Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

1000 umbrellas posted:

For anyone interested in the ongoing colonial discussion, I have to recommend a recent book called The Gulf as well. There too you can read about how Spanish colonists stumbled upon a paradise of fresh streams, estuaries, abundant shellfish and fish, birds, and the civilizations that had been tending the area for centuries prior... and simply could not figure out how to survive without constantly wrecking their ships, importing more food from Spain, and killing everyone present who might show them a better way.

Then if you keep reading the book you can learn about how we're still loving the Gulf 500 years later and be truly unnerved.
dark emu by bruce pascoe is basically the australian equivalent to this, with the added insult that after massacring and subjugating the native people and absolutely loving up the country, the english settlers then spread the story that the indigenous australians were inherently backward because there was no evidence they'd ever developed infrastructure or agriculture (they had both, there was no evidence because the colonists burnt it all)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Murf the Surf

Jack Roland Murphy was a surfing champion in the 1960s and an all around popular guy. Then he dipped his hand in crime and pulled off the biggest jewel heist in US history to date. He got caught, did time and got back in the game once he was out - but then he did something far more heinous. This time around he found God while in the clink. Murf's story continues.

The Golden Gael has a new favorite as of 23:01 on Dec 7, 2019

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Crime in Sports did a 90 minute deep dive if that video catches your interest, it's called "#019 - Square Broads, and Floating Bodies - The Hubris of Jack Roland "Murph the Surf" Murphy" if you want to search for it.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
“Disembodied voice coming through the security camera” is in my top five skin-crawling thoughts, if anyone is updating their .xls for 2020.

Shortly after 8 p.m., both cameras started live-streaming and the Tiny Tim cover of “Tiptoe Through the Tulips,” a song that famously appeared in a scene from the 2010 horror film “Insidious,” poured from the speakers, LeMay said. At the time, she was out running errands, but her husband was home with the children.

It was this tune that first caught Alyssa’s attention, the 8-year-old told WMC.

“I thought it was my sister because I hear music. It’s like, ‘Tiptoe to the window,’ ” she said. “So I come upstairs and I hear some banging noise, I was like, ‘Who is that?’ ”

In the video recorded by the camera, the overly cheerful song is playing as Alyssa walks into the empty bedroom. The hacker’s sudden greeting prompts the girl to gasp and whip her head from side to side, frantically looking for the source.

From there, the exchange takes a dark turn.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Busket Posket posted:

“Disembodied voice coming through the security camera” is in my top five skin-crawling thoughts, if anyone is updating their .xls for 2020.

Shortly after 8 p.m., both cameras started live-streaming and the Tiny Tim cover of “Tiptoe Through the Tulips,” a song that famously appeared in a scene from the 2010 horror film “Insidious,” poured from the speakers, LeMay said. At the time, she was out running errands, but her husband was home with the children.

It was this tune that first caught Alyssa’s attention, the 8-year-old told WMC.

“I thought it was my sister because I hear music. It’s like, ‘Tiptoe to the window,’ ” she said. “So I come upstairs and I hear some banging noise, I was like, ‘Who is that?’ ”

In the video recorded by the camera, the overly cheerful song is playing as Alyssa walks into the empty bedroom. The hacker’s sudden greeting prompts the girl to gasp and whip her head from side to side, frantically looking for the source.

From there, the exchange takes a dark turn.

Why they keep referring to the hacker as a man, he sounds like a 13 year old that got lucky trying out passwords until one worked

Should still track him down and put him away for a 6 month stint

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Yeah, probably just running email/password combos from some data breach through the login page until they got a hit.

ALEXA PLEASE GASLIGHT MY EX!
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/23/technology/smart-home-devices-domestic-abuse.html

quote:

The people who called into the help hotlines and domestic violence shelters said they felt as if they were going crazy.

One woman had turned on her air-conditioner, but said it then switched off without her touching it. Another said the code numbers of the digital lock at her front door changed every day and she could not figure out why. Still another told an abuse help line that she kept hearing the doorbell ring, but no one was there.

Their stories are part of a new pattern of behavior in domestic abuse cases tied to the rise of smart home technology. Internet-connected locks, speakers, thermostats, lights and cameras that have been marketed as the newest conveniences are now also being used as a means for harassment, monitoring, revenge and control.

In more than 30 interviews with The New York Times, domestic abuse victims, their lawyers, shelter workers and emergency responders described how the technology was becoming an alarming new tool. Abusers — using apps on their smartphones, which are connected to the internet-enabled devices — would remotely control everyday objects in the home, sometimes to watch and listen, other times to scare or show power. Even after a partner had left the home, the devices often stayed and continued to be used to intimidate and confuse.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
To add to the Ring hack, Vice did a story on a Discord group that got really into it and did "prank" calls on a show. It seems like they're behind several of the bigger known ones. I guess people have been having a field day with the huge number of Rings and Nests going out to non-tech saavy people after they figured out a way to mass run leaked username/password combos.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/z3bbq4/podcast-livestreams-hacked-ring-cameras-nulledcast

Silver lining is that the group is freaking out and trying to cover their trail, so they might not have been careful enough to avoid getting busted.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/LivPosting/status/1206206694939910149?s=19

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

To add to the Ring hack, Vice did a story on a Discord group that got really into it and did "prank" calls on a show. It seems like they're behind several of the bigger known ones. I guess people have been having a field day with the huge number of Rings and Nests going out to non-tech saavy people after they figured out a way to mass run leaked username/password combos.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/z3bbq4/podcast-livestreams-hacked-ring-cameras-nulledcast

Silver lining is that the group is freaking out and trying to cover their trail, so they might not have been careful enough to avoid getting busted.

Silver lining would be things like Ring being stopped / secured properly. This just means there is a bit of a barrier between white hat / bored teenage hackers showing how insecure they are.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

:thermidor:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The start of the article is about whether or not their economy can support a high birth rate and how to improve it if not, which is a reasonable thing to ask.

However, the REST of the article... "Those poor Africans can't take care of themselves, the dumb idiots, it's a good thing we're here to make sure they are on the right track because they definitely can't be trusted with it ha ha"

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 07:10 on Dec 16, 2019

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Funny how countries outside of this one continent get to get their birth rates talked about individually instead of getting lumped together despite huge differences in their cultures and social changes.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Sarcopenia posted:

Funny how countries outside of this one continent get to get their birth rates talked about individually instead of getting lumped together despite huge differences in their cultures and social changes.
'African schools are terrible' and it's like, it's not all one country. :/

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010
When birth rate or education are discussed I usually see Europe get lumped into one or two homogeneous blobs, too.

Tehdas
Dec 30, 2012

Dylan16807 posted:

When birth rate or education are discussed I usually see Europe get lumped into one or two homogeneous blobs, too.

Makes more sense there, since they are all governed by one political entity.

Kiebland
Feb 22, 2012
If I recall correctly, isn’t the thing with a lot of African countries that they’re going through a similar population google that a lot of western/European countries did decades/a century ago? Something like “medical practices improved, births/pregnancies stayed the same but infant mortality dropped, eventually things level out”?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

My understanding is that there is a lot of, pardon the expression, low hanging fruit still out there with regards to health and wellness so even low cost and straight-forward things like mass vaccination and mosquito nets produce a pretty huge effect in reducing mortality rates, but the things that reduce birthrates like access to birth control (duh) are proportionately less accessible so there's a baby boom happening in a bunch of different African countries as a result.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
yeah, a lot of african countries (again, africa is a giant place and it's difficult/dangerous to just describe africa as a monolith) have been urbanizing and seeing a rising quality of living for decades. mostly because after decolonialization in the mid 20th century some nations stopped having all their wealth appropriated by european nations and with political stability and self-determination were able to retain and build on their own resources. nigeria especially has a huge population boom right now and it's one of the up and coming world economies

Azathoth posted:

My understanding is that there is a lot of, pardon the expression, low hanging fruit still out there with regards to health and wellness so even low cost and straight-forward things like mass vaccination and mosquito nets produce a pretty huge effect in reducing mortality rates, but the things that reduce birthrates like access to birth control (duh) are proportionately less accessible so there's a baby boom happening in a bunch of different African countries as a result.

this is definitely a contributing factor. but also, baby booms tend to happen when wages and standard of living increases but cost of living hasn't risen yet. one of the big universal restrictions on people having kids is kids being expensive to deal with (distinct from cultural factors like people preferencing family over individual autonomy)

Mr. Fall Down Terror has a new favorite as of 23:40 on Dec 17, 2019

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
So will african countries become the new china in terms of cheap manufacturing?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

They already are on their way. Also China itself has shed a lot of its famous cheap manufacturing to SEA.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 00:01 on Dec 18, 2019

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Just adding on, but yeah, unless the data's changed much from my Econ classes on developing countries a few years ago, the baby boom that's directly caused by massive reductions in infant mortality evens out naturally after about 10 or 20 years when people realize that their kids will probably survive to adulthood. You don't even really have to do anything, just riding it out isn't too bad of a solution. Add in a little sex ed, access to birth control, back up the most basic of women's rights and it's easy as hell to "fix." Because, shockingly, people don't usually want massive families. This pretty much bore out across South America, from what I remember.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

South Africa would be the one to go all in on that, I'd think. Their national power company (Eskom) is about to go tits-up though, the latest round of brown-outs/black-outs crippled the economy. Not a good look for investors, along with a whoooole long list of other poo poo going wrong. Now, SA does have a decent relationship with the PRC but I don't know if they'd be willing to fix more than one problem at a time (and there are always more problems).

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Just adding on, but yeah, unless the data's changed much from my Econ classes on developing countries a few years ago, the baby boom that's directly caused by massive reductions in infant mortality evens out naturally after about 10 or 20 years when people realize that their kids will probably survive to adulthood. You don't even really have to do anything, just riding it out isn't too bad of a solution. Add in a little sex ed, access to birth control, back up the most basic of women's rights and it's easy as hell to "fix." Because, shockingly, people don't usually want massive families. This pretty much bore out across South America, from what I remember.

There are also economic factors; if you're all subsistence farmers you need to have a ton of kids to help out on the farm. Aside from infant mortality you just need a crap ton of new people who start working on the farm very young. Once things improve enough that sending your kids to school is a thing that you can do that usually goes hand in hand with improved medical care and lower infant mortality anyway. All of those things need certain kinds of infrastructure and education to even be possible in the first place.

This actually gets into territory that is exactly the reason why economics is called the dismal science. If you don't have many resources and need your children to work on the farm you can't invest much in their future so you just have like a dozen children and hope for the best. If you have the resources to invest in their future then you have far fewer but put effort into making sure they'll do well. It's a numbers game in the end. People are not stupid and fix that sort of thing themselves, really. Even if they don't it's a problem that fixes itself in many ways. If your infant mortality rate is extremely high but you decide to have fewer children as a society then your society dies. Of course one of the big issues is that once a society finds that it has too many people and can't keep them all fed the society tends to get unruly and start beating its neighbors up.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 01:17 on Dec 18, 2019

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

not quite, china becoming the world's factory is mostly because the chinese government has tremendous reach to engage in state subsidy of industrial development and infrastructure which is hard for anyone else to replicate on the same scale

african nations will definitely be manufacturing stuff for each other though as their economies continue to develop, and some economies may skip this step and just go straight towards a complex service sector. nigeria does a ton of resource extraction (oil, so much oil, and minerals) and resource based manufacturing. the largest oil refinery in the world is under construction in nigeria. kenya on the other hand invests a lot in education and is trying to grow their financial and technical service provision to the point that a lot of multinational corporations put regional headquarters in nairobi

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Here you go:

Giant church tries to bring child back from the dead.

No, she is not in a coma on life support. She is dead and her body is at the coroner’s.

Faith healing is a big thing at this church, which gave rise to ”dead raising teams”, and the School of Supernatural Ministry they call “Christian Hogwarts” because of course they do.

Other spiritual hijinks the Bethel Church enjoys include ”grave sucking” and trying to walk through walls.

Obviously it is tragic that a little girl died unexpectedly, and that her mom, who is a music leader at Bethel Church, is being supported in this terrible delusion instead of being supported in grief and allowed to being the painful work of mourning, but what the actual gently caress century are these people even living in?

Edit to add: they can all die in a fire and not be raised from the ashes.

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 07:43 on Dec 18, 2019

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

[ Bacteria Church - Present Day ]

IT IS THROUGH OUT PRAYERS ALONE THAT WE INFEST THIS CHILD

( bacteria cheer )

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

A lot of African countries already have pretty low and still falling birth rates, although I'm not immediately aware of any that have dropped below replacement. Some of them seem to be set to level out at a p tolerably low density. Some are not doing great tho. Egypt for example has more population than they want given their precarious agricultural situation and still have comparably hefty growth, Mali and I think the CAR have massive growth and an even worse agricultural situation and generally worse economy, Burundi has a p bad population density, and I have a really bad feeling about Nigeria, which, although relatively prosperous and booming economically, has a bunch of growth, high density, and preexisting ongoing low-grade civil war. Also parts of megametropolis Lagos are threatened by sea level rise I think?

None of them are as hosed as Bangladesh tho. They have a really bad economy, a density that is up there with some urban fuckin areas, and half of those people live at sea level. All their neighbors hate muslims too. I think a year or two ago they took in a couple hundred thousand muslim Rohingya that were ethnically cleansed from Thailand and are currently in the process of moving them to an island that is flooded periodically. There's a hundred and sixty million of them and it's not like someone is gonna take in 40 million poor poorly educated people once the sea level has risen by half a metre.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

AlbieQuirky posted:

Here you go:

No, she is not in a coma on life support. She is dead and her body is at the coroner’s.

Faith healing is a big thing at this church, which gave rise to ”dead raising teams”, and the School of Supernatural Ministry they call “Christian Hogwarts” because of course they do.

Other spiritual hijinks the Bethel Church enjoys include ”grave sucking” and trying to walk through walls.

Obviously it is tragic that a little girl died unexpectedly, and that her mom, who is a music leader at Bethel Church, is being supported in this terrible delusion instead of being supported in grief and allowed to being the painful work of mourning, but what the actual gently caress century are these people even living in?

David Koresh got a rival spiritual leader arrested when he challenged Koresh to a resurrection contest to prove who was worthy of leadership. Koresh agreed to the contest, then had a follower take pictures of the freshly disinterred corpse, which were promptly given to law enforcement.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Azathoth posted:

David Koresh got a rival spiritual leader arrested when he challenged Koresh to a resurrection contest to prove who was worthy of leadership. Koresh agreed to the contest, then had a follower take pictures of the freshly disinterred corpse, which were promptly given to law enforcement.

That’s extremely clever.

Tony Alamo kept his wife Susan’s body in their house for six months because he was going to raise her from the dead any day now. Then he moved her to a mausoleum in their yard.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

AlbieQuirky posted:

Here you go:

I know a guy who used to be big into this church and showed him the article and said it was the least surprising thing he’d ever read. He told me they had classes on how to speak in tongues and prayer study groups leaders would keep tabs on who was really putting the work into speaking in tongues and who was just going through the motions. They also used to record all the Bible groups in case anyone started to spontaneously started to spout out prophecies like a Diviniation class at Hogwarts.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

TOOELE, Utah (CBS Local) — A man found dead in a freezer may have planned to keep his death a secret to help his wife collect government benefits, police in Utah said.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

:smithicide:

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/khadastrophic/status/1207170281036505088?s=19

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

they're trying to scare olds with kids who deliver, scared olds are their bread and butter

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

There's something odd about that story. Besides the murder, I mean.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Im just personally happy that my cousins Aren't consistently dying before they even hit puberty anymore and that young people stopped listening to the white missionairies
Which means using condoms instead of abstinence. and I come from a hick rear end town. If they are worried about population increase in my country they are literally worrying about people getting used to people not dying around them constantly.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
Tesco halts roll-out of charity Christmas cards after girl, 6, finds note from Chinese inmates

The message, in capital letters, inside Florence's card said: "We are foreign prisoners in Shanghai Qingpu prison China.

"Forced to work against our will. Please help us and notify human rights organisation.”

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balmoral,_New_South_Wales_(Southern_Highlands)

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

gently caress. I’d been seeing melting roads, lawn decorations heating up enough to cause brushfires, countless animals scurrying to where they might find shade and/or water, but I didn’t know a whole-rear end place was gone now. I wish we could tugboat some of Australia piece by piece to the Gulf Coast to soak up some water from Louisiana then head back south.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
From the C-SPAM alt-right thread