Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Bust Rodd posted:

There isn’t anything going on in Pioneer as hosed up as all the stupid 2019 bullshit that they’ve printed, I sincerely believe we are safe for now.

Like Smuggler’s Scooter and Oath of Nissa are the only cards on the pioneer banlist not from 2019

Ferocidon is gonna go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Retromancer posted:

didn't they already say the nyx lands were 1 per booster? doesn't sound like they'll be hard to get.

And they've mixed regular lands into a set with full art before in supplemental product. There's regular frame zendikar lands that were in the starter decks, so there's a non zero chance that the other basics in the set are 255+/254 and are only in the starters

That said I have no idea what the gently caress they're doing not just having the five cool lands

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Dec 17, 2019

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

If you don't have bad lands how will people know they are getting the cool ones?

:thunk:

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Hello all your arena heads. Now that Arena has an actual friends list, Ive made a survey to gauge interest in what people may or may not be interested in participating in for a potential goon tournament.

https://forms.gle/K2cY7SJsfGLr6UCU6

Take the survey if you have a moment and are curious.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Lone Goat posted:

If you had arena installed you'd know that red is far and away the most open colour in draft so that first post looks really funny.

Right, and in a meta where red is the clear and open path for 90% of players Syr Carah gets worse and worse. Burning Yard Trainer is really what you want/need from your five drop. If everyone is doing things like wheeling redcap melee Syr isn't going to do anything.

Syr Carah is a card where every knob is set to "too safe." If they had haste, or did 2 damage, or cost 4, or were a 4/4 (or better a 3/5), or triggered off all non-combat damage (thus synergizing off of Trebuchet), or or or. Syr synergizes with throwing Bonecrusher Giant, Fling, and Slaying Fire at faces, and with Searing Barrage's adamant bonus.

Of those one is a rare, one is premium creature removal (4 damage is the break point for the format), one is a 5 Mana spell, with one admittedly great face toss (fling) which normally closes the game as you fling 5-7 damage at an opponent's face.

They're even human so they don't have the incidental ability to work with the underrepresented G/R non-human theme.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Retromancer posted:

didn't they already say the nyx lands were 1 per booster? doesn't sound like they'll be hard to get.

Yeah, and the non-nyx basic lands are literally directly beneath "Two premium foil basic Nyx Lands—these are the full-art lands showcasing Nyx art that we showed off last week. Every Collector Booster comes with two foil versions of these sweet lands."

Yeah, it's ridiculous that the 8 foil uncommon/common slots even include basic lands from other sets. Unless of course they include other full art basic lands. They likely won't, so congrats on your collector's booster having 7 foil basics and a rare starter deck Planeswalker summoner.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
But it specifies that the non full arts are also TBD

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

But it specifies that the non full arts are also TBD

They likely won't have full art land bundles in the fat packs, that would make them actually sell.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

PJOmega posted:

They likely won't have full art land bundles in the fat packs, that would make them actually sell.

They did for BFZ, they sold out of fat packs.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

the lion in the middle is absolutely sick of this poo poo

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Kurieg posted:

They did for BFZ, they sold out of fat packs.

I must be having a brain fart. What set had full art basics and the fatpacks had the only non-full art basics for the set?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

PJOmega posted:

I must be having a brain fart. What set had full art basics and the fatpacks had the only non-full art basics for the set?

Original Zendikar.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

PJOmega posted:

I think original zendikar did?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

Original Zendikar.

Lone Goat posted:

I think original zendikar did?

Thank you kindly, mixed those up. Good to know there's a chance for full constellation land packs, will make building a draft set easier.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Full-art lands in Zendikar and Worldwake were in booster packs and fat packs. The basic lands with regular frames were only in intro decks.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Edit: Gah it's huge and I can't delete it from the post I'm sorry!

Of course it's huge, it's a Giant hello?!

PJOmega posted:

Syr Carah is a card where every knob is set to "too safe." If they had haste, or did 2 damage, or cost 4, or were a 4/4 (or better a 3/5), or triggered off all non-combat damage (thus synergizing off of Trebuchet), or or or. Syr synergizes with throwing Bonecrusher Giant, Fling, and Slaying Fire at faces, and with Searing Barrage's adamant bonus.

Syr Carah has "Tap: Draw a Card or deal 1 damage to a creature", she's real good already and no knob could be turned up unless they wanted to push her further for no reason.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Syr Carah is completely bonkers, one of the top five uncommons in the set, and could not be pushed further without being broken. She’s even extra good against Mono-R because she kills Rimrocks and Gingerbrutes.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

right now i'm imagining a 5 mana 3/3 that taps to shock any target and also draws you a card whenever it or any burn spell hits the enemy's face, and folks... i'm lolling

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Syr Carah is fine in Eldraine draft but like nothing super exciting

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

right now i'm imagining a 5 mana 3/3 that taps to shock any target and also draws you a card whenever it or any burn spell hits the enemy's face, and folks... i'm lolling

I guess I've got a misprint because no where does it say "draw a card" on my copies. She would 100% be a powerhouse in that case, and would fit into U/R as a engine piece. You could also keep her back to mess up attack math/block and still get your card, instead of hoping you flip into an instant.

As for the burn spell argument, I've already addressed the four possible activators in the set. All of which she dies to before doing anything. Plus all the other removal in the set that costs less than her. And on arena, again, where you can expect most opponents to have wheeled Redcap Melee and Scorching Dragonfire she gets even worse, dying for 1-2 mana instant speed.

And in a game where your opponent can't answer a 3/3 for 5 you likely would've won with anything else.

We're talking limited here. Honestly even 2 damage often has a lack of reasonable targets, hence why the set's pseudo shock is stapled to a 4/3 with relevant text for 3. The stars have to align to make Syr Carah playable as a 1-of, and an unhappy one at that.

But hey, maybe arena is completely unlike the 22 paper drafts where I've played her once and against her twice that I remember and she's never been relevant in a single game. At least Elite Headhunter made me tank for a few minutes before rereading it and realizing it couldn't shoot face.

You want to know Syr Carah's biggest play? Participating in a double block with Ogre Errant against a Garenbrig Paladin to stop a potentially lethal hit and getting 241'd by a Garenbrig Carver. Which is way more of a testament that the core of the green commons (Garenbrig Paladin, Fierce Witchstalker, Outmuscle) are pushed.

When spoiler season was happening I personally pegged her as the second strongest of the Syr cycle behind Syr Konrad. I was very, very wrong. Seeing pick orders putting Carah over Lovestruck Beast were silly at the time and downright laughable now.

In other sets Carah would be very strong. Eldraine is not one of those sets. It doesn't synergize with where red desperately wants to be, dies or is disabled far too easily, and is outclassed by so many commons.

Anyway, done sitting at the auto body shop, guess my car is being written off as totalled so now I get to deal with that. Yay getting rear ended at all of 15 mph.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Can someone go back through the thread to spoiler season and see who the person who said a 3CMC creature that taps to bolt any target wasn’t modern playable was? My spidey-senses are tingling.

qwewq
Aug 16, 2017
I dunno, I kinda disagree re: Syr Carah.

The biggest strike against her is just that she slots in poorly into what most red decks are doing, which is balls to the wall agro 95% of the time. That said, she's great in long grindy games, and also great at cracking open stalemates against agro decks where you've stabilized and they have a bunch of 1 toughness creatures.

I suppose I like her in BR best? Which feels limiting, but then again, it's not like any of the other Syr's are just auto includes aside from Konrad. Faren is a surprisingly finicky as a 2 drop with the GG cost, Elenora feels way lower impact than Carah, and Alin feels even narrower than Carah in comparable decks.

Also, she's 2 mana more than a tim for +2/+2 and quite a bit of card advantage, not exactly massively behind the curve.

Play style can certainly account for a lot of variation, both in pro and amateur level. How many times did, within the same week, various pros/mpl members provide totally flipped color appraisals of Eldraine? Everyone flew up the rear end of food and mill initially, then people figured out mono color agro was quite excellent, so if the spectrum of games has swung from massive grind fests to agro done on turn 4/5, she probably has a place in there at some point.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

PJOmega posted:

I guess I've got a misprint because no where does it say "draw a card" on my copies.

Oh see, you just needed to read the card. If you tap her and target your opponent, her first ability will trigger.

PJOmega posted:

And in a game where your opponent can't answer a 3/3 for 5 you likely would've won with anything else.

We're talking limited here. Honestly even 2 damage often has a lack of reasonable targets, hence why the set's pseudo shock is stapled to a 4/3 with relevant text for 3. The stars have to align to make Syr Carah playable as a 1-of, and an unhappy one at that.

You can't imagine any board position where if your opponent cannot kill a 3/3 then they will lose to anything? Weird. Bonecrusher Giant is an insane bomb that's pushed for constructed. If Syr Carah was buffed in any way other than maybe an additional power or toughness (not both) she would be too strong.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The problem with Syr Carah is that red has two far superior draw engines at 4 mana (Frenzy and Chandra) and Hazoret draws more cards and makes mana for one less mana while also just being a stronger creature. IDK guys she just seems dramatically outclassed by cheaper options to me.

Anyway this deck is DUUUUUUUUMB

https://twitter.com/g3rryt/status/1207100704969633792

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Bust Rodd posted:

The problem with Syr Carah is that red has two far superior draw engines at 4 mana (Frenzy and Chandra) and Hazoret draws more cards and makes mana for one less mana while also just being a stronger creature. IDK guys she just seems dramatically outclassed by cheaper options to me.

Anyway this deck is DUUUUUUUUMB

https://twitter.com/g3rryt/status/1207100704969633792

I definitely open lots of experimental frenzies in Eldraine draft, how's Chandra working out for you in that format?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Star Man posted:

Stop it. Just loving stop it with all this side poo poo. No more.

I guess as long as I can just buy singles, it's not too bad. That practicality aside, it sure is an obnoxious way to sell a product.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Star Man posted:

Full-art lands in Zendikar and Worldwake were in booster packs and fat packs. The basic lands with regular frames were only in intro decks.

They did the same thing with Wastes in BFZ. You could only get regular border Wastes in intro decks.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Kurtofan posted:

these are standard legal btw, available only in theme boosters or collector boosters.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-preview/theros-beyond-death-theme-boosters-2019-12-17

Why?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Putting big bomb Intro Deck Rares into theme boosters seems perfectly aimed at their target audience of new players who just want [green] cards for their [green] decks while also keeping them out of booster draft. Grasping Giant, Serpent of Yawning Depths, Sphinx Mindbreaker, Demon of Loathing, Terror of Mount Velus and Treeshaker Chimera all seem like they would be miserable to play against in limited.

Mind you, this won't prevent them from putting unbeatable bombs in limited, they'll just at least be aimed at constructed, probably.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

The last few draft formats have actually been pretty good if you're not drafting on Arena.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Star Man posted:

Iirc the regular non full art zendikar lands were more valuable than the full art ones because of the perceived value due to rarity but it was mad stupid and has since corrected itself

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
If there even was a price difference when those sets were still in print, it was probably a difference measured in pennies.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

presumably word from on high was "make a shitton more products and sell them"

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Can't wait for the full art pokemon lands in Theros to be cheaper than regular lands because of nerd dislike

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
you should be able to respond to actions at instant speed

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Eej posted:

Can't wait for the full art pokemon lands in Theros to be cheaper than regular lands because of nerd dislike

i can't wait until someone figures out which old basics make the best Theros Constellation-style full art alters.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Relin posted:

you should be able to respond to actions at instant speed

Get out of here with this bullshit 2018 attitude

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

ilmucche posted:

Get out of here with this bullshit 2018 attitude
oh god. they made things LESS consistent as of a year ago??

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Relin posted:

oh god. they made things LESS consistent as of a year ago??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

i need that explained to me, unless you mean pw passives