signed up for! If every frame doesn't have its own ARG or wikia entry then why bother in the first place?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Sleeveless posted:

Nerd rage. When you've spent years constructing elaborate fanfiction narratives about how a creator of a work that disappointed you is an objectively terrible human being who is personally responsible for everything you disliked then you can't let a little thing like basic storytelling comprehension get in the way of making the most damning possible interpretations of everything that happens.

People are also really bad with protagonists who are not heroes, or the outcome of a story not being a morally right one. Even for some reason those who are big fans of (at least the original) Watchmen.

And they still handle that better than they handle unreliable narrators.

Mullitt
Jun 27, 2008

Sleeveless posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about. Many people who didn’t like the show still liked some episodes, and I can only speak for myself but I’ve liked a lot of Lindelof’s other work.
Angela being a good guy is easily supported by the text, we see the other characters striving for Manhattan’s power as pieces of poo poo and Angela does everything for the love of her husband and family. Nothing she does in the show is ever presented in a negative light, she’s a sympathetic person who is always struggling to have a normal life.
And then, in addition, it seems from the Rolling Stone interview Lindelof also thinks Angela getting the powers is good.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

Killer robot posted:

People are also really bad with protagonists who are not heroes, or the outcome of a story not being a morally right one. Even for some reason those who are big fans of (at least the original) Watchmen.

And they still handle that better than they handle unreliable narrators.

Nobody ITT is having trouble understanding that Angela, the protagonist, isn't a "hero".

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Cory Snyder posted:

You just admitted that you don't know anyone who watches the show.

Exactly dude. The only people who watch this are all online lol.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Seriously would love to see all the good that a vengeful, grieving, recently over-dosed with mind-bending chemicals policewoman with a penchant for violence and power abuse does with infinite power.

Season 2 should be her trying to make the world "better" and continually loving it up and the rest of the world desperately trying to destroy her.
Better yet, no more of this show please. Go back and remake the last two episodes.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Sleeveless posted:

It’s been a treat seeing you get this angry over a tv show lol

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Killer robot posted:

Yeah that's fair. I think it would've been interesting to see what her motives were or some more background but oh well.

Mullitt posted:

Nothing she does in the show is ever presented in a negative light,

She tortures people, that's pretty scummy

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

drat I guess when you post the receipts of the ratings people still ignore them.....

Oh well let people enjoy things I guess 🤘😔

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

It’s been a treat seeing you get this angry over a tv show lol

Man you have a lil posting problem, the show is over and you can stop posting now. As you once said (and yes I flicked through your post history to see if you're always this unhinged [extra note: you're not]) to some guy posting hate in a Valve thread, you clearly hated the show from the very beginning, so why do you keep posting here.

Take a moment for self-reflection on the emotions that you're inflicting and the schadenfreude and troll-like satisfaction that you're trying to obtain.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Chadzok posted:

Man you have a lil posting problem, the show is over and you can stop posting now. As you once said (and yes I flicked through your post history to see if you're always this unhinged) to some guy posting hate in a Valve thread, you clearly hated the show from the very beginning, so why do you keep posting here.

Take a moment for self-reflection on the emotions that you're inflicting and the schadenfreude and troll-like satisfaction that you're trying to obtain.

There’s a difference between hating something with sheer rage and disagreeing with others. Can’t discuss this show? Why are all the show likers extremely on edge in this thread the moment any criticism shows up?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

WHY BONER NOW posted:

She tortures people, that's pretty scummy

Everytime she tortures people it works, though? Honestly this show seems to be more in line with something like 24 in terms of 'good cops breaking the rules to get results' than with the original comic.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

There’s a difference between hating something with sheer rage and disagreeing with others. Can’t discuss this show? Why are all the show likers extremely on edge in this thread the moment any criticism shows up?

I think both the show likers and the show haters and everyone in between can see you're just being an rear end the majority of the time.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Because you've been incredibly hostile the entire time? It's not just criticism, you jump to "you're dumb/bad for liking this" constantly.

Like, christ, you've been bad enough in this thread I've found myself agreeing with Sleeveless/Guy Mann. It felt gross.

Cory Snyder
Jan 27, 2004

Exactly dude. The only people who watch this are all online lol.

So you want me to get out more... to the internet? What internet cesspools are you in that I must see?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

This "wow you guys really care lol I don't despite having a hundred posts in this thread v:v:v" style of posting hasn't really fooled anyone since like 2006