Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Even the initial reactions which are typically fawning are mixed to negative. Yikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Detective No. 27 posted:

The S2E17 episode of Clone Wars is the Seven Samurai episode. It starts with "In Memory of Akira Kurosawa" before the title card, which is cool, but, it makes it seem like he had just died when he was dead for 20 years when the episode aired. Little weird. It's not even the first direct Kurosawa adaptation the show did.

They probably just thought that any time is a good time to bring attention to Kurosawa's work and maybe expose a few people to him that hadn't been before. It's amazing how many people love the various adaptations of Kurosawa without really ever being aware of his existence. My father for instance grew up with Leone's Eastwood trilogy and The Magnificent Seven and he's never seen a Kurosawa film.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I'd rather mixed then a bunch of early access idiots climbing over each other to say BEST EVER or WORST EVER.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Best way to read rotten tomatoes:

If above 90%, movie is mediocre.
Less than 50%, either fantastic or terrible.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I think the giant, strobing red flag for me is that of the trailers that have been released, none of them actually seem to be advertising the movie itself.

It's a movie with characters you know and stuff you recognize and things happen. But we'd prefer if you didn't know the context of any of it.

Simplex fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 17, 2019

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
the only early impressions that bother me are the ones confirming my biggest fear that it's an apology for the last jedi. there's nothing to apologize for

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The only thing that got me at all interested is all the actually interesting shots of space fights getting ready to happen*. Those were my favorite parts of the OT** growing up and they have been lackluster in the PT*** and OT imo. If there's one moderately cool modern sfx Star Wars dogfight I will be happy enough, that's where my expectations are.

* since we only see them lining up to fight repeatedly my actual guess is that they cut away and I cry
** I'm including Hoth so amend this to "cool vehicular combat sequence" if you want
*** I almost forgot pod racing which was easily the best one post-1990

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Guy A. Person posted:

The only thing that got me at all interested is all the actually interesting shots of space fights getting ready to happen*. Those were my favorite parts of the OT** growing up and they have been lackluster in the PT*** and OT imo. If there's one moderately cool modern sfx Star Wars dogfight I will be happy enough, that's where my expectations are.

* since we only see them lining up to fight repeatedly my actual guess is that they cut away and I cry
** I'm including Hoth so amend this to "cool vehicular combat sequence" if you want

Would you consider the dogfights in TFA to be good? Because they were garbage.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Marin Karin posted:

the only early impressions that bother me are the ones confirming my biggest fear that it's an apology for the last jedi. there's nothing to apologize for

I hated the last jedi and I agree that they shouldn't be apologising for it. This bullshit where the current film ignores what the previous film was doing is not working in the films favour.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Jewmanji posted:

Would you consider the dogfights in TFA to be good? Because they were garbage.

Absolutely no, which is why I said I was desperate for more.

Actually a few were okay but more like short scenes/shots. Poe and FN in the TIE was fun but quick, the Falcon in the ruins of the Destroyer was actually pretty decent with it slamming around like a big truck, and the shot of Poe taking out several TIEs while FN ran around on the ground was fairly cool but, again, only a 3 second thing. I can't remember a single solitary shot from the dogfight over Laser Planet but I know that it happened.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
The “battle” at Starkiller Base continues to astound me in how utterly empty it is. It apes all the set pieces from the Battle of Yavin with none of the tension, and that's impressive.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Zoran posted:

The “battle” at Starkiller Base continues to astound me in how utterly empty it is. It apes all the set pieces from the Battle of Yavin with none of the tension, and that's impressive.

Its because there is no build up, they get the plans, immediately come up with a strategy somehow and are all 100% convinced its going to work. And it never really feels like there is much doubt. Its poorly done all around.

Simplex posted:

I think the giant, strobing red flag for me is that of the trailers that have been released, none of them actually seem to be advertising the movie itself.

It's a movie with characters you know and stuff you recognize and things happen. But we'd prefer if you didn't know the context of any of it.

Imagine walking into Empire in 1980 not knowing Darth is Luke's father. I'm just saying that there is a lot we dont know, and its good that we dont. We know every loving detail of the story up to this point, we're hosed up from seeing the PT, them just being a series of movies filling in blanks we already knew. I'm mostly excited because we dont know how this is all going to end up. Course they dont wanna give anything away in the trailers

codo27 fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 17, 2019

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/ldrinkh20/status/1206642252250001410?s=20

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

codo27 posted:

Its because there is no build up, they get the plans, immediately come up with a strategy somehow and are all 100% convinced its going to work. And it never really feels like there is much doubt. Its poorly done all around.

it's cause there's no consequences, the badguys already blew up the whole government time to stop them before they...do that again?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Funny how we associate wit with the internet when exactly the opposite is true

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Elfgames posted:

it's cause there's no consequences, the badguys already blew up the whole government time to stop them before they...do that again?

lol this made me realize that the ticking clock at the end of TFA was that Starkiller Deathbase was heating up to destroy the Resistance's base... which got bombed to poo poo by the Dreadnought at the beginning of TLJ. Good job all around, guys!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Grendels Dad posted:

lol this made me realize that the ticking clock at the end of TFA was that Starkiller Deathbase was heating up to destroy the Resistance's base... which got bombed to poo poo by the Dreadnought at the beginning of TLJ. Good job all around, guys!

I also had not realized this until just now when you posted it. Amazing.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Guy A. Person posted:

I rewatched Rogue One last night, now that movie has some good space combat action unless the star destroyer collision bothers you too much.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

I also had not realized this until just now when you posted it. Amazing.

I mean, is that any different than ANH and ESB?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

CFox posted:

I rewatched Rogue One last night, now that movie has some good space combat action unless the star destroyer collision bothers you too much.

That's almost the best drat part in some peoples eyes.

The other probably being the SD loving up the rebels escape.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This is the closest we’ve come to DIVE DIVE DIVE HIT THE BURNERS PILOT on the big screen and I’m glad for it.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

god rogue one was loving awesome

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Jewmanji posted:

Well, ESB doesn't take place immediately after ANH, for one.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jewmanji posted:

Kinda? In ANH they're fighting to prevent the Yavin base from being destroyed, and they succeed. Then, by the time of ESB they've simply moved to a new base on Hoth, which the audience has never seen before.

In story terms it's not all that different but it's just kinda funny how in the sequels it's literally the same base from TFA that is destroyed in the next film. Kinda deflating when you think about it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They didn’t have time to evacuate in TFA

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

The other probably being the SD loving up the rebels escape.

Yea this right here is that good poo poo.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's the same base after like... 10 hours? Who knows. A day? A month?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Imagine ANH without the ceremony at the end, and instead it's made clear that ESB takes place, like, a week later.

edit: lol remember Finn's coma?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Grendels Dad posted:

Imagine ANH without the ceremony at the end, and instead it's made clear that ESB takes place, like, a week later.

edit: lol remember Finn's coma?

Space medicine works wonders!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Davros1 posted:

Space medicine works wonders!

It's a wonder they got him undressed and into that tank in the five minutes it took the FO to rebound from their catastrophic loss.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Just watched ANH for the billionth time but for the first time since all the TLJ backlash and man that movie is way way dumber than TLJ. Star Wars has always been silly and illogical and it’s great. Fans are the worst.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Bad movie watcher here. How do you guys know how much time has passed?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Marin Karin posted:

[Extreme Ron Howard Voice] There was, in fact, a lot to apologize for

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

UmOk posted:

Bad movie watcher here. How do you guys know how much time has passed?

You can kind of infer from Luke’s position as the leader of Rogue Squadron that at least some time has passed. He’s clearly been inducted into the rebellion.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Colonel Whitey posted:

Just watched ANH for the billionth time but for the first time since all the TLJ backlash and man that movie is way way dumber than TLJ. Star Wars has always been silly and illogical and it’s great. Fans are the worst.

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011

Jewmanji posted:

One of the familiar talking points about the new trilogy is that JJ Abrams handed Rian Johnson a pretty impossible setup to start with.

You know whenever I hear this it always bugs me because it isn't a impossible setup to start with. I mean let's take a look at where TFA ends, Starkiller Base Destroyed, Rey having found Luke, and Finn in a coma. That wasn't an impossible setup to start with. You could easily do a timeskip of a 6 months to a year. You could show that with the Starkiller Base destroyed the First Order is fracturing and Snoke is having to split his time between training Ben and trying to hold the First Order together. You could also give Leia something to do by having her going around trying to gain allies to deliver a swift decisive blow to the FO to end it once and for all. In that time you could have Finn wake up and rather then having him go through the pointless arc of capitalism, and FO bad you could use him to explain to the audience the state of the Galaxy. As for Rey make it clear that she has been on the planet for 6 months and Luke just refuses to train her and she hasn't been able to figure out why, in the 6 months that she has been there. Like there that is a setup that could easily have been gotten from the end of TFA and that wasn't impossible at all, instead we get a movie taking place immeadiately after that pretty much makes the victory in the first one pointless and opens with a "Yo momma" joke, and ends up with the Resistance destroyed more by their own stupidity and idiocy than by anything the FO did.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It’s also missing the point that A New Hope was the in-universe propaganda tool that struck the first real blow to the establishment. It’s a retelling of the fairy told around rebel campfires. Empire starts with the practical realty. The win at Yavin was just propaganda and the war rages on. The illusions of childhood fairytales give way to the realities of the true horror of bureaucracy. It’s why Lando’s story is such a lynchpin for Ep V.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Jewmanji posted:

You can kind of infer from Luke’s position as the leader of Rogue Squadron that at least some time has passed. He’s clearly been inducted into the rebellion.

Also, several incidents Han mentions, like his running into bounty hunters or going on missions with Leia. You get the feeling they grew together offscreen, just to be torn apart by the Empire's attack.

poo poo-all grew in between TFA and TLJ. TLJ starts Rey off exactly where she was in TFA. There is no indication of her storyline and the rest of the movie happening at different times, so you have the Resistance going from Glorious Victory to Desperate Retread in a matter of diegetic minutes.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Believe it or not it’s my real opinion and it’s also very true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

TLJ really started off on the wrong foot, and that hosed it up going forwards.