Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PrairieBumpkin58
Sep 10, 2013

My mood today and every day.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/sackl...ia=twitter_page

An audit found that the Sackler family reportedly took out over $10 billion from OxyContin producer Purdue Pharma in nine-year span and distributed the funds in trusts and overseas holding companies, The New York Times reports. According to the audit commissioned by the pharmaceutical company, Purdue Pharma made $10.7 billion in payments to the family between 2008 and 2017. The number is much higher than the $1.32 billion in payments it made to the family from 1995, when OxyContin was approved, to 2007. Auditors reportedly said they did not know how much of the money was used to pay taxes, and some of the money was reportedly deposited in trusts in well-known tax havens. The Sacklers reportedly voted to stop the practice of receiving cash payments in 2017, so Purdue Pharma ended the practice.

The Sacklers have offered to give at least $3 billion in cash as part of a settlement to the thousands of state and local lawsuits against Purdue for their alleged role in the opioid crisis. However, 24 states have refused to sign the agreement and said the Sacklers should be paying more. A lawyer to some of the Sackler family members claimed over half the $10.7 billion given to the family was paid in taxes and reinvested in businesses that would be sold off as part of the settlement. The family also reportedly said they would submit a report early next year about their finances to bankruptcy court, but that filing is expected to be confidential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Look I stole $100 dollars worth of your meth good sir, I'll give back $30 of it, your welcome. There's no need to get vio-

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

AndrewEB posted:

A lawyer to some of the Sackler family members claimed over half the $10.7 billion given to the family was paid in taxes and reinvested in businesses that would be sold off as part of the settlement.

Wow, they somehow cloned the money so they could both pay taxes and reinvest in businesses, how benevolent of them

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Day Man posted:

He looks so sick, that's great! I hope whatever he has is super, super painful and fatal.

im sure this comes at a shock to you but whenever he doesnt think there will be cameras around he doesnt have the walker

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

did you time travel to the late 90s/early 00s? kids need to be taught modern brands if they want to have any chance of keeping up.

90's? Is this the future or something?

We're still using VHS tapes in some classes.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

duz posted:

im sure this comes at a shock to you but whenever he doesnt think there will be cameras around he doesnt have the walker

It amazes me how a rich person's health can fail so suddenly and spectacularly when the possible of consequences raises its head.

I hear Julian Assange is now in terrible health in a UK prison and there are calls to have him "evacuated" to an Australian hospital for his health.

See also: PedoBishop George Pell who was almost unable to return to Australia to face charges of raping kids and failed tycoon (and punchline for 30 years of Australian comedians) Christopher Skase who fled to Spain when his businesses collapsed and immediately became so ill he was unable to fly home.

Megillah Gorilla has issued a correction as of 15:49 on Dec 17, 2019

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
lol @ randomly throwing Assange in there.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Devil's advocate, stress really can do a huge number on your health, but they're all 99% faking it because by virtue of being rich elite they're already sociopathic monsters who've done way worse than faking an illness.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
if it makes you feel better, earnestly trying to look and act sick can have something of a psychosomatic effect too. so the stress of actually facing consequences and pretending to be sick could easily make them very miserable.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Ugato posted:

if it makes you feel better, earnestly trying to look and act sick can have something of a psychosomatic effect too. so the stress of actually facing consequences and pretending to be sick could easily make them very miserable.

Good

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

purely psychosomatic

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
addict insane

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

https://twitter.com/AlecMacGillis/status/1206743674798968832

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It amazes me how a rich person's health can fail so suddenly and spectacularly when the possible of consequences raises its head.

Paul Manafort's gout flareup in jail is particularly fun. The Disease of Kings.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

90's? Is this the future or something?

We're still using VHS tapes in some classes.

Schools have a unique skill for adopting dead media formats and holding onto them for way longer than you'd expect so that's not entirely unusual. I remember the one time I ever saw a laserdisk growing up was in the school library when we'd watch certain educational films :v:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I never realized this before but he'd be perfect for a Hitman level.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

remember when bill cosby went blind and turned senile overnight

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Not sure if it's real, but this has started making the rounds on the internet.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

"It's been more than 10 minutes!

Bring forth...The Smeller!"

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Every time I took a poo poo I'd go report myself to the boss so they had to go sniff my poo poo.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

New Toilet Design Forces Workers To Spend Less Time On The Loo
https://www.ladbible.com/news/uk-new-toilet-design-forces-workers-to-spend-less-time-on-the-loo-20191217

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I would waste even more time on the toilet just out of principle

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

lol break the toilets

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It is your civic duty to loving demolish those toilets on sight

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pomp posted:

It is your civic duty to loving demolish those toilets on sight

then where will i poo poo

i mean, you're right of course and I'll poo poo on the desk of the fuckhead that ordered them

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

https://twitter.com/dril/status/973681475248967686

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/aawayne/status/1206618414489522176

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lol

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Sloped toilets aren't going to stop me from making GBS threads in the sink.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Who needs toilets when you can poo poo in one of those airblade dryers

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

blatman posted:

:hmmorks:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

blatman posted:

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
The State of Alaska instituted austerity measures last year so that our Republican governor can give bigger tax credits to our oil companies, and as a result the state government has started a campaign where they beg the public for funds to provide basic services like "give drivers licenses." The dmv is literally asking people to just mail checks to random DMV locations.

https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Administration-Department--donations--DMV--rural-Real-ID-campaign--566265661.html

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BigHead posted:

The State of Alaska instituted austerity measures last year so that our Republican governor can give bigger tax credits to our oil companies, and as a result the state government has started a campaign where they beg the public for funds to provide basic services like "give drivers licenses." The dmv is literally asking people to just mail checks to random DMV locations.

https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Administration-Department--donations--DMV--rural-Real-ID-campaign--566265661.html

Stop issuing licenses to oil company workers and truck drivers, see how long the funding shortage lasts.

Also I like this title a lot

quote:

Department of Administration Commissioner Kelly Tshibaka

Yeah I'm the chief commissioner of the administration commission department of the department of administration

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Shame Boy posted:

Stop issuing licenses to oil company workers and truck drivers, see how long the funding shortage lasts.

I think you're missing the point of the grift here!

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

mimicks squats? i'm going to have the most jacked thighs in the office from how much i poo poo on company time, i'm going to be the arnold of taking a dump, the legcules of shittttt

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Gonna get some 13° rubber wedge to sit on. Will have to sanitize it after, thall take some time. Oh well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/AASchapiro/status/1206945678984990721