Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Stardew Valley 1.4 is out on switch now.

Be gay, grow plants

yesssssssss tyvm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.
Looking to build a tiny rear end powerful computer to take to the sandbox next year. I want to be able to fit a full size gpu and still be able to haul it with me on a ship if needed. Any suggestions? Figure I'd go with a mini itx.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

you can see about running a exgpu if you want to make a super tiny system with a box attached

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

M_Gargantua posted:

The RX580 is good and I think the 590 is still below the $200 level. 2019/2020 are AMD supremacy years

What's the high-end AMD card these days?

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.

Melthir posted:

Looking to build a tiny rear end powerful computer to take to the sandbox next year. I want to be able to fit a full size gpu and still be able to haul it with me on a ship if needed. Any suggestions? Figure I'd go with a mini itx.

buy a gaming laptop so you can crank your beef in your coffin rack

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Melthir posted:

Are you going via ship, or plane or what? I ask because ships are weird about electronics, and you're likely to get whoever does electronics stuff on the ship up your rear end about personal electronic devices.

The maximum resolution screen you're likely to be able to get a hold of is a 1920x1080 panel, so you don't need nearly as much graphics card as someone who has a better monitor.

Gimme a bit to look at stuff

E:

quote:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($189.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B450-I Gaming Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($138.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($77.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($94.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB TUF OC Video Card ($279.99 @ Amazon)
Case: In Win A1 Plus Mini ITX Tower Case w/650 W Power Supply ($199.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $980.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-17 18:17 EST-0500

Remember to disable the wifi on the board prior to taking it anywhere overseas, otherwise this should be fine for literally anything you can throw at it.

That GPU can probably play Cyberpunk 2079 at maximum settings when it comes out, at least at 1080p.

As far as OS, plunk down $25 to the goon in the SAMart thread selling win 7 keys, or use one off one of your old PCs and use it to activate Windows 10. Microsoft practically gives it away because they don't want people to be on Windows 7 past the drop dead date in January.

If you don't feel like trusting $25 to a goon and a somewhat confusing registration/upgrade process, you can get Windows 10 on a stick from just about any computer store for either $149 or $199 I think.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 18, 2019

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

orange juche posted:

Are you going via ship, or plane or what? I ask because ships are weird about electronics, and you're likely to get whoever does electronics stuff on the ship up your rear end about personal electronic devices.

The maximum resolution screen you're likely to be able to get a hold of is a 1920x1080 panel, so you don't need nearly as much graphics card as someone who has a better monitor.

Plane over there, then 1 year doing maintenance on the CG ships and might sail with some of them for a bit. Rules are a lot more chill then navy's if it can bring a smile to the crew.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I don't have one yet but everybody is gushing about the Switch and it seems it's gonna have ALL the games, probably a solid purchase as well for deployment.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

switch and a anker battery take up way less space

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Just get one of those $900 Walmart gaming laptops* if you're looking for something Needs Suiting that won't bust your wallet. loving around with a mini ITX case, monitor and keyboard is just going to make you miserable.

*They're rebadged laptops from other vendors and apparently review very well

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

seriously plus just figure all the power cords

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

ya decent gaming laptops are affordable and just fine in 2019

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Fallom posted:

Just get one of those $900 Walmart gaming laptops* if you're looking for something Needs Suiting that won't bust your wallet. loving around with a mini ITX case, monitor and keyboard is just going to make you miserable.

*They're rebadged laptops from other vendors and apparently review very well

I get it. I kind of want to build a computer with my kids as well though.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

orange juche posted:

E:

Remember to disable the wifi on the board prior to taking it anywhere overseas, otherwise this should be fine for literally anything you can throw at it.

That GPU can probably play Cyberpunk 2079 at maximum settings when it comes out, at least at 1080p.

As far as OS, plunk down $25 to the goon in the SAMart thread selling win 7 keys, or use one off one of your old PCs and use it to activate Windows 10. Microsoft practically gives it away because they don't want people to be on Windows 7 past the drop dead date in January.

If you don't feel like trusting $25 to a goon and a somewhat confusing registration/upgrade process, you can get Windows 10 on a stick from just about any computer store for either $149 or $199 I think.

The free Win 7 update to 10 ended like 2 years ago.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Godholio posted:

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/upgrade-to-windows-10-free-heres-how/

quote:

When Windows 10 was first released in July 2015, Microsoft offered an unprecedented free upgrade offer for Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 users, good through July 2016. But in 2017, Ed Bott from CNET's sister site ZDNet reported that the free upgrade tool was still functional. As of November 2019, readers still report that it works, Bott confirmed to CNET. I tried it out, and was able to upgrade a 2014 Dell OptiPlex 9020 desktop machine from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro.

edit : there is also some other ways to do it if you have a disability

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Godholio posted:

Nah, still works. There's a goon who sells cheap Windows 7 keys in SA-Mart that I've used a couple times in the past year.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It did not work when I had to reformat early 2018, and MS refused to work with me a bit. Guess my hax are weak.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Godholio posted:

poo poo still works even today, they just don't advertise it.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Godholio posted:

It did not work when I had to reformat early 2018, and MS refused to work with me a bit. Guess my hax are weak.

It works, as of this week.

Not sure why it didn’t work for you.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Worked for me as well when I reformatted and reinstalled earlier this year.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Melthir posted:

Plane over there, then 1 year doing maintenance on the CG ships and might sail with some of them for a bit. Rules are a lot more chill then navy's if it can bring a smile to the crew.

I have a gaming laptop from my previous deployment sitting on my coffee table doing nothing.

I7, 16gb RAM, GTX1060, 1920x1080, 512gb SSD.

Yours cheap if you want it since I never use it.

Doesn't scratch the build itch but it's more portable than a build.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

thats good enough to run mgsv so idk what else you would ever need

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Weird. Oh well. The new license was the cheapest thing I had to replace anyway, since a loving mobo SATA port straight up caught fire.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

A friend of mine just got a switch, but doesn’t know what games are good. She has Legend of Zelda on it, but what else is good/recommended?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Icon Of Sin posted:

A friend of mine just got a switch, but doesn’t know what games are good. She has Legend of Zelda on it, but what else is good/recommended?

Stardew Valley

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Icon Of Sin posted:

mario odyssey
mario kart
links awakening
smash bros
pokemon sword/shield
stardew valley
untitled goose game

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I’ll add Shovel Knight as well.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

collection of mana
dragon quest 11
final fantasy 7/8/9/10/12
fire emblem
golf story
pix the cat
puyo puyo tetris
wargroove
diablo 3

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Untitled goose game dropped on xbox game pass the other day. Gonna go honk.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Icon Of Sin posted:

Splatoon 2
Katmari Damacy

Unrelated:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPvKhFXc7ck

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Do flight sim videos go here? Because those airforceproud95 flight sim videos are hilarious.

poo poo like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgDRUQGcZmA

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Do flight sim videos go here? Because those airforceproud95 flight sim videos are hilarious.

poo poo like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgDRUQGcZmA

That guy has a fuckton of videos of casual sessions that won't really include a lot that'll knock you off your chair, but if you put in the effort, he has so many moments that have reduced me to tears of laughter, especially when he roleplays ATC.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPUNVJhwiaI

Flight Sim X is full of squeakers apparently, and all squeakers fly F-18s

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

unironically would play this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM3BoZkcYAQ

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Just ordered the last of my parts for my new computer:
Motherboard: MSI Performance Gaming B450 Gaming Pro Carbon
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8 Core 16 pthread 3.7Ghz base 4.3Ghz boost
Memory: 32 GB (2x 16GB modules) 3200Mhz DDR-4 RAM (G.Skill SniperX god what an awful name)
Storage: 2 x Intel 665p series M.2 NVME 1 TB storage
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 8GB

Got a sea sonic 650W gold rated PSU and Fractal Design case you round it all out. This should be enough PC to play anything coming out for a little while, right? I got a 1080P monitor and a keyboard/mouse and kept the total tab under $1400.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Kikas posted:

So... Fallout 76 has an exploit that allows hackers to steal directly from another players inventory. What can they steal?

loving everything. At once.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xehnhq38EHk

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
This goes over what exactly is happening. Long story short, if you're on public servers and someone is running that hack, they can steal your entire inventory with the click of a button as long as you are within rendering distance from the hacker. Your items are unrecoverable if stolen. The only way to not run the risk of getting jacked right now is to play on a Fallout 1st subscriber private server.

I have a sneaking suspicion that this won't get patched for a little while 🤔

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
This is what you get for playing Fallout 76

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Just ordered the last of my parts for my new computer:
Motherboard: MSI Performance Gaming B450 Gaming Pro Carbon
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8 Core 16 pthread 3.7Ghz base 4.3Ghz boost
Memory: 32 GB (2x 16GB modules) 3200Mhz DDR-4 RAM (G.Skill SniperX god what an awful name)
Storage: 2 x Intel 665p series M.2 NVME 1 TB storage
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 8GB

Got a sea sonic 650W gold rated PSU and Fractal Design case you round it all out. This should be enough PC to play anything coming out for a little while, right? I got a 1080P monitor and a keyboard/mouse and kept the total tab under $1400.

That's probably overkill for a 1080p monitor. I just bought nearly the same setup and it's pretty great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Yeah grab a 1440p monitor on the cheap and enjoy your half UHD gaming at half the price of a 4K rig and very little noticeable difference.